PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Sign Up Quiz

Samme!
September 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Recently, I've been noticing more and more threads being created that are totally pointless, have already been clearly posted, or are extremely trollish and opinionated.

I know this will probably be turned down, but what do you think about having some sort of Quiz like GPX uses when somebody signs up? This would require them to read the rules and full understand the purpose of PC.

patch.
September 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Honestly I found the GTS+ quiz a complete drag, and with one or two answers wrong I had to re-do the whole thing entirely, almost making me quit before I started. I believe that this will just stop people joining; if someone posts a pointless thread, report them and move on. :/

Angela
September 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Recently, I've been noticing more and more threads being created that are totally pointless, have already been clearly posted, or are extremely trollish and opinionated.

I know this will probably be turned down, but what do you think about having some sort of Quiz like GPX uses when somebody signs up? This would require them to read the rules and full understand the purpose of PC.

I think I've seen a suggestion like this before...

Anyway I know of a tool that forces members on forum to read rules before being able to post.. It allows mod to make a member agree to the rules again....

The mod hit's a button in the persons profile.. The person gets a messages that tells them they have to re-agree to the rules...

Melody
September 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Oh god, this is the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

The quiz stuff doesn't work, it pisses users off and makes them leave. Not to mention, that GPX STILL has a lot of n00bs doing stupid stuff. People would pass the quiz and never give another thought to it.

The forced rereading of the rules thing is pretty handy if you ask me. That wouldn't be too bad. (Since a mod could force people to read the rules again, especially if they claimed ignorance)

Yoshimi
September 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Some people never learn. PC isn't a site where people are exempt from that rule. Besides, the good old permaban has never failed us before, so why change now?

And it's a bit weird that you are talking about this samme.
Weren't you the one who absolutely hated having to take the quiz just to get your eggs?

Kisaragi
September 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I agree. Also, we should require a contract signature. It's the only way people, it's the only way.

.little monster
September 9th, 2009, 01:06 PM

The quiz stuff doesn't work, it pisses users off and makes them leave. Not to mention, that GPX STILL has a lot of n00bs doing stupid stuff. People would pass the quiz and never give another thought to it.

The forced rereading of the rules thing is pretty handy if you ask me. That wouldn't be too bad. (Since a mod could force people to read the rules again, especially if they claimed ignorance)

Well aren't you just so open minded!

I kind of agree with this..not completely. I just think a complete quiz over the rules is a bit..too much..

patch.
September 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I agree. Also, we should require a contract signature. It's the only way people, it's the only way.

I'm going to presume you're being sarcastic, but if not, I don't really see how you can think that way. :x

Why not just close off member registrations while you're at it? -sigh-

Kisaragi
September 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Why not just close off member registrations while you're at it? Hey, great idea. Let's wait for a staff member's opinion.

Samme!
September 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Geesh. Thanks for bashing me for a simple idea.

Some people never learn. PC isn't a site where people are exempt from that rule. Besides, the good old permaban has never failed us before, so why change now?

And it's a bit weird that you are talking about this samme.
Weren't you the one who absolutely hated having to take the quiz just to get your eggs?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a quiz. Just something that ends the annoyance.

O.k close now please.

øbliteration
September 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
This'll scare too many members off. Bad idea, seen it somewhere before -- just gotta take the bad w/ the good.

Master Terrador
September 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
This Has Been Brought Up Before And Flat Out Rejected...
Basically...Some people always break the rules once in a while...
Its Basically unavoidable and just makes users aggravated...
And At this point its pretty much pointless...
A Quiz Won't solve anything...
Especially Since Users can just select random answers to flat out cheat on it...=\

Timbjerr
September 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I think I've seen a suggestion like this before...

Anyway I know of a tool that forces members on forum to read rules before being able to post.. It allows mod to make a member agree to the rules again....

The mod hit's a button in the persons profile.. The person gets a messages that tells them they have to re-agree to the rules...

I wouldn't mind something like this, but a quiz like what GPX forces on new users is just too much...makes you feel like you're in school or something. XD

NarutoActor
September 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah I wouldn't want to take a quiz ether I have enough of dose in school I come to pc to get away from that kind of stuff

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM

As not to repeat what others have said, and speak from a my staff point of view, this sort of thing would alienate a lot of members. If new members create pointless threads, how we're dealing with them right now (you report, we close) is a system that works fine right now, and people learn (and others learn from) when they're threads are closed (most of the time).

If there needs to be a change of formula, this is an extreme tactic.

Samme!
September 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
As not to repeat what others have said, and speak from a my staff point of view, this sort of thing would alienate a lot of members. If new members create pointless threads, how we're dealing with them right now (you report, we close) is a system that works fine right now, and people learn (and others learn from) when they're threads are closed (most of the time).

Okay, I like hearing it from a staff's point of view more than other nagging people. BUt I understand what you mean.

Fox♠
September 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Why do you feel the need to be so rude? I don't know why you think it's ok, but it's not. The idea wasn't stupid, it was a productive thought. I'd like to see you suggest something better, i really would.

Anyway, Samme, I do like your idea, in theory it's good, but the practicality of it it isn't I'm afraid. Although everyone should read the rules, it's unfair to not give a chance to those who haven't. But like I said, it's a good idea, just unpractical.

