PDA

View Full Version : The City of Ember (revived)

Deoxys55
October 13th, 2004, 04:02 PM
BECAUSE OF SOME ACTIVITY IN THE OTHER THREAD, IT WAS REVIVED AS A NEW ONE. IT WAS ON MY FORUM, BUT NOW IT WONT LET ME ON, SO UNTIL I GET IT FIXED OR GET A NEW ONE, THIS RP IS HERE.

And if you arent invited to this one, please dont get mad at me.

Okay, for all of you who have actually read the real book called The City of Ember, DONT SPOIL THE EVENTS!!! Oh, and this is an invite only RP. And I know, the book is to Jeanne DuPrau, the wonderful author. ^_^ I will be using events from the actual book, too. Anyway

Plot:

In the world of eternal darkness, there is only on light. The city of Ember. The pokmon that live in this city know only of their world, because as far as anyone knows, they are the only city in the dark land. For as long as anyone can remember, the endless food supply and light bulbs have kept the endless blackness at bay. But now the lights are beginning to flicker

It is Assignment Day, when all pokmon of twelve years of age are given a job. We are a group of friends who have heard rumors of the generator that keeps the lights running. The generator has been messing up, according to rumor, and all the citizens have noticed that the blackouts are getting more frequent

Will you draw the job that will help Ember? Is there a way out? Another city? More food? A way to fix the generator? All is up to chance.

Now, I will randomly choose which job you draw. If you dont want it, trade with someone else, instead of sending me hateful messages about it! I will have a list of the jobs, too, so you can pick the one you want (though that doesnt mean youll get it, its just required info for certain parts of the RP) Okay, acceptable and not acceptable:

Acceptable:

You can bring in up to two additional characters of your own, but only temporarily, and they cant be human. They also are allowed to go off plot for a small while, but they cant change the idea completely.
If you have something to say to someone that doesnt have to do with your RP post, put it behind this: OOC. Example: I waded through the water.
OOC: Im going offline now.

Your pokmon can talk, so you dont have to translate pika pika in every post. ^^;
You can be any pokmon you want, but it cant be legendary. It can be genderless, though.
Remember, your character is only twelve years old, so they cant be super powerful or anything.
You can have up to three characters, just separate each of their views with three stars, if your doing it first-person. (***)

Unacceptable:

Dont SPAM!
No flaming, even if the person is being annoying, at least try to talk it over through PMs, or even better, dont say anything at all.
Okay, it will be acceptable, but PLEASE try to use good grammar. Im not trying to insult anyone here, but really, it gets annoying. Misspellings, we cant help, but you can put periods and commas into your text.
Powerplaying is even more annoying, so dont do it!
If your not having fun, or someone makes you mad, then leave! It doesnt have to be forever, like if youre having a bad day you could take off of the RP for a while, but dont just sit around complaining.

Okay, now, the Sign up sheet:

Name: Doesnt have to be your real one.

Type: What type of pokmon you are.

Personality: If you dont know what your personality is, Im freaked.

Appearance: Is your pokmon Shiney? Missing an ear? Explain!

Favorite job: Choose from the list below which job your character wants. Remember, theres no guarantee youll get it, but it will help with things later on in the RP.

Job list:

Pipeworks laborer You work down underground in the Pipeworks, where the generator is.

Messenger Get to run around a select area of town, carrying messages for people.

Supply Desk clerk Sit behind a desk and take orders from shopkeepers, then send carriers down to the storerooms for the requested items.

Electricians helper fixing dead street bulbs and house lights.

Greenhouse Helper Helps out in the greenhouse.

Building repair assistant Helps repair buildings and structures.

Trash shifter Moves trash from homes to the two giant trash heaps outside of town, at the horizon of the dark world.

Doctors assistant Binds up cuts and give medicine.

Now, these are my characters for the story that you can use as a temporary character to interact with:

Clary, the female Grovile that runs the Greenhouse.

Dr. Felinia Tower, the Chansey doctor.

Mayor Cole, the Raichu mayor of the city.

Mrs. Thorn, the Delacaty class teacher.

Oh, one more thing. There are no trees, grass, water (save for the underground river), or any contact with humans or other cities at all. If I can get the map from the real book scanned, I will, but it's a two page one, so.. It may not come out clear.

October 13th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Can people in the last one rejoin? Everyone loved Skip!

Deoxys55
October 13th, 2004, 04:05 PM
No, this is a completely new RP.

October 13th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Crap. Remember my invite!

