PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Pessimist, Realist or an Optimist?

Abnegation
August 30th, 2009, 6:58 AM
Pessimist - Someone who looks at the glass as half empty and looks at the down side of things more often.

Realist - Someone who generally looks at things as they are and has a neutral opinion on things without being pessimistic nor optimistic.

Optimistic - Someone who looks at the glass as half full and looks at the brighter side of things more often.

Which do you feel you most vere twoards?

manipulation
August 30th, 2009, 6:59 AM
I am so pessimistic and I'm sure a lot of people know this.

Pokes Jake and our convo
Pokes Went for stalking that convo

Sublime
August 30th, 2009, 7:16 AM
I'm one of the most optimistic people you will ever meet. Skype calls have proven that. We'd be talking about a subject that got everybody down in the dumps, and I'd find the silver lining that kept my mood up. I'm always looking to the brighter side of things. Sure, bad things are going to happen; but you have to take the good with the bad. So you know you always have something good to look forward to in the future.

.. Well, there is one subject I'm rather pessimistic about, but we won't delve into that here ^^;

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
August 30th, 2009, 7:26 AM
I'm a realist. I like to crush optimists view and raise pessimists spirits. XD

Owl
August 30th, 2009, 7:26 AM
Pessimist Totally.

I really look at the bad side of everything.

Jolene
August 30th, 2009, 8:10 AM
I'm almost always optimistic. I look for the good side of things even if its less obvious than the bad stuff. Because that makes me feel happy.

Camisado
August 30th, 2009, 8:12 AM
I used to be an optimist, but now I think I'm mostly a realist.

Work seems to have done that to me.

twocows
August 30th, 2009, 8:14 AM
My position is similar to optimism, but lacking the short-sightedness. Things can usually work if we make them work.

Blind optimism or pessimism annoys me. If you're blindly optimistic, you're a fool. Things aren't always wonderful. Bad stuff happens. There are murders, rapes, assaults, robberies. There are bad people in the world, and they need to be stopped. The only way that we can stop bad things from happening is by taking action.

The position you described second (which is not realism) is something that should be blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain. Things are never wholly wrong or wholly right.

If you're blindly pessimistic, my assumption is that you're apathetic. If you think everything's going to be wrong, you're not working to fix that, so of course it will. The only way mankind can save itself is by working together (I think that's a quote, but I don't remember who said it).

Edit: The terms realism and idealism have so many differing ideas associated with them that it's probably better not to use either. Let's go with that.

TwilightBlade
August 30th, 2009, 8:17 AM
Pessimist. Everything is going to go wrong, everyone hates me, everywhere is dangerous. My happy go lucky attitude is all an act. ^_^

Signomi
August 30th, 2009, 8:19 AM
I love being an optimist, you have a life ahead of you and so many prospects that will work in your favour, and I know for me I have a lot going that makes me feel so happy and always anticipating what the future will bring. Even in some sort of troublesome situation, I always stay hopeful.

ShinjisLover
August 30th, 2009, 8:21 AM
It really depends on the situation in my case. If something seems even the slightest bit hopeless, I'm usually pessimistic about it. =/ However, sometimes I can optimistic. I know that soon my anxiety will be over, but I also think that I'll never make it into college, and I know my grades aren't the best, so I probably won't pass 12th grade this year.

And that is how I incorporate all three into my life. . Just as an example. ^^

Mitchman
August 30th, 2009, 8:21 AM
I am none of the 3. For I am Optimist Prime.
Okay really now I am an Realist. I look at things bad I look at things good but I am always in the middle. Of course until a choice is made or such.

Graceful
August 30th, 2009, 8:24 AM
I'm more of an Optimistic person. I look on the bright side of things that go wrong.....

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
August 30th, 2009, 8:47 AM
I'm a pessimist. The thing is, if you expect the best, you can be disappointed. But if you expect the worst, you can only either get what you expected or have a pleasant surprise.

Giraffles <3
August 30th, 2009, 9:36 AM
Optimist, I always look on the bright side. I believe time spent worrying about all that can go wrong is time wasted :3.

Lady Gaga
August 30th, 2009, 9:39 AM
Truthfully, I am a realist, but every day I am trying my best to be optimistic about things

Azonic
August 30th, 2009, 9:42 AM
I've always thought of myself as a pessimist, but I realized it all depends on the situation I'm in. I do look on the bright side a lot. <3

The Apprentice™
August 30th, 2009, 9:52 AM
I think I'm more of a Realist then any of the other two. I have neutral perspective about most things.

SonicThrust
August 30th, 2009, 9:59 AM
I'm a pessimist because I always mess up when I try to look on the bright side.

Gewitterdrache27
August 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM
If being pessimistic is a good deed, I'm more than a saint.

Jordan
August 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Former realist leaning pessimist, now a passionate optimist. Within every failure lies a new opportunity, evident or not. That said, if I actually fail something like say a test, then I'd freak out and go wangster 8D

TP-BigWill
August 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Am I passivly aggressive or Aggressivly passive? Oh wait, thats not the question.

