PDA

View Full Version : The Graphics Lounge / Q&A

Gummy
September 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM
THE GRAPHICS LOUNGE

Alright, the last one was pretty darn old, so I figured we could start fresh-- wait, I can be more original than this! Well, not really. This is where all us graphics artists/photographers/random passerbys come to kick back and relax. Try to stay on the topic of G&P, but going off on a little tangent is okay. But first, here are some links you might want to click:

The PokeCommunity Rules (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91723)
G&P Rules (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=113719)
The [OLD] Graphics Lounge (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127707)

Naruto Uzumaki
September 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Anyone know any good photography tips and any tips on what is the best to make graphics on gimp, ps, etc. (free)? 1st post~

Comic Tragedy
September 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I CRISTEN THIS THREAD WITH MY AWESOMENESS
There I did my business.

Sorry percentage I can't help you with either question. Two reasons, I can't take a good photo to save my life. Also, I didn't fully understand you're second question...

Re explain mebeh? :3

Naruto Uzumaki
September 13th, 2009, 10:22 AM
i mean what are some good graphic makers that are free, like gimp

Dragonbane
September 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM
i mean what are some good graphic makers that are free, like gimp

Paint.net is pretty good ;)

Naruto Uzumaki
September 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
thats a different thing, not exactly what im looking for

the bitter end.
September 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I really don't know many decent ones other than GIMP, and I'm not a big fan of GIMP either, so I'd suggest just getting Photoshop Elements maybe. It's not that expensive.

Comic Tragedy
September 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Yea percentage, GIMP is pretty much your only good free photo editing software.
Nuthin much else to add...

Loki
September 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Comic Tragedy.
I can't take it anymore.
you're =/= your.
Dx

And yeah, GIMP is essentially the best free program you can get. For one, if you can master it, it's essentially the same as Photoshop.
Paint.net and all those other programs seriously fall short in terms of GIMP's capabilities.

Guy
September 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I am currently using Gimp as I don't have access to Photshop. However, like mentioned by Loki if you learn to master Gimp in the right way then you can become just as good or even equal to that of those who use Photoshop. I've been using Gimp for a few months now and I will admit that my practice in tags and icons have evolved since I first started, but I know there is a lot more to learn with the program.

Plus, if you check Gimp's official site you will know that they are currently in the works of creating a new stable version, Gimp 2.8.

Dukey
September 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hm, guess this thread has been dead for a while, so I'm gonna throw a suggestion out there.

G&P Awards.
My idea is, a selected board if you want decide each month who would be deserving of an award which would be given out monthly?
Y'know like best newb [graphics wise obviously], best tag and best gallery?
Best gallery, as an added extra could be given a stickied thread for the month.

Just a neat idea.

Gummy
September 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I've actually been thinking about holding a gallery of the month sort of thing with that prize. However, I've been skeptical on how the gallery would be chosen. I was torn between just me and Loki discussing it, or having an official Discussion/Voting thread. If we went with the second choice, then some clear rules and requirements would need to be made to even be eligible for the prize. Your idea might work to, but I have to talk to Loki and let more members discuss it here.

Unsure about the best newb/tag thing.

Mr. Epic
September 28th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I am currently using Gimp as I don't have access to Photshop. However, like mentioned by Loki if you learn to master Gimp in the right way then you can become just as good or even equal to that of those who use Photoshop.
I started with GIMP and kept to it, I find it much easier to use than PS.

Dukey
September 28th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I've actually been thinking about holding a gallery of the month sort of thing with that prize. However, I've been skeptical on how the gallery would be chosen. I was torn between just me and Loki discussing it, or having an official Discussion/Voting thread. If we went with the second choice, then some clear rules and requirements would need to be made to even be eligible for the prize. Your idea might work to, but I have to talk to Loki and let more members discuss it here.

Unsure about the best newb/tag thing.

Yeah, the other two ideas were simply just add ons to the whole thing, but the gallery thing was my main idea.

abnegation
September 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Anyone know any good photography tips
?
What type of photos are you planning on taking? I could point you in a direction if you gave me some details on your background and what type of photographer you would like to be?
Sorry for the lateness aso lol

moments.
September 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Ew what has G&P become?
Galleries by the infamous graphic artists of PC like CME, Loki, Comic Tragedy, Munna, vVintage, Josephine, Rowan and Cherii are almost non existant nowadays, and the few that are like Dukey, Gummy and Ezzo have such low activity for art of their calibre...
G&P is transforming, and I can't say I like it much!

Dukey
September 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Ew what has G&P become?
Galleries by the infamous graphic artists of PC like CME, Loki, Comic Tragedy, Munna, vVintage, Josephine, Rowan and Cherii are almost non existant nowadays, and the few that are like Dukey, Gummy and Ezzo have such low activity for art of their calibre...
G&P is transforming, and I can't say I like it much!

I for one will have to agree here, it's a shame that people just assume once they've looked at and/or posted in a gallery once that's enough.
People update alright, give 'em a chance.

Funny how most of those people have become mysteriously inactive over the last month or so isn't it? That's all.

moments.
September 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Well I for one did go inactive for a long time on holiday and I come back and this has happened. Do not take this the wrong way anybody who may be involved in this, but there are so many galleries open who get heaps of comments with heaps of praise and such, when in fact the graphics aren't that great to start with. I can understand why people do it, but logic says they should be in all the other galleries making comments as well to the more experienced and clearly more skilled artists here.

I am considering making a gallery again, but the one thing that is making me reconsider is the fact that if G&P continues like it seems to be doing, my gallery will be thrown to the side and end up on Page 3 with two comments.
Nearly all the galleries on the front page are people who make graphics and have a lot of friends on the forums and so their gallery stays up the top.
The real artists here with less forum friends who may just come here to post art are being unrightfully left behind.
/rant.

Dukey
September 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
We should totally start a revolt and make an uprisal against these new ways.
or just blame gummy

moments.
October 1st, 2009, 12:54 AM
I reckon start a revolt and Gummy is going to be on our side as well as Loki so we cannot lose with so much power on our hands!
I already have major plans for sabotage!

Dukey
October 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM
Revolt usually fights the power, otherwise there isn't much to fight XD

bit.trip void
October 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Fight the lurkers into actually posting :D.

moments.
October 1st, 2009, 03:19 AM
We just need to educate PC as to what art truly is.

