PDA

View Full Version : Movies you hated that most people liked

Danielle The Great
August 29th, 2009, 06:18 AM
What movies did you hate, that you think are overrated? Why do you think they were bad?

Here's an example (really, this is actually my opinion):
UP. Wow. I was so excited to see this movie and it was such a real bummer. I personally believe Pixar could have done a lot better with it, and I think it sucked because the plot was not really that interesting.
I understand that a lot of people thought it was a good movie but I thought it wasn't that great.

Remember, this is an opinion topic, and other people can disagree but not flame.

kgo

The Darkest Gale
August 29th, 2009, 06:22 AM
DISASTER MOVIE!
it was so god damn freaky and weird
I thought it would be awesome like most people said but you know
and the chipmunks >_> see what I'm saying

Owl
August 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Harry Potter and Twilight :/ I didn't really like either of them, the books were better.

Danielle The Great
August 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Harry Potter and Twilight :/ I didn't really like either of them, the books were better.

Agreed.
Like.
Totally agreed. Movies based off of book series usually suck xD

...and books which were based off of movies are really short.

icomeanon6
August 29th, 2009, 06:40 AM
TRANSFORMERS 2. God, it seemed like everyone who wasn't a critic just loved it for some reason, even though it SUCKED SO BAD (pardon my shouting). Seriously, it had totally unconvincing characters, embarrassingly bad dialogue, and even the action scenes--which there were too many of--were downright crap. There was never any genuinely impressive fighting in the entire film, just a bunch of metal crashing together in a manner that leaves the audience wondering which robot is which. Here's a funny bit: They thought for some reason that the Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington DC was in a desert surrounded by mountains.

I regret every minute I spent watching Transformers 2.

EDIT:
Movies based off of book series usually suck xDCounter-example: The Lord of the Rings.
Another counter-example: 2001.
Another counter-example: The Manchurian Candidate. (The old one)
Another counter-example: A Clockwork Orange.
Another counter-example: Planet of the Apes. (The old one)
Another counter-example: I Am Legend.

Graceful
August 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
For me it's Mamma Mia! The Actors were badly chosen. Abba were better....

Owl
August 29th, 2009, 07:23 AM
For me it's Mamma Mia! The Actors were badly chosen. Abba were better....
True, that movie is annoying >.< but thats just my opnion

Vyro
August 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM
TRANSFORMERS 2. God, it seemed like everyone who wasn't a critic just loved it for some reason, even though it SUCKED SO BAD (pardon my shouting). Seriously, it had totally unconvincing characters, embarrassingly bad dialogue, and even the action scenes--which there were too many of--were downright crap. There was never any genuinely impressive fighting in the entire film, just a bunch of metal crashing together in a manner that leaves the audience wondering which robot is which. Here's a funny bit: They thought for some reason that the Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington DC was in a desert surrounded by mountains.

EDIT:
Counter-example: The Lord of the Rings.

Yet another counter-example: Shrek. Yes, It was a book.

Lady Gaga
August 29th, 2009, 07:25 AM
well, i actually liked most of the things you guys said, but i agree, Mamma Mia sucked. I was sad it was the last thing I watched/did in 2008 T_T
it was so bad, me and my mom did not even watch the end. Seriously, i dont know how Mamma Mia ends >.<

EDIT: Shrek rocks, but the multiple sequels ruined it =/

The Darkest Gale
August 29th, 2009, 07:27 AM

EDIT:

I disagree I'm sorry it was awesome I mean it was at the sae time
I actually loved every second although I have admit why was that girl a transforer an stuff

MAMMA MIA always sucked in opinion so did ABBA but oh well my opinion

HyPeRsHoCk
August 29th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Step Brothers is waaaaayyyy overrated. I only laughed like twice or something like that. Same with Talladega Nights.

Vyro
August 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
well, i actually liked most of the things you guys said, but i agree, Mamma Mia sucked. I was sad it was the last thing I watched/did in 2008 T_T
it was so bad, me and my mom did not even watch the end. Seriously, i dont know how Mamma Mia ends >.<

EDIT: Shrek rocks, but the multiple sequels ruined it =/

Yes, Shrek does rock. but that one should have been the end.

Luck
August 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Transformers 2. Icomeanon6 basically summed all of it up, but there were so much useless characters included. That robot with the beard, the humping dogs, the robot that shoots by doing a pelvic thrust. And since when does going to college actually have an impact on the story in transformers?

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
August 29th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Counter-counter-example: The Golden Compass :D

Nah, I take your point, but that movie sucked, big time.

