PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MTV Music Awards Discussion Thread

Zero°
September 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Anyone that watched the MTV music awards can discuss their thoughts here.
I'm watching it right now, and Lady Gaga, and Pink's performences were pretty amazing. Anyways, discuss~

Lover's Kite
September 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
omg Kanye West was such a douche when Taylor Swift was accepting her award. :[

Star★Seeker
September 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
OMG! I know! Beyonce was really nice when she called Taylor onstage to have her 'moment'.

Zero°
September 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah. It was taylor's first award, and Kanye had to ruin her first moment. Luckily, Beyonce was nice enough to let Taylor have her moment.

I liked the Michael Jackson performences, man those guys can dance. It was like an exact replica of his moves.

revelp8
September 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
complete douche move by kanye west.

Loved the opening bit with janet and remembering MJ. Currently watching Lady Gaga's performance, that woman has a unique sense of fashion

BJ088
September 13th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Was Lady Gaga singing or miming? Please tell me she mimed. I don't think anyone could put up with her voice anymore LIVE.

chalk
September 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
How could it be Lady Gaga, the only HALF decent song she had was poker face!

Haza
September 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Even though I could see where Kanye was coming form because Beyonce did deserve that award, he was so wrong. I love Taylor Swift and she looked like she wanted to cry. Beyonce is so classy which is why she is my favorite artist ever. She could have absorbed her moment but gave it all to TaySwift.

Now, the performances to remember

1.P!nk - Sober
2.Lady Gaga - Paparazzi
3.Beyonce - Single Ladies(the beginning was awesome, wish she wouls have just done Sweet Dreams)

BJ088
September 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'm capped at the moment so I can't watch youtube properly. Can somebody explain what happened with the Kanye/Swift saga?

Haza
September 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Taylor Swift won the Best Female Artist Award being in the same category as Beyonce(Single Ladies) and Lady Gaga(Poker Face) with her video for You Belong with me. As she was giving her acceptance speech Kanye West comes on stage, takes the mic from her and blurts out that Beyonce had the No.1 video of all time and should have won while Taylor was just standing there. Beyonce looked stunned in the audience and later one the Best Video of the Year Award and asked Taylor Swift to com out and rightfully giver her acceptance speech. Needess to say everytime Kanyes nominations were read he was boo'd after that! XD

Klippy
September 13th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Kanye West is a scumbag. The guy doesn't deserve fame and I seriously hope his actions tonight ruin his career for good. He's a no good loser and talentless at that. :|

And Taylor Swift is just precious, so he's a totes jerk.

Haza
September 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM
It was kind of sad to see TaySwifts reaction but I could see where he was coming from with it. There were way too many talents in that category for TaySwift to win honestly but the swarm of teen girls dominate these types of polls anyway. Beyonce, Gaga, and P!nk all lost to her which is impossible otherwise. Either way, we got a show and something to talk about out of it!

TRIFORCE89
September 14th, 2009, 04:39 AM
OMG! I know! Beyonce was really nice when she called Taylor onstage to have her 'moment'.
Beyonce's a class act. Kanye's an ass and a half.

Mukkamoto
September 14th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Woah, surprised Britney scooped an award, but really proud :D
Beyonce & Kate Perry were looking hot xD

I guess the only downfall was Kanye being a prick, with his little excuse afterwards.

Lucy Lu
September 14th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I haven't seen the awards yet. I got it set to my DVR, but I been hearing that Kayne was being a total jerk to Taylor Swift. I don't know her personally, but she deserved that award! There was no reason for him to act like that! Omg, why does he do this?!! I am glad Beyonce called her up so she can do her speech. That was nice of her. But still...Kanye, Kanye, Kanye...dude, you need some help! For real! His career is definitely going down at this point! I don't think he should be allowed to go to any award event til he clean up his act! What a sore loser! I am a fan of his music. But as soon as I get 808 Heartbreak, that will be last CD I will ever get from him til he stop acting the world is around him. He deserved getting booed! It was Taylor's night and he messed it up! Dang...!

But in other words, I can't wait til I see Janet Jackson's performance! I heard she performed "Scream"! Omg...that is a great song. Michael and her did great on that song. And I will get to see "This Is It" trailer. I want to see that movie. ^^ See now I wish they made the whole award show tribute to Michael Jackson, but they didn't. I guess it is better than nothing. I am looking forward to watch it. But I think I will skip the Kanye West fiasco. Dang...

