PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Blogs...

Mr. Avocado
September 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I'm suggesting that people who have made 4000+ posts should be able to make a blog. Though, for normal members, if someone wants to make a blog and have 4000+, they need permission from a Mod or a higher ranker in order to make it. For supporters with 4000+ posts, they dont need permission.

Because loads of members want to make blogs and it would make more people happier!

Banjora Marxvile
September 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I'm suggesting that people who have made 1000+ posts should be able to make a blog. Though, for normal members, if someone wants to make a blog and have 1000+, they need permission from a Mod or a higher ranker in order to make it. For supporters with 1000+ posts, they dont need permission.

Because loads of members want to make blogs and it would make more people happier!

But there is already a post limit of 5000 which I think is fair. Shows your dedication and how sad you are, and 1000 is easier to get, so more blogs and spammier ones too. 5000 is fair to me, as well as Supporter opportunity.

Mr. Avocado
September 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
But with permission from a higher up?

Zorua
September 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Well here's the thing:

Really active members of PC have over 5,000 posts. This is to ensure that the staff don't issue a blog to a member with 1,000 posts for nothing(then he leaves/disappears the next day).

About the staff thing, you have to be chosen to have a blog in that area.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
September 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I think 1000 is a BIT low, but 5000 is probably a tad high. Maybe 3000?

Mr. Avocado
September 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Fine, 3000 then? If thats reasonable?

Zorua
September 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Fine, 3000 then? If thats reasonable?

If there's any chance of it lowering, the most preferable would be 4,000.

As I said, it's to ensure activity.

Mr. Avocado
September 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I guess thats true, but that means you can make one then with the 5000 post rule?

Lilith
September 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I think 1000 is a BIT low, but 5000 is probably a tad high. Maybe 3000?

I agree with this; 5000 is quite high. However, it is not that hard to get 5K posts if you just spam the Daily Chit Chat. -hint hint-

There are a select few who were granted blogs with a mod's permission, but the blog was used for information purposes, not about life.

Zorua
September 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I guess thats true, but that means you can make one then with the 5000 post rule?

Yes. I'm not sure whether the system is automatically turned on for those who have 5,000 postcount or over, or the fact that you have to ask h-staff to enable them for you.

Gumball Watterson
September 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Look the staff set the limit for a reason. Blogs are there only for the members dedicated to PC. Which is donating 10$+ or having 5,000 posts. If you don't like it Bulbagarden gives them out by default.

Mr. Avocado
September 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Look the staff set the limit for a reason. Blogs are there only for the members dedicated to PC. Which is donating 10$+ or having 5,000 posts. If you don't like it Bulbagarden gives them out by default.I was just asking, you dont need refer me to a worse site

Captain Hobo.
September 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I think it should be members with 1,000+ that would mean alot of people could posts blogs and get the blogs more popular and everyone would be happy:)

Naruto Uzumaki
September 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM
it should be kept at 5,000 posts its fair enough, if you want a blog that badly donate $10

processr
September 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Real men donate to get their blogs.

Seriously, if you want to blog so bad get a LiveJournal or something and link to it in your signature.

Mr. Avocado
September 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Real men donate to get their blogs.

Seriously, if you want to blog so bad get a LiveJournal or something and link to it in your signature.No, I dont want a blog, its for others!

Naruto Uzumaki
September 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM
well then the other people should donate $10 or make 5000 posts

.Seth
September 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
1000 is way too low.
There have been people who have gotten 1000 posts in less than a month.

I do agree 5000 is a bit high, but I think 4000 would be just as good if not better.

Mr. Avocado
September 13th, 2009, 11:14 AM
3000-4000 is reasonable, then!

Ineffable~
September 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
it should be kept at 5,000 posts its fair enough, if you want a blog that badly donate $10
This. Considering the possibility of the alternate method, getting blogs is not such a daunting task. $15 is a show of appreciation and 5000 posts is a show of activity. 1000 posts is not hard at all if you're not lazy (*points to self* xD) and you just give it some effort. It doesn't really display a large amount of activity in the forums. Look at Diglett, he's almost there already thanks to some borderline spamming~

Timbjerr
September 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I've been around PC longer than the vast majority of people here...and I only use my blog for the purposes of sporadically posting long-winded rants that would make for a terrible thread otherwise. From my experiences in Myspace and LiveJournal, I really really dislike people that make regular blog entries telling their readers the most pointless things they did during the day.

The limitations are there to ensure that the members around here that do get blogs will use them wisely and not make a post every six hours detailing their last meal by caloric content. >_>

Tyrantrum
September 14th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I personally think that 5,000+ posts is a reasonable post count for blogs. In my opinion, this lets the staff know that they're dealing with more mature members and can handle such a privilege.