Im a realist with a bit of a pessimistic side. Anything that is really important, I tend to think that it'll be negative. That way if I do accomplish it, I feel great, and if I dont, I dont feel like a turd sandwich on the side of a road.

Ivysaur
August 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Optimistic. My life has gone pretty well, I have got pretty much all what I wanted, so I have no reason to think tomorrow will be any worse than today.

Roy-Kun
August 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I used to be a pessimist.

Now i'm between the mix of realistic and optimistic... but i'd rather say i'm more realistic than optimistic.

Mr.Kirby
August 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I'm more of a realist when I look at a situation, but I'll sway to each side of thing depending on what side the person I'm talking to seems to be on. Talking to an pessimist, I'll try to be more optimistic. Optimist? Vice versa. What can I say? I like giving people a hard time.

vanna.
August 30th, 2009, 1:00 PM
I have a tendancy to be very pessimistic in some situations.
But then other times I'm realistically optimistic (not overly optimistic, optimistic within reason, if you will). XD
It really depends on the situation/topic for me.

s0nido
August 30th, 2009, 1:52 PM
I'm more of a realist, but I think that's just another word for being a pessimist. xD
When things look bad, I just say what I expect to happen. When things look good, I say what I expect to happen. I try to look at the worst-case scenario, because I don't like raising my hopes up and have them crash down again when the good turns bad.

Synaesthesia
August 30th, 2009, 2:36 PM
I try to be an optomist, and I usually am for when it comes to things I really want (which either makes me really happy or really sad in the end), but most of the time I am realistic with things. It's probably the best way to look at things because then you're not getting your hopes up and you're not depressing yourself about something.

TRIFORCE89
August 30th, 2009, 2:47 PM
How about a pessimistic realist?

Citrinin
August 30th, 2009, 3:40 PM
I used to be more of a pessimist, but I've since become a realist.

Rokusasu
August 30th, 2009, 3:45 PM
Definitely an optimist. :P

Guillermo
August 30th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I vary from all three. I'm all three.

Haza
August 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Im often pessimistic and I love it. If u dont, I dont care.

morrison
August 31st, 2009, 12:45 AM
I 'd say it depends on the situation whether I am either Optimistic or Realistic.

.little monster
August 31st, 2009, 2:39 AM
I am a realist. I lean towards pessimist or optimistic at times though.

♣Gawain♣
August 31st, 2009, 3:20 AM
Both realist and optimist. I always stick to the real facts and their good things.

Anxiety.
August 31st, 2009, 4:16 AM
I'm kinda a Pessimist, and kinda a Realist.
I look at the negative things in people, but I look at my surroundings and the world I live in as it is.

Lynnx
August 31st, 2009, 5:45 AM
Mostly realist, with a bit of pessimist mixed in for good measure.

Melody
August 31st, 2009, 6:54 AM
I'm usually an optimist. Having hope helps you to see that not all is bad, so I'm usually pretty optimistic about things.

When I'm depressed I slip into realist mode...hard to avoid, but at least I'm not pessimistic. x3

EmeraldSky
August 31st, 2009, 8:28 AM
Realistic optimist--I don't make something worse than it is, but I try to put it in the best light possible

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 29th, 2009, 2:14 PM
Since I'm a negative thinker people consider me as a "pessimist"

:t354:TG

Harmonie
September 29th, 2009, 2:28 PM
I'm a realist that looks at things more pessimistic sometimes. But that's only because it's more realistic to look at things in a more pessimistic way.

I have my optimistic moments, but I find that everytime I do it doesn't turn out good... And that's why pessimism is much more realistic than optimism.

Eliminator Jr.
September 29th, 2009, 2:38 PM
I would say that I'm a realist first, but then an optimist. I try to look on the bright side of things, but I'm not going to let people take advantage of me because of it.

poopnoodle
September 29th, 2009, 3:22 PM
I'm not necessarily in agreement with your definition of a "realist," but the actual definition is how I would describe myself.

Luck
September 29th, 2009, 3:28 PM
I'm pessimistic, with a small hint of realist in me. I don't think the worst case scenario out in my head, but I do become aware of many bad scenarios that might happen if I do a certain situation.

I should really stop being pessimistic; it causes me too much stress, which affects my health. >.<

And just to answer this age old question; it is half empty when the contents of the cup are being extracted from the cup. It is half full when the contents are being poured into the cup.

the bitter end.
September 29th, 2009, 5:06 PM
Pessimist. =/

I'm just a depressing person.

Code
September 29th, 2009, 5:09 PM
Optimist! nothin better!
XD
You won't see me with a sad face! XD

Star★Seeker
September 29th, 2009, 5:22 PM
I really don't know what I am. It really depends on the situation.

Halcyon
September 30th, 2009, 3:39 AM
Depends on the flow~

But because of PC and other stuffs, I am usually optimistic.

Alexithymia~
September 30th, 2009, 8:36 AM
I lean more on the side of realist/pessimist.
I look on the bad side of things a lot. But not always, sometimes I'm .. indifferent.