Cassino
August 29th, 2009, 09:09 AM
The Simpsons Movie, anyone?

Well yeah, the series is much better. It's not a bad thing to be watching, it just runs on for much longer than an episode which could go over the same story while focusing on the funny parts, and unless I'm missing something The Simpsons was always about family comedy.

twocows
August 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM
DISASTER MOVIE!
it was so god damn freaky and weird
I thought it would be awesome like most people said but you know
and the chipmunks >_> see what I'm saying
I think the question was movies that other people actually liked. Nobody in their right mind liked that heaping pile.

As for me, I'm not really a fan of movies, nor do I listen much to what people say about their movie likes or dislikes.

Camisado
August 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
My problem is that I am terrified of horror movies, when about 90% of my friends enjoy them.

Never, ever again do I want to watch Dog Soldiers. I even got creeped out watching Shaun of the Dead.

Esper
August 29th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Kill Bill and anything else by Quentin Tarantino. I'm not a fan of mindless violence because it's, well, mindless.

Samme!
August 29th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Dark Night, Transformers, and all horror movies

Feign
August 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Let's se...

300, The Hangover, The Ugly Truth, Twilight (including the book).

Pretty much in those movies, I felt my brain dying. I pity any girl who likes Twilight...

As for Transformers 2, I had low expectations, but was expecting lot's of Baysplosions, if you had tried to count how many there were, you'd have lost count in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

HyPeRsHoCk
August 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
My problem is that I am terrified of horror movies, when about 90% of my friends enjoy them.

Never, ever again do I want to watch Dog Soldiers. I even got creeped out watching Shaun of the Dead.

Rofl! That's funny. *Ahem* Sorry. But you need to watch 28 Days Later if you "like" Shaun of the Dead. ;) I don't really like horror movies, as they make me paranoid like everyone who watches them. But I thought 28 Days was worth it. It's pretty epic.

Suki
August 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM
The latest Harry Potter movie? Yeah, wasn't that good but I had to tell my friends it was cuz they would have killed meee. Anyway, Unknown? I think that's what it's called, but yeah the ending was f~ing crap!

EDIT: Knowing! lmao, not Unknown. Bad bad memory.

HyPeRsHoCk
August 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
The latest Harry Potter movie? Yeah, wasn't that good but I had to tell my friends it was cuz they would have killed meee. Anyway, Unknown? I think that's what it's called, but yeah the ending was f~ing crap!

EDIT: Knowing! lmao, not Unknown. Bad bad memory.

Totally. I think it could have been a decent movie....MAYBE IF THE STALKER DUDES WEREN'T FREAKING ANGELS!

.Wolfie-kun.
August 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
High School Musical, Camp Rock, Hannah Montana... and so on...

... Yeah, enough said >.>

Wings Don't Cry
August 29th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I don't see why people are saying Transformer's 2 had unnecessary characters, if you've seen the original Transformers you'd think they had 200 characters short.

One movie I really can't stand is Twilight, just horrible to me. Also High School Musical 3, I remember half my school talking about going to see it and I tagged along and yea not so great.

JP
August 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Totally. I think it could have been a decent movie....MAYBE IF THE STALKER DUDES WEREN'T FREAKING ANGELS!

Angels? I thought they were just aliens. Maybe doing an angels job? But I don't think they were angels...

And to whomever said The Dark Knight....BLASPHEMY! :( :P I do hate all the people who are major fans of the film just because of Heath Ledger's role as The Joker though. Drives me insane. He was great, but he wasn't the only great actor in the movie. >___>
</offtopic>

Feign
August 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Angels? I thought they were just aliens. Maybe doing an angels job? But I don't think they were angels...

And to whomever said The Dark Knight....BLASPHEMY! :( :P I do hate all the people who are major fans of the film just because of Heath Ledger's role as The Joker though. Drives me insane. He was great, but he wasn't the only great actor in the movie. >___>
</offtopic>

Reminds me of one reviewer who not only reviewed Dark Knight badly, but also Wall-E. I believe she gave high ratings to some really crappy films (no not the Disney ones), but I still suspect she was paid off...

Chloè
August 29th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Let me just say, the hate will come after I post this... but most people are to stuck in thier 12 year old pre-teen fantasy world to understand.