BJ088
September 14th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Taylor Swift won the Best Female Artist Award being in the same category as Beyonce(Single Ladies) and Lady Gaga(Poker Face) with her video for You Belong with me. As she was giving her acceptance speech Kanye West comes on stage, takes the mic from her and blurts out that Beyonce had the No.1 video of all time and should have won while Taylor was just standing there. Beyonce looked stunned in the audience and later one the Best Video of the Year Award and asked Taylor Swift to com out and rightfully giver her acceptance speech. Needess to say everytime Kanyes nominations were read he was boo'd after that! XD

Wow. Now that is pure arrogance.

Ageless Irony
September 14th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Muse.

/thread

RAWR ^_^
September 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Lady GaGa = Superb

Her performance was just amazing. Her vocals were great aswell. She was live, but as usual, there was a backing track, but that's no different to what Beyonce and Pink done. GaGa sang the whole song live, it's fairly evident, given the vocal arrangement/style was different.

Kanye West is a douche, pure and simple. I haven't watched it all, on the basis I'm in the UK, ergo, It hasn't aired yet. It airs in 2 hours =D!

Patchisou Yutohru
September 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Muse.

/thread
That is not what makes a thread. Please remember to follow the community rules in Other Entertainment when replying to threads and posting new ones. Posts are required to have four words and 25 characters without the use of bypassing the limit; which you clearly did. Royal Genesis, I'd expect better from you considering your track record and join day. I must say, I'm rather disappointed. You didn't even contribute to it, despite breaking the rules.

Haza
September 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Even though Beyonce usually has the best performances, I think P!nk took it this year.

Anyway, Janets was amazing too! Its my favorite song from him so it was really special to me and refreshing to see her again. It was obvious that she has gained weight since his passing but she has always gained weight fast.

Ezzo!
September 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Ew did you guys see Lady Gaga, lol she looked like I don't know what.
And omg I felt bad for Taylor Swift when Kanye did that. ;;
What a gay fish.

Demigod
September 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Kanye West was smart by doing that because he made himself free publicity. However it's still unforgivable

Ageless Irony
September 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM
k, so I'm infracted.

...Still, nobodies mentioned Muse. ,_.
(Which was awesome)

Alakazam17
September 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I saw these for a few minutes yesterday, but I didn't really pay attention. Unfortunately, all we're really talking about here(and by 'here' I mean in real life) is the incident with Kanye West being a complete idiot. Nobody is going to like him after this ordeal, Jeez.

But Beyonce did a good job at making up for it. ^^

SharpPoint
September 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I felt so proud of Jay-Z's performance about New York, I felt like crying. I live in a New York so I'm proud of that song. :)

Lil Mama failed. Although what Kanye West did wasn't right, I'll still listen to his music. =\

SBaby
September 14th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Kanye was a little punk for doing that. If MTV has any dignity left, they'll publicly denounce him and cease their business with him.

Azonic
September 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
......... I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED IT. I totally forgot. DDDDD: Luckily it's on again in a half hour. I heard about the Kanye West thing at school. Unbelievable :/ It was Taylor's very first VMA and Kanye had to just completely ruin it for her. Taylor's pretty awesome; I'll give her props for popping out of nowhere and topping charts. XD I like You Belong With Me a lot.

Anyways, I hear Gaga's performance was a bit eccentric. Makes me even more excited to watch. :U

Alpha King
September 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I thought Lady Gaga sounded really good. As well as Beyonce (bless her soul). She always performs well. :)

revelp8
September 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM
haruuuuuuu haruuuuuuuu haruuuuuuuu!!

gerard rocked the intro for muse!!

Captain Hobo.
September 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Kanye West should not have done what he did but i still love his music.

Gummy
September 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM
As much as I like Kanye's music (and dislike Taylor's), he had no right doing what he did to the poor girl. I mean, everyone knows he has a super big ego and that he's done crap like this before, but it wasn't even his award. And the fact that Beyonce won the best award of the night is irony smacking West in his face. At least Beyonce was professional enough to allow Taylor to finish her speech. As for the rest of the show, I loved Gaga and P!nk's performances. Most of the awards given out were given to those that I expected to win. Save that one incident, a good year for the VMAs.

Ageless Irony
September 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
haruuuuuuu haruuuuuuuu haruuuuuuuu!!

gerard rocked the intro for muse!!

Finally.

