PDA

View Full Version : Underrated series

twocows
September 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I've had it up to here with series that everybody has seen. You could fill a swimming pool with the number of Death Note-related threads in this forum. Let's discuss good stuff that people might not know about. I can't think of anything particularly obscure, so I'll let someone else start.

poopnoodle
September 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Meh @ Death Note. FLCL maybz? Or maybe the movie Tekkonkinkreet. Or Paprika. Haven't seen threads on any of those...I'm sure there are plenty of good series-es that haven't been touched

Finnel
September 16th, 2009, 08:47 PM
(The) Slayers, fantasy anime from the 90s. One of the best animes I've seen, but not many people know about it since it's a bit old. When people ask me what anime they should watch, I always recommend this one. It's funny, nicely animated and has a good plot. The last two seasons (Try and Revolution) weren't that good though.
The original novels are great as well, I have all 8 volumes that were translated by Tokyopop.

kohei
September 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Tokyo Akazukin
Dorohedoro
Blame! and Biomega (bunching these two, since Nihei seems to hint some continuity between them)
The three listed above needs mention for those who like action (laced with lolis for Akazukin, laced with humor for Dorohedoro.)

Also if you want an autobiographical manga that isn't about a successful figure, Shigeyuki Fukumitsu's Boku no Shokibo na Seikatsu is freaking awesome.

If you are into religion/religious humor/Johnny Depp, Saint Young Men by Hikaru Nakamura is great.
The two protagonists are Jesus and Buddha living in Japan after the millennium was over, and they needed a break from heavenly duties.
If you can live with the Japanese yaoi fangirls, this series is a read as well.

Bay Alexison
September 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Baccano! A really crazy but fun and exciting anime. There's all kinds of characters from 1930s gangsters, immortal people, thieves, insane killers, and a whole bunch more. Despite a huge cast and hard to relate to them because of the fast pace of the events, after getting used to the series you'll like them a lot. Speaking of events, they actually don't come in order, but that's the fun part of the series as you'll have a great time trying figure out which event happened first. :P Also, the background music is awesome if you're into jazz meets pop kind of music.

Another one is Black Cat. Like Baccano, the anime also has a variety of characters from assassins, bounty hunters, scientists, thieves, people with superpowers, and bio weapon clones (yes, a bio weapon clone :P ). The action is good but quite fast paced (someone mentioned that also in the Black Cat thread a while ago). However, part of it has to do is the characters are quite skilled in what they do. That might bother some but it didn't disturb me that much considering the show made references they have been doing their thing for a while. Also, the characters and interactions are great. There are some really funny moments (gawds, love "Operation: Here, kitty, kitty!" XD) and also a lot of emotional moments too. I want to say however even though I love the anime, I'm reading the manga now and I think the manga version is a lot better, mostly do to how I like the main character's personality better and also some events I wished were featured in the anime. XD

poopnoodle, I think FLCL is quite known, though not as well known as Code Geass and such. I have friends mentioning how that's one of the craziest and weirdest anime ever but that it's awesome. I agree. XD; I don't know, I would say it's not underrated but not overrated.

poopnoodle
September 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
poopnoodle, I think FLCL is quite known, though not as well known as Code Geass and such. I have friends mentioning how that's one of the craziest and weirdest anime ever but that it's awesome. I agree. XD; I don't know, I would say it's not underrated but not overrated.Probs, I don't really keep up with my animes/I don't know anyone who likes anime irl, so I just watch whatever I happen to stumble upon. I just haven't seen anyone here talk about it, and this is the only forum I reside in, so it seemed ~underground.~ ^-^ Aaanyways, I might fail at the following, but Princess Tutu is anotha...darkly bizarre, elegantly animated, I loved it.

Esper
September 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I don't think many things get underrated as much as they are just completely unknown to a lot of people. A search of Haibane Renmei on this site gave me only 10 results (and two were mine!) despite it being an excellent short series with lots of character-centered, emotionally leaden drama and mystery. Probably it's on account of it being nearly 7 years old so there's no real fanbase anymore, but the big names always push deserving series out of the spotlight.