Comic Tragedy
October 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
We just need to educate PC as to what art truly is.
Oh I know, the thing my friend made that looks cool.

Misheard Whisper
October 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Fight the lurkers into actually posting :D.

No fighting needed. :3 I'm here.

Er, hi. I'm Misheard Whisper (aka Missy, Alex or Sparkles), and I've been lurking here for a while now. I downloaded GIMP the other day because I was sick of having a boring signature, and I haven't stopped since. I whacked up a gallery (because this forum needs more love), and I figured I'd drop by here and get to know the locals.

Comic Tragedy
October 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hello. I never leave this section.
- end of el capitano's pc memoire

THIRTY-SIX
October 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
memoirs ... too many people are obsessed with leaving their mark.

Comic Tragedy
October 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
suicide notes ... just die already.

THIRTY-SIX
October 16th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Some of them are beautifully written.

Comic Tragedy
October 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
ah, many a suicide note has made me laugh, weep, smile, frown...

scyfer
October 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
i have a quick question on graphics n stuff, i dont know about any of this stuff
so is there any way to reduce a pictures color to a shade of a single color with like just microsoft picture manager or paint? i just have those basic programs
and if so how?
thanks, i appreciate it.

Doonesbury
October 17th, 2009, 03:28 AM
i have a quick question on graphics n stuff, i dont know about any of this stuff
so is there any way to reduce a pictures color to a shade of a single color with like just microsoft picture manager or paint? i just have those basic programs
and if so how?
thanks, i appreciate it.

You mean gradient maps? No, neither microsoft paint nor picture manager would really classify as strong photo-editing software... like, at all. I'm sure you could find an online service that would do this for you, though. Or you could always just download Photoshop.

Reminiscing
October 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM
You mean gradient maps? No, neither microsoft paint nor picture manager would really classify as strong photo-editing software... like, at all. I'm sure you could find an online service that would do this for you, though. Or you could always just download Photoshop.
Doonesbury is right, you could also download GIMP, Photoshop has trial.

Gummy
October 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
lol just realized i can edit titles by double clicking. totally wanna do this more so if anyone needs a tittle change, just holler.

Loki
October 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
lol just realized i can edit titles by double clicking. totally wanna do this more so if anyone needs a tittle change, just holler.

^ Lol you.

I'll PM you when I think of a thread title for my gallery, how's that? :D
[/SHOT]

Gummy
October 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
wow loki that was just mean on like seven levels :(

Angela
October 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
wow loki that was just mean on like seven levels :(
*Comforts* It's ok baby, the big meanie is gone.. :3

You can add [Last updates 22/10] into my gallery if you want.. :3

Also lets talk about me and were my style is going.. :3

We used to do that in the old lounges... xD

So my newest banner is in my sig.. Discuss, for better or worse?

Gummy
October 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Yeah not doing stuff like that :x

And please leave that kind of stuff in the GRT, Angela.

Doonesbury
October 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Good concept, bad execution. It's unbalanced. The C4D coming out of her cigarette should be the focal; try centering it a little more and blurring everything else a bit. Good lighting effects can also help define the focal. As for where your style is going, I really don't know. I haven't been around to watch it develop, so... can't really help ya there.

EDIT: Yeah not doing stuff like that :x

And please leave that kind of stuff in the GRT, Angela.Nevermind...

Slumber
October 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm interested in Photography so what's the good camera on using them :3 I'm planning to buy one.
Also, where can I find good renders or stocks?

moments.
October 26th, 2009, 11:16 PM
The infamous Planetrenders (http://www.planetrenders.net) is great for renders of many sorts.
Stocks can be found by googling, but there are a lot of low quality stuff out there, so it is often wise to set the image size in search to large or medium so you always get the nice big images.

Doonesbury
October 27th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I'm interested in Photography so what's the good camera on using them :3 I'm planning to buy one.
Also, where can I find good renders or stocks?

Join a few reputable GFX forums and rape their resource sections. Best way to get your hands on renders/stocks. As for your camera problem, I have no idea. I'm not that into photography, anyone else want to help out on this one?

AtomicoExploda
October 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Well I for one did go inactive for a long time on holiday and I come back and this has happened. Do not take this the wrong way anybody who may be involved in this, but there are so many galleries open who get heaps of comments with heaps of praise and such, when in fact the graphics aren't that great to start with. I can understand why people do it, but logic says they should be in all the other galleries making comments as well to the more experienced and clearly more skilled artists here.

I am considering making a gallery again, but the one thing that is making me reconsider is the fact that if G&P continues like it seems to be doing, my gallery will be thrown to the side and end up on Page 3 with two comments.
Nearly all the galleries on the front page are people who make graphics and have a lot of friends on the forums and so their gallery stays up the top.
The real artists here with less forum friends who may just come here to post art are being unrightfully left behind.
/rant.

Really late to be replying to that but, meh. lol
Wow, that's actually really true. More known members get a load of comments, and less known get put back on page three, or even whipped off the section and put into archive. xD That's actually why I never posted a gallery here, because I knew it would "be thrown to the side and end up on Page 3 with two comments." But I was considering it anyway because I may be wrong (although that's something I highly doubt).
Well yeah, I really agree with what you said there.

AcidNight
October 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM
That's not totally the truth, I suck and yet I'm able to keep myself on the first page.
If you don't like things as they are just post more than the others, get better in less time and get more comments.
Goal accomplished, yay~
But then again you can just pay no mind to me 'cause I suck D:

Gummy
October 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
That's not totally the truth, I'm pretty good which is why I'm able to keep myself on the first page.
If you don't like things as they are just post more than the others, get better in less time and get more comments.
Goal accomplished, yay~
But then again you can just pay no mind to me 'cause I'm pretty good.

Fixed that for you. By no means do you suck.

AtomicoExploda
October 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
That's not totally the truth, I suck and yet I'm able to keep myself on the first page.
Goal accomplished, yay~
But then again you can just pay no mind to me 'cause I suck D:

Yeah, I guess that may be true, but then again you only posted your thread on October 20th, and it's slowly sinking down on the first page as you can see. xD
And no, you're actually pretty good to be honest.

