PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Site Design...

Dr Gregory House
September 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Okay, so I was think about the Route 167 design... and in all its fantastical-ness, I was thinking...
The bar with the User CP, Rules, FAQ links etc could be non-scrolling, so basically, you can access all your quick links from anywhere on the page, rather than being at the bottom of a thread and having to scroll all the way back up.
I hope you understand what I mean XD

Mitchman
September 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
You want it implemented to all styles? Yeah that would be a doozy to do but I dunno.

Ausaudriel
September 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM
http://www.pokecommunity.com/index.php?styleid=173

^ Test style to see how it'd work out. Thoughts?

Citrinin
September 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Personally, I think that feels a bit odd. :x Maybe it's just because I'm not used to it, though, but I prefer it not having a fixed position.

Mitchman
September 28th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Totally worth it. I like it and honestly this would be good to have such a thing on low powered themes(such as the Pokethlon theme someone didn't finish :p) instead of such a high powered theme that causes my PC to lag.

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 28th, 2009, 01:49 AM

I was considering splitting the actual bar with the links in a future style. Including the breadcrumb bar would consume a chunk of vertical screen estate. Can't suggest that it doesn't matter either, because if you use Route 167 in Special Mode you'll probably notice that the top bar practically overlaps any anchors on the page.

Dr Gregory House
September 28th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I was considering splitting the actual bar with the links in a future style. Including the breadcrumb bar would consume a chunk of vertical screen estate. Can't suggest that it doesn't matter either, because if you use Route 167 in Special Mode you'll probably notice that the top bar practically overlaps any anchors on the page.
Mm, well it certainly looks good with it floating there, but I think as you said, it does seem to take up a considerable 'chunk' of screen real estate, as you put it. :3
But I think this would be great if it were developed...
:)

Mitchman
September 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM
The version test is also missing the area where the areas go. Like:
offtopic->fanclubs->Legend of Zelda fan club.

But yeah its a good test and it makes sense.

Forever
September 28th, 2009, 02:00 AM
It looks strange but I actually kinda like it.

I'd vote for it. o3o Note; only if it was optional to have on skins. Like default text/other things.

Shining Armour
September 28th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I agree, and like it, it can be really annoying if someone has a llooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg thread, and you want to go to your UCP. Normally your scrolling for a couple of hours, or you try and click on the tiny little bar on the side that I usually miss the first couple hundred times.

Example:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=187402

.Seth
September 28th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I'm with Nica. I'd vote for it only if it's an option. Because I don't feel it'd be useful in a small thread or a blog entry.

Zorua
September 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM

fffff Audy the ads scroll with the freaking page. ;;

Ineffable~
September 28th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I like it, but I think it would take some getting used to for sure...
I think it should just be an option in the User Control Panel. :P

sky_queen3
September 28th, 2009, 05:06 AM
It looks like a wrestling forum I'm a part of but the bars don't move. Yeah yeah, I know the point is the bar moves but unless we can root the ad in place it's not going to work out right.

And now to be a smartass: I want a new Plusle and Minun based design, who do I talk to/suck up to about that? :)

Timbjerr
September 28th, 2009, 10:16 AM
The only complaint I have for Audy's test style is that when I scroll using the Pg Up and Pg Dn keys on my laptop, some of the overlap that would normally be visible is hidden behind the menu block at the top, but that's easy for me to get around...perhaps it could stand to be a little thinner though. XP

Guy
September 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I like the idea of it and I think if it can be implemented in as an optional feature for theme layouts, then I say why not? I mean it works out pretty well, and does give easier access to the UCP as well as the other site options.

Now, I do realize that as a Supporter I don't see the ads above, but instead below. So, if this could be changed for the regular members in which they won't see the ads moving along with it, then it'll be more so fair to all. But again, I like the idea, but it'll just take some time getting used to at first.

.Seth
September 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM
If this turns out to be implemented, I'd advise against making it the default.
Newer members and members used to the old way will probably be like "WTF" and might make a few threads in CQ/F.

Just a forewarning.

beauty. proletariat
September 28th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I would just suggest putting the rest of the site in a frame if we do use this method. When I scroll up on my laptop I generally highlight text and drag my mouse up and for people like me; the floating bar obstructs view D:

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Try using a vB popup menu with this; doesn't work right.

Dr Gregory House
September 29th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Try using a vB popup menu with this; doesn't work right.
Yesh, mine don't work at all... I guess that makes it a tad- oh yay, can't do formatting either. >>
If this is going to work, it's going to need alot of work. XD

Melody
September 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I don't like it, I can't stand floating, fixed objects on any page, they annoy me to death.

That being said, I'm against this 100%. I can scroll up pretty fast on my scroll wheel, and users who hate scrolling can tweak their mouse settings so that the scroll wheel goes faster!

Azonic
September 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'd like it if just the bar with the User CP could float. If we have the table with the "Welcome, _____" well it'd be just consuming too much space. :(