Haza
September 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Getbackers! An anime that I have absolutely fallen in love with!

Wings Don't Cry
September 17th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Phantom; Requiem for the Phantom

One of the best on-going animes and I've never seen anyone talk about it.

Ryoutarou
September 17th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Anything made pre-2003 here. :O

Kay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but a lot of the stuff I've seen listed isn't really underrated in any sense. I would say maybe the Buddha manga, but that's by Tezuka and I can't really consider anything by him to be underrated. Maybe Zodiac P.I.? That was a cute little shoujo detective series that was pretty short and could probably count the times I've seen any decent discussion on it here at PC or around the internet...English side at least.

Bay Alexison
September 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Probs, I don't really keep up with my animes/I don't know anyone who likes anime irl, so I just watch whatever I happen to stumble upon. I just haven't seen anyone here talk about it, and this is the only forum I reside in, so it seemed ~underground.~ ^-^ Aaanyways, I might fail at the following, but Princess Tutu is anotha...darkly bizarre, elegantly animated, I loved it.
Don't worry, I'm not that well versed with anime either. XD I too just go by what I stumble upon, although I sometimes will check out an anime show if I have a friend that recommends it to me. FLCL has been mentioned a few times here and I have friends that talked about it, so I'm just going by what I hear.

I don't think many things get underrated as much as they are just completely unknown to a lot of people. A search of Haibane Renmei on this site gave me only 10 results (and two were mine!) despite it being an excellent short series with lots of character-centered, emotionally leaden drama and mystery. Probably it's on account of it being nearly 7 years old so there's no real fanbase anymore, but the big names always push deserving series out of the spotlight.
Yeah, I agree it's likely more that many things aren't unknown and that the big names always get the glory. I admit of tiring of hearing how great Death Note is, even though I do love the show a lot. XD; For the most part if there's a fanbase, there will be people wanting to check it out, like me. :x

Anything made pre-2003 here. :O

Kay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but a lot of the stuff I've seen listed isn't really underrated in any sense. I would say maybe the Buddha manga, but that's by Tezuka and I can't really consider anything by him to be underrated. Maybe Zodiac P.I.? That was a cute little shoujo detective series that was pretty short and could probably count the times I've seen any decent discussion on it here at PC or around the internet...English side at least.
For some reason, the name Zodiac P.I. makes me think of Zodaic the movie. D: Haven't check out Zodiac P.I. though. ^^;

Anyways, guess it depends how one looks at underrated. I too also go by discussions have been going on at PC but I also count things like how many times I have my friends mention this series, the avatars and banners here and other forums (yes, I count that as those are basically showing what fandom you like D: ), and also reviews from various sites.

I agree actually over that 2003 statement to an extent as I don't too many animes made before that time. Also, seems now more people are going with that fandom that's modern or "in," or at least seeing many Code Geass and Pandora Hearts fanbase here. :P Then again, sometimes I don't check what date that anime is made. XD

So yeah, I think it depends on how one sees underrated. Then again, you're more well versed in anime than me and you're most likely right some of the ones mentioned here are probably not that underrated. XD

Roxasabridged
September 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Chrno Crusade. No one seems to know about it :(

Atomsk, Rocket Grunt
September 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Zetman- Bloody and brilliant. In my eyes, a classic already.

Ichi the Killer- Close to the most violent manga I've ever read, a masterpiece examining the depths of sadomasochism/masochism.

Vagabond- An emotional and gripping account of the life of Musashi Miyamoto, one of Japan's most famous duelists and sword saint.

Mysterious Girlfriend X- A love story involving drool, scissors and some of the best art I've seen in a while.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer- The princess is supposed to save the world with the help of the Beast Knights, but what happens when what she really wants to do is destroy it herself?

Most of these are available on OneManga with the exception of Ichi the Killer, which is on The Spectrum Nexus. If anyone wants anymore recommendations I read about 50-60 series' so I'm always excited about something.

Eпvy
September 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
FLCL maybz?

FLCL is so far from underrated that it's not even funny. It is very much overrated if anything.

