PDA

View Full Version : Darker Than Black

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Does anyone watch Darker Than Black the Anime? Personally I find the plot to be very amusing so far and the characters and abilities are pretty cool.

Story(taken from Wikipedia)
Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo (http://www.pokecommunity.com/wiki/Tokyo), altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The heavenly bodies disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people who possess various special abilities emerged. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals, known as Contractors, are able to murder in cold blood. Various nations and organizations around the world use Contractors as spies and assassins, often resulting in violent battles for information. Each fake star has a corresponding Contractor, and they vibrate when their Contractor's power is being used. As such, Contractors are usually identified by their star's Messier catalogue number (http://www.pokecommunity.com/wiki/Messier_object). However, their abilities are gained at the cost of their humanity. They are implied to lack human emotions which includes no aversions to murder, and they are regarded as extremely rational and logical in their decision making. Contractors are thus named because of their need to always complete a remuneration or payment each time their power is used (ex. eating flowers, breaking fingers, drinking blood). It is not entirely clear what happens to one if he or she fails to complete the remuneration. Contractors are described as being psychologically compelled to complete their remunerative task. During the series a contractor does mention a rumor of contractors melting if they don't complete the payment, but it could just be a bluff to impress his captive.

thedestinedblade
October 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Definitely. This show is easily one of my favorite anime. I love the abilities as well and the whole remuneration thing which was pretty interesting too. Hei is one badass character.

So glad they decided to make a second season. If the first episode was indicator of how the rest of the season will be, it's gonna be pretty sweet. :D

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Did you realize the Pizza Hut adverts they had hidden throughout the show?

thedestinedblade
October 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah. :laugh: Srsly, what was up with that?

Esper
October 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I watched a bit of this, but I found it a bit lacking in character depth so I stopped. If there were a manga it was based on I might check that out, though.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 16th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Yeah. :laugh: Srsly, what was up with that?
Not sure, I think they needed funding.

I watched a bit of this, but I found it a bit lacking in character depth so I stopped. If there were a manga it was based on I might check that out, though.
There is a Manga but Darker than Black was originally an Anime not a Manga so I think that the Anime is way better. And what do you mean by lacking in character depth? Contractors are basically all the same. Rational, Logical ect...

Esper
October 16th, 2009, 05:30 AM
There is a Manga but Darker than Black was originally an Anime not a Manga so I think that the Anime is way better. And what do you mean by lacking in character depth? Contractors are basically all the same. Rational, Logical ect...I think you've just made my argument for me. Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to bash the series since I didn't watch it all. The characters just weren't vibrant or interesting enough for me to care about what happened to them.

Too bad about the manga. Derivative stuff is rarely as good as the original.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I think you've just made my argument for me. Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to bash the series since I didn't watch it all. The characters just weren't vibrant or interesting enough for me to care about what happened to them.

Too bad about the manga. Derivative stuff is rarely as good as the original.
I'm not trying to force you to watch something you don't want to(just clarifying what I think) but, the fact that contractors are like that is the driving factor behind the show. Also, it's interesting to note that Hei, is in stark contrast to other contractors because he's like a normal human and just acts like a contractor because he's treated like one.
He actually inherited his powers(somehow) from his sister Bai.
So yeah, the contrast is interesting plus the fact that some contractors
act oddly like Havoc, smiling and generally being happy and Wei Zhijun's humiliation.
The other characters like November 11, MIsaki, and Shengshun Li (Hei's alternate personality) provide the characters emotional development needs for the show.

Kenny_C.002
October 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Pizza Hut, because Code Geass just wasn't enough.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Pizza Hut, because Code Geass just wasn't enough.
What? I never watched Code Geass. What does Pizza Hut have to do with Code Geass or? And what's the connection to DTB?

Bay Alexison
October 16th, 2009, 08:19 AM
What? I never watched Code Geass. What does Pizza Hut have to do with Code Geass or? And what's the connection to DTB?
In the anime Code Geass, there also has been a lot of Pizza Hut adverts. Great, now I want Pizza Hut. XD

Anyways, I haven't watched the series yet, but I plan too after I finish another anime I'm watching. ^^; I heard great things about it and also the premise sounds interesting, so I'll give it a go. Also, yeah I heard about the second season, so yay for getting to the second season after I managed to watch the first one! :P

Hm, I'll probably pass on the manga considering for some reasons I'm not really into manga that derives from an anime series. D:

parallelzero
October 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
The connection with the Pizza Hut ads between Code Geass and Darker than BLACK, I think, was that both shows aired in the same time slot and were both series that had an appropriate setting for it.

