PDA

View Full Version : Subbed v Dubbed

geeknerdbutt
September 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM
I recently read many polls of the "never-ending-subbed-v-dubbed-battle." Now I am curious on what the Pokecommunity thinks! Personally I have mixed views of which is better since, let's be honest, there has been some great dubs. Some Anime I could only care to watch dubbed because they were so great, such as Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Gundam, etc. Also there are some Anime that I can't stand dubbed such as Naruto. Of course there are some die-hard fans that can be pulled in one way too, in which case say so and why!

Also, don't battle on this thread, I just want to know the opinions of others! :)

Mistyy
September 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM
I feel as if a lot is left out in dubs but they are still okay. Although some are pretty mediocre and cheesey, in which case I choose subbed there. But both are pretty fun to watch. Some can't stand sitting there and reading, in some cases I look at the words more than the actual anime. Sometimes the voices just fit better, or the actors on one part of the spectrum is just better. It's always just what people prefer to do, read and get the full story, or watch some great or some cheesey and terrible voice overs! I go both ways! -not immature comments of that statement! Thanks!-

Kung Fu Quagsire!
September 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Subbed. In all the animé I've seen, English voice acting only ruins 'em. ]:

Mistyy
September 1st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Subbed. In all the animé I've seen, English voice acting only ruins 'em. ]:

Pretty true for a lot of anime cases :)

Citrinin
September 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
I've recently had a look at subbed anime, and I like it far more than dubbed (as a general rule). ;D

poopnoodle
September 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
The viewer is guaranteed artistic integrity from a subbed anime more than they are from a dubbed anime. I'm not particularly picky about it, as long as the story reaches me as the creator intended.

Vyro
September 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM
as I speak japanese, I picked nothing. seriously, add a neither option.

Timbjerr
September 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
If it is available and bearable by my relatively loose standards, Dubbed. People tend to exaggerate the quality of English VA.

Synaesthesia
September 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM
It's really frustrating to have to read subtitles all the time when watching something which is my only peeve against a sub, but dubs often have crappy voices. But I'm usually able to make that sacrifice and watch a dub. In the end it doesn't change very much :\

Firebird306
September 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'd prefer to be able to sit there and casually watch an anime without it having to read the subs constantly, I'd rather just enjoy the show and hear it in a language I understand.

Though I've never watched a subbed anime (besides vids online which mates have sent) so I honestly wouldn't know for sure. :S

Mario The World Champion
September 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm mixed on subbed vs dubbed. However, I would have to go with dubbed because I'd rather watch the animation instead of trying to read the subtitles along with that.

However, there are a few exceptions that I'll go subbed, if the dubbing is HORRIBLE.

chanchimi
September 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM
I usually always prefer dubbed. I don't mind subbed, but I'd just rather watch a show in English. Especially Gundam and Digimon, I always thought the characters had great voices, even in English!

Drew
September 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM
I used to be one of those kids who were like "OMG DUBZ SUCK B CUZ THEY'RE NOT JAPANESE", but these days, it depends on the series. I'm fine with either/or, though.. it's true that some dubbing companies aren't as good as some others, but the bigger ones like Viz, FUNi, ADV, etc normally do pretty good jobs now days. Sooo, yeah.. hurray for current day dubs being mostly decent.

Esper
September 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Why would I want to hear the work of some subcontractors when the creators already provided me with a dialogue track? I wouldn't listen to a live action movie or show that was dubbed because dubs are usually wholly separate from the creative process and the sounds don't fit the image. I don't see why animation should be any different.

Bianca Paragon
September 1st, 2009, 10:30 PM
What most people don't realize when they whine about bad English VA's...is that just because the original VA is JP, it doesn't mean they're a good voice actor. There are talentless hacks in both cultures of voice acting - so vehemently refusing to watch anything but subtitled because HOMG JAPENSE AM SUPERIOR is just silly.

Examples of great English dubs include Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop and, yes, even Lucky Star had a really good English VA cast for the most part. Likewise, series like Naruto and One Piece just had terrible voice acting regardless of the language you watched it in.