AcidNight
October 28th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Fixed that for you. By no means do you suck.
Yeah, I guess that may be true, but then again you only posted your thread on October 20th, and it's slowly sinking down on the first page as you can see. xD
And no, you're actually pretty good to be honest.

I'm a novice, by all means I suck.

That happens on every forum, you don't post other people do, your thread sinks.
In this forum it happens quite slowly, usually a thread of mine would be in 3rd page with 2 posts (literally) in like 2 hours.

Misheard Whisper
October 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM
idk, it's the same as in the fanfiction forum. If you want people to comment on your thread, you've got to go and comment on others'. *shrugs* Being good helps, but not everyone can be a prodigy. I hope to be good, and I like it when people tell me when I suck, because they usually tell me what I can do to get better, and I like that. Because honestly, I'm not gonna learn much on my own. :/

Loki
October 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
For me, it's more like, I don't comment in galleries where I know I'm not going to get a response.
I don't like wasting my time, y'know?
So sometimes, the less experienced artists tend to be more receiving towards what I say, because I'm sure we all agree that the more experienced you are, the more snot faced you tend to be. (Lol that's the way I am anyway.)

But yeah, the deal with FF like Misheard said is totally true. I remember when I used to write fanfiction it was obligated courtesy to go read at least a little of someone else's story if they commented on yours- although if you were one of the 60 chapter writers, it was kind of like, "K, no." But yeah.

moments.
October 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
What I got out of this last page of Lounge is that the reason my stuff is not commented is because I am not good at graphics, so thank you all.

Also Atomico, the main point I was making is the fact that people will often come in, leave a comment and leave it there because they 'left a comment'. Yep, a single comment. Good on you guys! I post an update to get comments, not to let it sit there. But don't worry about posting guys, you already left a comment way up in my thread, you don't need to gimme advice / cnc on my newer graphics...
What I hate even more is the ironic comments that are like, "Dude you're really awesome keep it up." Not only do they provide me with no substance or anything, but how am I meant to keep my graphics up when I get no comments and thus making it so much harder to improve.

Significant rant is significant, but I really am quite disgusted with the current state of the G&P. Where did vVintage's gallery go? Like the 5th page, and most likely because she got nearly no comments and thus felt it useless to keep posting. vVintage was used for the sake of example, there are many others who have gone off the radar unfairly...

AtomicoExploda
October 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM
What I got out of this last page of Lounge is that the reason my stuff is not commented is because I am not good at graphics, so thank you all.

Also Atomico, the main point I was making is the fact that people will often come in, leave a comment and leave it there because they 'left a comment'. Yep, a single comment. Good on you guys! I post an update to get comments, not to let it sit there. But don't worry about posting guys, you already left a comment way up in my thread, you don't need to gimme advice / cnc on my newer graphics...
What I hate even more is the ironic comments that are like, "Dude you're really awesome keep it up." Not only do they provide me with no substance or anything, but how am I meant to keep my graphics up when I get no comments and thus making it so much harder to improve.

Significant rant is significant, but I really am quite disgusted with the current state of the G&P. Where did vVintage's gallery go? Like the 5th page, and most likely because she got nearly no comments and thus felt it useless to keep posting. vVintage was used for the sake of example, there are many others who have gone off the radar unfairly...

I really don't see where that's said. =|
Yeah, that's true, no good creative criticism at all from what I see, it's all praise, even if you suck, well if you completely suck, then that's a different story. Well, you could just get better by practicing yourself, you don't need advice, well I guess you'd be looking for advice, as to why your posting. =/
It's on the third page actually, well it was there the last time I checked.

Gummy
October 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I wanna open up another icon shop. Partner needed. D:

Misheard Whisper
October 30th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I would volunteer - I love making icons - but I'm not very good. Like, at all. :/

AtomicoExploda
October 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I wanna open up another icon shop. Partner needed. D:

I would, but I don't do icons, tags all the way. :'D
Maybe you could ask Abnegation, he started doing icon requests about a day or two ago.

scyfer
October 31st, 2009, 12:03 AM
who do i ask to make something like this (http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/atoringo/Pokemon/mot.jpg), like a sort of guy pidgeot trainer banner thing, im completely clueless in the graphics area so i need a bit of help :/

t'anks. ;)

-scyfer

Misheard Whisper
October 31st, 2009, 12:56 AM
Gijinka-things, huh? Idk anyone around here that does those . . . I'm kinda new too, though. :/

scyfer
October 31st, 2009, 12:08 PM
oh, alright, thanks anyway

Loki
October 31st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Scyfer, that's more of an art thing, not a graphics thing.
If you wanted a banner out of that, then this is the right place.
But if you wanted a pidgeot guy version of that, then you'll want to ask in the Art Gallery. ;>

And Gummy, I totally would, but you know I hate icons and requests. :(

Mr. Avocado
October 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
I'm gonna start making icons soon. I know how, but I'm just gonna show you some of my work first!

Misheard Whisper
October 31st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I just started making icons, actually. Is it OK to open a separate thread for an icon shop? I already have my banner gallery, but I wanted to open an icon shop independently. Would that be kosher, or would I have to fiddle around and merge it into my original thread?

Gummy
October 31st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Having your shop separate from your gallery is perfectly fine.

Misheard Whisper
October 31st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Excellent, thank you. I'll open that once I have a few more examples, then! :3

scyfer
November 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
oh, right, thanks loki ^^'

Soul Eater
November 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know any other places for avatars? Digik.net was hacked... I think or something. LJ hasn't been very good to me lately... so does anyone know?

Gummy
November 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
You look like a Kingdom Hearts fan, so KHinsider?

Soul Eater
November 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Well, I was thinking like anime in general. XD Unless KHinsider has Organization 13 avatars.

Gummy
November 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Only place I find good Org XIII icons is... LJ :o

Sakari
November 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
Well, I was thinking like anime in general. XD Unless KHinsider has Organization 13 avatars.

Well live journal is the best place to find epic icons. Here (http://community.livejournal.com/kh_elite) here (http://community.livejournal.com/kh_iconawards/) and here (http://community.livejournal.com/kh_icons), are some great kindom heart icons on live journal, just remember to give credit if stated.

