PDA

View Full Version : Dont go at red light, dont stop at the green light

Eternal Nightmare
September 3rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Ok so my older brother let me get behind the wheel to drive, for like only 5 seconds anyway. I started to fast and braked to hard and past the stop sign, thank god we were in a secluded area. I would say that was horrible but it was my first time and Im still learning :3. My question to you is: What was your first driving experience like and to those who havent yet what do you think your first driving experience will be like?

Alex_
September 3rd, 2009, 05:36 AM
You're 17 and this was your first time driving?

Anyway my first time driving was... when I was 12 or so, I didn't know how to brake.

Toshiro.
September 3rd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hmm, the first time I drove it wasn't that bad actually, I was actually surprised. Not to say I didn't make mistakes of course, had a hard time turning the wheel all the way with the hand-over-hand method. But I got the hang of it in time.

twocows
September 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
I first drove in a parking lot on a stick shift. Surprisingly, I wasn't so bad. I forgot how to use a stick shift after that, but a few years later I had to drive one and was forced to remember.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Mine wasn't too bad. I drove around in the high school/middle school complex in a 1986 Ford Taurus wagon with my dad and I don't recall anything - turning, braking - to be that difficult.

Timbjerr
September 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Other than the the fact that during my first year behind the wheel, I put approximately 73 dents and scratches on my dad's car, I was a quick learner. In fact, the last accident I was in wasn't even my fault. XD

Here's a fun fact though: I had to retake the driving test three times all because of a stop sign on the course that's impossible to see until you're about to cross the intersection. I was stupid enough for forget about it every time. XD

Nuke
September 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Mine wasn't too bad. I drove around in the high school/middle school complex in a 1986 Ford Taurus wagon with my dad and I don't recall anything - turning, braking - to be that difficult.

You didnt drive until you were 60!? D:

I'll probably crash. I cant imagine actually driving.

Rokusasu
September 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
In England, we can't get a provisional license which allows us to drive cars until we're 17 (though you can drive at any age on privately owned land or something), so my first experience driving was two years ago. :P It was my first lesson, and I drove about 10mph down a quiet road, turned a few corners and then pulled over to the kerb. XD I actually enjoyed it, but now I hate driving. ._.;

Hiidoran
September 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
My first experience behind the wheel of a car was driving down the suburban roads of my old neighborhood. The speed limit around there is about 30 mph, and I was afraid to go anything past 15 mph because it would be "too fast." ._.

Needless to say, I improved. I've now got a license, and I drive all the time. o/

Still, I got to relive that fun experience a few weeks ago when my dad decided he was going to teach me how to drive a standard vehicle. That vehicle just so happened to be his new Mustang... and I was afraid to go over 10 mph in that hella-amazing car.

Alinthea
September 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
First driving experience was fine.

Nothing bad happened.
Surprisingly, I am a good driver.

Signomi
September 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
In England, we can't get a provisional license which allows us to drive cars until we're 17 (though you can drive at any age on privately owned land or something)

^ this. It's a known fact about the UK and its driving scheme.

That said, my first time driving was on my first driving lesson, that was planned to be on my 17th birthday but unfortunately had to be postponed due to the instructor being ill, on the 15th January 2008 I was behind the wheel for the very first time, it was really nerving and all we basically did was just...lord, I sounded the horn numerous times and even held it down because I was so frightened to feel the car moving after my instructor released the handbrake, even had a little slap fight after that. My first time driving was such an odd thing to go through... XD;

Though here I am over a year later with an official UK driving licence, I passed my test around October and I really haven't looked back, I love driving and it's really one of the few things that can completely unnerve me and make me enjoy it.

Synaesthesia
September 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Well my dad's let me handle the wheel for a few seconds from the passenger seat while he pressed on the gas, which was really awkward so I wouldn't really count it. Other than that, I've never truly been behind the wheel, however I did pass my written driver's test last summer so I can get behind it whenever I want. :3 as long as there's a fully licensed driver in the car with me

s0nido
September 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Yes. I was around 7 or 8 at the time. It involved me pressing the accelerator for a second and nearly killing everyone in the car. :\ Thankfully, the guy who let me drive immediately pressed the brakes, so we were saved from blowing up.

poopnoodle
September 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
My friend's old car frequently shut down in the middle of highways, the experiences were so awkward

Firebird306
September 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Being the uncoordinated person I am, naturally I would be accident prone. I imagine my first driving experience to be hitting the accelerator instead of the brakes and smashing into our house or similar.