Giratina55
September 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
i say 4500+ posts is fair.
to me its pretty fair, cause its almost 5000 and almost 4000, and....so ya.

Zetlian2-kinra
September 14th, 2009, 08:50 AM
You can always have a link to a blog on a different site... right?

Mr. Avocado
September 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I dont think thats allowed anyway...

But I was thinking around 4000 then?

Arcanine
September 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
What's not allowed? Linking to your blog on LJ? Or Facebook? Or whatever? Yea it's allowed.

Since all of you are wondering.... since all of you are saying "Lower it!!!111" I'll tell you why it's set to 5K.

1: At first we didn't want a flood of blog posts from n00bs about how they cut their finger while jumping on an anthill (even if that would be sort of awesome...). We wanted to keep the number small so blogs wouldn't get flooded. And I think it's still the same way today (even if there are people that blog about pointless things just to run their count up).

2: If I remember right (and don't quote me on this one) blogs costed Steve like $50 extra. So that's another reason why we wanted to keep it to a select few, people who's been here a while and active enough to get the 5K mark, the Staff, and most of all... the Supporters (and thus where 3, and the main one comes in).

3: The reason it's still at 5K, and the reason why it'll more then likely stay at 5K is donations. Like I said, if I remember right it cost to have blogs. So if we can get people to donate for that perk then it helps us out. People don't want to make 5K posts, and getting Modded is... slim to none, so they send in $10 and get blogs. If someone can't donate but still wants a blog then that's what LiveJournal is for.

Yea 5K might be high for most people (I know I'm not one to talk, seeing how I have almost 4 times that number). But it's the number the Staff picked for blogs.

Mr. Avocado
September 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Ok, then. So its sorted...practically

Alinthea
September 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM

I think it should stay at 5000, which it will.
Just because the mass want it lower, it won't happen.

Serene Grace
September 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
What's not allowed? Linking to your blog on LJ? Or Facebook? Or whatever? Yea it's allowed.

Since all of you are wondering.... since all of you are saying "Lower it!!!111" I'll tell you why it's set to 5K.

1: At first we didn't want a flood of blog posts from n00bs about how they cut their finger while jumping on an anthill (even if that would be sort of awesome...). We wanted to keep the number small so blogs wouldn't get flooded. And I think it's still the same way today (even if there are people that blog about pointless things just to run their count up).

2: If I remember right (and don't quote me on this one) blogs costed Steve like $50 extra. So that's another reason why we wanted to keep it to a select few, people who's been here a while and active enough to get the 5K mark, the Staff, and most of all... the Supporters (and thus where 3, and the main one comes in).

3: The reason it's still at 5K, and the reason why it'll more then likely stay at 5K is donations. Like I said, if I remember right it cost to have blogs. So if we can get people to donate for that perk then it helps us out. People don't want to make 5K posts, and getting Modded is... slim to none, so they send in $10 and get blogs. If someone can't donate but still wants a blog then that's what LiveJournal is for.

Yea 5K might be high for most people (I know I'm not one to talk, seeing how I have almost 4 times that number). But it's the number the Staff picked for blogs.
Just saying that the Blogs cost $30.

If you guys really want to see what happens when members get blogs on default, go check out how much spam there is on narutofan forums. It got so much that the mods don't even look at the blogs anymore, they just leave people to do whatever (pron links, random advertising and others). I am so glad that you have to have an amount of posts, donate or get staffed to have blogs. PC staff really use their common sense.

Patchisou Yutohru
September 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Why do people make a big deal out of blogs again? I'm kinda confused.

Sajuuk
September 14th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Because they feel like it shouldn't require you to pay any money but you get it by just reaching post levels. I don't know either, just my 2 cents.

@OP: Arcanine explained very well why 5k posts is perfectly fine. You'll notice a lot of high posters, but they were probably on the staff team and were allowed to have a blog regardless if they donated. But, if the staff would want to increase it further still, I'd have no objection lol XD.

Patchisou Yutohru
September 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Because they feel like it shouldn't require you to pay any money but you get it by just reaching post levels. I don't know either, just my 2 cents.
Boo hoo? I really don't know how to respond to that if that's true. Different communities, and this isn't to you Spey, so don't overreact, handle things differently. Just because one community grants you access to blog features as soon as you become a registered member doesn't mean that other communities will. PokéCommunity is basically run by the supporters. Without them, the community most likely would have died a long time ago seeing as how the only person who would pay for the community would be Steve. Seeing as how that's true, a reward should be granted for those who keep the site running.

If you want a blog, just donate for it or take the time to show that you actually care for the community by reaching the 5 K milestone. It isn't that hard of a concept to grasp. Until then, just use a different blogging site (such as LiveJournal, Wordpress, Blogger, etc.) for your blogging needs. That's usually what most of the members who have blogs here do anyway.

