PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a Rom Hack So Popular

NarutoActor
October 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I am talking about hacks like shinny gold,light platinum,brown,crono and infernal legend. What Makes Theys Hacks Stick out so much, Is it because there in the hack showcase or is it there maps, there storyline, there scipts or some magical crisma the authers have.

So what do you think makes a hack SO POPULAR.

SharpPoint
October 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Wheres Naranja? D:

But anyways, I guess it's the combination of all of it. A hack with good scripts but poor maps won't be 'popular'. If it has a crappy storyline but good sprites, it won't be 'popular'. Or at least that's what I think.

NarutoActor
October 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM
:P I forgot about naraja I never atualy plaid the hack for I couldent find a english versian but I have seen some great hacks lacing in at least one area ( I am not going to pin point one hack out)

Mew~
October 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Everything you said in that poll! Not the luck though... why do i say authors? Because everyone loves people like zel, wesleyfg....

NarutoActor
October 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
no I mean lets say theres a rom hacker who's friends with everyone so when he makes a hack all his friends suport him

Pokepal17
October 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM
(Infernal Legend doesn't deserve to be recognised as a popular hack).

It's the amount of effort and creativity put into a hack which makes it popular.
I'll use Infernal Legend, the reason why people liked it was because I put some creative things in there despite the lack of effort.

Ninja Caterpie
October 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Where's "None of the above" or "All of the above"?

A famously famous hack will either be because of one of two things - it's a remake of a game or anime everyone loves and everyone wants to play it (ie. Shiny Gold, Naranja) or it's just really, really well hacked, is simply amazing and it's obvious that the creator has put a lot of effort into it (ie. Brown).

Nothing else really deserves (or gets) fame.

PS. All the good hacks listed use the "8 badges elite four lololol" plot, so maybe that's a GOOD storyline, not a bad one.

NarutoActor
October 10th, 2009, 03:13 PM
(Infernal Legend doesn't deserve to be recognised as a popular hack).

It's the amount of effort and creativity put into a hack which makes it popular.
I'll use Infernal Legend, the reason why people liked it was because I put some creative things in there despite the lack of effort.you had like 8 pages of post I think thats popularity :P
and those were the first couple of hacks that came to mind

and to ninja caterpie
yeah I know that there are more than one reason I was thinking of making the poll multi choice but then I thought everyone would vote for what they thought has the biggest impact
so when every you guys vote, vote for the ones you guys think have the biggest impact on popularity.

The Gambling Gallade
October 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Well, I look into scripts, sprites, new content, and good maps.

But, the one thing that can put those over the top, is Storyline.

For my hack, I might add a few new tiles, but the main thing will be the side quests and the storyline.

Overall, here is how I rank it.

Storyline= 75%
Scripts= 10%
Maps= 10%
Sprites= 3%
New Tiles= 2%

Yoshimi
October 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
All of you are full of bull.
I've seen many great hacks with amazingly talented authors drop incredibly fast because they weren't popular in PC. If you get more popular among the people, you will get more attention. Skills have little to do with it, as long as you have just enough to make them look again for updates. I'm flattered that I was a choice though :3

NarutoActor
October 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
full of bull? I made one of the choices authors charisma so yeah I knew that point existed too thats why I added it :P
And hopefully you ment red bull

SharpPoint
October 10th, 2009, 04:30 PM
full of bull? I made one of the choices authors charisma so yeah I knew that point existed too thats why I added it :P
And hopefully you ment red bull

LOL Full of bull didn't mean red bull. He meant bull['tihs' spelled backwards].

NarutoActor
October 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
(well I hope he wasent talking about me for I did specify the fact that authors charisma is a factor)

cooley
October 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
My hack's not in the Hacks Showcase, but it is popular. People love funny comments in a hack, they also like creativity and good scripts. They become interested and usually keep an eye on it ;)

Popularity also has a curse. It's called the curse of "A-n00b-s" (pronouce it like Anubis lol). You get bombarded with people(n00bs) asking you to do things in their hack and asking you questions and other things lol

mervyn797
October 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM
mapping and scripting, i consider the most important.