Anyway, Kanye made an attempt to apologize on his blog.
http://www.pinkisthenewblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/091409_kanyeapology.jpg

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM
For me the VMA are always a disappointment to me for some reason but when Kanye took the mic from Taylor Swift I was laughing because he told the truth, shes not the best and that's saying a lot coming from someone that doesn't listen to that type of music

:t354:TG

Akio123
September 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I just want to say one think about the whole Kanye thing...in reality this is to be expected. He has the biggest ego on the face of the planet. XD I mean think about
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SmallNameBigEgo
Scroll Down/Control F to Kanye and then search his anme on TvTropes.
He does things like this all of the time. Why do you think South Park did an entire episode to parody him? He really can't take a joke, has to make sure the ENTIRE world knows his opinion, and has to make sure he is the center of attention at all time. His apology is completely fake. He just didn't want Taylor Swift (who rightfully won) to sue. What's worse? Beyonce, who he endorsed, won best music video of the year anyway.Meaning he made himself look like a moron for no.real.reason.at all.

Lucy Lu
September 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Oh yes! Beyonce won Video of the Year anyway! So of what he did was unnecessary! What a waste of time! Omg, I bet he is feeling really stupid! I hope he feels that way. Still 808 Heartbreak will be the last CD I ever get from him. I won't get his late stuff til he clean up his act! And don't invite him to any award show for about maybe 3 years. That is what I think they should do to him. Because I know he probably do this again and again. He won't learn...

Haza
September 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
He does it for publicity but its so interesting each time.

Lucy Lu
September 14th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah I guess he will do anything to get some screen time. Since there wasn't any cameras surrounding him through the night, he had to do something. Omg, Kanye...your ego *sigh* He just need to stop. He is throwing away his whole career. All of his hard work is going down the drain. If he keeps this up, he will lose all of his fans not just a quarter. Yeah right now I am pretty upset over him, but I will get over it. I will still listen to his music. But his attitude just need to change. I still say don't invite him to anymore award shows til he behaves like a professional he is supposed to be.

I give Beyonce props for making Taylor finish her speech. Now she has a lot of class. =D Even if I am not a fan of Taylor she deserves to win that award and be happy about it. ^^

Haza
September 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM
^
Beyonce has never not been classy. She and the rest of the ladies from the Destiny's Child trio have all gracious.

Anyway, P!nk has made some very harsh remarks about him. Even President Obama has made a comment about it. I have a feeling this aint gonna go away anytime soon! ^.^

Azonic
September 15th, 2009, 03:34 AM
^
Beyonce has never not been classy. She and the rest of the ladies from the Destiny's Child trio have all gracious.

Anyway, P!nk has made some very harsh remarks about him. Even President Obama has made a comment about it. I have a feeling this aint gonna go away anytime soon! ^.^Hehe, yeah. A bunch of people made some pretty harsh comments on him. Clarkson, Perry, Lambert, etc. I even hear the security guards had to hold Pink from lashing out on Kanye, lol. Kanye isn't a stranger to this kind of behavior though.

It was totally wrong, but if you really want your name to be known in the headlines then that is how you do it. Although it's all infamy for Kanye. He's throwing away his career. :/ God, he wasn't even up in that category, yet he still has the nerve to show up Taylor in her first VMA award. It was completely unnecessary. Heh, Taylor Swift gets a lot more publicity with this event. Maybe it's just me but I reeeally do not believe Kanye's apology was really coming from his heart. Meh. Beyonce was nice, professional. I like her.

Oh well, on a positive note, some spectacular performances. Pink's little air acrobatics were amazing, and she did it WHILE she was singing. That's awesome. My favorite was definitely Lady Gaga though. It looked glamorous, how it was all set up. The blood really made the whole performance though. <33 It looks so real, especially at the end when she "hangs" herself. It looked like she was actually hung. Blood on the eyeballs and everything. It was amazing. Also, I did NOT expect a voice like that from Gaga. I haven't seen her live. She sounded amazing. I expected an average electropop voice but...

Haha, 3OH!3 sounded weird live with the falsetto parts. Ugh, the whole thing had too much Green Day. :(

lol Gaga's outfits though. She really went all out, lol. That's what she's well known for anyways. I didn't like the first or the last. That was a bit extreme. ._.; She looked nice without the red mask on. Paparazzi outfit was just like her though.

Great awards given out. They actually made sense. No disney stars at least, lol. I love You Belong With Me, it's catchy; I'm glad it won something! It's still at number 1 now isn't it? Gaga won best new artist of course; I can't say I'm surprised knowing how popular she is but I'm happy for her XD. Britney won for Womanizer! I wish she wasn't on tour but, I'm glad the girl won something this time. She's really coming back after all. (though I have to say, I do like Pokerface better than Womanizer). Green Day winning something is the only disappointment out of the awards. Beyonce won the best overall, which is good for her. I'm not a big fan of hers but she has some decent music (Halo is nice).

