PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: "You are invited to The PokéCommunity Get-Together!"

AJ™
August 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
I just recieved an email with that subject -
Why not put everyone's emails in the BCC instead of displaying bunches of emails susceptible to Spam-Botting?

Ooka
August 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
They probably just selected mass e-mail in the ACP? But I agree with ya.

AJ™
August 23rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
They probably just selected mass e-mail in the ACP? But I agree with ya.

That's true. I just thought that perhaps this was a large safety breach.

Rukario
August 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
there are twio main reason, neither 'security' approved unfortunately..

1) most spam filters and whatnot actually look for mass email addys in the BCC field.
2) the email were sent 100 - 150 at a time and it is quite hard (well not hard, but time consuming) to add bcc field in most clients as well as you STILL need a "to" address and would have slowed the sending even more then it was.

note: if these were sent from the ACP, then all would have been just fine but you all would have only received a basic text only message.. Jake wanted the html / image so that's why it was done that way.

Hiroshi Sotomura
August 25th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Even the Admin CP's mass emailer is hard to work with, but it does give you guys the privacy of not having a batch-of-hundred emails given out - if that caused you all inconvenience then this is my issue and I sincerely apologise if it causes your email to be filled with SPAM. :|

I did attempt to ensure that the email went out to members (and staff) and not those whose email was unverified (nor banned members), so if any SPAM comes in, either they are SPAM aggregators who joined PC just to put in an email address (pointless, by the way) or their email has turned into a SPAM manifest address.