Edit: Also gummybearz, I would love to be a worker in your icon shop <3.

Gummy
November 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Ooh, those are good. Definitely raiding the first. ^^

Aurafire
December 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Uh, guess I'll try to bring this thread back to life a little o.o

I'm currently downloading Photoshop CS4, and I was wondering if it's going to be a big transition from using Gimp for about a year. I'm hoping I won't have to relearn to many of the tools ;x

Solo_Kid
December 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I've been having real trouble making sigs. I don't seem to have any ideas at all. =/

Gummy
December 20th, 2009, 08:24 AM
When I'm down on inspiration, I usually go through lots of galleries and see what techniques other people use. If that fails, I just read loads of tutorials.

patch.
December 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Guys, someone explain what an icon actually is, as from what I get, it's a 100x100 cut from an image and then two/three other cuts of the same/similar images placed together.

I don't see what's hard about it. ._.

Gummy
December 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
There is no definite definition for an icon, but in general it's a 100x100 image. Everything else in your perception of an icon is really just extra.

Comic Tragedy
December 20th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Gummy is right. And btw, omfg teenage mutant ninja squirtles. Infinitely win, where oh where did you find that stock?

Gummy
December 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
http://trainerbam.deviantart.com/art/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Squirtles-54012264

But there is a watermark. :o

patch.
December 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM
There is no definite definition for an icon, but in general it's a 100x100 image. Everything else in your perception of an icon is really just extra.

Fair enough. I'll help you with a shop if you want, as I might as well try something new.

Gummy
December 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Oh, I'm done with shops. I can never commit. :[

Dukey
December 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Shops are too much hassle, if I feel like it I'll just be like vV and take 5 or so requests every now and then.

Solo_Kid
December 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
;o

Ooo, request. I could use some of them. Might help me get back into the stride of making signatures.

Dukey
December 20th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Requests are the best thing to do at first, they help you experiment styles.

patch.
December 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Fair enough; I can agree with that. >-<

Solo_Kid
December 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM
So where do you guys get all your resources from? I struggle to find half decent renders.

Dukey
December 22nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Planet Renders for my renders, and various stock buckets on PR for stocks.
Practically everything comes from PR xD

Sakari
December 22nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
So where do you guys get all your resources from? I struggle to find half decent renders.

Planet renders is a pretty good place, sometimes deviant art has some good one's as well.

Dukey
December 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
DeviantART is good, though get's a tad artsy fartsy for looking for stocks imo :/

Sakari
December 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
DeviantART is good, though get's a tad artsy fartsy for looking for stocks imo :/

I agree with you there, does anyone know where you can find some good tag tutorials other then the one's on DeviantART?

Solo_Kid
December 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
GIMPtalk is a pretty good forum for tutorials but it's only really helpful for those who use GIMP. =/

Misheard Whisper
December 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Photobucket has a few decent resources, surprisingly. I've found a bunch of renders there that aren't on PR.

Loki
December 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
PR has great tutorials, but most of them link to dA.
There are some that don't though, so it's worth a look.

Pretty much any good graphics-based community will have loads of great tutorials to offer.

Dukey
December 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
It being a decently big one helps too, what with there being a lot more members to post and all.

Hey guys, Shiro gave me the idea to start up GAME again, what do you think? xD

Sakari
December 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
It being a decently big one helps too, what with there being a lot more members to post and all.

Hey guys, Shiro gave me the idea to start up GAME again, what do you think? xD

I have no idea what GAME stands for, what does it stand for?

Dukey
December 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Graphics are my Everything xD

Sakari
December 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Graphics are my Everything xD

I'm such a n00b, well I agree you should start it again.

Misheard Whisper
December 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Whatever it is, it sounds like fun.

Loki
December 22nd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Actually, Useless was asking me about GAME just yesterday.
I'm down if you want to restart.
I'm sure he is too. xD

Drop me a message or something on msn if you do.

Gummy
December 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
I'm GAME for a revival
/shot for bad pun

Misheard Whisper
December 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I was going to say that, but I, uh, thought better of it. XD

Dukey
December 22nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Next time my Glajum and my Lokis Flower are on we'll restart, ohey what do you know, Gummy just signed in xD

Gummy
December 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
My GAME senses were tingling.

Loki
December 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
*shoots gummy*
Pew pew~!
Once is bad, but twice? xDDD
You're losing your GAME dude. :C

I'm going to go die in a hole now. xD

Dukey
December 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Might have to make a thread on there especially for GAME puns.

Comic Tragedy
December 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Oh god, Dukey I'm so GAME to help. I could help pay for a host...
If were going legit that is.

Dukey
December 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Lmao, help pay?
You'd be paying all of it xD
Atm we're going to be running IPBfree.

Sakari
December 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
Lmao, help pay?
You'd be paying all of it xD
Atm we're going to be running IPBfree.

I would pitch in to x3 I think you should run MyBB, it's up to you though.

Dukey
December 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM
If it ended up being worth paying for, I'd probably want to run vBulletin.

Comic Tragedy
December 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
If it ended up being worth paying for, I'd probably want to run vBulletin.

No I think he means you should use MyBB instead of IPBFree for a forum. But IPB is just really easy to set up, so thats fun. ;D
But yeah, actually using money on this is idiotic until it gets consistent traffic (considering how it just died last time).

CoLiN!
December 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Is there any way to post some of my work before I hit 15 posts? And What do you guys use for Signatures?

Loki
December 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Nope. You just gotta get 15 posts.
It's not that hard, really. :C

Dukey
December 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
As in what program?
Most of us use photoshop.

CoLiN!
December 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ok, I use photoshop too. And secondly, I was going through the tutorial topic and most of the ones about gradients didn't have a direct link. I want to know where to get good gradients, not just colors in them.

Gummy
January 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=204871

I might have started a trend. :)

THIRTY-SIX
January 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Least we forget the person who put icons into signatures first.

mew²
January 15th, 2010, 03:22 AM
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu100/CBACS/LayneRIPWouldAnimation.gif

Can someone give me a tutorial or a little help on how to make signatures like this?

