PDA

View Full Version : Question: User notes?

Alexithymia~
October 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I was on my profile and I saw this:
http://i38.tinypic.com/10z5kdv.jpg
[sorry about the quality of the image..]

I was wondering: What are user notes? What are they for?

I typed 'User notes' into the FAQ but it didn't come up with anything.

Just a little question. Thank you for taking the time to answer my query, if you do so. Sorry if something like this is general knowledge and I've just not picked up on it.

Samme!
October 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I was actually just wondering the same thing yesterday! COuldn't figure it out though >:

Went
October 10th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Usernotes were used by staff to store warnings and name changes before the current automatic systems were made.

Right now, they are pretty much a decorative thing :( They are kept as a last resource in case of a plug-in failure.

Sydian
October 10th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Or staff members put in random things that no one cares about.

Cherrim
October 10th, 2009, 11:34 AM
It's also worth mentioning that the only people who can see your usernotes are yourself and the staff.

Feign
October 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I know in some forum boards (vbulletin) even privatizes it to the user as well.

processr
October 11th, 2009, 12:10 AM
On one board I moderated at we used the user notes just to store information on a user, really. Stuff like "keep an eye out for this member" or something. It wasn't ever used prevalently, and that seems to be the case here. =/

Ausaudriel
October 11th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Back before we had visitor messaging in profiles, the staff used user notes as our own personal spam-boards like VMs. xD It's always fun to look through our old usernotes and feel nostalgic about it and stuff. *dramatic sigh*

Serene Grace
October 11th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Can't you enable it for users who want to keep a quick note about something they need to do? Or will that defeat the whole point of the system since you can see what the staff said about you, I think.

Cherrim
October 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
It could be done, but since we still use it for official business, I'm not sure it'd work too well since we'd have to restrict you from deleting your own usernotes and then they'd be all disorganized, etc.

I'm sure it'd be much less hassle to just install some sort of plugin that gives you personal notes in your User CP.

Guy
October 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I actually have a User Note that Lightning made for me. She made it to keep note that I am really Aero. which is my old account after I switched to this one. So, it is still in use, but like said for official notes that Staff or yourself may need for future reference.

Gumball Watterson
October 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Ugh, THOSE things. User notes were used to keep record of warnings in the old warning system.

I personally see no use in them. And those things only remind me of my horrible self that I repent being 2 years ago. It's... just insane.

Serene Grace
October 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Ah okay, I get it. I guess the plugin could come in handy for someone that needs it, not necessarily me but I know of others who will.

[css-span="color: transparent;"]THIS IS AWESOME!!!! AND RANDOM, I HOPE NO ONE NOTICES[/css-span]

Mitchman
October 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Ah okay, I get it. I guess the plugin could come in handy for someone that needs it, not necessarily me but I know of others who will.

[css-span="color: transparent;"]THIS IS AWESOME!!!! AND RANDOM, I HOPE NO ONE NOTICES[/css-span]
I noticed cause quoting reveals CSS. ;D
Anyway if personal notes could come to PC I would love it as I use drafts in my blog instead.

.Seth
October 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM

I saw what you did there~ ;D

But, anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing some notes function/plug-in in the UCP. I go in there and change stuff quite frequently, so I'd use it.

I think I've heard this suggestion before...

Gerri Shin
October 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I remember a little while ago, someone had made a thread about wanting to save a certain Profile/blog style, if this plugin/ feature were implemented, it could allow the user's to store a limited number of their style codes/ image paths as they would in a regular notepad document, but without the hassle of saving it to their own computers and allow them to access it whenever they need it, wherever they need it.

My 2¢

Ausaudriel
October 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
k, added Dragonfree's beautiful personal notepad addon. Check out your user CP (http://www.pokecommunity.com/usercp.php) to use it.

ShinjisLover
October 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Cool! I like this new feature, actually. Thanks, Audy~

Gumball Watterson
October 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Audy you screwed up I can see my rep. :3

And next to that the Notepad doesn't save your notes. XD

Ausaudriel
October 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM
The rep appears because of the style, I think...

And the notepad saved my notes fine. O.o;

Guy
October 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM
The new Notepad Feature is a great addition to the User Control Panel. It is right there so it isn't hard to miss, plus I know it'll go into perfect use. Even for school it might be helpful since I enjoy coming here so much. xD

As for the saving, it works perfectly for me.
Audy, thanks for the new feature; it is definitely a positive plus.

Netto Azure
October 12th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I like new feature. I remember seeing this in another forum and wondered why we didn't have it. XD

Mitchman
October 12th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Ah a notepad! Finally. I love you Audy and your forum coding skills. *hands out 1 cookie*

Lucy Lu
October 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Oh so that is what it is. It shocked me when I first seen it. Well this new feature will come in handy. There are things I will end up forgetting, but with the notepad I won't have any problems. Thanks a lot Audy! You rock as always. :3