Seriously. They're blogs... on a Pokémon forum. No need to bite people's heads off for them. haha.

Most of the blogs are already used for spamming purposes anyway. Either that or inside jokes with other members of the community. Adding to that would grow to become annoying by allowing so many more people to have access to the feature. And those who actually deserve it may post a blog and it'll become ignored due to a stupid entry or two; as they are already.

Avey
September 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Because people semi-new to the community who don't feel close enough to it to donate and who think five thousand is an IMPOSSIBLE number to reach want to blog about how they totally bought this, like, totally awesome phone so they can, like, call and, like, text people now.

Like.

Patchisou Yutohru
September 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Because people semi-new to the community who don't feel close enough to it to donate and who think five thousand is an IMPOSSIBLE number to reach want to blog about how they totally bought this, like, totally awesome phone so they can, like, call and, like, text people now.

Like.
Well, you don't become an established member overnight... it kind of takes time to do that.

processr
September 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM

A number of fickle-minded people just want what others have for themselves. It's just a misdirected sense of envy.

Patchisou Yutohru
September 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
A number of fickle-minded people just want what others have for themselves. It's just a misdirected sense of envy.
See, that's what I don't get. Yet again,... it's a blog on a Pokémon forum. A number of more advanced blogs can be obtained by means of simply registering on LiveJournal or something. Do people really need to have a blog on PC? Is it really going to kill them not having one or something? Most of the blogs aren't used for anything important, anyway. I imagine some people want to use a blog to keep tabs on their Pokémon adventures in-game.

Some people use that already, but I'm sure that there can be a number of groups for different games (and I already know there are threads about it) where you can share your adventure to the public. I don't know about anyone else, but I find blogs relating to real life situations to be much more interesting than that of a Pokémon journey, which can be just as easily shared over a thread of some sort.

Anyway, I'm off to the park to run over small children. :>

Melody
September 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Heh. I'm a supporter. Have been since before the whole supporter system kicked in really. I seriously agree with the staff on this one, if everyone got a blog then they'd be meaningless. Just another venue for spammer n00bs to spam with. (Seriously, we've got VMs people. that's plenty of your daily spam requirement, because VMs are not strongly moderated..all PC asks is that VMs aren't flaming other members or asking for modship. xD)

That being said, I like the fact that you actually have to pay up or post up to get a blog. It means that when someone DOES post something on the blogs, it's actually most likely quality content, or informational in some way.

5k posts for a blog enabled user is quite fair. 5k posts is quite simple to reach, just follow and post in the DCC, OVP, CQ&F noob questions, and NU&W threads for about 6 months or so, you'll shoot right on up there. XD
(it's okay to post-***** a little bit as long as your posts are of a decent minimum quality)

poopnoodle
September 15th, 2009, 04:40 AM
If I were magically granted the ability to blog at what, less than 300 posts, I wouldn't be frequently/ever blogging away (like anyone really cares about anything blogs generally entail). There is a time and a place (i.e. Livejournal, Tumblr, Blogger), and I don't really care to share my emo poetry with the members of Pokecommunity

Guillermo
September 15th, 2009, 04:54 AM
The funny thing is, people complain so much about getting a blog and never end up using it. Happens all the time.

Soul Eater
September 15th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I have 7k and I hardly ever use my blog. It's usually just whatever strikes me. I prefer LJ over a PC blog because most of the stuff I talk about, I don't feel comfortable sharing with mods and stuff. So I usually keep my LJ for stuff I would share only with my best friends. D:

Anyway, I agree with Arcanine on the reason number one. A lot of n00bs would take advantage of having blogs and use them to flood those that actually take the effort to blog something really interesting. So even though 5000 post seems unfair, it is pretty reasonable since n00bs have a knack for trying to fit in to everything that goes on here on PC. *coughdailychitchatcough*

Kisaragi
September 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Patchisou, why did you ask a question and then answer it yourself? You just like to see your text, don't you?

Klippy
September 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Kisariga, why did you post with no relevance and spam this thread? You just like to see your text, don't you?

On a thread related note, if I wasn't on staff, I wouldn't have a blog. Its not a big deal. We get enough pointless entries as it is. We don't need another four hundred members to join in the blog trash.

Kisaragi
September 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Kisariga, why did you post with no relevance and spam this thread? You just like to see your text, don't you? I actually love seeing my posts. I sometimes go through my post history just to see what I've said. Sadly I don't think this is the case with Patchisou. =(

Route 18
September 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Personally, I think that 5000 posts is a bit too high, and 1000 posts is too low. Blogs are given to people when they have something to say. If you want a blog on this forum, just donate $10 or more, or gain 5000 posts. This system is to ensure that only members who deserve blogs get them. The PokeCommunity's hard drives have a limit, and it can't be maxed by endless and pointless blog entries.