Arago
September 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Even though this is entirely unlikely to happen, I've always found that most members simply come here with one intention in mind... to download a rom hack. It's usually, like... 1/20 members who join that manage to take the time to explore the community. That seems to be the case in the majority of the communities there are; regardless of its intention. Someone who really wants to be here and really wants to take the time to join the community and embark on discussions and create friendships with whomever they chose... I really don't think a quiz is going to stop them from joining if they really want to join. And at the end of the day, the active members in the past 60 days seems to be the statistic that means the most... There are very few sites that have 21,389 active members... much less members at all.

If you weed out the people who want to create discussion with others and make friendship from the people who are joining just for one purpose in mind, regardless of what it is, I'm pretty sure that the overall forum would benefit from having only people who want to be here register. Seeing as how most of them register, log in, download something (in most cases, Shiny Gold) and leave. Never to come back again unless they have a question in relation to the hack. Only a hand few seem to come for that download and continue to be active or come back from nowhere and suddenly start posting everywhere.

All this talk about "omg. the users will leave. they'll leave and never come back." from the other replies really makes me laugh because that already happens.

Anyway, nice suggestion. It's something I've always wanted to happen to a community as large as this (even before GPX had it). Shame it won't, though.

And Pachy, wow. Way to be rude. It's a suggestion. You've had your fair share of people bashing you in your suggestions and you went all emo over about it. What makes you think its any better for you to do so in this case? Seriously... :|

Samme!
September 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Even though this is entirely unlikely to happen, I've always found that most members simply come here with one intention in mind... to download a rom hack. It's usually, like... 1/20 members who join that manage to take the time to explore the community. That seems to be the case in the majority of the communities there are; regardless of its intention. Someone who really wants to be here and really wants to take the time to join the community and embark on discussions and create friendships with whomever they chose... I really don't think a quiz is going to stop them from joining if they really want to join. And at the end of the day, the active members in the past 60 days seems to be the statistic that means the most... There are very few sites that have 21,389 active members... much less members at all.

If you weed out the people who want to create discussion with others and make friendship from the people who are joining just for one purpose in mind, regardless of what it is, I'm pretty sure that the overall forum would benefit from having only people who want to be here register. Seeing as how most of them register, log in, download something (in most cases, Shiny Gold) and leave. Never to come back again unless they have a question in relation to the hack. Only a hand few seem to come for that download and continue to be active or come back from nowhere and suddenly start posting everywhere.

All this talk about "omg. the users will leave. they'll leave and never come back." from the other replies really makes me laugh because that already happens.

Anyway, nice suggestion. It's something I've always wanted to happen to a community as large as this (even before GPX had it). Shame it won't, though.

And Pachy, wow. Way to be rude. It's a suggestion. You've had your fair share of people bashing you in your suggestions and you went all emo over about it. What makes you think its any better for you to do so in this case? Seriously... :|

That literally just blew my mind. I'm glad someone thinks the way I do :)

Arago
September 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I've never really been able to understand why people are so inclined to have a higher member count. If you ask me, it isn't the member count that's impressive, but how many of those members are actually active. If you have 200+ people joining a day, and only 10 or so out of those 200+ are actually going to become active members, then what's the point? I don't like how so many people are focusing this on members when, like I said, only a handfew from the total member count are actually active. Why should it really matter?

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't even care about the member count at all. I don't really see a need to, to be honest. :|

Mika
September 10th, 2009, 01:06 PM

XD: I agree with this seeing as having four of my threads locked on me has been one of the most influential things period on my writing style. It's embarrassing to have all the locks when you search for threads made under my name but it's a reminder of mistakes I've made and a constant push to do better. I go back and read my old stuff every now and then just to wince and remind myself of my n00b days. :P

Tho, perhaps [and in some sections it just wouldn't work] you could consider requiring moderator approval for new threads? I'm torn on the idea myself to be honest. XD; The biggest downside I think to any of this is that some people wouldn't make new threads period or wouldn't even try out of fear of being declined or rebuked or anything like that more than some people already are. You'd probably also see a rise in moderator stress from people whining 10 minutes after submission 'is my thread up yet? why did u not put up my thread?' which, theoretically, could cause other problems because then the mods would have to deal with that sort of inbox spam ON TOP of moderating new threads and keeping an eye on the threads still open and running. I mean call them slackers if you want but that's a hell of a lot of work in some sections [thinking mainly places like OVP and OC and OT here. XD; and this, again, is just pure speculation] and that's not fair to just drop on people because you're tired of seeing pointless topics and spam. World does not revolve around an individual member. Heck, I don't really like spam or pointless topics but I used to post in them too and I thought they were the coolest things ever. :P If it crosses the line between obnoxious and spam, report it and let someone pretty give a final answer. Idk, that's what I do. XD;

Anywho, that's... what I got to say. :D If I'm spewing nonsense I apologize.

Samme!
September 10th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I've never really been able to understand why people are so inclined to have a higher member count. If you ask me, it isn't the member count that's impressive, but how many of those members are actually active. If you have 200+ people joining a day, and only 10 or so out of those 200+ are actually going to become active members, then what's the point? I don't like how so many people are focusing this on members when, like I said, only a handfew from the total member count are actually active. Why should it really matter?

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't even care about the member count at all. I don't really see a need to, to be honest. :|

True, and this may sound a little but winey but all those 190 or so users a day have usernames that could be put to good use. Haha