Bay Alexison
September 1st, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty mixed in the dub and subbed debate thing. The dubs can ruin an anime show sometimes if the voices aren't the best in the world, but I can tolerate it with that better than some people I know. As for subs, I don't like how I have to read the subtitles, although I don't miss what's going on that much. Then again, most of the anime I watch are action and adventure, so yeah. XD

Personally though, I would prefer subs as sometimes dubs do edit out a lot of stuff, which can make an episode feel like it's missing a few things. Also, although I can tolerate with the dub voices, I usually prefer the voices from the original cast.

icomeanon6
September 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM
Why would I want to hear the work of some subcontractors when the creators already provided me with a dialogue track? I wouldn't listen to a live action movie or show that was dubbed because dubs are usually wholly separate from the creative process and the sounds don't fit the image. I don't see why animation should be any different.
Watching live action with a dub track is jarring because people have their own voices. Animation is different because cartoons don't have their own voices. Besides, in Japanese animation the animating is almost always done before the voices are recorded--unlike in Western animation and Akira (the one big exception to this rule). That's why they have mouth flaps, it's because it's cheaper to animate the character without any language or voice in mind. This means that anime is actually ideal for foreign dubbing because of the production process. Most people only think that Japanese voices sound more natural in an anime because they know it's from Japan. Once you ignore this fact, it becomes easier to warm up to English voices.

Also, the original creators generally want their works to be dubbed in other languages because subtitles obscure the artwork. In every anime I've seen subbed, there's always at least one case where a subtle facial expression at the bottom of the screen is covered by a subtitle for all but a moment. That just annoys the hell out of me. The idea behind a localization is to provide the best equivalent to the experience the native audience had. The Japanese watch their anime dubbed in their own language without subtitles, and I prefer the same.

So yeah, I voted for dubs. The only dubs I won't watch are the ones that are edited beyond reasonable levels, and I tolerate plenty of editing for kid's shows like Dragon Ball and Digimon. The only editing job that made me truly angry was Digimon: The Movie, which was eviscerated almost beyond recognition. Hosoda's poetic storytelling was completely ruined by the way they changed the pacing and continuity. I don't even mind the dub for the TV series because of nostalgia, but that "movie" was simply inexcusable.

Azumi
September 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
There are some dubs that are good, like FMA. There are jokes that only exist in that dub, and it works really well...

But I pretty much prefer subs to dubs.

Hamako-chan
September 2nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
I prefer Subbed anime rather then Dubbed.
The english voices ruins it because it doesn't sound like it belongs there.
Also, I'm used to watdhing Subbed more.

xXI JOE IXx
September 2nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Subbed, when I watch Jananese Pokemon. It's not as cheesy, there has been swearing ^_^, that scene with guns and the storyline is right. 4Kids and PUSA always add there own strange dialouge thats cheesy and annoying, but thats just my opinion I guess.

Mew Ichigo
September 2nd, 2009, 02:36 AM
It depends.

I prefer subbed for one dubbed by 4Kids (they make new title music, new names, voicing is crap.) -> having said that, their series 1-8 of Pkmn was good.

Lucky Star was dubbed well. So was Naruto.

Graceful
September 2nd, 2009, 02:42 AM
I'd have to say dubbed. subbed gets annoying when the subtitles come up. but it can be good like when I watched PGSM.

Satoshi Ookami
September 2nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
I'm watching anime in both forms...
But I like subbed ones more 'cause thanks to that I can learn Japanese xD

Esper
September 2nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Besides, in Japanese animation the animating is almost always done before the voices are recorded--unlike in Western animation and Akira (the one big exception to this rule). That's why they have mouth flaps, it's because it's cheaper to animate the character without any language or voice in mind. This means that anime is actually ideal for foreign dubbing because of the production process.
But the director and other creative people are still actively involved in the original dubbing. With rare exceptons they aren't involved when it gets dubbed in other languages. I think of it like the soundtrack to a movie. It's made when the filming is mostly or completely finished, but it's still an integral part of the movie and the director engages with the composer directly to make it fit. Dubbing doesn't do that so it has to take liberties. I don't like that, even if it's really minor things.

