PDA

View Full Version : Are you living in a Western or Eastern Civilization?

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 22nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
So the question is are you living in a Western or Eastern Civilization? When i say that, I mean are you living in a West or East oriented civilization?
The definition is as follows:
East is until Japan
West is until America

The wrong definition is:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/terminology.png
(xkcd, terminology. Number 503)

Do not start a flamewar thank you very much.

Also, some people consider Russia and England to be Western oriented (even though in the middle or East)

s0nido
August 22nd, 2009, 02:41 AM
Well, according to your description, I think I'm living in the West. Yay!

Surf
August 22nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
Me?
I'm living in the West.

Trap-Eds
August 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
I live in Arizona, USA. The West of the West. xP

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
east coast babe for me

:t354:TG

Ven
August 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Vancouver British Columbia, So west.

Timbjerr
August 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm in North America, so West. :P

JoltIce
August 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
I live in Kentucky, so east of the west xD

Captain Hobo.
August 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I live in Canada so west.

.little monster
August 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Just so you all know, this is has nothing to do with geographical location. Just the life style is the norm in your country.

Some Western Countries are:
- The U.S.
- Canada
- U.K.
- Australia
- New Zealand

Spread out across the world. Also, for a country to be 'Westernize' it has to be 'Christianized.' Basically a Western Country is a country with the majority of the Religious people being Christian (or Jewish.) Here is a map:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/jefferyhodges/Westerncultures_map.png

I hope that helps people.

I live in a Western Country...

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
Just so you all know, this is has nothing to do with geographical location. Just the life style is the norm in your country.

Some Western Countries are:
- The U.S.
- Canada
- U.K.
- Australia
- New Zealand

Spread out across the world. Also, for a country to be 'Westernize' it has to be 'Christianized.' Basically a Western Country is a country with the majority of the Religious people being Christian (or Jewish.) Here is a map:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/jefferyhodges/Westerncultures_map.png

I hope that helps people.

I live in a Western Country...This is exactly what I'm asking. Thanks for clarifying that.

Zorua
August 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Livin' in the Western side cause I'm awesome. <3

Caelus
August 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I live in the US, and its a western civilization, so that.

Citrinin
August 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I'm living in New Zealand, which is a Western Civilisation.

Aurafire
August 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I do believe the US is a western civilization, so that would be my answer :O

Rokusasu
August 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Western, 'cause I live in England. 8D

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
August 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Go teh kinda epic western civilisation of england!

Esper
August 23rd, 2009, 07:52 PM
For any hypothetical members there, what about someone living Ethiopia? (That's in Africa if ya didn't know) It's a Christian country, but not a European or European-based country.

I'm in an "Eastern Civilization" country, btw. よろしくお願いします。 *kowtows*

Cassino
August 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I am the white man, the race which leaves a wake of destruction wherever its people tread.

Would be nice to be Ukrainian or something, but oh well.

Idiot!
August 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I am probably living in the Eastern World, and sometimes I hate the fact.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
August 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Uh, Western, like most of the people in this thread.

Synaesthesia
August 24th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I am living in a Western civilization.

.. :D

Haz
August 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Australia and Western (But not Western Australia :P)

Wings Don't Cry
August 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I live in New Zealand, we live in a western civilization but according to you it's Eastern.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I live in New Zealand, we live in a western civilization but according to you it's Eastern.
I was referring to the US with that picture. New Zealand is a Western Civilization.

Lady Gaga
August 25th, 2009, 06:12 AM
uh...im Canadian. so west...right? >.<
(i hope im getting this right. i was the only one in my class that when given a map, knew that crossing the Pacific ocean was a faster way of getting to Japan. Not the other way. everybody was skeptical, since they thought there was a whole other side of the world. but no...i knew ;D)

Horizon
August 25th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Well I suppose, according to you, I am in an Eastern Country. But, those countries that are termed to be in "Western Civilization" are all MEDCs, whereas Eastern are coined as LEDCs. Simple geography, people.

Mitchman
August 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Europe. Eastern Europe. So I guess east?

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Europe. Eastern Europe. So I guess east?
Actually, Europe is West unless you have an Eastern-like culture.

.little monster
August 25th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Well I suppose, according to you, I am in an Eastern Country. But, those countries that are termed to be in "Western Civilization" are all MEDCs, whereas Eastern are coined as LEDCs. Simple geography, people.
It has nothing to do with geography, this isn't asking "Do you live on the west or east part of the world?" It's asking what kind of Civilization you live in, and the two most common are Eastern and Western, of which have nothing to do with geography. If it did the following countries would not be called Western Countries:

All of the North and South American continents.
Western Europe
South Africa
Australia
New Zealand
Israel
Iceland

(Yes I know the first two aren't countries. :|)

And various nations spread across the world. Whether a country is classified as a Western or Eastern country has nothing to do with its geographical location. Read my earlier post if you want more detail.

Actually, Europe is West unless you have an Eastern-like culture.

Actually, parts of Eastern Europe (and Russia, which I never say is Eastern Europe because it's on the Asian continent for the most part) are not Eastern or Western. They are all Orthodox for the most part. However, it is not rare for Islamic (Eastern) and Western cultures to appear.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Clash_of_Civilizations_map.png

Some notes:

South Africa is considered both an African and Western civilization due to it being colonized by Western Europeans.
Israel is a mix of Islamic and Western civilization, those do not coincide together as peacefully as in South Africa.
Latin American civilization is basically the same as Western civilization since the thing that makes a country Western is if it is Christian-based, which Latin America is Catholic based. Catholicism is a branch of Christianity.

Horizon
August 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
It has nothing to do with geography, this isn't asking "Do you live on the west or east part of the world?" It's asking what kind of Civilization you live in, and the two most common are Eastern and Western, of which have nothing to do with geography.

I'm not saying that, I am referring to the division of countries using the LEDC/MEDC method, as the two types of civilization you refer to have soem bearing on the economic development of said country. Ergo, most, if not all, countries that are referred to as Western are above the line, hence MEDCs, and those below (LEDCs) are referred to as Eastern.

I'm not sayign that it is solely based on this, but as I say it does have some bearing on the society. I have studied this, but only at a near basic level. I tried to find a diagram, but the only one I can find is nowhere near big enough to demonstrate my point.

EDIT: But I can give it a shot. (http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2428/48936549.jpg)