As for Darker than BLACK, I started watching it a couple months ago and loved it, effectively cramming the whole first season into three nights (oh the lateness x.x). The concept is familiar in the sense that we have super powered humans, but the terms in which they exist (remunerations, their personalities) make things a little more different, and the characters became really likable before the end was over. And, with what I've seen of the first two episodes of the new season, it's going to be just as good.

As for the mangas, the first is more or less a side-arc of the anime's first season (albeit an interesting one), while the newest manga seems to bridge the gap between the first season and the second season.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
The connection with the Pizza Hut ads between Code Geass and Darker than BLACK, I think, was that both shows aired in the same time slot and were both series that had an appropriate setting for it.
About the setting. I accept that argument but why was it there in the first place? I'm leaning more towards Pizza Hut paying to get adverts in DTB and CG. Or CG and DTB getting funding to be produced. Because Death Note didn't have any as far as I know.

As for Darker than BLACK, I started watching it a couple months ago and loved it, effectively cramming the whole first season into three nights (oh the lateness x.x). The concept is familiar in the sense that we have super powered humans, but the terms in which they exist (remunerations, their personalities) make things a little more different, and the characters became really likable before the end was over. And, with what I've seen of the first two episodes of the new season, it's going to be just as good.
I haven't watched season 2 yet because I'm still trying to finish season 1. I only started watching at the point where MI6 had Havoc(one of my favourites besides Hei and Bai/Pai). So yeah, downloading.

As for the mangas, the first is more or less a side-arc of the anime's first season (albeit an interesting one), while the newest manga seems to bridge the gap between the first season and the second season.I'll try it out then. But I still think original stuff is better though.

parallelzero
October 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM
About the setting. I accept that argument but why was it there in the first place? I'm leaning more towards Pizza Hut paying to get adverts in DTB and CG. Or CG and DTB getting funding to be produced. Because Death Note didn't have any as far as I know.

Oh, Pizza Hut definitely paid them. Death Note is kind of old though, and if you notice the adverts haven't showed up in any series based off a manga. If they were in something based off a manga, they'd seem kind of forced in I think.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Oh, Pizza Hut definitely paid them. Death Note is kind of old though, and if you notice the adverts haven't showed up in any series based off a manga. If they were in something based off a manga, they'd seem kind of forced in I think.
Yes, I noticed that too.

All in all, an enjoyable series with a spectacular protagonist to boot. Yin is in her own way, kind of cool.

The warden
October 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Just watched the entire series one of Darker than Black because I wanted to be up to date before the second season came out, I think it only took me about four days.

So far the new series seems at least as good as the last one and I really hope it keeps it up because Darker than Black favorite Animes, second only to Death Note.

Halfwit
October 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
This is a favourite animé of mine, and one of a very few I'd consider buying the DVD/dub of [er.. so far I have.. mushishi. I'm not a big animé watcher :v] once I have a bit of cash.

I'm a sucker for superpower-type plots, to be honest.. the idea of remuneration is a spiffy one.. plus it has the whole "conspiracy theory" feeling to it.. the disappearing stars, the gates, the contractors themselves.. plus, secret agents! O: like james bond with laser eyes.
also the first opening song is a bit awesome, if emo xD

My favourite character is probably November 11. In fact, that's my username on several forums.. yeah, you can probably tell that i'm not fantastic with usernames.
Though.. my goodness, his dub voice ;_; why? The other dub voices are lovely, but November's accent keeps slipping and changing and it's a bit headachy. Though I'm probably just being picky because he's a favourite, heh.

Huang and Mao are also quite awesome.. and yeah, okay, Hei is spiff.
I did love the russian agents for some weird reason.. shame we didn't see more of them but hey ho.

Just watched the entire series one of Darker than Black because I wanted to be up to date before the second season came out, I think it only took me about four days.

super thanks for the heads up on series 2- i really had no idea that they were actually making one 8D
..shows how in touch I am with animé things, hur.

