PDA

View Full Version : Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal

Netto Azure
August 31st, 2009, 11:07 AM
Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8230504.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46296000/jpg/_46296414_spidermanindex226_pa.jpg
Disney is acquiring a batch of new characters

Entertainment giant Walt Disney is to buy Marvel Entertainment in a shares and cash deal valued at $4bn (£2.5bn). The deal means Disney will take over ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters, such as Spider-Man and the X-Men.
Marvel shareholders will get $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share owned.
The boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the deal, which now needs the backing of Marvel shareholders and competition authorities.
Marvel shares were ahead $9.76, or 25%, to $48.41 in midday trading while Disney shares fell 94 cents, or 3.5%, to $25.90.
'Great assets'
"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Disney president and chief executive Robert Iger said.
"We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."
Other Marvel's characters include Captain America, the Fantastic Four and Thor.
"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Marvel chief executive Ike Perlmutter.
"This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world," he added.
'Good deal'
Arvind Bhatia, an analyst at Sterne, Agee and Leach, said that the deal appeared to be a "win-win situation for both companies".
"They [Marvel shareholders] are getting a good deal in my opinion. The CEO of the company, Isaac Perlmutter, is also the largest shareholder of the company.
"From that standpoint, we think the chances of this deal going through are pretty high."
Last month, Walt Disney reported a fall in profits of more than a quarter as the downturn hit revenue at its film and theme park divisions.
Net profit between April and June came in at $954m (£579m), down 26% on the $1.28bn the entertainment giant made in the same period last year.
Revenues of $8.6bn were down 7% from the $9.2bn recorded a year before.

LOL. I keep on hearing about the possibility of a Kingdom Hearts with Marvel Comics characters. XDDD
It's still fun to watch the fandom's reaction to this tho~
@3@

A summary of today's conference call announcing and discussing the deal from Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22747)
Some key nuggets: (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22747)

Quote:
Disney executives went to great lengths during the call to make the point that they don’t pretend to be more expert than Marvel is in handling their characters, citing the hands-off relationship Disney has had with Pixar since the acquisition of that studio. Disney said Marvel manages the properties from a business perspective very intelligently and trusts them to make the right decisions for these products for a long time to come.
Quote:
Disney said the deal was attractive not just because they’re buying great characters, stories and brand, but about working with people who know these characters best and how best to work with them in other media.
Quote:
With respect to Paramount’s distribution deal with Marvel and the Iron Man franchise, Disney has every intention to respect the deal that’s in place, but noted that it’s in their best interest, overtime, to become the sole distributor of Marvel films.
Quote:
When asked if there was potential for cross-polination between Marvel and Pixar, Disney said that Pixar’s John Lasseter has met with key Marvel creative executives recently and the group got “pretty excited, very fast.” Disney will look at all opportunities and thinks there are some exciting product that could come from this sort of partnership.
Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada had this to say on Twitter this morning:

Quote:
“G' morning, Marvel U! Welcome to this moment in history. Everyone relax, this is incredible news and all is well in the Marvel U.”
“Everybody take a deep breath, all your favorite comics remain unchanged and Tom Brevoort remains grouchy.”
“If you're familiar with the Disney/Pixar relationship, then you'll understand why this is a new dawn for Marvel and the comics industry."
Alright, kids? Nothing to be worried about. Sky ain't falling yet. Deep breaths. .

Twisted Cuteness
August 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM
So Stan Lee is really letting this happen?

xxChazxx
August 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM
wtf is the world coming to!?

Why would this happen. Surely many people will be pissed. What would Disney need with Marvel characters anyway?

Esper
August 31st, 2009, 11:34 AM
They [Marvel shareholders] are getting a good deal in my opinion. The CEO of the company, Isaac Perlmutter, is also the largest shareholder of the company.In my experience things that are good for shareholders are usually bad for everyone else.

I like the idea of some Marvel/Pixar mixing, though. That could churn up something nifty.