THIRTY-SIX
January 15th, 2010, 03:58 AM
The way I know is open up a movie file, one quicktime can open, in Photoshop/Imageready. Select frames wanted within the file. Resize image and then canvas. And ad your background and other stuff.

mew²
January 16th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Just got Photoshop CS4, and I am in love :D
Kicking MS Paint to the street soon >_>
Thanks for the info 36.

cyan.
January 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Anyone know any good places to get some good light stocks? (:

Dukey
January 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
deviantART is always worth searching for resources.

Sakari
January 16th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Anyone know any good places to get some good light stocks? (:

Photobucket is pretty good also DA as ramen! answered, you can also go on a gfx forum and find "stock buckets"

Dukey
January 16th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't reccommend Photobucket, as most of the stuff on there is people's personal things, hell if I'd made a C4D and had it uploaded on there then found out somebody was using it without me knowing, I'd be pretty pissed.

moments.
January 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Dukey I think what Sakari meant was, when people create a photobucket account and fill it with resources and stocks from packs and google etc and then give out the username and password so others can access them. They aren't their personal photobucket account, they are like a storage for resources/stocks so they have them separate from their work and altogether not hogging room on their hard drives.

Dukey
January 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM
She referred to that basic idea seperately though, just randomly searching for C4D's on there isn't a great idea.

moments.
January 16th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Very true, however, if you are going to look on Deviantart for resources, the same rule applies. Only use resources that say you have permission to use (in a stock pack for download etc.)

Dukey
January 16th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Exactly, see atleast you can check whether you're allowed to use it there, with Photobucket most of the time you can't be sure.

Angela
January 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
So whats up guys?

Photoshop has been acting up on me.. I think I might have to reinstall it.. :/

Or does anything they can help me.. ? I mean when I make a new layer then I go back to the old layer and want to edit it then I can't.. I can't do anything to it..

Aizuke
February 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Do you have the layers locked?

Or when you edit the old layers, it gives you a error?

Angela
February 9th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Do you have the layers locked?

Or when you edit the old layers, it gives you a error?

It just gave me a error messages, anyway that was a while ago, I reinstalled it and it's working ok now. :D

Edin
February 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hello everyone. I joined not too long ago... Well, I forget the exact day I joined (I'll find out after I post this), but it has been at least a month. Despite this, I still feel as if I haven't found my niche. I really want to belong somewhere, and because I really enjoy making graphics I think this just might be my best fit.

I make the kind of graphics you'd find on LJ: icons, banners, textures, et cetera. I recently got into coloring manga as well.

If you want, you can call me ethe (preferably stylised that way), Edin, or Taikun.
I know I shouldn't have so many names, but I just can't decide which one I like best.

Angela
February 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Edin sounds ok to me.. :D So have you posted a gallery yet? :D

Edin
February 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Edin sounds ok to me.. :D So have you posted a gallery yet? :D

No, not yet. But I will soon. :D
With exception of the ONE manga page I've colored, I don't have anything special. Everything else is your typical, over-selective colored LJ graphic.

It sounds like you have a gallery, so I'll go look for it now and check out your stuff.

Aizuke
February 13th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Don't forget that if you make a gallery, it has to be 4 or more examples, otherwise your gallery will be locked. :x

Angela
February 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
No, not yet. But I will soon. :D
With exception of the ONE manga page I've colored, I don't have anything special. Everything else is your typical, over-selective colored LJ graphic.

It sounds like you have a gallery, so I'll go look for it now and check out your stuff.
Oh I see, yeah I have a gallery, tho no one ever comments in there.. :D

Don't forget that if you make a gallery, it has to be 4 or more examples, otherwise your gallery will be locked. :x

^What Aizuke said, and you can also make a gallery of photographs.. :D

I'm really pissed at my computer, was making a really cool smudges banner, IMO the best smudging I've done.. Anyway the stupid computer goes all black and when I tried to turn it on I couldn't, then when I could after it had cooled down it had to like fix the start up something.. I'm not sure what happened.. Anyway lost that banner and I'm doing a full virus scan.. ;;

Hybrid Trainer
February 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM
ive seen a lot of pretty good signitures and have been inspired by them (mostly the Mods new trainer theme thing), and wanted to create a better signiture for myself. so i ask you the question,
What makes a good signiture and how do i achieve makeing one?

Virtual Chatot
February 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Proper spelling

Good organization, inclusion of CSS, a general color scheme.

Spherical Ice
February 15th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Simplicity; eye-appealing graphics; useful links, etc.

Or collaborations. Like this one. :P

The Cynic
February 15th, 2010, 03:35 PM
One that expresses individuality of course!

The CSS ones look cool. Just need to work out how to do it...

Sora
February 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM
There's a lot of things that can be put into making a good signature. Banners and images definitely work, as long as they aren't anything bad, or too big for the forums. Text is also nice as well, but too much text tends to make a signature tl;dr.

Organization is also a good idea, as an unorganized sig make it not that great to look at. XD

Most importantly though, it how you want to express yourself, your love for something, or anything of the sort. c: CSS isn't needed, as I've seen good themes without the use of CSS. CSS does make the signature look cleaner and more organized though.

Hybrid Trainer
February 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
thanks guys, i have wanted to have a css sig but i dont understand the tutorials in the css Help and Request section, so could andybody help?

Plus can somone explain what the whole hg/ss pokemon trainer style is about?

Aizuke
February 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Well, when I make my themes or signatures, I try to look for images that appeal to me and I would assume appeals to other people. I also make my own signatures, so a bit of graphics knowledge comes in handy. And yeah organisation helps too, you don't want your signature to be miss-matched, or it looks untidy.

Collabs do tend to catch people's eyes, but if you're looking for something unique I wouldn't say to join a collab for obvious reasons. As for images, try to get something colour, or will stand out and what you think will appeal to people. Also the quality of the image is important too. And the size, try not to get something too small, or something overly large and obnoxious. Although you can be sucessful with just text signatures with the help of CSS, but of course you'll need to know CSS to actually construst said siganture.

Just make sure when you're making your signature, keep in mind that if you want to please others, you'll need to think like someone else. Even though your signature is your own, but if you think it's offensive to some people or it'll scare people, I would say it's not much of a crowd pleaser. Signatures may look like something so simple, but you need a sense of style and design to create one that will amaze and dazzle others.