Anyways, what do I think is underrated? Depends on what we're talking about here? Meaning it deserves more popularity?

If so than I have to go for Monster. It is liked by those who have seen it, but it hasn't had too much exposure really. But I guess that might just change seeing as it's coming on SyFy late next month. (Yes, I was VERY shocked to find that out.)

I also think that One Piece is a bit underrated in America. But it's not horribly underrated anymore I don't think. And it should probably stay this way. I'd rather it not be at Naruto, Bleach, or Death Note level.

thedestinedblade
September 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
From anything I've seen recently, it would probably be Kure-nai. Pretty touching story with some great character development. The anime was only 12 episodes, but the manga is currently ongoing.

As for overall that would probably be Armored Trooper Votoms. It's really old (1983) but it's easily my favorite mecha series. Best main character ever ;D great storyline, and awesome mech fights.

KUROXFAI
September 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Pet shop of Horrors - kinda bloody depending on your idea, funny, and great
Beast in the Tower - all round good if u can stand the yaoi fan girls
Afuresou na Pool - yaoi but with a style
Legal Drug - this is like one of the best series, it has everything
X-1999 - really dark and scary to some people XD Though not to me
Tokyo Babylon - an ending you will never c coming
Only the Ring Finger Knows - a graphic novel only one book but it is so underrated
Kobatu - This is the funniest manga i have ever read
SGT Frog - like the best and i think only alien mangas i have read
Magic Knight Rayearth - a really good story line and wait till you get to the ending
thats all i can think of right now
will post more when i remember

Graceful
September 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I hardly see any Sailor Moon Threads. Okay, It's Gone. But It's an Awesome Anime! @_@

Guitar
September 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Bakemonogatari? At least here it's underrated, but it's quite well-known in my native forum. The girl in my avatar is from that show, and the anime opening is in my profile.

Verkaufer
September 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Golgo13 and Akumetsu are pretty underrated.

Golgo13 is probably the smoothest man who walked the earth. Just assassinate a man? Why not go have a drink.

Akumetsu is like Death Note meets violence. Instead of writing in a weak notebook, this guy goes out and kills the criminals himself.

kohei
September 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Golgo13 and Akumetsu are pretty underrated.

Golgo13 is probably the smoothest man who walked the earth. Just assassinate a man? Why not go have a drink.

Akumetsu is like Death Note meets violence. Instead of writing in a weak notebook, this guy goes out and kills the criminals himself.
Golgo 13 is awesome.
The only downside is that the series will never, ever end, meaning I'd waste my whole life attempting to read through every existing story.

Still, Togo has only ever missed his shots twice, and that is an achievement, even for a manga character.
Mysterious Girlfriend X- A love story involving drool, scissors and some of the best art I've seen in a while.
Haven't red Nazo no Kanojyo X yet, but how does it compare with Discommunication?
Or is it more like Yumetsukai? Because I honestly didn't like the latter.

And on topic:
Any manga by kashmir (http://picnic.to/~kashmir/).

Daydream Nation, Yuri-seijin Naoko-san and ○ hon no Jyuunin... all comedies with cute art, and with black/risky humor.
Don't know why it's not a hit :/

Syrex
September 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Zombie-Loan :)

I just made a thread about it actually. It's a pretty good Anime. Only 11 episodes and 2 DVDs though.

Taichi
September 20th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Gurren Lagann.

It surprises me that everyone has seen DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, etc. Yet none of those peole have seen Gurren Lagann, which is immensely better than the latter two. (I love DBZ forever though. lol)

twocows
September 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
Gurren Lagann.

It surprises me that everyone has seen DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, etc. Yet none of those peole have seen Gurren Lagann, which is immensely better than the latter two. (I love DBZ forever though. lol)
I think Gurren Lagann is about as far from underrated as you can get. It's really popular, and it even aired on American television. As for the content, it's almost like it's a parody of itself, which is kind of neat. I'm not really into the genre, so I stopped watching after a few episodes, but what I saw was pretty good.

Luck
September 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hajime no ippo, enough said.
Quite possibly the only sports anime that I like watching.
It has character development, an actual plot, and a real good art style.