Dragon Paw
October 13th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Name: Aura

Type: Espeon

Personality: She is fairly nice though if you betray her or are mean to her she will never let you forget it and will no longer trust you.

Appearance: She looks like a normal Esepon except she is pinker in color and the gem on her forehead is a rainbow of colors.

Favorite job: Doctor's Assistent

parallelzero
October 13th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Name: Wings

Type: Pidgeotto

Personality: Wings is a very solitary Pidgeotto. He likes to keep to himself, which usually leads to him not making many friends. He rarely shows his happy, friendly, side.

Appearance: He basically looks like a regular Pidgeotto, except for the red scarf he wears around his neck, and his feet are black.

Favorite job: Messenger

Flygon trainer
October 13th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Name: Toklata

Type: Flygon

Personality: be freaked. my personality varies.

Appearance: She's a pale ghostly white with amber eyes, and has scars all over her body
Favorite job: building repair

Alana
October 19th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Hi all

Name: Blade
Type: Syther
Personality: Strong and will stand up for those she cares about. She is polite when need be and usually very tollarent. But be warned, its not a good idea to make her mad.
Appearance: http://www.dragonflycave.com/butterfree/images/darkscyther.png
Favorite job: Greenhouse Helper or Doctors assistant

Deoxys55
October 20th, 2004, 01:50 PM
1. Name: Bright
Type: Espeon
Personality: Ongoing, friendly. Has a very short temper, can run almost as fast a a Grovile, and can talk three times faster.
Appearance: A normal Espeon, except her tail. One of the forks has been cut off, leaving her tail like a cat's.
Favorite job: Messenger

2. Name: Zander
Type: Poochena
Personality: He takes eveything seriously. When hot-tempered, he sometimes acts before he thinks. But, he is kind to his friends, whoever they may be. Wants to fix the generator.
Appearance: A once again normal one, but his tail is a bit more ruffled, and his fangs not so long.
Favorite job: Electrician's helper

3. Name: Lizzie
Type: Dragonite
Personality: Talks very fast. She can't fly well, and she is Bright's best friend. She is friendly, and has a bad habit of giggling.
Appearence: A Dragonite with not antenne(sp?), and a purple bow on her forhead.
Favorite job: Greenhouse Helper

Okay, I will begin, and maybe this time the RP will get somewhere..

IC: The graduating students occupied Room 8 of the Ember School. On Assignment day of the year 241, this classroom, usually noisy, was sitting completely silent. The desks were arranged in four rows of six, one behind the other.
In the last row sat a slender Espeon, named Bright. She was genlty whisking her tail about, sometimes turning to look over at Zander.
In the second row was a Poochena, Zander. He sat with his shoulder's hunched, and his tail twitching impatiently.

Dragon Paw
October 20th, 2004, 01:55 PM
An Espeon named Aura also sat in the back row. She quietly looked over the whole classroom before resting her gaze on the Espeon beside her. She then turned her attenion to the front of the class and sat as still as a statue.

Alana
October 20th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Blade sat beside Zander. She looked at the anxous Poochyena and smiled slightly before turning back to the front of the room and watching the teacher intently. I wonder what my job will be. She thought nervously. Though she was nervous she didn't let anyone know it.

Aaryn
October 22nd, 2004, 12:39 PM
ok i wanna join this!

Name: Flame

Type of Pokemon: Blaziken (male)

Personality: Friendly, kind, and very Brave. Will not care to do anything that is needed to do despite of its danger, fearless even if its life is in serious danger, anyways aware of the danger but fearless. Always helping everyone that needs the help and worrying for others. although silent, and not much talkative, more observative, doesnt usually start a conversation unless worried for someone or someone talks to him. Very mature for beeing 12 years old only due to the hard experiences passed thorugh his life.

Appearence: Shiny blaziken http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pkrssh006.gif

Favourite job: Trash Shifter (i like danger)

hope this is ok

here i go!

-----------------------------
Flame entered the classroom throwing a interested stare at the espeon and the poochyena that were sitting together, he found the image sweet, friendly and comprehensive in a situation like this.

Then noticed the tail of the espeon, getting near the couple, he said hello.
Then asked the espeon coldly what happened to her tail.

waiting an answer that seemed to take for ever to arrive, Flame went to the back of the classroom and leaned against the wall ,looking up to the ceiling, waiting for something to happen, wishing these moments would change his life forever and would make him at last discover what he was capable of.

