PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Multiple viewing forum languages

Sajuuk
September 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Is it possible for the PokeCommunity to have a choice of which language you wish the board to be viewed in? This could make it easier for those where English isn't their first language to understand what we say.

What do you think? :)

.Seth
September 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM
You know you can translate a website via an online translator...

Sajuuk
September 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I know that, but that seems an awful lot of work for someone who quickly wants to know what someone is saying, rather than search for an online translator, where they could easily click a drop-down box at the bottom and select their preferred language

.Seth
September 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
You know, the staff could just have a drop-down list at the bottom with the links being "http:// www.onlinetranslator'sURL/..." with pokecommunity being the translated page...

processr
September 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM
k so are you offering to translate everything?

Thought not.

Yoshimi
September 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM

The thing is that most translators aren't accurate. Google translator is nefariously inaccurate, from what it seems.

Honestly, there would be many problems with this idea. For one, there doesn't seem to be any willing translators. Two, the translations aren't accurate themselves. If you followed the English language, you would know that it's is really frustrating that words(with homophones) can be used, even when they can both fit in the same context. Lastly, there is still the thing called different characters. The Chinese language has 47,000(more or less) characters, and that will cause problems. Even with the fact that only 4,000 are used, it will still make a hubbub to some people, especially to the ones not fluent in it. That isn't including the accent marks, because an accent can mean a big difference, despite the internet having no need for pronunciation.
It's a nice thought, but it is a pipe dream in the end.

Buoysel
September 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Just go to Google translator, select English as the first language, and your language as the output, then pokecommunity.com in the translation box.

While it may be inaccurate, its better then not being able to understand anything at all.

Timbjerr
September 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM
The biggest problem with this idea is that no one on this board is 100% free of typos or slang usage. Most common online translators don't know what do do with

lol, ur right, pikachu is a pokemon for n00bs.

-.-

Melody
September 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Well, I do belive that vBulletin offers some language packs that translates things like the options, and text generated by the forum itself. That wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to ask for. However, the posts will NOT be translated.

Language packs only change the language of vBulletin itself, you'll still have to puzzle out what's being said in the posts yourself, or rely on a translator.

That being said, this is an English only forum...so don't get upset if the staff says no. Being an English-only community, and accommodating other languages with language packs, selectors ect... would defeat the purpose.

That being said, no one here will complain at you if your command of the English language is only minimal, as long as what you are saying is readable, and we can understand you. (Though some sections of the forum you may not want to post in if your grammar is poor, like RP/Writing/ect..)

If you are not confident enough in your command of the English language, then don't join, don't post, and don't waste your own time here. Go learn more English if you really want to join.

Sajuuk
September 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Well, I do belive that vBulletin offers some language packs that translates things like the options, and text generated by the forum itself. That wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to ask for. However, the posts will NOT be translated.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about everyone.
And I am willing to translate somethings for PC.

Melody
September 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Well, translating isn't easy work. You'd need a whole team of translators, and translation checkers, not to mention, everyone involved would need intimate knowledge of PHP, CSS and HTML, as well as one team member (from staff) with sufficient administrative access. I'm not speaking for the staff when I say all this, I'm just guessing that most likely, it won't happen unless we get a large number of members backing such a project/idea.

Not to mention, we'd need a team for EVERY language we're translating to...in order to translate the stuff that the vBulletin language packs don't cover. (I.E. Custom plug-ins, modifications, themes)

s0nido
September 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Simple. We don't need the PokeCommunity to be in different languages because this is an English-speaking forum. No one can rock up and begin posting in Chinese. It's no problem to have all the other things in other languages like options and buttons, but posts must remain in English. If someone can't speak English, then they wouldn't find this forum useful at all.

Cherrim
September 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Okay, giving the official no (not that Spey is here to see it).

PC is an English forum. If foreign language speakers want to browse and post here, that's fine, but it'll be only in English. Even if we just added extra languages to the board software, it might encourage people to post in their native language which we do not want because... the Staff speaks English. Yeah, some of us speak other languages too but moderating and policing in multiple languages is a big do not want.

(We once considered merging with a Spanish forum a while back and this was the main reason we all said no. :>)

Rukario
September 24th, 2009, 08:29 AM
The biggest problem with this idea is that no one on this board is 100% free of typos or slang usage. Most common online translators don't know what do do with

-.-

uh huh..

Translation: English » Spanish
lol, ur right, pikachu is a pokemon for n00bs.

lol, ur right, Pikachu es un Pokémon para n00bs.

anyway.. i think what most of you forget is that people will write their posts in mostly english and most multi-language sites, the "content" (posts here) is not translated.. thats where these 3rd party site translators come in.. and well we know they're not the best.

At the most, IF we were to offer translations, and we're not going to as stated above, it would be for core items such as menus, ucp, profiles, and so forth not for content.