ShinjisLover
September 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM
FLCL, Black Blood Brothers, Ninja Nonsense. . These aren't anime that most people know of/seen before. Black Cat, Burst Angel, MAR, and Hikaru no Go as well.

Eпvy
September 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
FLCL

FLCL was on Adult Swim and is hailed as "the best anime ever" by tons and tons and tons of people. I don't see how in the world it's underrated.

yvette
September 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I love how someone mentioned Saint Young Men. It's awesome. Same with GetBackers.

My personal favourites (that are underrated and unpopular) include Until Death Do Us Part, Air Gear (one can disagree with me there), Gokusen, Angel Densetsu (pretty hilarious), Black Lagoon and Dogs: Bullets & Carnage.

A Pixy
September 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/Thundapolt/LAWOFUEKI.png

I can't link you directly, but I can tell you to go to Manga Fox or wherever you go to read Manga, and look up Law of Ueki.

twocows
September 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Click the image, or give me your face.
PICK ONE!
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/Thundapolt/LAWOFUEKI.png

You know you wanna read it, come on, click the picture. Go read it, you'll enjoy it. It has wicked awesome fight scenes. You won't regret it. Click it. Come on. Please?
I clicked on the picture and nothing happened. Is this the secret Magikarp anime I've been holding out for?

devilicious
September 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Uh, not exactly underrated (since anyone who watches it loves it), but since no one watched it, it's more like "unknown": Dennou Coil.

If may add, Hidamari Sketch as well. And seconding Princess Tutu. And seconding Kure-nai as well. Oh, and also Kaiji.

FLCL, Black Blood Brothers, Ninja Nonsense. . These aren't anime that most people know of/seen before. Black Cat, Burst Angel, MAR, and Hikaru no Go as well.

I lol'd hard at this post because it listed only popular anime. Seriously, if I was stupid I would have sent that post to all my friends and we'd get together and laugh at it.

A Pixy
September 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I clicked on the picture and nothing happened. Is this the secret Magikarp anime I've been holding out for?

Sorry, my bad, thought I linked that to Mangafox. Not sure what happened.

Spinni
September 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Umineko no Naku Koro ni :D

It's a really great anime..if you can stand all the murdering XD

twocows
September 21st, 2009, 07:27 PM
Umineko no Naku Koro ni :D

It's a really great anime..if you can stand all the murdering XD
The game is superior, though I wasn't a fan of Witch-hunt's translation work. It was tolerable, but barely.

Rainflower
September 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Saber Marionette J - why, it saddens me that very few people know this series ;o;
Katekyo Hitman Reborn - a lot of people watch/read bleach, naruto, gintama, one piece.. but no one really knows about this one Shonen Jump franchise?
The Count of Monte Cristo - sort of a sciencefiction-gothic anime. the artwork is very amazing, yet it's still underrated.
Nodame Cantabile - enough with the stereotypical magical girl and harem shoujo anime. why not classical music and orchestra anime instead? this one's much better than La Corda D'Oro.

twocows
September 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Saber Marionette J - why, it saddens me that very few people know this series ;o;
Katekyo Hitman Reborn - a lot of people watch/read bleach, naruto, gintama, one piece.. but no one really knows about this one Shonen Jump franchise?
The Count of Monte Cristo - sort of a sciencefiction-gothic anime. the artwork is very amazing, yet it's still underrated.
Nodame Cantabile - enough with the stereotypical magical girl and harem shoujo anime. why not classical music and orchestra anime instead? this one's much better than La Corda D'Oro.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/Metroid_Ext/Anime%20Screenshots/Cardcaptor%20Sakura/-SakuraAngry-.jpg
Fair use. Anime is Cardcaptor Sakura.
You best not be dissing magical girl anime.

Eпvy
September 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM

Actually it's quite popular here on the internet from what I've seen. I find it funny that you mentioned Gintama there. It's another anime much like REBORN! that you'd never know it existed if it weren't for it's internet fanbase.

