PDA

View Full Version : US Senator Edward Kennedy dies at Age 77

Netto Azure
August 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Senator Edward Kennedy dies at 77 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8221686.stm)
Obama leads tributes to Kennedy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8222799.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46269000/jpg/_46269215_007848987-1.jpg

This is the cause of my life... Now the issue has more meaning for me - and more urgency - than ever before, but it's always been deeply personal, because the importance of healthcare has been a recurrent lesson throughout most of my 77 years

-Senator Kennedy's Newsweek article on healthcare, July 2009 (http://www.newsweek.com/id/207406/)

The liberal lion's mighty roar may now fall silent, but his dream shall never die

Veteran US Senator Edward Kennedy, the brother of former President John F Kennedy, has died at 77, after a long battle with a brain tumour.

He became a Democratic Massachusetts senator in 1962, replacing his brother when he resigned to become president, and was re-elected seven times.
Senator Kennedy was a dominant force in US politics for almost 50 years.
President Barack Obama, of whom he was an active supporter, said he was "heartbroken" to hear of his death.
"An important chapter in our history has come to an end," he said in a statement.
"Our country has lost a great leader, who picked up the torch of his fallen brothers and became the greatest United States senator of our time."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif
Later, in a televised tribute, Mr Obama described him as one of the "most accomplished Americans to serve our democracy".
Senator Kennedy had championed issues such as education and healthcare, central to Mr Obama's first term.
In 2006, Time magazine named him as one of America's "Ten Best Senators", saying that he had "amassed a titanic record of legislation affecting the lives of virtually every man, woman and child in the country".
The BBC's Richard Lister in Washington says Senator Kennedy, known affectionately as Teddy, will be remembered as one of the most effective and popular legislators in American history.

Our correspondent says he was also skilled at forging alliances across party lines: pushing an education initiative with President George W Bush, and immigration reform with Republican John McCain.
But he was a fierce critic of the Bush administration, in particular over Iraq and the prisoner abuse scandal.
He will also be remembered as a staunch supporter of Irish Republicanism - at one time calling for British troops to leave Northern Ireland - although he was later involved in the peace process leading to the Good Friday Agreement.
Senate Majority leader Harry Reid said the Kennedy family and the Senate had "together lost our patriarch".

"The liberal lion's mighty roar may now fall silent, but his dream shall never die," he said.
UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown said that Senator Kennedy would be "mourned not just in America but in every continent".
"Even facing illness and death, he never stopped fighting for the causes which were his life's work.
"I am proud to have counted him as a friend."

'Joyous light'

Dawn broke over Washington's Capitol building, the home of the Senate, with the US flag flying at half mast.
The Kennedy family announced Senator Kennedy's death in a brief statement in the early hours of Wednesday.

"Edward M Kennedy, the husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle we loved so deeply, died late Tuesday night at home in Hyannis Port (Massachusetts)," the statement said.
"We've lost the irreplaceable centre of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever."
Edward Kennedy was the only one of four brothers not to die a violent death.
His brother Joseph was killed in an air crash in World War II, and both President John F Kennedy and presidential hopeful Robert F Kennedy were assassinated in the 1960s.
He was widely expected to be the next Kennedy in the White House, but he was never able to fully overcome the scandal caused in 1969, when he drove a car off a bridge at Chappaquiddick near his home, killing his female passenger.
The incident helped derail his only presidential bid, more than a decade later.
But he remained active in politics right up until his death, famously endorsing Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination during a tight race with Hillary Clinton last year.
At his death, he was the third longest serving senator in US history.
Last week, he asked the Massachusetts governor to change state law to allow a speedy succession when his Senate seat became vacant.
Analysts suggest that Senator Kennedy feared a lengthy gap could deny Democrats a crucial vote on Mr Obama's flagship health reform.
His death comes weeks after that of his older sister, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, on 11 August.

Rest in Peace Senator Ted Kennedy.

He has done so much to bring us to this point of US Legislative History...

:<

twocows
August 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jordan
August 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I may disagree with him on....everything, but at least he is an inspirational figure for many and, at heart, a good man. Rest in peace, Senator.

.Seth
August 26th, 2009, 02:14 PM
twocows, that was awesome. @w@
I forgot who he is...last one of the Kennedy's, or something?

Oh well, he will be remembered.
:|

Devil's Guitarist
August 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm not from USA but rest in peace man....
i really liked his ideas...