Serene Grace
September 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
I prefer subtitled anime because it seems right to me. It was the original voice, actors and movements. I feel that the dubbed versions never get the voices right. Maybe one character might sound right, but the rest sound completley off key to what the original Japanese actors sounded like. Also, I hate that the dubbed voices and mouth movements never match. You can really notice it in some anime which make you think "fake".

JP
September 2nd, 2009, 06:52 AM
Dubbed for me. If I can't understand the language, I really have little to no interest in watching it. Plus it gets annoying, if you ask me, when you need to read the dialogue rather than just hearing it and comprehending it. If I could understand Japanese though, it'd probably be a different story.

Eternal Nightmare
September 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
I will say subbed. Most dubbed anime have terrible voices that dont really fit the characters, in my opinion. I have rather trained my eye to read subbed aniome as well. But then again some dubbed anime sounds better than their japanese counterparts -points to Inuyasha and Goku-.

Ryoutarou
September 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Also, I hate that the dubbed voices and mouth movements never match. You can really notice it in some anime which make you think "fake"....and this is different from Japanese language anime? O_o There are tons of anime out there where the voices don't match, it's pretty common because, as someone already said, animation is generally done before the voice work is recorded.

I really have no preference on the issue, I'll enjoy both sides because there are tons of horrible Japanese versions, just as there are a lot of bad English dubs. The English crews put just as much care and thought into the works as the Japanese crews, voice actors and voice directors are some of the biggest fans of these shows. For example, Vic Mignogna is in love with Edward from FMA, he did a lot of studying on the character to get his voice just right and I personally think his version is a lot better than Romi Park's.

Though, as an odd little habit of mine, any show that's rich in Japanese culture is one that I tend to enjoy a lot more when it's the Japanese version, unless it has a horrible cast.

twocows
September 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I prefer Japanese voice tracks. Anime wasn't designed around the English language, and a good dub will, at best, approximate the feel of the original.

Owl
September 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Dubbed for me XD Its easier and I like it better lol.

Brushfire
September 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
I had a huge essay and a list here that I was going to post, but I accidently hit back and I lost it. /pissed off

So, I'll summarize: I'll watch the Dub if it's as good as the Sub, otherwise Subs are better.

s0nido
September 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Subbed Anime is fun, since dubbed anime just ruins the atmosphere, since the animations of the Anime were designed to go hand in hand with the Japanese voice-overs, and not the English ones.

Mukkamoto
September 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
I've stopped watching but subbed is better than dubbed.
such annoying voices in the dubbed version :/

Aether
September 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Mostly subbed over dubbed. I make a few exceptions for anime like Cromartie High School, Ghost in the Shell, DBZ, etc.

heLLkitsune
September 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
if you like the show you are watching then you don't mind if it is subbed or dubbed.
i watched naruto only dubbed, then i began to watch it subbed (because there where more episodes) and got addicted to subbed.

Lucy Lu
September 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM
It depends. I watch dubbed and subbed. Sometimes I will watch only subbed if the voice acting in the dub isn't so good. And sometimes I will watch only dubbed if the sub isn't good. It is 50/50 for me. For the most part I will watch it subbed first then I will watch it again dubbed.

twocows
September 4th, 2009, 03:34 AM
if you like the show you are watching then you don't mind if it is subbed or dubbed.
Incorrect. The English adaptation of my favorite anime, Cardcaptor Sakura (dub was called Cardcaptors), butchered the series. And I mean that literally. They cut away the good parts and tried to rearrange the rest so you couldn't notice, though it was obvious something was missing. Not to mention it sounded like the mostly pre-teen cast was voiced by college graduates.

⋚Raika⋚
September 4th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Subbed. Sometimes I don't understand what the characters are saying if they speak too fast, and if the dub is bad it just makes things worse.

Toshiro.
September 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Depends. Sometimes some series have awful Dub voices, while others have pretty good dub voices. Fullmetal Alchemist was great Dubbed.
My vote goes to Dubbed.

Soul Eater
September 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I prefer dub anime because I can process it better when hearing it. I have problems with reading comprehension so that affects me when having to read subtitles. That and I'm also used to watching the dub versions. I don't care if its subbed or not because to me... anime is anime no matter how you look at it.