.little monster
September 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Okay, I am ignoring the rest of the thread because I just want to say a few things.

Lady Gaga's and Pink's performances were amazing. They sounded amazing and had amazing dance moves. They were so creative and artistic. Even if you don't like their music you have to appreciate them for that.

I am glad that Taylor one, she deserved it. Sad at the same time because Lady Gaga didn't get the award. Anyways, I forever hate Kanye for what he did. That was just unforgivable. Also, has anyone else heard the clip of Obama calling Kanye a jack***? It's awesome~

Patchisou Yutohru
September 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
For me the VMA are always a disappointment to me for some reason but when Kanye took the mic from Taylor Swift I was laughing because he told the truth, shes not the best and that's saying a lot coming from someone that doesn't listen to that type of music
That doesn't make any sense at all. Of course someone who doesn't listen to the type of music Taylor Swift puts out into the public wouldn't agree that she deserved the award. You're kind of contradicting yourself, but whatever.

Anyway -- In my opinion, I think Lady Gaga's performance was the most memorable for this year's VMA's. I think it was sheer creative genius. Though I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be, she really knows how to capture the creativity and art in performances; something I believe to be lost in most artists in live performances. She really knows how to put on a show. Her eccentricity is the upcoming of her success as far as I'm concerned. Something that's truly inspirational for those who are looked at to be eccentric and who focus on the creative side of life. Seems she can make art out of anything.

Haza
September 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Gagas performance was amazing. Some of the people I was watching it with were kind of nervous at the theme because they had never seen the video before.

The more I watch Beyonces performance the more I feel like she did the best(but I could just be being a fanboy). She even threw in a bit of her style from the Dangerously In Love days at the beginning.

SBaby
September 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I am glad that Taylor one, she deserved it. Sad at the same time because Lady Gaga didn't get the award. Anyways, I forever hate Kanye for what he did. That was just unforgivable. Also, has anyone else heard the clip of Obama calling Kanye a jack***? It's awesome~

The funny thing is, he had said that off the record and didn't want that to get out. I'm surprised he didn't want that released though, because it only improves peoples' opinions of him.

Haza
September 16th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Because he is the President of the United States dipping into entertainment deals. Its just not scene.

ソラ
September 16th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Kanye sucks, im sorry, I just dont like him, after saying he is Jesus, Im like he is crazy, and then this, just wow.

But I liked how Eminem said that the award is for Proof. reason I really like that cause Eminem is my favorite rapper, and out of D12 Proof was my all time favorite, and since he is dead, it just warms my heart, R.I.P Big Proof.

anyways the VMA was good. I hate Kanye, Em is tight, and Taylor Swift is awesome, and Beyonce is such a nice women for letting talyor have her moment.

Haza
September 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Im going to get shot for saying this by all the GagaBoyz on the site(Ctep & Poker Face) but Lady Gaga was trying too hard with her ensembles. She looked good on the Red Carpet & her perfromance but the rest was dumb. The red was kinda cool though.

Jordan
September 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM
No TV here, so most of the stuff I know about the MTV Music Awards is by word of mouth or the news :P I did, however, get to see the Kanye West rudely interrupting Taylor Swift. I'll just say here that Kanye has never really appealed to me, and his arrogance is big enough for its own zipcode for a lack of a better cliche. His music is basically spending 5 minutes yelling at his listeners for something he claimed to have done...rudely. Taylor Swift's music, however, are great storytelling and always has a sweet tune to it, and she wholly deserved this award (biased since I haven't seen Beyonce's vid :P).

Kanye West is a scumbag. The guy doesn't deserve fame and I seriously hope his actions tonight ruin his career for good. He's a no good loser and talentless at that. :|

And Taylor Swift is just precious, so he's a totes jerk.
I think I love you again, Joe <3
Kanye West was smart by doing that because he made himself free publicity. However it's still unforgivable
Well, he gave Tay the good publicity, and attracted negative ones to himself...not really a good strategy to build a fanbase.

Haza
September 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I dont think people who have no television can really have an opinion on Pop Culture, seriously.

Jordan
September 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I dont think people who have no television can really have an opinion on Pop Culture, seriously.

Hahaha, I have internet, and I had TV until very recently. How about that? :P

Haza
September 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Its not good enough obviously if you havent seen Beyonce - Single ladies.