Edit; the Trainer collabs, if you want the CSS for it, you'll need to PM whoever has those sigs for the actually coding and ask if they'll explain it to you in the process. But if not here's the coding I did for someone else who needed help.

http://i45.tinypic.com/21kbev7.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/ev1e37.png http://i49.tinypic.com/167qvqc.png
~ Falkner (ハヤト Hayato)
~ Violet City Gym Leader
~ Holder of Feather Badge
~ Staraptor Lv. 50 Noctowl Lv.52 Swellow Lv.52
~ Honchkrow Lv.54 Pelipper Lv.48 Pidgeot Lv. 56

http://i45.tinypic.com/21kbev7.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/ev1e37.png http://i49.tinypic.com/167qvqc.png
~ Falkner (ハヤト Hayato)
~ Violet City Gym Leader
~ Holder of Feather Badge
~ Staraptor Lv. 50 Noctowl Lv.52 Swellow Lv.52
~ Honchkrow Lv.54 Pelipper Lv.48 Pidgeot Lv. 56

abnegation
February 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Took me some time to see how this fit here if it does at all
But making a good signature, for me just means having it reflect you as the person/member. I tend to use a lot of CSS in my signatures to make it look that bit different from others' as it can add a lot of originality. Thing is with CSS, it can start a trend easily and others begin to do the same. So it's best just to have a neat signature, that has all you need and is appealing to the eye. Having coding in a signature seems to be a desire for a lot of people, and it can make a signature that much better but still, simplicity and maybe some graphics can look well too. It's all down to your taste. From a design point of view, good graphics utilizing necssary coding always casts good effects.

thanks guys, i have wanted to have a css sig but i dont understand the tutorials in the css Help and Request section, so could andybody help?

The CSS help thread links to tutorials that couldn't simplify the learning any more than it already is.

Daeva Okami-Luca
February 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Don't have a GIF with a video of someone swearing. That's a good thing to remember.

Probably shouldn't have done it

donavannj
February 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM
In my opinion, finding a way to make it so all the "I Support" banners for hacks that you have in your signature are one animated image that cycles through all of them, and then using title tags for your friend codes, would de-clutter your signature greatly.

Amachi
February 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
What makes a good signature is not ripping off the signatures of others. Collabs are different, everyone involved knows the other people and it's nice to share things with friends. But people who just steal the signatures of others? Lame.

.Bullet
February 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I for one tend to like being able to interact with one's signature. A scrolling affect is always a nice touch, or some [title]'s.

Although, to answer the general question: Style, Simplicity, and Originality are what it boils down to.

.Gamer
February 15th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Jumpluff makes every sig better.

I always include a picture I made (regardless of how bad it is) because it feels like I put effort into my sig. I also like small text.

Yuoaman
February 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Well, when I make my themes or signatures, I try to look for images that appeal to me and I would assume appeals to other people. I also make my own signatures, so a bit of graphics knowledge comes in handy. And yeah organisation helps too, you don't want your signature to be miss-matched, or it looks untidy...etc...

Thanks for the help in setting up my signature, Aizuke. :P

This is actually the first signature I've ever had that I actually put work into, so I can't be much help. :\

Adding a little bit of whaleyness never hurts, though.

Zet
February 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
This really doesn't belong in webmasters since it is graphic related and what not

*moves*

aquadan
February 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Simple Text Editing Can make it look MUCH better: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/4f/120Staryu.png
Friend Codes
Pokémon Platinum - 0517 8459 2048
Animal Crossing Wild World - 2106-9983-7742
My Trade Thread
Link (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5496438)
I Support
Pokémon Nebula Link (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=194127)
Pokémon Garnet Link (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=197142)
Pokémon AncientEmerald Link (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=183717)
Pokémon BrightGold Link (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137410)

Unforgettable
February 16th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I like simple stuff. But really, your signature expresses you. So who cares if it's good or not to others, as long as you like it :3

Galukxy
February 16th, 2010, 12:08 AM
a nice, simple banner with a bit of text or title tag thingys usually catches my eye ;)

Hybrid Trainer
February 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM
quick question, how do people do that thing where if you place your cursor over the image or text it turns into the info cursor and says something? like in sspokemons sig

.Gamer
February 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
quick question, how do people do that thing where if you place your cursor over the image or text it turns into the info cursor and says something? like in sspokemons sig

[~title=<insert you want the rollover to say>] Whatever text you want to be here [~/title]

something in here

just take out the "~"

Hybrid Trainer
February 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Yea thats what i meant thanks gamer691

plus what about my new sig/avatar.

and don't worry mods, its just a temp one

Angela
February 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM
[~title=<insert you want the rollover to say>] Whatever text you want to be here [~/title]

something in here

just take out the "~"

Oh that's really helpful.. :D

Do you know how people add like songs to their signatures?

Dukey
February 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
There was a thread about that when the announcement was made, it's in Community Questions & Answers somewhere.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=168177
There you go.

Angela
February 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
There was a thread about that when the announcement was made, it's in Community Questions & Answers somewhere.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=168177
There you go.

Oh thank you. :D <3

I'm gonna add bad Romance to my signature, to go with my Gaga icons. :3

Aizuke
February 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM
You'll need to upload the music, just so you know.

I use this place; http://www.upload-mp3.com/

Angela
March 23rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
You'll need to upload the music, just so you know.

I use this place; http://www.upload-mp3.com/

Wow it took me a long time to see this.. :/

Anyway thank you so much =D

I know what song I'm gonna add to go with my new theme if I get it that is.. :D

*Firestar*
April 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Since I'm really interested in Graphics, and can't for the life of me find any good ones, I'll ask.

Where can you find decent, c4d's (the part of a tag/icon that makes it look 3D I believe) for GIMP? I can't find any. Thanks!

Dukey
April 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM
C4D's aren't program specific, they're just an image that you copy & paste onto your tag, and then do what you will with it from there.
A simple search for C4D pack on deviantArt or somewhere like that should find you some.

cammeron12
April 26th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I am in love with graphics & photography...
Graphics in this forum are much pretty...

abnegation
April 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Since I'm really interested in Graphics, and can't for the life of me find any good ones, I'll ask.

Where can you find decent, c4d's (the part of a tag/icon that makes it look 3D I believe) for GIMP? I can't find any. Thanks!