Personally I'm not a big fan of either of them. REBORN! isn't really anything special. Not saying that it isn't worth a watch, but in between the arcs it's filled with filler... Or actually I don't know. It's hard to tell between filler and canon in REBORN!

Gintama's just comedy. Hit or miss comedy IMO, so I haven't really been able to get into it like everybody else.

But maybe you're right, REBORN! really shouldn't be the outcast here, I'd say that it's quite a bit better than Naruto, and maybe Bleach.

What? Why can't we like them both. I actually personally prefer La Corda D'Oro by just a bit... But they're both good.

Besides I wouldn't call Nodame Cantabile underrated. It's liked among those that have seen/read it. I'd be more inclined to call it more obscure. The anime hasn't even been brought to America. =(

.Busou Kihaku.
September 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
I can think of Baki the Grappler, Hajime No Ippo and Yu Yu Hakusho. These are the ones worth of talk, i haven't seen anybody talk about it on the net.

Kotowari
September 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
One of the anime I find underrated is Saiunkoku Monogatari.
A Reverse Harem Shoujo Anime at first sight, a very good Shoujo Anime at second.
Atypical Heroine, Kou Shuurei tries to find her way Saiunkoku's political world, ruled by men. Yes, many of the guys like/love her, but she rejects them all. 8D Which is part of her charm, really... and Ryuuki's attempts at getting closer to her are hilarious at times...
But that's not all there is to it. Based on the unfinished series of light-novels by Sai Yukino, this Anime has a very strong cast. Each character is well rounded, has their past, their reason to act the way they act and more. :3
Yes, yes, I love this (so far) two seasons counting (2x39 episodes) anime.
Too bad the fandom is so small. D: Maybe the novels might be translated then...

Another anime/manga is Candidate for Goddess by Yukiru Sugisaki (DN Angel's Author). It's unfinished (*cries*) but it's very good for a Mecha series... i don't like Mecha, I seriously don't. But the cast was very good... And I really want to know how it ends. DX

Let's see, what else...
Oh, yes.

Pretear is a shoujo (magical shoujo), but a very good one. Not too sweet, and a strong story line. With only 13 episodes, it's not too long and void of filler episodes. =)

I don't know if it's underrated, but I haven't heard much of this series: Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit)
It's very good with a very special artstyle... and backgrounds are amazing. o3o
Very nice story as well. ^_^

machomuu
September 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Black Cat, Hunter X Hunter, Zatch Bell, Baki the Grappler, Sousei no Aquarion (Though I don't really like that show...) and Kodocha, I love all of those shows, but they're very underatted...so watch them :). Oh and Law of Ueki, that anime/manga is freaken awesome but way too underatted.

jasonresno
September 22nd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Air Gear is incredible though, I admit, the conclusion wasn't entirely satisfying. It's a more mature yet completely accessible anime with a great art style, great voice actors, and an incredible score. Definitely rec. checking it out. It's only 20 something eps long but it's wildly entertaining the whole way through.

yvette
September 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Personally I'm not a big fan of either of them. REBORN! isn't really anything special. Not saying that it isn't worth a watch, but in between the arcs it's filled with filler... Or actually I don't know. It's hard to tell between filler and canon in REBORN!

It probably isn't, but for the sake of your eyes, just don't read the first few chapters of the manga. D: The content foreshadows stuff, but really... Amano's (and her staff's?) drawing improved a lot during the Varia and Millefiore/TYL Arc. I liked the Varia Arc's a lot compared to the TYL Arc though. TYL Arc's art is pretty (I guess most girls would say that) but there aren't a lot of definite/solid lines, at least, none that I can see.

Air Gear is incredible though, I admit, the conclusion wasn't entirely satisfying. It's a more mature yet completely accessible anime with a great art style, great voice actors, and an incredible score. Definitely rec. checking it out. It's only 20 something eps long but it's wildly entertaining the whole way through.

And If they continued it... wonder how it would turn out moar Kaito plz. If anyone is looking for more stuff by Oh! great and you don't mind excessive blood, gore or nudity (it's an M-rated manga, yes), check out Tenjou Tenge. Yeah, I don't like some parts, but it's pretty interesting overall, especially the Flashback Arc (with Shin).

jasonresno
September 22nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
It probably isn't, but for the sake of your eyes, just don't read the first few chapters of the manga. D: The content foreshadows stuff, but really... Amano's (and her staff's?) drawing improved a lot during the Varia and Millefiore/TYL Arc. I liked the Varia Arc's a lot compared to the TYL Arc though. TYL Arc's art is pretty (I guess most girls would say that) but there aren't a lot of definite/solid lines, at least, none that I can see.

And If they continued it... wonder how it would turn out moar Kaito plz. If anyone is looking for more stuff by Oh! great and you don't mind excessive blood, gore or nudity (it's an M-rated manga, yes), check out Tenjou Tenge. Yeah, I don't like some parts, but it's pretty interesting overall, especially the Flashback Arc (with Shin).

I'm a huge Kazu/Ikki/Agito fan. I heard they might be making a season 2. Which would be ammaazzzing.

Most stuff by Oh! Great seems pretty legit. I might check it out.

Jordan
September 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Underrated, or just plain bad, you make the call. However, Duel Master's English dub has a sense of humor that just rings to me. It's one of the funnier anime I've seen to date.

parallelzero
September 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure you could read like... the first 10 chapters, and then skip ahead to the Rokudo Mukuro arc since very little is of much use in the first 50 chapters or so. XD I watched the Varia arc and have been reading the TYL arc though, so I can't make art comparisons though.

One of the more underrated romance anime, I think, is the ef - a tale of memories series. What I enjoyed the most about it was the unique art style and beautiful music, and the plot was pretty solid and touching. It might not be as underrated as I think though, but I rarely see it talked about.

An-chan
September 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Almost everyone knows Fullmetal Alchemist, but another work by the same mangaka, Arakawa Hiromu, is really underrated. Juushin Enbu, as it's called, or "Hero Tales", is currently in serialization, so it's not complete yet. It deals with similar issues than Fullmetal Alchemist, but it has a totally different setting and a very different cast of characters. I've read eleven chapters of it so far, the eleven that have been translated, and I really like it a lot.

The way I originally found it tells a lot about how known it is... You see, I found it in a second-hand manga shop in Japan =D It caught my eye, I bought it and liked it, so I searched for any scanlations of it in the internet... Honestly, it's a really good manga.

I agree that Nodame Cantabile isn't underrated, because I've seen only good comments about it. It's a bit less known, though, and that's a real pity... I especially like the way it promotes classical music. I don't feel like such a nerd anymore for playing classical music myself xD

ShinjisLover
September 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
I lol'd hard at this post because it listed only popular anime. Seriously, if I was stupid I would have sent that post to all my friends and we'd get together and laugh at it.I've never seen anyone watch those shows I've listed. It's all a matter of where you live, I suppose, and which people are addicted to anime.

Lily!
September 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
I don't watch much anime, but as far as underrated goes, I think Jungle wa Itsumo Haré nochi Guu (Haré+Guu) fits the bill. It's pretty crazy, and I think it has a unique art style. It has a type of humor that you either love or hate. As far as I know, this anime is often overlooked or unheard of, although my opinion may be biased; I'm quite drawn to bizzare things.

Eпvy
September 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've never seen anyone watch those shows I've listed. It's all a matter of where you live, I suppose, and which people are addicted to anime.

You've never seen anyone watch or like FLCL?

Are you serious? All of my friends know and like it. As I said it came on Adult Swim. It is very far from underrated.

Bay Alexison
September 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
You've never seen anyone watch or like FLCL?

Are you serious? All of my friends know and like it. As I said it came on Adult Swim. It is very far from underrated.
Actually, I never heard or seen FLCL before either until one of my friends told me about it. Even though I considered FLCL not underrated due to hearing it all over the place, some people might consider FLCL underrated if they don't have Adult Swim (which I don't and I think many people here don't either), someone hasn't tell them yet, or they haven't really gone through websites/forums that mentions that anime. Happens. Once they hear about the show however, they'll realize it already has a following and such.