Timbjerr
August 31st, 2009, 11:47 AM
I came in expecting this to be a joke...but alas, the gods of entertainment have played a cruel prank on all of us. >_>

Jazmine Marie
August 31st, 2009, 12:02 PM
Wow, this really made me pissed. :pink_pissed:

I loathe Disney, so having them buy Marvel just really makes me mad. I know a lot of die hard comic fans that are going to be extraordinarily angry . . .

poopnoodle
August 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM
That's...a little iffy. I don't want to be quick to judge, but since 2004 my favorite entertainment production companies have been failing me. If this happened, say, ten years ago when entertainment was decent, I might not be so scared for this new development. We'll see.

Captain Fabio
August 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
FFS.

Why?
It will just ruin everything.
Bloody brilliant.

Azonic
August 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Oh god...

I can already see their new comic idea:
Miley Cyrus; ordinary teenager by day, crime-fighting superhero by night.

Lash
August 31st, 2009, 03:39 PM
If concepts from Disney are brought into the cool superhero world of Marvel, then... I just have no comment, it would be totally phail. Even cameo appearances of anyone from that three brother band would totally kill the coolness.

Åzurε
August 31st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Oshi-

My father will not be happy about this...
I did mention he's an avid firearms collector, right? XP

But you know, smacking a Hannah Montana punchbag on Marvel vs. DC wouldn't be so bad. It's just everything else that's the problem.

I am amazed, however, that Stan would let this happen. He better have negotiated the hell out of the big Diz.

Vernikova
August 31st, 2009, 03:47 PM
People here are over-reacting just like on Serebii and some on Toon Zone. In reality, this a pretty damn good thing for Marvel. Most of Marvel's executives, publishing and editorial, are still going to be there.

Yuoaman
August 31st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Err... You people do realize that Marvel is still going to be Marvel, right? They are just going to have the financial backing and advertising of Disney...

TRIFORCE89
August 31st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Err... You people do realize that Marvel is still going to be Marvel, right? They are just going to have the financial backing and advertising of Disney...
Just quoting you so that more people see your post XD

This is exactly it.

I expect Disney's interests are little more than merchandizing and some park tie-ins.

Disney owns a lot more than most people know. But they don't have the "Disney" name on it. This is just another one added to the list. Nothing more than financial stuff. The content of the comics probably won't be touched by Disney. You won't see Mickey swinging around with Spider-Man. lol

Harley Quinn
August 31st, 2009, 11:26 PM
Captain America now has overgrown ears and speaks with a high-pitched voice, saving the world with morals and sweet words.

Though seriously;
This. It's just a little trophy to add to their hundreds.

Zet
September 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM
I can see a new great video game line..... "Disney vs Capcom"

Can't wait to play as Mickey and use his awesome shoes to do some massive damage or punch the hell out of him with Megaman

_Dean_
September 1st, 2009, 12:22 AM
This is definitely bad. I thought that my cars alternator going out was a real FML moment, but seriously. T__T

RAWR ^_^
September 1st, 2009, 12:55 AM
>_>

Why are people getting so worked up. Basically, Disney will now be able to create Marvel World in Disney Land, make Marvel Merchandise and add Marvel characters to their Video Games (IE Kingdom Hearts). Marvel will now have even more financial backing to create better movies etc, and will have Entertainment giant Disney to help with advertising and selling points.

txteclipse
September 1st, 2009, 01:53 AM
Marvel and Pixar. Marvel and Pixar. MaRvEl AnD pIxAr.

I mean, holy crap. Just sit down and think about this for a second, guys. Superhero movies with special effects created by quite possibly the best and most innovative cg artists in the industry.

Nuke
September 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM
Great, now all the heroes will be played by 16 year olds who've just came out of working from Burger King and half the way through the movie everyone will start singing badly for no reason.

I preferred DC anyway but I still liked Marvel so this a dissapointment.

Spinor
September 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
This sounds just as worse as Nintendo+Pixar

Oh well. Anyone up for a Bug's Life Sequel with Spider-man killing all those little bastards?

Barney.
September 1st, 2009, 04:44 AM
As long as this doesn't interfere with the actual comics, I don't mind this at all.

Eternal Nightmare
September 1st, 2009, 05:12 AM
Somebody in my class was talking about this topic this morning and my reaction was WTF Are you serious? Now reading this it is true...im not a big marvel fan nor a disney fan but how could this happen. I didnt know disney made that much money to buy out someone. Next thing you know Spiderman will be in musicals -shivers- x_x

Rich Boy Rob
September 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
As long as I don't see Iron Man in Kingdom Hearts or Mickey Mouse in Spider Man I'm happy.

But seriously this bound to be the outcome of this deal, I'm pretty sure Disney has a kingdom of companies under it's belt anyway, they're just adding one more.

White Glint
September 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM
So.......Marvel comics are gonna go from blood and awesomeness to
Winnie The Pooh characters and Villians for educational vids?

"Hey! Let's have Spider-man use his remotely strong webs to swing the cat to safety! Then have Mysterio help with this math problem by solving his riddles!"

Dude, I assume that Disney is doing this to get the cash marvel is gonna get from Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. Disney isn't as nice as you thought, huh?

Well, Stan Lee, better pack up and head to DC comics....

Lucy Lu
September 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I agree with Triforce89 and Yuoaman.

I don't think this is a big deal. Everyone is over-reacting over nothing. Disney owns a lot and they thought buying out Marvel will be a good thing. And I bet Marvel needed this too since maybe they haven't had too much money coming in this year. Well maybe some from the movies. If anything I think it make way for more rides for their theme parks, and more merchandising. Marvel and Disney will make a lot of money in the long run. It is a business. Got to do where the money is.

Don't worry, Disney won't touch any of the Marvel characters. They will leave them the way they are. Disney own other movie companies and those companies make Rated R movies, so yeah. Nothing to worry about. ^^

White Glint
September 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
I agree with Triforce89 and Yuoaman.

I don't think this is a big deal. Everyone is over-reacting over nothing. Disney owns a lot and they thought buying out Marvel will be a good thing. And I bet Marvel needed this too since maybe they haven't had too much money coming in this year. Well maybe some from the movies. If anything I think it make way for more rides for their theme parks, and more merchandising. Marvel and Disney will make a lot of money in the long run. It is a business. Got to do where the money is.

Don't worry, Disney won't touch any of the Marvel characters. They will leave them the way they are. Disney own other movie companies and those companies make Rated R movies, so yeah. Nothing to worry about. ^^

You have a point.....

Just as long as they don't try to interfere with my superheros like Spider-Man and Wolverine and my Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, then I'll stay a fan of Disney. Hey, the KH series came out great.

Åzurε
September 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
I was overreacting the first time, I was partially making fun and partially serious, but yeah. Diz won't mess with Marvel too much (IhopeIhope), for fear of losing the cash brought in by the characters. I'd like to see Deadpool before they get to far into the Disney mainstream stuff, though.

Graceful
September 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
WTF?! What's happening NOW?
disney is buying marvel characters. Has the world got topsy-turvey yet?! O.o

Corvus of the Black Night
September 2nd, 2009, 06:54 AM
SWEET JESUS NO

They'll start with the Buzz Lightyear comics. Then... THEN... THEN THE JONAS BROTHERS AND HANNAH MONTANA AND OH MY GOD NO NO NO NO NO NO

*bangs head on desk until face is torn off and eyes have successfully left their sockets*

GYAAAHAHHHUUUHUHHHH

I'm going to now return to my comic book free lifestyle. Oh joy. I don't even read Marvel comics, but let's just hope that Disney at least tries to keep the original spirit of the books, like it did with Miyazaki films. Well, considering how different Miyazaki films and Marvel comics are, this may be a difficult endeavor.

RUN

Lie Ren
September 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
SWEET JESUS NO

They'll start with the Buzz Lightyear comics. Then... THEN... THEN THE JONAS BROTHERS AND HANNAH MONTANA AND OH MY GOD NO NO NO NO NO NO

*bangs head on desk until face is torn off and eyes have successfully left their sockets*

GYAAAHAHHHUUUHUHHHH

Just because Disney owns Marvel doesn't mean they'll start mixing it with all their happy, typical Disney stuff. Disney owns a lot of other companies, and you wouldn't even know it, unless they announced it to the world. >.>

Anyhoo.. I see this as a good thing, if it was either that or 'goodbye Marvel'. I don't think much will change over this.

The Apprentice™
September 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
...........Just.....wow

-shakes my heads disapprovingly-

Chibi Robo
September 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ew, if Disney bought Marvel who knows what will happen
Mickey and Spiderman In: The quest To The Magic Forest
If I was Marvel I definatley wouldn't sell out the company but in the economic crisis.....