Then he saw the Scyther entering the classroom, its presence heated the room, it looked experimented, and Flame instantly knew that he would make good friends with that scyther. He watched the Scyther untill it went up to him , stared at him for a while and leaned on the wall just next to him.

Flame found this funny laughed for himself and kept on waiting for the moment that all were waiting for .. to come.

Deoxys55
October 23rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
OOC: Aaryn's in, sorry for the confusion.

IC: Someone's foot scraped back and fourth on the floor. Miss Thorn sighed. Then the door rattled and the mayor walked in. He looked annoyed, as though they were the ones who were late.
"Welcome, Mayor Cole," said Miss Thorn. She held out a hand to him. The mayor smiled. "Miss Thorn," he said, enfolding her hand. "Greetings. Another year."
He walked to the front of the room.
"Young people of the Highest Class," the mayor began. "Assignment Day now, isn't it? Yes. First we get our education. Then we serve our city. What will that service be, eh? Perhaps you're wondering. Someting to remember. Job you draw today is for three years. Then, Evaluation. Are you good at your job? Fine. You may keep it. Are you unsatisfactory? You will be re-assigned. It is extremely important for all...work...of Ember...to be done. To be properly done. So. Let us begin. Simple procedure. Come up one at a time. Reach into the bag. Take one slip of paper. Read it out load. Who cares to be first?"

OOC: I will PM ya your job when you draw.

Aaryn
October 23rd, 2004, 10:58 AM
Flame snapped out of it, and look around. Seeing thaqt no one seemed to have any intention to get near the mayor to take their jobs, he glanced at Blade, the scyther and started to the mayor. When he got there, he saluted and took his slip, then closed his hand and went back to the wall where he was leaning. He stopped infront of Blade and throwed a friendly stare and leaned back on the wall waiting for everyone to get their paper...

Dragon Paw
October 23rd, 2004, 11:03 AM
Aura jumped out of her seat and started down to the mayor and the slips. She carefully took one with her paw and regarded the mayor for a few seconds before walking back to her seat.

Aaryn
October 23rd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Flame found the nervous and pink espeon quite nervous and laughed to himself, then he look towards the door and noticed a pigeotto flying quickly inside the clasroom and land carefully next to a flygon that he did not notice before.

The Pidgeotto looked kind of embarrased, but flame realized that he wasnt, it seemed that the pidgeotto did not care at all. The flygon turned its head back to stare at the pidgeotto and then back again to the front of the class.

Flame felt weird now, he realised that he did not know anyone there, but he knew that it wouldnt last for long! if they were to work together, they would end up like friends, so he looked down at Blade and smiled.

OOC: I think we should refer to our characters in 1st person from now on!

Alana
October 25th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Blade smiled back and stood up. She walked to the front of the room and scooped up a peice of paper on her blade. She stared at it then went back to her seat. She looked over at the Blaziken and asked, "So what job did you get?" She said this quietly cause she didn't want to get in trouble in front of the mayor.

Aaryn
October 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Flame, looked back at Blade and answered: " I do not know yet, i think ill wait till everyone gets their piece of paper" He didnt feel nervous, he was excited!!

So he waited till others came up to the table and got their papers...

OOC-DEoxys come on, send us the jobs!!

Deoxys55
October 26th, 2004, 12:35 PM
OOC: Sorry!! I've been busy!!! **Randomly picks jobs**

Alana
October 26th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Blade looked back down at her job and scowled. "I'm a TRASH SHIFTER." She muttered.

Dragon Paw
October 26th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Aura looked at the job written on the slip and weakly grinned. 'Ah at least being a building repair assistant can't be so bad.' she thought.

Aaryn
October 27th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Flame looked at his piece of papaer as the last pokemon in the room took its corresponding paper.

He saw he was a PIPEWORKS LABORER, and he did not like that! He wanted to explore, he wanted risk! Flame wanted to see the edge of the city, where dark can be "seen". SO he looked down at Blade and surprised realized that he had TRASHFHIFTER job, so he coldly asked:" would you mind to trade jobs, blade?"

FLame waited for an answer while the room was getting full of mutters...

Flygon trainer
October 27th, 2004, 08:46 AM
"well, looks like I'm job-less." I said wiht a smirk. ah well, I can't say that being excluded wasn't normal...

Deoxys55
October 27th, 2004, 12:12 PM
OOC: You wouldn't be jobless if you walked up and took one from the bag. XD; **Pokes LP** I'll have to get him on MSN...

Flygon trainer
October 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM
OOC: if you havn't noticed, I've got hands as useless as a tyrannosaurs...