Satoshi Ookami
October 10th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Awesome storyline and ability to script it for not remaking hacks.
And as for Shiny Gold as a remake the ability to script events like then happened in original games.
By the way wasn't SG like first hack with shiny poke?

NarutoActor
October 11th, 2009, 06:34 AM
My hack's not in the Hacks Showcase, but it is popular. People love funny comments in a hack, they also like creativity and good scripts. They become interested and usually keep an eye on it ;)

Popularity also has a curse. It's called the curse of "A-n00b-s" (pronouce it like Anubis lol). You get bombarded with people(n00bs) asking you to do things in their hack and asking you questions and other things lol true popularity dose have its down sides, but its like everything in life there are pros and cons
but I think a hack having popularity has more pro's then con's

(I am talking about positives and negatives, not tb pro or con-11)

.Seth
October 11th, 2009, 07:09 AM
It gets popular because if some n00bs see errors in your hack, they point them out, then they'll want you to fix them because "this hack is teh 1337!11" and they'll keep an eye out.

It's basically keeping conversation with n00bs, so to speak.
But (I'm not bragging, seriously :/) because my hack didn't have any point-outable flaws in its thread, then the n00bs didn't see fit to criticize me. And that's why mine died.

NarutoActor
October 11th, 2009, 07:24 AM
so let me get this straight your saying a hack gets popular because of noobs or consevery in a hack

Alistair
October 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM
To be completely honest, most of the hacks here haven't held my attention for more than five minutes. The varying quality between various pieces of one hack is just aggravating to me, let alone this applies to most hacks here.

But from what I can gather, it's really just the presentation of the hack. People will clamor for it if the hack looks good, the scripts appear to run smoothly, there appears to be originality in it, and the thread is very clean and nice to look at (at the start, of course). Another keyword here is BETA. If the beta plays smoothly, instant success.

QuilavaKing
October 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Well, the only hack that has jumped right out at me is Ice version. None of the others have really held my attention. Brown did well because of Datai's walkthrough of it, and I don't even know any other hacks.

The Riddler
October 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
It's really hard to chose only one, because hacks don't get famous with only one thing. But if I must say, It's the scripts (or) the graphics

Team Rocket's Raichu
October 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I think that luck is all that there is. I mean ShinyGold isn't that good. There is better remakes that are complete (plus more) like LiquidCrystal.

The hacks that are popular are just because enough people are like this to there friends "youve gotta play this game its awesome".

NarutoActor
October 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Yes i feel Luck dose play a rule just not a big one :P

Sagiri
October 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
If a hack's popularity was totally up to me, I'd go with scripts. But, it's not totally up to me, and I realize that, honestly, its based on the author/hacker. Good hacks are ignored and, thus, discontinued because the people hacking them aren't known. Sad, really.

Neo-Wolf
October 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
A hack may be popular because of two reasons-
1) It may be really goof.
2) It may be really bad.
The first thing that draws a person towards a hack is the creator and the hack name.
More people would visit a hack by Vrai or someone equally popular rather than a hack by an unknown newbie. ;)
The next thing is the thread organisation. Flashy CSS threads always attract people.
Next, the Screenshots. If you have got mind-blowing tiles, your hack is a success. People like hacks that have great tiles.
Next comes the story and features. If they are also good, your hack officially rocks. :)

sab
October 16th, 2009, 03:58 AM
It's a mix of great scripts and great maps and an interesting storyline. without any one greatness is impossible.
shinny gold: Great scripts, but the rest is mostley a remake.
light platinum: brilliant storyline, and good maps.
brown: great maps, scripts, and storyline.
crono: beautiful maps, and brilliant scripts. also the story line grabs the player.
infernal legend: has the best scripts on average of any hack.

aquadan
October 16th, 2009, 07:35 AM
1) Author
2) Graphics(maps/spirit/css)
3) Storyline

iPooP-On-[Arceus]
October 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
What ever it is i am going fer story line!