PDA

View Full Version : Evangelion 1.0

icomeanon6
September 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I just got back from watching the English version of Evangelion 1.0, and what follows will be me gushing about it:

It was amazing. It was like they took the original and fixed all of the annoying problems that it had. The artwork and sound design were spectacular, and the English vocal performances were tremendously improved.

Any other thoughts on the movie?

Vernikova
September 12th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Is it out on DVD or something?

icomeanon6
September 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Is it out on DVD or something?
Not yet, but will be come November. I was fortunate enough to be able to see it in a theater.

DestinyBender
September 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evangelion... isn't that a song sung by Rammstein & Tatu?

~DB

T3h Kaiser
September 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evangelion... isn't that a song sung by Rammstein & Tatu?

~DB

I don't recall Rammstein and Tatu ever doing anything together, no matter how many YouTube videos claim it to be so. Perhaps you're thinking of the Rammstein song "Engel".

I saw Evangelion 1.0 awhile back, subbed. NGE is one of the few series I'd watch dubbed, though, so I may go back and watch it again whenever they release it on DVD.

I personally really enjoyed the fantastic animation, but was a bit disappointed with everything else. I felt that the rushed pace of movies sort of hurt the emotional impact of the show. Didn't really matter a whole lot to me, though, since I've already seen the show so much; the new film was a nice supplement.

Vernikova
September 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Do you know how long it will be in theaters or is it one-night only?

icomeanon6
September 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Do you know how long it will be in theaters or is it one-night only?
It depends on where you live. They're showing it on different dates for different theaters, and some are holding on to it for longer than others. Here's a link (http://www.funimationfilms.com/events.html) to the showings. If you have a chance to see it in a theater, I highly recommend it.

I personally really enjoyed the fantastic animation, but was a bit disappointed with everything else. I felt that the rushed pace of movies sort of hurt the emotional impact of the show. Didn't really matter a whole lot to me, though, since I've already seen the show so much; the new film was a nice supplement.For a movie, I didn't think it was rushed at all. For someone who hasn't seem the original, it would probably feel appropriately slow.

Also, I totally disagree on the emotional impact factor. I don't know if you saw it in English or Japanese, but the new dub is definitely the best version for English speakers as far as the successful conveyance of emotion goes. The original series' dub had several shortcomings in that regard, and you really can't pick up everything if you're watching it in a foreign language with subtitles.

I think the fact that it was shorter only made it stronger as a whole. The whole deal with Shinji leaving Misato was handled much better in the film. It really didn't deserve a whole episode, and the relatively short scene that replaced it was absolutely beautiful.

Esper
September 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
The movie was good. The animation, pacing (I thought), etc. were much improved, but since it's a retelling of the story in a much shorter time I can see how some fans might find it unappealing. I enjoyed it.

2.0, though, is flat out better in all areas. It's the one that will really knock your socks off.

JP
September 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Not yet, but will be come November. I was fortunate enough to be able to see it in a theater.

Lucky bastard! I wanted to see it in theaters so badly, wasn't anywhere near where I live though. I'm so pumped for this release. I saw a preorder option available at F.Y.E., so I'm probably gonna do that in the next few days. I'm kinda hopping 2.0 doesn't take as long as 1.0 to be released over this way though. The wait is simply killing me.

Graceful
September 13th, 2009, 01:33 AM
..Wait....I remember something in the Japanese version. Doesn't Utada Hikaru Sing the Theme tune for it? #_#

JP
September 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
..Wait....I remember something in the Japanese version. Doesn't Utada Hikaru Sing the Theme tune for it? #_#
Yeah, Beautiful World. That and she did a remix of Fly Me to the Moon. Both great tracks. :P Pretty much the only tracks I listen to from her. :knockedou

Graceful
September 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Yeah, Beautiful World. That and she did a remix of Fly Me to the Moon. Both great tracks. :P Pretty much the only tracks I listen to from her. :knockedou
And this year[in the new one] isn't it 'Beautiful World PlantiB Acoustic'?

JP
September 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
And this year[in the new one] isn't it 'Beautiful World PlantiB Acoustic'?

Yep, that as well. Haven't listened much to that one though, sadly.

Giraffles <3
September 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Saw it subbed in Japanese a long time ago, just recently saw 2.0 as well. I can't stand it in English, I just don't think the English voice actors can match the Japanese ones. But still it is a very good movie :3.

kohei
September 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
If you thought 1.0 was awesome, 2.0 will make your head explode, trust me.
Also Mari is cute.

Aurajade
September 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Evangelion rocks.
I Like the death and Rebirth movies.