Devil's Guitarist
September 30th, 2009, 8:42 AM
well most of the time I'm indifferent, but I'm very optimistic too! I mean, I think that everyone can do anything if they really want and yes, maybe there isn't any real thing, but who knows?

Tater Tot
September 30th, 2009, 8:53 AM
Both a pessimist and a realist. I look at things logically, and they usually turn out to seem pessimistic. XD;

Emily.
September 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Well, honestly? I'm not sure what I am...most likely something in between a realist, and a pessimist. Most people don't know themselves what they really are, in my opinion. It's better to ask those who are closer to the person in question. So, that's just a rough guess for me.

Serene Grace
September 30th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm a realist, to be honest. My personality has changed from being a persimist to a realist throughout my teen years.

Caelus
September 30th, 2009, 6:04 PM
Really depends on the situation, but I'm generally an optimist.

Now though I'm leaning more towards being a realist, but with a bit of optimism.

XxDawnfanxX
September 30th, 2009, 6:33 PM
It depends really, I guess you can consider me a realist or optimist. When I am down, i keep telling myself to look at the bright side and I made the change recently to always look at the positives no matter how few there are and move forward, it has gotten me through a lot of rough times.

Pokeyomom
September 30th, 2009, 6:40 PM
I'm a realist-optimist. I'll probably sound like the biggest narcissist ever, but I believe I am to intelligent to be totally optimistic;C If you seriously contemplate this life... This world, you will find alot of sadness and pain. But you can focus on the good, and keep it positive:D

But in my humble opinion excessive introspection='s a quick path to pessimism... Don't get lost in your head!

Corvus of the Black Night
September 30th, 2009, 7:13 PM
All three at the same time :D

Actually, it really depends on the situation - but for the majority of the time, I look at the glass as half empty (and I've had fights with people about this, nonetheless)

Nudge
September 30th, 2009, 7:25 PM
I'm mostly a realist but occasionally I sway towards the depths of pessimism and other times sway towards optimism.
But yeah mostly a realist

Rehab Doll
September 30th, 2009, 7:31 PM
I'm a realist, I'm optimistic every now and then (Especially if something really good happens) and I can't remember the last time I was genuinely pessimistic. I usually like to stay neutral about things.

Lana.
October 2nd, 2009, 6:11 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle, I think. I'm certainly not an idealist, but I'm not really an optimist. I can be pessimistic, but not 24/7. Every day is a new day, but in the here and now I tend to be very... I dunno. I guess it all depends on how my day is going - if I'm having a great day, I can look at anything and see the good in it. And vice-versa, of course. It all just depends on the circumstances.

Hamako-chan
October 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
I always look at an ice tea empty as.
"Oh my god, only got half left!"
So.. yea I'm a Pessimist.

Idiot!
October 3rd, 2009, 1:13 AM
I don't trust my luck, as it has failed me far too often, so I am a pessimist that prepares for the worst.

Satoshi Ookami
October 3rd, 2009, 1:28 AM
I'm huge pessimist... but sometimes also realist...
But NOT optimist that's for sure

Sammi
October 3rd, 2009, 1:28 PM
I wish I could say I was a realist, but I'm pretty sure I'm more pessimistic than realistic. I like to think that preparing for letdown is the best thing to do, so that you're not completely disappointed when things don't go your way. Sad way of thinking, I know. ._.

HallwayKid
October 3rd, 2009, 2:05 PM
When I look at that glass I think, "That glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Not sure what that makes me though.

Eucliffe
October 3rd, 2009, 2:26 PM
I've always called myself a pessimistic optimist, but in this case I'm probably a realist.

I neither see the glass half full or half empty, I just see that someone took a sip of mah drink D=<

NarutoActor
October 3rd, 2009, 2:53 PM
realtist and optimtic I always look at the world with a smile on my face but I also dont look a black eye on cruption,greed,evil ect

Popwar Bunny
October 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm a realist. Not gunna be optimistic about everything when everything in life isn't perfect.

ÇyänïdëÉX
October 4th, 2009, 5:04 AM
I am a realists. Though some times i am the pessimists because some situations call for it. Most of the time i just belt out the plain simple facts. Ive been through a lot of stuff to know better.

Alakazam17
October 4th, 2009, 5:22 AM
I'm definitely a realist. No matter what I'm facing, I'm simultaneously hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. XD

Jazmine Marie
October 4th, 2009, 9:32 AM
I am definitely a pessimist, and I have been for a long time. I always think the worst is going to happen, and I always find something negative in anything that happens to me, even compliments.

Thanks a lot depression!!

Bay Alexison
October 4th, 2009, 9:42 AM
I'm mostly a realist. I used to be very pessimistic, but I'm getting better at looking things at the bright side. There are times I would get down if I didn't get what I want, but I try to move forward and look for other opportunities out there.

Trap-Eds
October 4th, 2009, 1:04 PM
I find myself to be a realistic optimist. I always look at the bright side, but I still always look at both sides. So I'd see the glass as half-full and half-empty.

Aether
October 4th, 2009, 7:03 PM
I'm very optimistic.

I don't really get the cup of water half full half empty thing though.