TWILIGHT Worst movie EVER. Acting was horrible. Everyone was not even "attractive" ... I mean... it was just bad... horrible, making a mockery out of Vampires. >.< The girl who played bella SUCKED. She can't even act.
(Taylor Lautner was okay) But, seriously, If I had the chance to. I would punch whats his face... the one who played edward cullen in the face...
The books are much better, but still not "amazing"

Azonic
August 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I don't hate the Dark Knight, but I definitely wouldn't say that its as good as everyone says. :(

And oh my god... Napoleon Dynamite. D8 Absolute worst movie... ever; yet everyone is in love with it. The whole movie, the characters were like -.- durrr hurr |B -braindead-. It was ridiculous.

edit: i hate haters of transformers grr

Alli
August 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I can totally quote Napoleon Dynamite, and yes, I love the Dark Knight mainly for Ledger.

Year One sucked a bunch of arse. I don't even know why I bothered. Everyone else in the theater found it quite hilarious.

Klippy
August 29th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Any movie Will Ferrel is in is downright bad to me. That guy is such an unfunny, lousy actor. I think one of the few movies he was in that I enjoyed was Stranger Than Fiction. But he's got some decent enough movies out. :/

Also, if anyone actually found The Goods funny, I would be amazed. It seriously looked like the worst movie ever, haha. But that's just my opinion. I usually like movies that most people dislike.

TRIFORCE89
August 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I don't hate the Dark Knight, but I definitely wouldn't say that its as good as everyone says. :(

And oh my god... Napoleon Dynamite. D8 Absolute worst movie... ever; yet everyone is in love with it. The whole movie, the characters were like -.- durrr hurr |B -braindead-. It was ridiculous.

edit: i hate haters of transformers grr

I love The Dark Knight

But I agree with you on the other two. Watched Napoleon Dynamite in school once for some reason. Just...so... stupid. And not even stupid funny. Just stupid stupid.

And Transformers is boring.

JP
August 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Haha, yeah Napoleon Dynamite was definitely one of those. That and Borat. I came out of watching Borat thinking "what the hell was that?" and not laughing once during the film. =/

michele
August 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
rocky horror picture show. everyone i know was like "OMG that's such an amazing movie!" and then i saw it and it really wasn't that good. at all. :\

poopnoodle
August 31st, 2009, 12:20 PM
I must agree with "UP," I thought it'd be this unforgettable religious experience. I was kind of expecting abstract cinematography with the underlying message being inspiration to live life fully, but it was actually pretty gloomy for a film primarily aimed at young audiences. Beautifully rendered, though.

Other than that, I'd have to say "The Happening." Celebrities were promoting it, my friends were flipping shart when it came out...sorry, but "The Sixth Sense" was Shyamalamadingdong's prime, his other work to me is unimpressive. I think he, as a director, is exceedingly overrated. "The Happening" was just silly. The acting was embarassing, the plot was boring and shamelessly illogical. I understand he was trying to divulge this "humanity should probz stop exploiting every single species the world has provided including its own, if we continue to be so wicked we'll only end up killing ourselves" political statement, but it was poorly and mindlessly executed. "That's not an idea, Mr. Shyamalan, that's a twist!"

Let me just say, the hate will come after I post this... but most people are to stuck in thier 12 year old pre-teen fantasy world to understand.*loves you for bravely dissing Twilight...those fans are rabid*

:3
August 31st, 2009, 12:32 PM
rocky horror picture show. everyone i know was like "OMG that's such an amazing movie!" and then i saw it and it really wasn't that good. at all. :\

OMG YES. This theater called the Garland Theater plays it every once in a while. and everyone dresses up, screams out lines, squirts squirt guns, throws toilet paper, etc.

And it makes the movie very unenjoyable. (sp?)
:p

Jazmine Marie
August 31st, 2009, 12:35 PM
I loathe the movie 'The Princess Bride'. I cannot comprehend why people think it's a good movie. We ended up watching it at least four times in Band last year because people were obsessed with it. :cer_pissed:

I'm also not a fan of:
- Twilight [Gah! It was just horrendous!!]
- Harry Potter 3 -6 [Don't even bother sticking to the storyline!]
- Transformers 2 [So much unnecessary sexuality added! When I go to see an action movie, I'm there for the action, not some stupid sexual scenes!]
- Spaceballs [I don't even want to say anything . . .]
- The Mummy [I just don't like it.]
- The Descent [I saw the creatures running around my room for weeks! I was completely terrified! I will never ever watch a horror movie again!]

dc_united
August 31st, 2009, 12:43 PM
Napoleon Dynamite, American History X, and Saw II-Whatever number they're flogging that dead franchise on now. I remember seeing the first Saw and thinking it was alright. The second made me wonder why the hell I'm wasting my money to see a bunch of people mutilate themselves for the millionth time, and then that horror was dead. I have yet to enter another horror movie until something rebuilds the genre.