IC: I managed to get a slip of paper from the bag, and started resigning myself to my fate as I fumbled with the paper.

Deoxys55
October 27th, 2004, 12:27 PM
OOC: Okay, I'm PMing your job now. Gr.... DAVID! WAKE UP AND ANSWER MY PM!!!!

Flygon trainer
October 27th, 2004, 12:36 PM
OOC: *throws things at Deoxys*

IC: I finally looked at the sheet of paper, and it read "docter's assistent" great. my entire body was designed to fight, not heal...

Dragon Paw
October 27th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Aura peered down at a Flygon holding a slip for doctors assistant. Aura looked at it again excitedly. Aura then walked over to her with my slip in Aura's hand. "Wish to trade? I have building repair assistant." said Aura.

Deoxys55
October 27th, 2004, 12:48 PM
OOC: IF ya trade while in class, the mayor may catch you. ^_~ FT, I was talking to LP... XD
I shall posty soon, sorry for delays....

Marik4me
October 27th, 2004, 03:41 PM
OOC: I was invited, so here we go.

Name: Crystal

Type: Ninetales

Personality: Cold and withdrawn, doesn't associate with people much, but once she trusts someone, she latches on for life.

Appearance: There's nothing especially extraordinary about her, save for a crystal pendant she wears around her neck.

Favorite job: Doctor's Assistant.

IC: Crystal has been staying behind in the classroom, watching others get their jobs. At last she inches forward, closer to the front of the room.

Flygon trainer
October 27th, 2004, 06:23 PM
"sure, but lets not get caught" I whispered as quietly as I could to the Espeon. after all, building repair was my best job idea...

OOC: yeah, but you still got the one I didn't want, Deoxys!!!

Dragon Paw
October 28th, 2004, 03:58 AM
I nodded. "Meet me after class." I said as I turned and walked back to my seat. I eyed the others to pass the time.

Aaryn
October 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Flame felt weird, now everybody was muttering, and balde didnt answer his question.

He figured out that not to many there were happy with their jobs, so he just thought that it would have to stay like that, so he started towards the classroom door and went out of the room, but something made him comeback, he saw a beatiful ninetales, and thought that he wanted to meet her, so he turned around and headed to the ninetales, and said: " Hi, hope we get lucky with our jobs!..." and waited for an answer.

Deoxys55
October 28th, 2004, 01:10 PM
OOC: yeah, but you still got the one I didn't want, Deoxys!!!
OOC: Luck of the draw. :P

IC:
Breathlessly, Lizzie got up. She walked to the front and pulled out a slip. "Supply Desk Clerk", she read aloud. She walked back to her seat. Bright smiled, but Lizze made a sour face. Supply Desk Clerk was not a bad job, but it was a dull one.
After a few more students went up for theirs, Bright rose, shaking, and walked to the front. She pulled out a slip, unfolded it, and stared for a moment. Finally, she read out, "Pipeworks Laborer."
Almost anything would have been better. Her second choice had been Greenhouse assistant. She imagined with longing the warm, sweet airs of the greenhouse, where she could have worked with her friend, Clary. She sat down, only to recive a look of sympathy from Lizzie.
Zander now, had decided to to go last. He waited impatienly for the others..

OOC: And don't yell at me, I know someone's already got Pipeworks Laborer. But really, think about it, Ember's a really old city. You don't just think they'd hire one person per job, do you?

Marik4me
October 28th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Crystal blinks in surprise at being greeted. Usually she's talked around as if she weren't there. "Hello," she says with a soft smile as she finally goes up to the front and draws a paper. She opens it and reads "GREENHOUSE ASSISTANT."

Oh well, it's not like I really thought I'd get my dream job anyway, she thinks to herself, masking disappointment. And maybe working with plants will be kinda fun. They sometimes need medical help, too, after all.

Alana
October 28th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Blade sighed. Crystal had just gotten the job she wanted. Maybe she'll want to trade. She thought. Then smiled. Theres no way a Ninetales will want to work with garbage.

Deoxys55
October 30th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Zander walked stiffly to the front of the room. He drew a paper, read "Messenger.", scowled, and threw it on the floor. Bright gasped. The mayor blinked, the glared at Zander. "Disgraceful! A childish display of temper! Students should be glad to work for their city. Ember will prosper if all... citizen... do... their... best."

"But Ember is not prospering! Everything is getting worse and worse!"

"Silence!"

"The blackouts! The lights go out all the time now! And the shortages, there's shortages of everything! If no one does anyting about it, something terrible is going to happen!"
Bright listened with a pounding heart. Could things be as bad as he said?