I have watched anime in sub version but it takes a while for me to really understand the plot, alot more than it takes for me to understand it if I watched it dubbed. I can pretty much just listen without even watching an anime if its dub. Since it's much easier to process that way.

However, it does depend on the anime. I've seen Bleach both subbed and dubbed... incompleted yes, but I still prefer the dub. I know animes like Cardcaptors did suck in dub form. But I loved the movies because they were great. I still stick to the manga of Cardcaptors, being it my first manga.

Idiot!
September 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hey, what about the raws? It's my first choice.

charizard_maa
September 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I prefer watching things dub. Less work for me. No need to add in my skills in reading.

The thing about the whole 'dub vs sub' thing is just opinion. Well most of it. If people like the dub VA and they see it in the show then they will love that show no matter what. Take ONe Piece for example. Nobody liked the 4Kids version because it was made by 4Kids but people went crazy (or thought it was more then decent) when Funi got the rights and started to dub it. I personality loved the 4Kids version and had no problem with their dubbing. I found it enjoyable and funny to watch. I also love the Funi version too and love it. This was way before I learned about how there could be bad dubs. I have seen bad dubs but I learn to love most of them and I like watch subs. THey go hand in hand.

apple.SHAMPOO has a very good point. Just as there is bad English VAs, there are also bad Japanese VAs. The only thing is that we don't know that they are bad because we just hear the Japanese voices and not use to it like we are with English. Also most people hold Japanese voiced anime high on a table and think they can do no bad.

mondays suck
September 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
i'd go with dubbed, as subbed means i read the text and cant see what happens.
in dubbed versions i do at least understand sth, even if the voices are terrible

Kenta-kun
September 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Nowadays, dubs don't have the whole translation problem; that is, most stay as faithful as possible to the source material, which puts my only real issue with them in the quality of the voice acting. I guess that's what the whole deciding factor for me is. Cowboy Bebop and Gundam 0080, two of my favorite series, both have fantastic dubs (Bebop to the point where I actually prefer to watch it in English), but I could never watch, say, Shaman King in English because of how incredibly butchered the dub was. Then there are series that have perfectly competent dubs, but I'm just used to them in Japanese and anything else feels weird (Naruto, Bleach), and series that go the other way, like Digimon. I tried watching that in Japanese, and it just felt so wrong without all the stupid jokes and with all the characters sounding like 12-year-old girls.

Take ONe Piece for example. Nobody liked the 4Kids version because it was made by 4Kids but people went crazy (or thought it was more then decent) when Funi got the rights and started to dub it. I personality loved the 4Kids version and had no problem with their dubbing.

I think the issue that people had with the 4kids dub was less that it was made by 4kids, and more that they completely destroyed the show. Like, worse than they have ever done to anything else, to the point where it may be the worst dub-job ever done (many people consider Cardcaptors to hold that esteemed title as well). What they did to the series is too numerous to list here, but this website here (http://opguide.bravehost.com/) gives a pretty comprehensive overview. People liked the Funimation dub because it didn't completely and insultingly destroy the series.

Bianca Paragon
September 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Incorrect. The English adaptation of my favorite anime, Cardcaptor Sakura (dub was called Cardcaptors), butchered the series. And I mean that literally. They cut away the good parts and tried to rearrange the rest so you couldn't notice, though it was obvious something was missing. Not to mention it sounded like the mostly pre-teen cast was voiced by college graduates.
The reasoning for that was to diminish the importance of Sakura as the main character and to boost the comparative screen-time ratio of Li to try and misdirect the general shoujo nature of the anime. It's something we like to call the "dub-rape" and shouldn't be used as an argument against dub's in general. Besides Robotech got it far worse ~ it was originally three UNRELATED anime and they got dub-raped together.

Still; sometimes the errors of their ways are seen; Teknoman for example was originally dub-raped for the US market; and canceled halfway through. A second dub was made with far more faithfulness to the original; even going so far as to include the axed crucifixion scene and to show nudity during Shara's transformation.

diamondpearl876
September 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I prefer both.

I prefer dubbed because I don't like to read subtitles and then have to ignore everything else just to do so.

I do, however, prefer subbed as well because dubbed is usually butchered and is deprived of a lot of significant and awesome scenes. :x