PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea banned from signing players until Jan 2011

Nuke
September 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8236187.stm

I realise there is a premiership thread but its been inactive so it'd be a double post and this is a pretty big story. But move it there if you wish.

I had to laugh when I read this. I think it'll only take a few signings from other clubs for them to surpass a team who didn't do much business this year and cant next year. Man City will be likely to spend just to take advantage of this too. Arsenal & Liverpool are freed for now but I think Arsenal will need to spend well next year to keep their place.

Thoughts?

Hassamu
September 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Seems pretty harsh, Chelsea could end up struggling in a few years now considering they have an aging squad. However I do not mind at all if this means City can break into the top four =P

hashtag
September 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Why wouldn't Chelsea last? They're a fantastic footballing team and have fantastic staff and players, I really don't see where you're coming from. Chelsea are top of the league at the time being and are flying high, Ancelotti seems to have revived them. I really see them winning the Premiership this year, with Drogba and Anelka working together brilliantly they are just sublime. Chelsea probably have the strongest midfield in the world, and with their back up players being top class as well. Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Deco, Obi Mikel, Zhirkov and so on. They really have a team that can survive and be successful at the top for many years to come. They have one of the best 'keepers in the world and one hell of a defense. Terry and Carvalho dominate every game and make Chelsea look so sure. Plus they have back up players like Ivanovic who is also fantastic. On the note of being fined and suspended, I know it's a big matter and a huge blow, but in the long run Chelsea will get their heads down and work hard. They know they can win the title without paying, they are already proving to be fantastic under Ancelotti.

Nuke
September 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Why wouldn't Chelsea last? They're a fantastic footballing team and have fantastic staff and players, I really don't see where you're coming from. Chelsea are top of the league at the time being and are flying high, Ancelotti seems to have revived them. I really see them winning the Premiership this year, with Drogba and Anelka working together brilliantly they are just sublime. Chelsea probably have the strongest midfield in the world, and with their back up players being top class as well. Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Deco, Obi Mikel, Zhirkov and so on. They really have a team that can survive and be successful at the top for many years to come. They have one of the best 'keepers in the world and one hell of a defense. Terry and Carvalho dominate every game and make Chelsea look so sure. Plus they have back up players like Ivanovic who is also fantastic. On the note of being fined and suspended, I know it's a big matter and a huge blow, but in the long run Chelsea will get their heads down and work hard. They know they can win the title without paying, they are already proving to be fantastic under Ancelotti.

Too many of their players are overrated.

Cech hasnt been good for the last two years and Ivanovic's 'ability' is based on a couple of Liverpool matches.

Their squad is too old and they'll have clocked another year without any youth being brought in.

Their spot in the big four will be under threat thanks to Man City, one transfer window would be all it would take. You can see Abrahomivic going if all doesnt go to plan in 10/11. It all doesnt matter though, I think they'll get this overturned.

Mukkamoto
September 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Not only is this a problem for Chelsea, but Mikel, Essien, Drogba and Kalou all off to the african nations :( so Chelsea are in trouble.
I also think the ban will be overturned, however this wont make a difference to the state of their team atm

Serene Grace
September 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm just imagining Nelson saying "haha"

Servers them right.. The stol Mikel from Man United and I'm still fuming over that.

Alinthea
September 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
It is their own idiotic fault.

Hassamu
September 3rd, 2009, 11:44 AM

Yes the Chelsea side are strong now, but take a look at how old there players are.
Lampard is 31, Deco is 32, Carvalho is 31, Ballack is 32. None of these players are going to have more than 2 or 3 years more playing at the highest level, and as it stands Chelsea cannot replace them.

Barney.
September 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
I laughed.

Anyway, I think this is really going to screw them over.

They stated that they will try too bring in new players during the window too fill the gap of the players leaving for the African Nations.

XD

Tudj
September 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Well it serves themselves right, and now they are going to pay for the next 2 years. Like in the article what can they do when african nations and World CUp come around, they can't be full strength for both. But I can still see Chelsea being the strong team they are now. But they can still borrow from the youth team right?

Nuke
September 6th, 2009, 07:37 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8240350.stm

Debate over banning U18 players from moving at all now. A few countries already use this rule (Brazil) so it wouldnt be the biggest change ever.

I wouldnt mind the ruling, players still advance alot in terms of skill from 18 to 23 and alot of players have ruined their career by moving too early.