PDA

View Full Version : The Twilight bug

Bagel
September 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Some people are going to read the title and be like "Agh! Twilight god i hate it!" others will spaz out and go "OMG OMG twilight!"
If your A person who would do either of these, stop, read this, and then post an answer, not just some totally spazzed out "Omg twilight rocks!" post or a, "THese movies/books were terrible!" post. PLeases and thank-yous~

But, anyway to my questionay, Has your school/friends been bitten by the Twilght bug? Were all they talk about is twilight or were you cant go a day without hearing about twilight? My school/friends have. I personally love the books, and enjoy hearing about them and the movies... to some point. Ive got girls in my class that all they do is talk about Taylor Lautner and how hot he is, and how muscular he is (I dont disagree at all) But they just obbesses over it.
Opinions? Exspiriences? Comments?

Feign
September 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Let's see... Some girls at my workplace (interestingly enough, some of which are lesbians) like the series... And I believe so does one guy.

Otherwise, like myself, my friends detest the book. I haven't had time to read it, but I have read a bit of the beginning of Twilight, so I would be able to properly criticize it, but even then it is still a pain-staking read...

The movie had probably like 1 good scene, and it wasn't an important one at all (it was the scene where Bella met back up with her friends after Edward saved her).

Now usually, when there are mistakes in a movie, I never catch them until after I read them up on imdb, however sometimes there are the odd occurrences wherein I'll catch a movie mistake (a previous film I can recall as such, was in the Fifth Element, when the woman, in the glass enclosure goes to punch the glass. Just as she is about to do it, you can see a circular portion of the glass, had already been broken). Now with the Twilight scene, the only one I noticed, was the scene at the very end. Her oxygen tubes changed places 4 times, in the various shots they had of her... So, when I looked up Twilight on IMDB, I came across so many mistakes (of which I had not seen), and was surprised. Even some bigger ones like the fact that Edward didn't twinkle (shudder) at times in the sunlight, when he should have...

Basically, the Director of Photography, the screen writer, the editor and the director, all collectively did a bad job... And no this isn't a sexist remark >.>

Needless to say, when I read about various critcisms about the [all] books. I was totally surprised by some of the more harsher criticisms (like that of Bella's daughter...), but unsurprised about the whole, submissive, "need a man" attitude that is usually present in a romance novel... Feminists (unsurprisngly) were all over these novels in its various criticisms on attiude toward women...

Also, let's not forget to mention the whole withdraw from vampire canon, or indeed mythology...

So in conclusion (wat?) only read/watch it, if you indeed enjoy a submissive lifestyle, and think real [fictional] vampires suck, because they have too many weaknesses.

Also, I remember seeing Taylor Lautner in Shark Boy and Lava Girl... Quite a departure if I may say so...

Also, cause it is in your location: HARRY POTTER FTW!

Mario The World Champion
September 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Twilight...

Actually when I was still working at that damn tube place, a co-worker and my shift supervisor's daughter were bitten by the Twilight bug. But unlike some Twilight fans they didn't go crazy for it.

Other than that, I don't know anybody else who has been bitten by it.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
September 23rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
I thought that my University Literature class was untouched by the bug...until we were talking about how books are generally changed a lot when made into films, and suddenly all of the girls in my class are talking about Twilight. I could have cried. Especially when they were saying how well-written it is. =.=

Lady Gaga
September 23rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Omg...last year...October-Febuary, every day you would hear TWILIGHT, BREAKING DAWN, EDWARD IS SO HAWT! NO JACOB IS!
All the boys were into it, all the girls were into it. EVEN THE TEACHERS!

...even I was ;;

with the release of New Moon, it will all start again...oh no...
it got annoying after a while >.<

Zeta Patchouli
September 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
...T.T Why must you bring up these memories?

Let me say this right now, I hate the book. Now, put someone who hates the book in a school where about... 200 people go gaga over the book to such an extreme, that I am afraid to voice my opinion. I'm afraid that I would get ganged up on for saying that I didn't like it.