Flygon trainer
October 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM
"What I desire to know is why some of the Legendary Pokemon arn't around anymore. Back when I was a Vibrava, they visited all the time.." I mused, remembering the time I had seen Suicune in the time...

Deoxys55
October 30th, 2004, 03:04 PM
OOC: Yay! I got off my lazy butt and did something for once! I've traced (and edited a bit) the complete map of Ember! 2.1 MB, Takes a while to load:
http://img54.exs.cx/img54/5804/Ember.gif
There. Now it will be easier to navigate through the city. Also, the spaces are buildings, not patches of grass. There is no grass in Ember. ^_~ Oh, and the group meeting place happens to be Bright's house. If you want your house listed on it, PM me the street and location, and I'll pinpoint it! ^^; And please ignore my handrighting, it isn't the best. XD

OOC: The mayor glared at Zander as he stormed back to his seat. "What is his name?", he asked Miss Thorn. "Zander."
"Right. Zander, I will remember this.", with that he took the emty bag and strolled out of the room.
Miss THorn looked around, then sighed. "Class dismissed."
Bright walked limply out of the room. The Pipeworks. They were one of the most dangerous places in Ember. An underground river ran through it, and sometimes someone would fall in and be lost. The pipeworks were also full of vast, dark tunnels, where it was easy to get lost- and not found.
"Bright!"
She turned to see Zander behind her.
"Will you trade jobs with me?" He asked.
Bright gasped. "Trade?"
"Yes. I wanted Electrician's Helper, but Pipeworks is second best.", he held up the crumpled piece of paper, which he had retrived from the floor. "Will you?"
"Oh, yes!!" Bright shouted with joy. They exchanged slips, and Doon walked off. Bright was bursting with happyness. And happyness always made her want to run, so with aflip of her tail she was off down Pibb Street, swung a left on School Street, and went down Murkish Street, headed for home.

Alana
October 30th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Blade was still a bit stunned. She had never heard anyone talk to the mayor like that. But she new zander had spoken the truth. Things were getting pretty bad around here. With a sigh she got up and walked over to Crystal. "Hey Crystal would you like to trade jobs? You'll probably say no but I had to ask."

Dragon Paw
November 1st, 2004, 03:41 PM
Aura knew Zander had been right. Aura silently mused over it as she walked from class. In the hall, she waited patiently for the Flygon to come. 'I hope I don't miss her.' Aura though to herself.

Deoxys55
November 2nd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Bright burst through her apartment door. "Granny, I'm messanger!"
Granny looked up, startled. She was a very old Flareon, and forgot things frequently. "Honey, your a school girl, not a messanger."
"Granny, today was Assignment Day."
Granny looked puzzled, then she smiled. "Ah! I remember now! Messanger.. a good job indeed..." She went on mumbling to herself as Bright's younger sister, Poppy, walked out on her four unsteady legs. Bright laughed, then lept up the stairs with the young Eevee. "Poppy! Your sister's got a job! Are you happy, Poppy?" Poppy giggled and said someting like, "Hoppy hoppy hoppy!" They reached Brights room, and she helped Poppy onto the bed, where they sat and laughed together for a while.

Deoxys55
November 2nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
Name: Genesis
Type: Umbreon

Personality: gloomy sometimes, but happy.

Appearance: shiny

Favorite job: Doctors assistant
Desgardes, you were never invited, and it's too late to join, sorry.

Flygon trainer
November 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
I appeared behind the espeon as i had been destracted right before we were dismissed. it was hard to stay here, as I wanted to flap my wings, but i had ot rely on Levitate.

Dragon Paw
November 3rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
OOC: Switching to first person

IC: I turned behind me and jumped at the sudden apeparance of the Flygon. "Oh well, lets trade." I said as I handed my slip to her.

Deoxys55
November 5th, 2004, 03:56 PM
OOC: No one is posting, and I can't post as the next day until everyone finishes up this day. Post peoples!

Flygon trainer
November 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM
"gladly" I said as i handed my origonal slip to her. with that I floated up a bit, and took off, looking for a deserted area that I could sleep for the night in..

Marik4me
November 9th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Crystal blinks in surprise. Normally no one talks to her. "You got the Trash job, didn't you?" she says. Blade's assumptions are correct; she doesn't really want to get into the garbage.

Alana
November 11th, 2004, 11:31 AM
"Yes I did. So what do ya say wanna trade?" I shouldn't even bother asking.