Well C4D's are found all over but I would recommend PlanetRender. They don't make the image look 3D but they do add some pretty cool effects. To add to that however, they're best used in photoshop. Gimp is pretty weak with them, in fact, gimp is weak in general compared to PS.

eric402
May 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Does Anyone Know any good gimp brushes??\
Please Tell me If you find some really cool and uniqe gimp brushes..
I need some more.

Galukxy
May 24th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Does Anyone Know any good gimp brushes??\
Please Tell me If you find some really cool and uniqe gimp brushes..
I need some more.
You'll need to upload them into gimp once you've saved them.
I used this site to get my brushes for gimp:http://free-brushes.com/gimp/
there quite pretty some of them as well.

(http://free-brushes.com/gimp/)

PureGoober
May 24th, 2010, 11:46 AM
What is the opacity of a banner? :(
I keep seeing it, idk what it is

Negative-Zero
May 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM
i make mine 500x300, but it can be smaller than that.

deva
May 31st, 2010, 06:54 AM
What is the opacity of a banner? :(
I keep seeing it, idk what it is

The opacity hmm, you'll have to ask someone who made the banner as they still may have the PSD.

moments.
May 31st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Opacity is how transparent something is basically.
100% Opaque means you cannot see through it at all, while 0% means you can see completely through it.

Galukxy
June 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM
Opacity is how transparent something is basically.
100% Opaque means you cannot see through it at all, while 0% means you can see completely through it.

I always thought 100% Opacity allows you to see it and 0% Opacity doesn't.

abnegation
June 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM
To clear this up, in photoshop you have the ability to make something at a certain percentage of opacity, so if you're working with a number of layers you may wish to make some less visible than others. I shall display an image with out any opacity, so just a normal image, and an image proceeding it with 60% opacity.
http://www.growthpop.com/wp-content/uploads/wisdom.jpg [css-span="opacity:0.6;"]http://www.growthpop.com/wp-content/uploads/wisdom.jpg[/css-span]

Normal on the left, 60% opacity on the right.

Fully invisible = 0% opacity/opaque
Fully visible = 100% opacity/opaque

WriteThemWrong
June 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
what i want to know is what "fill" is. that other thing below opacity that seemingly does the same thing as opacity

Konekodemon
June 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Anyone here fermiller with the Inu-Yasha anime? Well, I went and edited a Sesshômaru pic making him smile. Awww! He looks so sweet. Sesshy really should smile like this on the anime:
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5585/sesshysmiling.jpg

SUTANRII
June 24th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Reminds me of "Gin" from the Bleach anime.

Just wondering if anyone had a nice link to a pack of brushes (and/or) C4Ds. I can't find a good one for the life of me.

abnegation
June 25th, 2010, 04:46 PM
C4D's (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=C4D%27s) - though I'll be making a resourse with a bigger list soon.
Brushes (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=brushes) - same as above.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 17th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I just have one small stupid question:
Whats the difference between stocks and renders? I seem to have forgotten :[

moments.
July 17th, 2010, 07:03 AM
A render is an image with a transparent background while a stock is like a photo and has a background and everything.

Basically, a render is a cut out shape like a character cut from a wallpaper or something.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 17th, 2010, 07:04 AM
A render is an image with a transparent background while a stock is like a photo and has a background and everything.

Basically, a render is a cut out shape like a character cut from a wallpaper or something.
Ah, okay I understand now ><
I need to learn how to use stocks in my graphics now XD

moments.
July 17th, 2010, 07:16 AM
When you are using stocks, generally you need to stack things because you can't place things underneath, so generally a good way to start is to get some textures/light textures/bokeh and put them on like 'lighten' and stuff and stack them on top.

Yep.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 17th, 2010, 07:24 AM
When you are using stocks, generally you need to stack things because you can't place things underneath, so generally a good way to start is to get some textures/light textures/bokeh and put them on like 'lighten' and stuff and stack them on top.

Yep.
Thats going to be kind of challenging for me XD
I'll stick with renders right now.

moments.
July 17th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Fairs enoughs, renders can be cool cause you have more freedom I guess in terms of what sort of effects or whatever you want.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 17th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Fairs enoughs, renders can be cool cause you have more freedom I guess in terms of what sort of effects or whatever you want.
Yup, its easier for me.
Oh, and does anyone know a good place to download brushes, effects and other stuff like that? All my art stuff was on my old computer D;

moments.
July 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Deviantart.com has heaps of resources, just search for whatever you want and you'll find stuff.

abnegation
July 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM
DA is the best place to go but a pro's advice would be "Don't rely on brushes to make your effects etc.". So be careful, you should try out some graphic communities such as Planet Render and FringeFX too.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 17th, 2010, 07:49 AM
DA is the best place to go but a pro's advice would be "Don't rely on brushes to make your effects etc.". So be careful, you should try out some graphic communities such as Planet Render and FringeFX too.
I'll try FringeFX since I know Planet Render. ^^

abnegation
July 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Well PR doesn't only have renders, they have a nice resource section on the forum too. It's perfectly fine if you discuss those communities here though so don't worry about the forum linking thing, just don't link unless it's completely necessary and useful. In any case, try them, download some packs, take some tutorials and get going. I'm working on a little something for beginners through to advanced members atm which will be finished when I'm not lazy :3

Naruto Uzumaki
July 17th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Well PR doesn't only have renders, they have a nice resource section on the forum too. It's perfectly fine if you discuss those communities here though so don't worry about the forum linking thing, just don't link unless it's completely necessary and useful. In any case, try them, download some packs, take some tutorials and get going. I'm working on a little something for beginners through to advanced members atm which will be finished when I'm not lazy :3
Oh, I guess I'll check it out then XD

Sounds interesting :3

AtomicoExploda
July 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
As well as Deviantart, Planet Render and FringeFX, you should go to animerender.com it has some really good resources too and is my personal favorite place for renders.

abnegation
July 18th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Would anyone be interested in seeing/starting one of these (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4707485#post4707485) again? Of course it would require a lot of updating but I would be offering my help, I just don't have the time to run it myself, alone. I think it was a useful thread and whoever would be willing to take it on would have a nice sticky thread :3

Naruto Uzumaki
July 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Would anyone be interested in seeing/starting one of these (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4707485#post4707485) again? Of course it would require a lot of updating but I would be offering my help, I just don't have the time to run it myself, alone. I think it was a useful thread and whoever would be willing to take it on would have a nice sticky thread :3
Thats a good idea, I might be able to do it :3

Zebra Thunderhead
July 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
SINCE I NO LONGER HAVE A JOB, I wouldn't mind helping out around here.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM
SINCE I NO LONGER HAVE A JOB, I wouldn't mind helping out around here.
CME can take it.