I was shaking in English class when I had to do a project on it, because I knew of 3 crazy Twilight fans. It was a horrifying experience overall.

There are some sane fans, but there are more who are... kind of insane, actually. And it's going to get even worse when New Moon comes out.

T.T I'm scared.

Mitchman
September 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Twilight. *shivers* Just the name chills me. It has hooked a lot of girls and the movies especially hooked a lot of girls here and their behavior towards it is just scary. I stand 5 feet away from twilight fans just so I won't get battered by their 600 page hardcover books for just calling it bland and nothing special. Not to mention I'm a big Mythology and Lore freak so pointing out to them that vampires don't sparkle and are supposed to be feared of makes em go crazier. Twilight has bitten too many people and in all the wrong ways. Vampires shouldn't be sexy unless its in that dark mysterious I'm going to get you one day way.

September 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
I was shaking in English class when I had to do a project on it, because I knew of 3 crazy Twilight fans. It was a horrifying experience overall.

You had to do a project on it? :O

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
You had to do a presentation on it? :O

IMO, any teacher who asks for a reading assignment to do with Twilight, should be shot...

That and interestingly enough, my school offers a course (for 4th years, and is available every few years anyway), explicitly on J. K. Rowling and her works...

Also, I remember a website had made a list of all the conflicts that have erupted from crazy Twilight fans. Namely to what extent they'd go to, to harm someone, who "hurts" their book.

Off the top of my head, a broken leg comes to mind, ummm what else, loosing friendship, stalking... yeah...

Funny thing is, I don't remember this happening to Harry Potter, even amid all the religious (and indeed homosexual) controversy.

poopnoodle
September 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Every single last one of my friends are sucked into the fad. That and "Hannah Montana." I'm just like, where is our generation going?

Funny thing is, I don't remember this happening to Harry Potter, even amid all the religious (and indeed homosexual) controversy.Me neither. The Twilight fans I've seen online are crazy, they don't know how to defend their tastes rationally. Harry Potter was just good, and I hate when people compare it to Twilight. JK Rowling is a mastermind of storytelling and character developing, whilst Meyer is the complete opposite.

September 23rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Mm, I'm not even a Harry Potter fan and I will stick up for it and its fans whenever somebody tries to compare them to Twilight and its...er...fen. It really is a sad day for literature - that as long as a book has a cold, emotionally-dead ~sparkly~ faux-"vampire" (pssht, Nosferatu would totally kick his arse) chasing after a glorified Mary-Sue, it can be considered a masterpiece. :||

Also, yes, I remember that site. It scared my pants off. There was also mention of a girl splashing acid in another girl's face, but I don't think the claim was ever verified. Also, Robert Pattison (or however you spell his name) was so afraid of his fans that he ran out in front of a taxi rather than confront them -.- I mean, wtf? That's got to give the fen some kind of signal. And wasn't there a convention where people went so crazy that they ended up hurting one another or something? Ack.

Captain Fabio
September 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
I am at University, so not really.

But my classmates don't talk about Twilight.
We all hate it! XD

poopnoodle
September 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Nosferatu would totally kick his arseLulz, so accurate.

And yes, those Twilighters are dangerously fanatical. There has been SO much drama at my school over the book, I've even lost friends simply for disliking it. Just ridiculous.

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Lol, I'd never make a video on it, but I enjoy some of the commentaries and parodies of Twilight, on youtube (for the most part). But so far, Stephen King takes the cake, in calling Twilight, badly written.

Captain Hobo.
September 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
People at my school love Twilight, personally i hae it.

Caelus
September 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
I've only read three-four pages from my sister's book, and I can't get into it.
I don't think I've met one who was obsessed with the book, but last year all the girls in my school were talking about it and it got annoying after a few weeks of it.