Jordan
September 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Alright, now I have seen it (Youtube <3)....and my opinion still stands, Taylor Swift deserved her award. I'll admit, Beyonce had a great dance going, but Tay's vid had a twinkle of charm that draws me in better. But I don't mind you saying that, though, since you're entitled to your opinion. (b'-')b

Haza
September 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Okay but still, someone living in the dark ages like urself would prefer a country artist since their fanbase does too. ^.^ No surprise there. Not gonna keep Beyonce from being the highest paid entertainer since Madonna.

Jordan
September 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hurray for Dark Ages Canada! >:D
Anyhoo, I'll stop posting so we can get back on topic about the awards :x

Haza
September 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Lol! Im sorry XD

Anyway, did u see the performances of the other nominees compared to TaySwifts? Hers was prerecorded because it was so lame.

Zero°
September 16th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Meh, I didn't really like Single Ladies, anyways. I've heard that song so many times, that it started to get annoying.

Jordan
September 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Ouchies, no need for the lame part D:
I just saw Katy Perry's performance on video. I'll watch the others right now.

Haza
September 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Im sad that santigold or M.I.A. didn't at least make an appearance this year.

Neo-Wolf
September 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I really think that Taylor Swift deserved the award!

RAWR ^_^
September 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Was anyone disappointed with Muse's performance?
It was so dull for a Muse performance, I was hoping they would so something amazing.

Haza
September 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I was. Even Green Day sucked this year. I think this year was all about the divas, who all blew it out the water.

RAWR ^_^
September 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Beyonce + GaGa = Phenomonal.

Green Day > Muse.

Green Day edge because of the stage rush towards the end, which looked like loads of fun. I was hoping Muse would take to the main stage and perform as amazing as they do usually, but I got the impression Muse are simply an amazing touring act. They are amazing playing to huge audiences, I just don't think it translates well to smaller venues and audiences.

Patchisou Yutohru
September 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Obviously there's a lot of fighting here with the whole Beyoncé and Taylor Swift argument. Just remember not to go attacking each others' music tastes considering the fact that this is a rule and will earn you a warning for the first offense and an infraction for offenses afterword. There's a fine line between civilized debate between the two and just attacking someone without being able to meet in between or agree in one statement or another.

Haza
September 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Shakira & Pink wearing the same dress was pretty funny. Esspecially since they were interviewed right after eachother. They even took a picture together which revealed that Pink wore it better. Had Shakira not put those boots with hers she may have taken the cake. (sneaky designer had 1 piece on 2 stars on the red carpet)

Chelc
September 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I really enjoyed the VMAs this year. Madonna's speech and Janet's tribute were great starts to the show. I loved each and every performance, especially Lady GaGa's. Lol, her outfits were one of my favorite parts of the show as well. Each award given was well deserved. The only things I didn't like were Russell Brand hosting (seriously, I wish MTV would get someone else to host next year) and the Kanye/Taylor thing, though that ended up being okay in the end. I also wanted Britney to show up, but in the end I didn't mind because of how entertained I was by everyone else.

Haza
September 19th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah,, I was expecting to see more of Britney but guess it was a bad year for her because so many other pop singers got big this year.

The Red Bandit
September 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
I haven't seen the awards yet. I got it set to my DVR, but I been hearing that Kayne was being a total jerk to Taylor Swift. I don't know her personally, but she deserved that award! There was no reason for him to act like that! Omg, why does he do this?!! I am glad Beyonce called her up so she can do her speech. That was nice of her. But still...Kanye, Kanye, Kanye...dude, you need some help! For real! His career is definitely going down at this point! I don't think he should be allowed to go to any award event til he clean up his act! What a sore loser! I am a fan of his music. But as soon as I get 808 Heartbreak, that will be last CD I will ever get from him til he stop acting the world is around him. He deserved getting booed! It was Taylor's night and he messed it up! Dang...!

But in other words, I can't wait til I see Janet Jackson's performance! I heard she performed "Scream"! Omg...that is a great song. Michael and her did great on that song. And I will get to see "This Is It" trailer. I want to see that movie. ^^ See now I wish they made the whole award show tribute to Michael Jackson, but they didn't. I guess it is better than nothing. I am looking forward to watch it. But I think I will skip the Kanye West fiasco. Dang...Yeah I know it was not nice at all)= But Janet's performance was the best ever oh an pink's I do not know it is hard to pick(=And Kanye did not have to do that she did not deserve that.:badsmile: