View Full Version : Storm Chasers

September 14th, 2009, 1:00 PM
This was a piece of writing that I had to do for a Critical Essay in English a long time ago. I hope you enjoy read this, because I enjoyed writing it (It's a short story)

'Twas a clear, sunny day, and Joshua, Sean and Gordon were getting out of bed ready for their final week of tornado chasing. So, after a lengthy breakfast (which they discussed what they were going to do that day, since no tornadoes had appeared last week), they went outside and drove off, with Joshua telling them if tornadoes were going to form. But they didn’t know that a big tornado was forming near the town they had slept in; they didn’t know that they would be saving a lot of people’s lives after a deadly tornado from Canada had done its work. The team drove off in a Westerly direction to Kansas City, in the state of Kansas. Joshua didn’t realise that there was something wrong until they heard a NWS (National Weather Service) report on the local radio. This was what the reporter said:

“If you live in the state of Missouri or Kansas, then you are advised to take shelter immediately, as a large tornado is 10 miles North of the two states.”

“The NWS must be wrong because I don’t see a thing,” Joshua said, 30 seconds later.
The group were stunned. If Joshua couldn’t see it and the NWS could, what was going wrong?
“Try your navigational device,” said Sean, looking confused and puzzled.
Joshua looked at it, and told them in a very loud voice to stop the vehicle.
“Look at the reading, you guys. It is showing a reading way outside the limits of my computer.” They looked at it, and they did indeed notice a reading so high that it went off the screen.
“How did it get changed?” wept Joshua. “If it was broken into, I would have heard the alarm through my watch.”
Gordon was looking at the ground, which caught Joshua’s eye immediately.
“Did you come into the vehicle and set the reading to such high proportions, so that it would not work next day?”
The time had come to come clean.
“Okay, I changed it because I guessed that there were no tornadoes going to form this week.”
An hour later, however, Joshua was still fuming about Gordon’s attempt to sabotage the navigational device. They had managed to reset it, but unfortunately, at the cost of being too late to intercept the tornado. After arriving in the sleepy town of St. Louis, they saw no buildings standing anywhere in the radius of about 5 square miles. All they saw was a mountain of debris and bits of people’s body, thrown everywhere. The team were thinking the same thing: this was a deadly tornado, one that was higher than the F5 rating of tornadoes, probably an F7. They called the NWS and this was what the team said to them:

“Guys, St Louis has vanished: vanished for good, never to come back.”

Suddenly, a warning alarm sounded inside the TCG (Tornado Chasing Group) vehicle and they all looked inside and on the radar, it showed all sorts of different colours and diagrams. Joshua suddenly realised that another serious tornado was forming.
“The airport,” he said. “It can’t be, just can’t be.”
“Better go and check it out anyway,” said Gordon.
So they drove off, in an Easterly direction towards the city of Pittsburgh.

Meanwhile, an Airbus A380 was coming into land at the airport of Pittsburgh. They didn’t get told about the incoming tornado and are at an altitude of 10000ft.
“Is our landing gears down?” asked the pilot of the plane.
“Yes, captain,” replied the 1st Officer.
“Pittsburgh ATC, this is Air France Flight 203, do you have us on your radar?
“Air France Flight 203, yes, we have you on our primary radar. Continue your landing sequence.”
“Thanks, Pittsburgh Control, Air France Flight 203. We will continue our descent.”
So, they continued to descend. 9000ft. 8000ft. 7500ft. Suddenly, all of the computer screens, lights and even the autopilot went off. The entire plane was put into darkness.
“What happened?” asked the captain. “Check the last fuel check levels and see if there was any change.”
“Yes, captain,” replied the 1st Officer.
“Pittsburgh Control, this is Air France Flight 203. We have had a computer malfunction. Can you guide us to the airport, please?”
“Air France 203, we no longer have you on primary radar. Can you confirm your heading number and altitude reading?”
“Our heading number is –“
And suddenly, the captain could no longer hear the Air Traffic Controller.
“The fuel gauge levels shows perfectly reasonable number,” the 1st Officer told the captain.
Suddenly, the aeroplane pitched sharp right and started to turn around. The captain took hold of the control column and rammed the rudder pedal to make it go left, but the controls were not responding.
“Help me here,” shouted the captain. “I need some help.”
And 10 seconds later, the plane blew up, so violently that bit of the debris rammed themselves through people’s bodies and made the blood stream out. It was all over in the space of 20 seconds.
“Air France Flight 203, can you hear me? Air France Flight 203, can you hear me? Air France Flight 203, can you hear me? Air France Flight 203, can … you … hear … me?” And on it went; he kept repeating himself 20 more times: then he stood up, looked through the window and saw a plume of black toxic smoke. The controller started crying and had to go away to compose himself. One of the other controllers called the emergency services right away.

Back at the TCG, Joshua, Sean and Gordon were driving along to the location of another tornado. Unknown to them, an Airbus A380 has just crashed at Pittsburgh Airport. As they drove along, they heard a radio message. This is the message:

“Reports are coming in of a plane crash at PittsburghAirport. We don’t have any information yet, but we believe that all on the plane died instantly.”

The vehicle came to a sudden halt. They all stared at the radio in shock horror. They were too late again. Gordon got out of the TCG and banged his head against the vehicle so hard that his head hurt afterwards. Why did he always end up being late to intercept tornadoes? Why is his life so hell and rubbish? Suddenly, he had an idea; jumping back into the vehicle, he ordered his team drive them as fast as possible back to St Louis: he wanted to show the entire world that he can save people from deadly forces, such as tornadoes. 10 minutes later, they arrived to find many emergency service vehicles. They all jumped out of the vehicle and started helping them with finding survivors and dead bodies. Once or twice, Sean moved away from everyone and spewed all over the ground. Finally, 150 survivors were pulled out of the wreckage and 950 dead bodies sent to the nearby morgue.

One week later, Gordon and his team were given bravery awards in times of pressure. They were given diplomas for medical treatment and awarded new equipment for their vehicle to help track very strong tornadoes. The tornado that struck St Louis has never struck again and the USA President reviewed the “Fujita Scale” and added two new numbers to it: and F6 which could destroy ¾ of a town and the F7, which would raze a town to nothing.

If you have any kind of comments, criticisms or anything you'd like to say about my story, please feel free to post them in this thread. However I won't make any revisions.