What I'm worried though is the damage caused by the more obsessed fans. D: Like I said I don't think I have met one but I read about some of them and they really don't respect opinions. Makes me afraid to say anything remotely bad about it. :/

revelp8
September 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I love how people say they hate it, but didn't even give the book a chance [/sarcasm]. I had friends who liked it and friends who hated it "because of the fans."

Gave the books a chance and read all of them. yes, admittedly a few parts are hard to read and digest because bella is so...frustrating, but the rest makes up for it. sure it doesn't follow some of the vampire lore, but honestly who would really know about what or what not a vampire can and can't do.

and still, TEAM JACOB

DonRoyale
September 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
There are two undeniable facts about Twilight.

1) The series is overrated.
2) Taylor Lautner isn't.

/thread

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I love how people say they hate it, but didn't even give the book a chance [/sarcasm]. I had friends who liked it and friends who hated it "because of the fans."

Gave the books a chance and read all of them. yes, admittedly a few parts are hard to read and digest because bella is so...frustrating, but the rest makes up for it. sure it doesn't follow some of the vampire lore, but honestly who would really know about what or what not a vampire can and can't do.

and still, TEAM JACOB

I think more credit can be given to those who know about vampires (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some fans decided to research vampires as a result of the books). Also, I believe that Romances (in general) are a more obvious ummm what is the word, like that the reader either identifies or wants to be the hero, than say with other genres...

Thus one of the reasons why a lot of girls like it. It doesn't take a well written book for someone to have a vivid imagination... So that is why the book ends up being a hit to many...

There are two undeniable facts about Twilight.

1) The series is overrated.
2) Taylor Lautner isn't.

/thread

That's just a bit creepy :P XD

Melody
September 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
IMO, any teacher who asks for a reading assignment to do with Twilight, should be shot...

ogod. I'd tell the teacher straight up. "Please, give me the zero and let me sleep in peace, or give me an alternate assignment. No exceptions."

(I hate Twilight, I hate the entire series. I blame the stupid fans for it. Meeting or hearing of bad fan(s) will turn me off of ANYTHING! Don't waste your breath convincing me otherwise, it's all your fault. xD)

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
ogod. I'd tell the teacher straight up. "Please, give me the zero and let me sleep in peace, or give me an alternate assignment. No exceptions."

Lol XD

Of course, all I had in the past was obscure books (some of which were Canadian) that I never heard about. Though this was a few years back, thus before all these newer books.

Hatenko
September 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Wasn't Taylor Launter Sharkboy?

.little monster
September 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Some people are going to read the title and be like, "Agh! Twilight god I hate it!" Others will spazz-out and go, "OMG OMG Twilight!"
If you're a person who would do either of these, stop, read this, and then post an answer. Not just some totally spazzed out, "Omg Twilight rocks!" or "These movies/books are terrible!" post. Please and thank you~

But anyway, to get back to my question, have your friends been 'bitten' by the 'Twilight Bug'? Was everything they talked about Twilight where you can't go a day without hearing about Twilight? My friends have. I personally love the books, while I enjoy hearing about them and the movies, to an extent. I've got girls in my class that only talk about Taylor Lautner and how hot and muscular he is, I don't disagree though. However, they are obsessed with him.
Opinions? Experiences? Comments?
Proper English, the way to live.

Anyways, I am not obsessed with Twilight, nor have I read the books or watched the movies. However, there is a girl in my Physics class who loves it. She does not talk about it though.

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
Wasn't Taylor Launter Sharkboy?

Indeed he was... >.>

Actually now that I think of it, those random scenes he popped into were *okay*, it seemed rather forced though. (talking about the movie) Oo

Appearently shark boy lava girl, came out 2005, which would make him 12-13 when that film was being made, and probably about 16 when Twilight was made, which makes it even more awkward, considering the followers he has...

Anyways, I am not obsessed with Twilight, nor have I read the books or watched the movies. However, there is a girl in my Physics class who loves it. She does not talk about it though.