Volkner's Apprentice
September 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I find that the original Zoids that aired on Cartoon Network with Bit Cloud and Leena was a very underrated (short, like, 31 episodes or something?) series. I LOVED it. It was fantastic, IMO, but maybe I was just oddly addicted to the large variety of giant fighting robot animoids. XD It was particularly good for an anime of the 90s and no fillers-that's always a plus!

Idiot!
October 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Has anyone mentioned Shounen Onmyouji yet? Maybe it's pretty much unknown because it has an Eastern feeling to it that can't be Westernised.

twocows
October 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread here. I think Kanon (KyoAni version especially) is underrated. A lot of people like it, sure, but I'd say there are equally as many (or more) who seem to hate it for some odd reason. I think it was a masterpiece; you'd have to be soulless to not cry your heart out at the conclusion of Makoto's arc.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
October 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I just finished watching Kimikiss ~pure rouge. Very few of my friends have seen it although I thought it was one of the better romance animes I've seen. Ditto with Lamune and To Heart, though the last one might be a bit more well-known.

RYOUKI
October 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Oh, Saki is underrated. Maybe because most people stay out of it because of it's genre?

Oh, and most rom-coms too. Like Nyan Koi for example.

KUROXFAI
October 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM
manga - (just a few that i no) Tokaido Hisame, X-1999, Kobato, Vampire Knight, Record of a fallen vampire,
anime- Horitsuba Gakuen, xxxHolic, (just to name 2)

kohei
October 16th, 2009, 06:37 AM
[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="2"]I just finished watching Kimikiss ~pure rouge. Very few of my friends have seen it although I thought it was one of the better romance animes I've seen.The Kimikiss game was too amazing, I guess.
God forbid they make an Amagami game...

Oh, Saki is underrated. Maybe because most people stay out of it because of it's genre?Doubt Saki's underrated.
Almost all female cast, underlying yuri, mahjong with special powers... what not to like?

Though I did hear that mahjong is generally considered to be an "old people's game" in the States.
Could this be it?

twocows
October 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Though I did hear that mahjong is generally considered to be an "old people's game" in the States.
I don't think people think of it that way. Actually, I don't think people really think about it at all. I think the last time I even saw Mahjong mentioned outside of a discussion regarding Japanese stuff was when a friend and I were talking about the "Best of Entertainment '95" games disk for Windows 95. Which, for the record, had some really good stuff on it; Chip's Challenge was awesome, and so was Ski-Free.

Aether
October 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Cromartie High School and Paranoia Agent... Though I think I prefer that they remain obscure.

twocows
October 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Cromartie High School and Paranoia Agent... Though I think I prefer that they remain obscure.
That seems a bit selfish. I make sure to advertise my favorite series every chance I get. More popularity means more money in the creators' pockets, for starters; also, there's the chance that they'll like the series as much as I did. It's a win-win.

Aether
October 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
That seems a bit selfish. I make sure to advertise my favorite series every chance I get. More popularity means more money in the creators' pockets, for starters; also, there's the chance that they'll like the series as much as I did. It's a win-win.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess I just fear the amount of infamy a series can get when it grows a large fandom.

Halfwit
October 19th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I don't watch much animé at all, so manga it shall be.

Apologies in advance: i'm going to mention Deadman Wonderland here D:
it is fangirl magnet-y now I look back, so technically I should classify it as guilty pleasure, but I don't care. I just love it xD
it's classified as somewhere between shounen and seinen.. that's my excuse.
The plot is beautifully weird [a 14 year old boy is accused of murder and sent to a prison where the inmates participate in shows for the public, and there are those with the power to control their own blood in elaborate ways who are locked beneath the prison itself.. etc].
Only it gets weirder. Of course.

The characters are.. interesting, from a pudding-loving albino crazy girl in mittens to a flamboyant monk whose weapon of choice is a flying v guitar which doubles as a gattling gun [-pokes avatar-].
Plus it swerves from endearing to violent to downright insane at any chance it gets. Ah, I love it.