Napoleon Dynamite... that just sucked. Everyone at school went to see it and thought it was great. SO I went a couple days later with some of them and I thought it SUCKED. I can't believe I had to pay to see some tool (actually, he wasn't even a tool. Napoleon was the whole hardware store) talk in a friggin monotone and draw crappy artwork. Total waste of film. And then the rest of my family discovered it and loved it.

And then American History X. I'm at least happy I didn't spend money on this one. I saw it on FX, and was immediately glad. There are skinhead movies (This is England), stereotyped skinhead movies that are still good (Romper Stomper) and then skinhead movies that don't even go by the stereotype.

The kid brother talks in a monotone displaying no emotion throughout that crappy excuse for a movie, and Edward Norton is a bearded Hammerskin. W T F? No self-respecting skin has a beard. It just looks stupid, and then that fat dude had an Anti-Heros tattoo. That really rubbed me the wrong way. And they didn't even get the stereotype fashion right. No boots, no flights, no button-downs... they dress like bros, for chrissakes! How the hell did that movie make money?

Firebird306
August 31st, 2009, 08:50 PM
Twilight: I mean I've looked up a fair bit about it and it seems pretty interesting, but the movie imo wasn't as great as most people made it out to be. I mean the movie was still okay and enjoyable, but not entirely worth the hype. =/

High School Musical: Gah a lot of my friends like these movies, but personally I simply can't stand them. -.- My younger sisters watch it all the time so sadly I know most of the songs and plot off by heart. >.< My reaction to hearing it yet again is priceless. XD

KnilShadowLink
September 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM

EDIT:

I honestly couldn't agree more with Transformers 2. Oh and nice counter-examples xD

Oh and I really didn't like the Dark Knight (However Ledger was amazing)

Shem
September 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Pineapple Express, BLEH, It wasn't all that funny and was way overrated.

MUSION
September 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Saw, all of 'em (except 4, I haven't seen that), especially the first. Given my 'pro-vigilante justice' attitude I expected to like them... how wrong I was.

PsychoJigglypuff
September 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Twilight. When I saw it, I was hyper, and there were hundreds of people there too. Actually they weren't really people. They were just hollow shells of their former selves, before they sold their souls to the devil Stephenie Meyer. Because of all the energy I managed to accumulate, I thought it was good. About a week later, after all of it wore off, I realized that it was absolutely horrible, and I actually paid money to see that pathetic piece of fanservice people call a movie. D:

Also, I'm not all that fond of Napoleon Dynamite. It was so stupid, and I didn't find it funny at all. After watching it, I felt like I had just wasted a good portion of my life, that could have been spent on something slightly more productive. Playing video games, that is. >.>

chevelleROCKER
September 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
The stupid Twilight thing and Harry Potter. Just 2 horrible series that I've never gotten into at all. I was kinda surprised when I heard they had 5 more Harry Potters planned. I never thought they could keep this pointless series going for such a long time. But these are just my opinions, so no hard feelings to anyone who can stand to watch these =P

iwuzhere9
September 3rd, 2009, 03:44 AM
Twilight. It was barely bearable, and then Edward started shimmering. I was done then.

Zech
September 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Shrek and Mamma mia.. my big sister likes Shrek and my mom and others Mamma mia.. I just cant stand them.. Dont know why.. nothing cool happened on mamma mia, that's really boring movie..

btw, really weird that no one has yet mentioned Titanic, in my opinion its a good movie but its a movie that many people HATE and many people like

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I can't stand Twilight I've always hated the book and the movie, they have the wrong concept for Vampires

:t354:TG

dannichols
September 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
For in case: I say the ugliest movie I know about is How To Eat Fried Worms. Ew.

Kishijoten
September 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="1"]One movie i hated but, i watched with my friends was Twilight. They loved twilight and were basically obessed with the movie. I may have liked it a bit in the beginning but,now I don't think its THAT cool.

Cherry.
September 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM
High School Musical >.<.

I'm sick of it. XD;;. It's getting on my nerves. >.>

Mukkamoto
September 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Let me try to list the ones i think i hate:

Twilight
Transformers 2
High School Musical

Thats all i can remember seeing recently >_< but yeah i hate Twilight, however i liked the new harry potter apart from the ending of course.

poopnoodle
September 15th, 2009, 04:28 AM
i liked the new harry potter apart from the ending of course.I'm a devout HP fan, and was really disappointed with the latest movie. It was pretty much a giant cliffhanger with a bunch of awkward romances between awkward teenagers, and Draco being ~emo~. Hopefully the last film (which will apparently be a twelve hour tl;dr split) will be decent.

sidenote: twelve hour = scarcasm