That's a good sign she hasn't found anyone else to talk to, about it. And that's also why she probably isn't even defending it (by herself), because she was met with an onslaught of proper naysayers *only hoping* XD

PacmanJones
September 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Twilight... what do I say... my aunt and sister obsessed. read books every day! Girl in my English class has a picture of that Edward fellow on her binder! ugh

Everytime I see that Jake guy in the movies I think of Sharkboy >__> The image is stuck forever! lol

Lana.
September 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Well.

I got into Twilight shortly after HP ended - October 2007. Note that this was before the whole 'cult' and obsessive fans had really come around. I, quite frankly, have this weird relationship with Twilight. I read all four books, though the fourth left a bad taste in my mouth. But I can go on and on about Bella's Mary-Sueness and Stephenie Meyer's crappy writing, but then say I actually enjoy the story... maybe if it had been done well, it wouldn't be half as bad as it is. But the fact is, Bella is a Mary-Sue and Meyer can't write worth anything.

When Twilight is mentioned, I think of Twitards. And they make me grimace. Twilight has the absolute worst fans ever - too obsessive over Edward or Jacob and their teams and everything. (Though I will admit Taylor Lautner is quite attractive. x3)

But no matter what Meyer does, she'll never be J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter ftw. =3

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
But no matter what Meyer does, she'll never be J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter ftw. =3

And those that don't believe as such, will NEVER EVER EVER, pick up a book that is remotely just as good...

Even Where the Wild Things Are, is a book that was done much better than Twilight... XD

revelp8
September 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
And those that don't believe as such, will NEVER EVER EVER, pick up a book that is remotely just as good...

Even Where the Wild Things Are, is a book that was done much better than Twilight... XD

are you kidding me!

where the wild things are cannot be compared to twilight. MONSTERS ARE FTW :D

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Lol XD

Though I actually haven't read the novelization.

I also work at a music/movie store, so I'll regret the time, when fangirls start asking about it... and indeed line up to buy it... Our store had a midnight release, and I thankfully was closing before than, so when it was 10am, girls of all ages were lined up and waiting already...

dotKarma
September 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
The books suck, apparently. I haven't read them, but I hear her (Meyer) writing is horrible.

Not to mention how she killed what people view of vampires as.

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
So I found this by accident (it's not my fault if you are rendered unconscious):

http://ugliesttattoos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/devlin-twilight.jpg

http://ugliesttattoos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/ut-cullen.jpg

revelp8
September 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
So I found this by accident (it's not my fault if you are rendered unconscious):

well im not one to judge...but

I kinda like the first one. the second one however, FIRIN MAH LAZER!!!111!! TEAM JACOB please and thanks.

Feign
September 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
What is it with guys and saying 'team Jacob'?

That's a few times already (not just pertaining to this thread).

Mitchman
September 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I think more credit can be given to those who know about vampires (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some fans decided to research vampires as a result of the books). Also, I believe that Romances (in general) are a more obvious ummm what is the word, like that the reader either identifies or wants to be the hero, than say with other genres...

Thus one of the reasons why a lot of girls like it. It doesn't take a well written book for someone to have a vivid imagination... So that is why the book ends up being a hit to many...

Well to their shock I bet vampires didn't sparkle and where cold blooded murderers with some passion. Not sparkling effing stalker boys who prance about sparkling to the world I'm a Vampire! At least that is what I got from the book after I read it. And a vampire falling in love with a human wouldn't be uncalled for its just that specific nature fits the person into the Anti-Hero category a bit. I dunno why it would even fit into hero. And hell yeah it doesn't. Anyone could read and write a book but only people who aren't exactly read up would read this.

Guillermo
September 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
I go to an all boy school, so no.. but god, when I meet all the girls at the shops all they talk about is Twilight. ._.;

All the guys are like, "omg stfu ;;"

September 24th, 2009, 12:07 AM
What is it with guys and saying 'team Jacob'?

That's a few times already (not just pertaining to this thread).