I heard they were making an animé of it, but since I've heard no more of this, it looks like it was probably a false alarm. Sob.
I'm guessing bits of it would have to be toned down anyway, particularly where Hummingbird is concerned oO
ah well. it's set for an english manga release in february, so I shall be snapping it up then.

Seriously, it's the best manga to read if you happen to like stories about prisons which are also carnivals.

ソラ
October 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
This is completely imo. I think Case Closed/Detective Conan is underrated in America.

Korny
October 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM
How about D. Gray Man? I never hear anyone talk about it.

kohei
October 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM
This is completely imo. I think Case Closed/Detective Conan is underrated in America.
Very.

But really, it's been going on for too long now.
Shinichi really needs to "grow up" again.

xXI JOE IXx
October 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Clannad, its a great, emotional show that should be talked about more :3

twocows
October 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Clannad, its a great, emotional show that should be talked about more :3
If you liked Clannad, you should also check out Kanon; both anime are based on visual novels of the same names by a company called Key. Specifically, I recommend watching the 2006 airing of Kanon done by Kyoto Animation; it's much better than the Toei version.

Makoto's arc is so sad. ;_; Auuu.

And I agree that they're underrated, but probably not how you meant it. They're pretty well-known (especially Clannad), but I tend to notice a lot of people hating on Kanon and Clannad for various reasons, even though I think they're both great works.

Zet
October 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
Crush Gear Turbo

Seriously, when was the last time anyone talked about Crush Gear Turbo ?

Finnel
October 22nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
If you liked Clannad, you should also check out Kanon; both anime are based on visual novels of the same names by a company called Key. Specifically, I recommend watching the 2006 airing of Kanon done by Kyoto Animation; it's much better than the Toei version.

Makoto's arc is so sad. ;_; Auuu.
Air is infinitely better than Kanon and even beats CLANNAD in some areas, the only one of Key's work (that I've read) that beats Air is Planetarian. Hopefully we'll get a movie or OVA for Planetarian.

twocows
October 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Air is infinitely better than Kanon and even beats CLANNAD in some areas, the only one of Key's work (that I've read) that beats Air is Planetarian. Hopefully we'll get a movie or OVA for Planetarian.
I didn't like AIR. Granted, I only gave it one episode, but I couldn't connect with the main character at all.

Also, thanks for implying that Kanon is bad, despite me already saying it's one of my favorite works. :'( Your mom's infinitely better than your face. Or something.

pokejungle
October 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Kimi no Todoke just came out and it's bound to be overlooked :<

But it is really good.

HoneyBubbles
October 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Kimi no Todoke just came out and it's bound to be overlooked :<

But it is really good.
This.
Althought Kimi ni Todoke seems pretty popular among shoujo fans for a new series. Especially in Japan.

Finnel
October 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Also, thanks for implying that Kanon is bad, despite me already saying it's one of my favorite works. :'( Your mom's infinitely better than your face. Or something.
I don't recall you ever saying it was one of your favorites, all I can find is you saying you think it's great. Neither did I imply Kanon's bad, I just implied that the other works I mentioned are much better. Kanon is good, CLANNAD is amazing, Air is beautiful and Planetarian is a masterpiece.

I did not mean to offend you, my apologies if you took it personally.

machomuu
October 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I almost forgot one! Maison Ikkoku by Rumiko Takahashi, the creator of Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha. It's not the greatest, but it's a pretty good show.

RYOUKI
October 30th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Doubt Saki's underrated.
Almost all female cast, underlying yuri, mahjong with special powers... what not to like?

Could this be it?
It is because of the underlying yuri themes and the game mahjong that Saki is an underrated series.

How can I forget this? Ginban Kaleidoscope. Totally, people should watch this anime.

MithosFall
November 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Tegami Bachi. It's fantastic. 'Nuf said.

Zenkovi
November 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Yu Yu Hakusho. It has an interesting plot filled with drama and suspense, a well developed and likable cast of characters, battles that will keep one on the edge of his or her seat, and a good amount of comedy. Alas, it does not have a huge fan following.

Digimon Kaiser
November 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Well, Digimon was popular several years ago, but now it needs WAY more love!