I won't be on that much during school time anyway. :3

Zebra Thunderhead
July 18th, 2010, 01:19 PM
hahaha, sounds good then. I can get started on it tonight, most likely.

abnegation
July 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Much appreciated CME. Really, I shall add you on PC from which you can find my MSN for easier accesability.
Seriously though MEGA MEGA <33333's. Also appreciate your offer Char' :]

Zebra Thunderhead
July 20th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'll start on it today, I promise ;_;

Naruto Uzumaki
July 21st, 2010, 06:23 AM
I have a smallish question, is Photoshop easier to use then Gimp?
I've used Gimp for 2 years now and its fairly easy, but I'm thinking of downloading Photoshop.

Zebra Thunderhead
July 21st, 2010, 06:51 AM
Photoshop is pretty much the cream of the crop for digital stuff and it's pretty user friendly. But I mean, everything is going to be difficult to learn when you're switching from another program. I remember using GIMP once after using Photoshop for a while and being confused out of my mind. But yeah, I definitely think Photoshop is worth the download since it has a lot more capabilities than GIMP.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 21st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Photoshop is pretty much the cream of the crop for digital stuff and it's pretty user friendly. But I mean, everything is going to be difficult to learn when you're switching from another program. I remember using GIMP once after using Photoshop for a while and being confused out of my mind. But yeah, I definitely think Photoshop is worth the download since it has a lot more capabilities than GIMP.
Is there a way to download Photoshop free? Or does it cost money?

Zebra Thunderhead
July 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
You can download a 30 day free trial but after that, how you get the full version is up to you. There are a few methods though..

Pandamore
July 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Portable versions of PS or any adobe product for that matter is free, but illegal. Most artists don't buy the product through to tell you the truth

Naruto Uzumaki
July 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Oh, don't you need to create an account on the site to download the trial version?

And does anyone know how to do a clipping mask in Gimp? I tried following a tut but I got lost in it @_@

Pandamore
July 21st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Well you don't download the trial, just search "photoshop portableappz" and portableappz.com has the new PS CS5 extended version for download. There's no virus's from that site, idk wherever else

Naruto Uzumaki
July 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Well you don't download the trial, just search "photoshop portableappz" and portableappz.com has the new PS CS5 extended version for download. There's no virus's from that site, idk wherever else
Oh, ok thanks! :D
I'll download that as soon as I get back from vacation :3

*Firestar*
July 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Right. I have decided that Tags aren't really my thing, and wanted to go for Icons, but I don't know the process that goes into an Icon. Could somebody please help me? Thanks!

abnegation
July 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Right. I have decided that Tags aren't really my thing, and wanted to go for Icons, but I don't know the process that goes into an Icon. Could somebody please help me? Thanks!

Icons are 100x100 images that are meant to be instantly eye catching and full of pleasing colour. However, it is up to the artist, where you start and where you go to is at your jurisdiction. My best advice to you would be to keep your icons clear, clean and simple. Icons that are too busy aren't very pleasing. In saying that, it doesn't mean that you make them with little effort, being simplistic does not mean you're going to be making something with ease.

There are some tutorials here:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=226684

Comic Tragedy
August 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I posted a gradient tutorial in the resources thread! I hope it helps some people.

Amore
August 25th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Ummm....any guides to GIMP out there?

Because I can't seem to find a one simple enough for me :P

I'm really not that good with instructions. I can follow them, but struggle to put them into practice.

Comic Tragedy
August 25th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Amore, looooong ago before I was graced with the awesomeness of photoshop I too used GIMP. And I can tell you now that a great place to find simple to advanced tutorials, instructions and just a community is gimptalk.com.

PS. I would provide a link to their forums but its against the rules! :>

Swift!
September 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Could someone please tell me what's wrong with my laptop?

I sent it away because the screen needed to be replaced and now whenever I save a file as a png it makes it look terrible.

Here's an example.

Original Pic
http://imgtops.sourceforge.net/bakeoff/o-png24.png

After I've saved it as a png.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/Kevmysta/Untitled.png

The image editing program I use it Paint.NET.

abnegation
September 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
You could try saving it as a high quality .jpeg, it's a good format for photos. Don't know much about Paint.Net, so I can't help you too much there, but try the latter and see how it goes for you.

moments.
September 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
If you are uploading to the internet, .png will always be higher quality because they are smaller files and they don't need to be compressed or anything like that (or whatever the internet does to photos upon uploading)

Swift!
September 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Let me just say, it never did this before. I used to save all of my images as png files and they always looked perfect, but since I got my laptop back... well. Could it be a setting on my computer that they changed while they were fixing it? After all, they did replace the screen.

Zebra Thunderhead
September 4th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Our graphic design department at school upgraded to CS5 over the summer, can't wait to start using it.

Comic Tragedy
September 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Exciting stuff. I watched all of the CS5 videos on their site. Once you get past the obvious self hype adobe puts in their videos, you can really tell the new CS is amazing.

Naruto Uzumaki
September 5th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Any tuts on making icons with Gimp? :3

Comic Tragedy
September 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I never really understood the point of icon tutorials. Every image looks good with different positioning, effects, and color with icons. I mean its just my opinion, but I think you should just experiment.

If you don't feel like it I'm sure a quick google search will get you some results.

abnegation
October 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Doing some tidying up, so we'll be saying goodbye to the old Lounge, and awaiting the new! Which in fact, will take about 3 seconds as I've already made it. ANYWAY, closing this one.

[css-span="margin: 0pt; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 11px; font-weight: normal; background-image: url("http://i31.tinypic.com/ix9fk5.gif");width: 130px; letter-spacing: 2px;"]= L o c k e d =[/css-span]