*puts on a David Attenborough hat* From what I understand, it is logical for the native fans of the Twilight fandom to adopt one of two positions: namely that of "Team Edward" and the vampires (these tend to be the more obsessed, insane fans who scratch out eyes and kick out teeth when a dissenting opinion is voiced) or "Team Jacob" and the werewolves (fans who tend to be more moderate and understand it is healthy for people to have different opinions over things). */David Attenborough hat*

Mitchman
September 24th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Its a classic children's book and twilight is a tween/teen book on sparkling stalker vampires and werepuppies. How can you compare them?

Feign
September 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Its a classic children's book and twilight is a tween/teen book on sparkling stalker vampires and werepuppies. How can you compare them?

Cause I just did XD :P >.>

But no really, it's comparable in that 10 sentences and some illustrations can prove to be a better read than a novel about Mary-Sues...

Lol, woot Attenborough. Oh, I forgot that, in the New Moon trailer, it shows Jacob tranforming instantaneously to werewolf form, in what looks to be like broad daylight. Why is that exactly? Is this just Meyer's excuse to have fantastical beasts (seeing as how vampires sparkle)?

Zeta Patchouli
September 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
You had to do a project on it? :O

Not on Twilight itself... I had to do a project on the book I was reading, and I was unfortunate enough to be reading Twilight for a review that I'm going to be doing soon. (As soon as I can get through The Host, I'll be reviewing both of them)

But it's no less terrifying, you know? I had to botch my report a little to avoid their wrath.

yvette
September 24th, 2009, 03:34 PM
All the females in my school are enamored by Twilight. Except my Media Studies teacher. She said, to all the fangirls in my Media Studies class, that it's badly written. I wish I had the guts to laugh at that minute, but I really didn't want to be torched by a bunch of Twilight fans. Who knows, they might sic EDWARD on me *shudder*. Or Bella's creepy... um, it was a kid, right?

SHE IS THE C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! And my new IRL hero.

Mitchman
September 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Cause I just did XD :P >.>

But no really, it's comparable in that 10 sentences and some illustrations can prove to be a better read than a novel about Mary-Sues...

Lol, woot Attenborough. Oh, I forgot that, in the New Moon trailer, it shows Jacob tranforming instantaneously to werewolf form, in what looks to be like broad daylight. Why is that exactly? Is this just Meyer's excuse to have fantastical beasts (seeing as how vampires sparkle)?
I think it is. New Moon probably translate too Werewolves are now like able to control themselves and change whenever they want which is comeplete bull. I try to spell out mythology and all that to people but they just tell me werewolves are not horrible beasts that change under the full moon and do not savagely kill people but are really guys who can change whenever they want and crazy stuff. Its like Buffy who created good looking Vampires like that but out of control where every girl has vamps and werewolves looking hot and not bloodthirsty at all.

September 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Who knows, they might sic EDWARD on me *shudder*.

Well, you'd really have nothing to be afraid of, then. Pretty much anybody could smack down a sparkly "vampire" with something as small as a toothpick.

Dominus Temporis
September 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I... dislike Twilight. I've been forced to sit through the movie, and frankly I was laughing more than anything. There were a few semi-good moments, but the rest... blah.

I can deal with fans, I know some who are able to take a joke about it. It's just the really obssessed fans who are annoying. There was one girl at my high school who carried around pictures of the movie cast and would not stop talking about it... so somebody decided to play a prank and hide the pictures from her when she wasn't looking.

The reaction can best be described by reading/seeing Watchmen and observing Rorschach screaming "GIVE ME BACK MY FACE!" It was funny and a little scary at the same time (except I had sympathy for Rorschach).

Miss Soupy
September 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM
jflsdjflds
I think about every girl at my school is smitten by Twilight. >____> I personally don't like it, and Bella is a blatant Mary-sue/self insert imho. There was no conflict. All the hardships were evaded to suit Bella-sue and Edward's (sloppily put together) relationship.