Also, CC = Amber.
..or.. or not :c

ソラ
October 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Is this anime good?
I've never seen it, but I want to hear it from a fan

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
first opening song is a bit awesome, if emo xD
Emo? But yeah, it is awesome. It's one of my favourites. XD

My favourite character is probably November 11. In fact, that's my username on several forums.. yeah, you can probably tell that i'm not fantastic with usernames.
Though.. my goodness, his dub voice ;_; why? The other dub voices are lovely, but November's accent keeps slipping and changing and it's a bit headachy. Though I'm probably just being picky because he's a favourite, heh.
True. I'm getting confused with all the different dubs. Animax Asia's dub and Funimations Dub if I'm not mistaken. Completely different. I prefer MAo and Huang's voice in the Animax Asia dub but Hei's voice sounds less Emo in the Funimation dub. Maybe It's time to get subs. >_>

Huang and Mao are also quite awesome...[/agreed]

Also, CC = Amber.
..or.. or not :c
True, haven't watched CG yet but planning too.

Is this anime good?
I've never seen it, but I want to hear it from a fan
It is! Haven't you been reading the last few posts?

ソラ
October 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM

True. I'm getting confused with all the different dubs. Animax Asia's dub and Funimations Dub if I'm not mistaken. Completely different. I prefer MAo and Huang's voice in the Animax Asia dub but Hei's voice sounds less Emo in the Funimation dub. Maybe It's time to get subs. >_>
[/agreed]

True, haven't watched CG yet but planning too.

It is! Haven't you been reading the last few posts?
Nope I havent read the last few post. lol. But i'll watch it when I get the time to, just alot of things just been keeping me busy.

Halfwit
October 20th, 2009, 05:47 AM

heh, i didn't even know there was more than one dub :v
..refer back to the fact that i'm not a big animé watcher, because i think that works as an excuse.. maybe..
I've probably been watching the funimation dub [that's the dvd'd one in NA/EU.. right?], though I did watch the sub beforehand. quite a while ago, though, so I can't recall the voices.

ah, the lyrics just made me giggle~
Tsukiakari is rather lovely, too.. and this from someone who isn't overly keen on japanisch music.. considering that, DtB's done rather well musically imo :v

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
October 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Tsukiakari is rather lovely, too.. and this from someone who isn't overly keen on japanisch music.. considering that, DtB's done rather well musically imo :vTsukiakari coupled with Yin sitting on water in a field of white flowers being illuminated by moonlight. Yes, it was lovely. ^^

The warden
November 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I've watched episode five of the new season of darker than black and I want to know who else thinks that the Izuzaki thing is really Shion and his power is an anti-contractor ability, I mean that box looks awfully human shaped and the hole was just about the right place for Shion's face to be under there. Also who else think the scanner they walk though is to detect contractors.

SonicThrust
November 6th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I watched the first couple episodes of the series at a showing and thought it was pretty good. Haven't watched anymore, but the anime is definitely on my to watch list.

thedestinedblade
November 6th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I've watched episode five of the new season of darker than black and I want to know who else thinks that the Izuzaki thing is really Shion and his power is an anti-contractor ability, I mean that box looks awfully human shaped and the hole was just about the right place for Shion's face to be under there. Also who else think the scanner they walk though is to detect contractors.

I think they referred to it as Izanami, but I was kinda thinking something along the same lines as well. The container did look like it would hold a person. Not sure about the scanner detecting contractors, though. Either way, it's still kinda early to guess. I thought the episode was good. Hei seems to have soften up a bit on Suou, and stopped the abuse. :D

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
November 6th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've watched episode five of the new season of darker than black and I want to know who else thinks that the Izuzaki thing is really Shion and his power is an anti-contractor ability, I mean that box looks awfully human shaped and the hole was just about the right place for Shion's face to be under there. Also who else think the scanner they walk though is to detect contractors.I'm leaning more towards the possibility that the 'Izanami thing' is Yin. I'm not sure, but they could be using Dolls for something else this time seeing as in 'Kuro no Keiyakusha' the Police used Dolls, the EPR used Dolls(for entering the gate) and that cult used Dolls(albeit for the EPR).

Since the mystery behind Yin's disappearance hasn't been solved, I doubt that Bones would just kill Yin just like that without a proper explanation. Also, there were a lot of cables in the room with the box. Cables and Dolls seem to go together particularly when used by the Japanese police force. Yin had proven herself to be an exceptional Doll in the last episode though that could be just because of the gate. Another plot is beginning to piece together.

Mizaki also showed some form of surprise or recognition when she saw the Izanami thing. Lastly, I thought Hei had passed his Moral Event Horizon for being so cruel to Suou and all. It seems he's starting to let up on the abuse.