Something involving pwning myself. XD

Astinus
September 3rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
I was 18 my first time behind the wheel. (Didn't have the time to drive before then.) It was in a shopping center parking lot during the busiest time of the day, and I managed to park my mother's van between the lines while freaking out that I would drive into the building.

Right now, though, I'm relearning how to drive. I only have experience driving minivans, and I'm now driving on a sedan. It's all new to me (I find it easier to drive vans), so a few days ago was my first time driving again in almost four years. Didn't do too badly on the actual road. Parking was an entirely different issue. Nearly hit my father's van pulling into the driveway.

With the exception of that one time nearly hitting a car, I'm actually rather good at driving. It's something that I always enjoy doing.

Timbjerr
September 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Being the uncoordinated person I am, naturally I would be accident prone. I imagine my first driving experience to be hitting the accelerator instead of the brakes and smashing into our house or similar.

Something involving pwning myself. XD

I almost did something very similar to that when I was learning to drive...except it involved my church instead of my house. XD

Camisado
September 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
My first driving experience? Hmm...my parents had bought me my car (http://www.twitpic.com/epp90), and my mum took me out to one of the farm roads. I had to learn CLUTCH CONTROL because we pretty much all drive manual (stick shift, or whatever you want to call it - we call it manual). I stalled it so much. I never did get the hang of the clutch before dad took me out and explained the engineering behind it.

I'm really good now. You would hope so after over 50 professionally instructed lessons, and passing my driving test with only five minor faults on the first go.

I can't say I enjoy driving, it's just something I have to do because I live in a rural area and we get about four buses a day.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
September 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I drive ok. No funny stories or anything, other than braking a little too fast when I first started, though I quickly got over that. The brakes in my mom's truck were more sensitive than I realized. XD

Venusaur♣
September 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
You're 17 and this was your first time driving?

Anyway my first time driving was... when I was 12 or so, I didn't know how to brake.
Same here I hit my cousins neighbors garbage can and my cousin and I sped off as his neighbor chased us.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I ran into the garage door when I was 16

:t354:TG

Mitchman
September 5th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I was born to drive I think. Actually that was my only time 2 years ago because I scared him doing the turns to fast. XD

donavannj
September 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
My first time driving, I didn't go faster than 20 MPH, but I did amazing. It was on some country roads, though. I was... 12? 13? I can't remember.

>Feelings<
September 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Hmm... My first times driving...
I always like to be on the safer side, so I got a little nervous my very first time and had to start the car about three times before I got it right.
For me, it was tougher, and that's because I learned mostly using a manual-geared car (stick shift), and always messed up on the clutch for the first five days.

After a week, I got really good at driving. But then, my instructor told me to practice using an auto-geared car.
Guess what happened the first time on this car? I started the car, then pushed my feet against the clutch, only to find that it doesn't exist in this car XD.

In my whole driving lifetime, I only had about two little accidents.
Don't think of me as a not-so-good driver because of that. If you saw the city I live in, you would know what is wrong. People don't follow any rules here!
The first time, it was because one vehicle that is not a car turned and scratched the back of my car because he doesn't even care if my car gets damaged. After that, the guy fled.
The second time, it was also because one vehicle that is not a car was driving on the wrong side of the road without me noticing, and then put another scratch on the left side, then he fled too before I could get him.
In my place, rules and regulations are things people couldn't care any less about...

Guillermo
September 5th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I was like 10 the first time I drove and I nearly killed everyone in the car. It was on cruise control too.

Citrinin
September 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I've never driven a car. XD; But I honestly think I'll be terrible at it. >_<

Corvus of the Black Night
September 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I got my learner's license about two weeks ago. I haven't run anyone over as of today, but of course, that could all change (oh joy!)

I actually learned in a van, which is a good decision on the school's part.