Apparently when a person first turns into a sparkly vampire, they're vicious and dangerous to be around. But oh, guess what? None of that happens to Bella. She's too lovable to be vicious. D:

And the Deus Ex Machina pairing in the end was wtfish.

Oh, I had a friend that was a pretty hardcore fan. I think after she read part of Midnight Sun where Edward starts oiling Bella's windows to watch her sleep, she backed off of the series.

BUT.
Charlie was hardcore.
Especially in the movie. He was probably the only character I liked.

Sasuke.
September 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Funny you ask. I was just talking to my friend Nia and her friends and we were talking about Twilight. They got bitten by the "bug"
Lot of them got it from the Movie, not reading the book first, or not reading the book at all so. -__-;

Azumi
September 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM
A close friend of mine is a Twitard. YES, a Twitard. She has 4 Twilight badges on her pencil case, and her schedule book was filled with Edward Cullen. Dear god.

Oh, man, I endured 45 minutes of hell in my English lesson.
We had to do proofreading of a passage, and guess what. It's Twilight. Anyway, I tried imagining that it wasn't Twilight and I was just doing a normal passage. And it succeeded.
Then. THEN. At the end of the lesson, our teacher, who is a male, noticed that a lot of the girls in our class liked Twilight. And when he asked if we would like to watch the Twilight movie, I literally screamed "NOOOOOOO!" Luckily only the teacher saw my disagreements...
Also, we did a book review and I wrote how Harry Potter is better than that "new fad" that Twilight brought us. I just hope he won't read mine out to the class because mine was rather interesting...

DestinyBender
September 26th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Ya know, this movie gets a little boring after a few times of watching it. No offence to the fanatics.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Now, that is to the extreme, what's wrong with people these days?

:t354:TG

Feign
September 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Now, that is to the extreme, what's wrong with people these days?

:t354:TG

Sadly, there are worse tattoos out there, and they aren't even Twilight related... Some of them too explict to show (not because of where the tattoo is, but merely because of what it depicts).

The funny thing, is with a lot you guy guys though :P (that's right), I like how you guys say "no offense", or "sorry". Perhaps that is only because I am not the sensitive type, but when my view is adamant on something, I won't back down from it, because someone else might like it. And if they do take an offense it it, I'd probably say something like "Darn straight." Being it there fault if they get too befuddled by the comment...

But having a good debate on the validity of the book is for another day, though it would be a lot of fun.

sabapple
September 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Urgh, every girl in my school has been 'bitten by the bug', how very annoying. Anytime anyone mentions Twilight you hear a whole bunch of screaming girls..... We had to watch the dang movie today in english, Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I actually have read the books and I hate them still. They were terrible, *Cough* Harry Potter was soooooo much better *Cough* But anyways, it gets VERY annoying when all you hear every day is , 'Bella, Edward, Jacob, Forks, and Vampire,' People went waaaaaaaay too crazy over these books..... Yuck!

Tater Tot
September 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM
The most overrated series in awhile. :[

I've read the books, and they were nowhere near as spectacular as it's cracked up to be. They were good enough to keep my interest, but entirely too overrated. The highlight of the series was the ballet studio scene of the first book, but the rest of the series is kind of dull. :[

Yes, I've read the series. No, I'm not obsessed. Aaanndd yes, the obsessed fans are insane, and it's extremely overrated. D:

Feign
September 30th, 2009, 10:13 AM
From what I've read/seen thus far too, is there is no real conflict... Especially since a few of them are brought under assumptions, and forced plots...

シーツー
September 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have to say that I did enjoy reading the books. And I had read them BEFORE I saw the movie. They're just written so perfectly~
But I honestly can't stand the movie.... The actors don't fit my imagination and I don't know... The movie turns out to be so cheesy XD
You seen the trailer of New Moon? The scene where Bella says "paper cut" was just so ridiculous lol
Im gonna watch New Moon as well because I want to laugh. xD