Lucy Lu
August 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
He was a wonderful politician. He would have been a great President that is for sure. And the thing is this health care debate is going on..and he was everyone's last hope. He probably had thought of something to end this insanity. But I guess it won't happen now. :< And I just read on about him on Wiki about three weeks ago about his sister. And now he is dead. He has been fighting really hard to get rid of that cancer. But I guess he lost the battle. He is in a better place now. Let he rest in peace...

*salutes on the flag twocows made*

Alex_
August 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

♣Gawain♣
August 27th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I know a lot about Pres. JFK, but not really his brother. But I think he's a good senator.
R.I.P.

Captain Hobo.
August 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM
That is so sad R.I.P. Edward Kennedy.

twocows
August 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'd like to mention that while his name was Edward Kennedy, everybody (news media and friends alike) called him "Ted," and I think it would be more appropriate to use his preferred name than his given name.

Netto Azure
August 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Obama tribute to 'mentor' Kennedy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8228229.stm)

President Barack Obama has paid tribute to his "friend and mentor", Edward Kennedy, at the senator's funeral Mass in Boston. Mr Obama said Senator Kennedy was the "greatest legislator of our time" and a "champion for those who had none".
The body of Senator Kennedy, who died on Tuesday of brain cancer aged 77, will be flown to Washington.
He will be buried there in Arlington National Cemetery near his assassinated brothers, ex-President John and Robert.
During a two-day public viewing at the John F Kennedy Presidential Library, some 50,000 people paid their respects before the Massachusetts senator's flag-draped coffin.

Private meeting

President Obama said in his eulogy at the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Basilica: "I knew him as a colleague, a mentor and above all as a friend."

He called Senator Kennedy a "kind and tender hero", adding: "He was the soul of the Democratic Party and the lion of the US Senate."
The president pointed to some of the tragedies that had befallen the Kennedy family, saying: "It is a string of events that would have broken a lesser man... but that was not Ted Kennedy."
The president said: "His resilience and good humour would see Ted Kennedy through more pain and tragedy than most of us will ever know."
Among the guests attending Saturday's Roman Catholic Mass were former Presidents George W Bush, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, as well as some 80 serving and former senators.
Dozens of Kennedy relatives attended the service.
Senator Kennedy's son, Ted Kennedy Jnr, said it had not always been easy living with the Kennedy name but that he was "never more proud of it than today".
In a heartfelt, emotional and at times humorous tribute to his father, he said: "He was not perfect but he believed in redemption. He never stopped trying to right wrongs, whether they were the result of his failings or of ours."

A succession of nieces, nephews and grandsons also delivered tributes to Senator Kennedy.
Ahead of the service, family members had gathered for a brief prayer at the John F Kennedy library.
Senator Kennedy's widow Vicki fought back tears as the coffin was then removed to be taken to the basilica.
Mr Kennedy's body is now to be flown to Andrews Air Force Base in Washington.
The coffin will be driven past the US Capitol and along the National Mall before the burial.

'Thank you Teddy'
Three days of ceremonies to commemorate the senator's life began on Thursday with a private family Mass at the family property in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts.

His body was then driven in a long procession to Boston along roads lined with thousands of mourners - some waving American flags, others holding up signs that read "Thank you Teddy".

After the public paid their respects in Boston, a three-hour memorial service described as a "celebration of life" began at the JFK library on Friday evening.
In keeping with the Kennedy family's Irish heritage, the service featured laughter and music, as well as tributes to the senator, who had long been the leader of one of America's great political dynasties.
In the US, Mr Kennedy's death has been seen as the end of an era, following the assassinations of his brothers in 1963 and 1968.
In a televised tribute on Wednesday, Mr Obama said Mr Kennedy had achieved "extraordinary good" and was "one of the most accomplished Americans ever to serve our democracy".
But others have noted that his legacy of public service was counter-balanced by heavy drinking in his early years - and the death of a female companion, Mary Jo Kopechne, in 1969 when he drove off a bridge at Chappaquiddick in Massachusetts and fled the scene.

Rest in Peace Senator Ted Kennedy...

Enduring power of a polarising politician (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8222160.stm)

Owl
August 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Rest In Peace....You will be remebered

øbliteration
August 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I may disagree with him on....everything, but at least he is an inspirational figure for many and, at heart, a good man. Rest in peace, Senator.

^ this.
R.I.P. A pioneering senator who (I disagree with) was determined in his goals.