PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Shonen Jump/What are your favourite Shonen Jump manga/anime?

A Pixy
October 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Simple, what do you like or dislike about the world's most populor manga.

I'm now going to list my top 5 favourite Shonen Jump Manga.

5. Eyeshield 21

The only decent sports manga I've ever read, worth a check out, even if you don't like football that much. The story is as follows: Sena is a kid who's always ran away from his problems which have given him Golden Legs, as his teammates like to say. And soon enough he's on the football team, winning, losing, going to Las Vegas (Just Joking), and with a great supporting cast, Eyeshield 21 is just plain good.

4. KATEKYO Hitman Reborn! Hikaru No Go (I'm not sure why I forgot about this)

Death Note would be here, if L didn't die and it didn't go down hill after that so I got the next best thing by the same artist, Hikaru No Go. The story is as follows: Hikaru Shindo finds a Go board in his grand father's attic with blood stains that only he can see. It turns out that this Go board is in habited by Fujiwara No Sai a Go player from the Heian Period. He inhabits Hikaru's body and so begins plot twist after plot twist after giant plot twist, this is just an enjoyable manga that will help hardcore Death Note fans fan something else to fill the psychological thriller void.

3. ZOMBIEPOWDER.

By the creator of BLEACH comes something older, and better. It may be only 4 volumes long and not have an anime, ZOMBIEPOWDER. just wins. The story, once again, is as follows: Elwood is working for a crime syndicate to pay for meds for his sister by pick-pocketing people. Until he attempts to pick-pocket Gamma Akutabi, a Level S Criminal with a metal plate on his face and on his hand too. See, Gamma is looking for the 12,'Rings of the Dead'. If he finds all 12 he can make,'Zombie Powder' hence the title. Zombie Powder is the elixer of life, it can bring the dead back to life and the living immortality. Soon enough, Elwood gets stabbed in the back by his boss who kills the sister he worked so hard to protect. Gamma kills him soon after. Elwood decides to follow Gamma in his journey to find the Zombie Powder, soon meeting up with C.T. Smith, the obligitory, emotionless slab of wood, and Woflina (think Orihime, but she actually does something).

2. One Piece

If you look at my old names you'll see the following: Mystery Treecko, Cadet Falcon and ONEPIECEPWNS. Need I say more? Yes, actually I do. The story, for the second to last time, is as follows: Gold Roger (I could've spelt it correctly, but I'm not for spoiler issues) was the king of the pirates. He attained wealth, fame and power beyond your wildest dreams. Before he died, he said the following," You want my treasure? You can have it, I left everything I gathered together in one place. Now you just have to find it. (FUNimation version)" Ever since, Pirates from all over the world set sail for the Grand Line, searching for One Piece, the treasure that would make their dreams come true (4kids version). Monkey D. Luffy, wants that treasure so he can be King of the Pirates himself. And so begins his epic quest to go into the Grand Line to look for One Piece. With other good main characters, a slow pace at first, but it soon picks up, and cool fights, One Piece holds a special place in my heart.

1. Dragon Ball

"ZOMG, DBZ SUX, THERE ARE LIEK, NO FITES N EET SOUND LIEK THEIR P00ING WHEN THEY POWER UP LOL!" RandomPCschlub. Interesting, you forgot IMO. And I know some people were thinking this weren't you? Don't deny it, you were. But look closer. Do you see a 'Z' at the end? No, you don't. It's just Dragon Ball, you know, the most influencial anime/manga series of all time? Dragon Ball. The story, for the umpteenth time, is as follows: Goku is a small boy who fends for himself in the mountains while gaurding his most prized possesion. A strage golden orb with four stars in it. One day, a blue haired girl by the name of Bulma comes to his home and tells Goku that the orb is a Dragon Ball, if they collect all 7 then they can get a wish. And so begins an epic quest to find the Dragon Balls. With humour, a good supporting cast and no constapation, Dragon Ball is easily my favourite Shonen Jump manga of all time. I mean, you might not like Dragon Ball, but its influence can still be felt in the industry to this day. Doesn't that count for something?

But, there are some things that pizz me off in general about the enlish version of SJ. Let me put them out in steps.

Step 1. FORGET ABOUT 4KIDS

I don't want Ultimate Muscle, I was Kinnikuman the Second. I don't want Zolo, I want Zoro. I don't want Jaiden, I want Judai. Just because 4kids dubbed the anime your translating, doesn't mean you have to abide by them.

Step 2. Let's talk about old manga

What I mean is, why don't you guys bite the damn bullet and begin translating older manga like Kinnikuman and Fist of the North Star. You translated Dr. Slump and they were all running at the same time at one point, what's there to lose? You'd make them populor and they more than deserve it. I want to know what Kinnikuman did but you guys won't translate it.

Step 3. Naruto and BLEACH

Why is it that all of your money has gone into those 2? I know they're populor but for the love of god, you just finished up the Alabasta arc. You just finished. You are more that 30 volumes behind but with Naruto and BLEACH (well Naruto at least), you're pretty much at shoulders. Give everything equal funding so fans like me won't have to read fan-lations.

So, that are just some things you could fix to make your manga a little more enjoyable.

So, what do you think of SJ, what would you do to improve them and what are your favourite SJ manga?

parallelzero
October 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Oh boy, where do I even begin...

4. KATEKYO Hitman Reborn!

Comedy and action? TOGETHER? I know, I'm shocked too, but unlike several other TV shows that try this, Hitman Reborn just nails it. The story is, again, as follows: Tsuna is neither smart nor can he play sports which has gotten him labelled,'No-Good-Tsuna'. Until a baby named Reborn who's in the MAFIA (ORIGINALITY ALERT), tells him that he is soon to be the leader of the Vongola family and Reborn trains him while at the same time helps him grow a group of friends to be in his family. And so follows a hilarious, slightly romance filled story. Oh, and the action comes in when Reborn, literraly shoots Tsuna in the forehead, if Tsuna has regret he'll come back with 'Dying Will', his clothes will explode, he'll get a little fire on his forehead and he'll kick the crap out of who he needs to kick the crap out of. With, yet another, good supporting cast and good humour, KATEKYO Hitman Reborn! does humour and action how I like humour and action.

Why? Why the hell are you so surprised about a combination of comedy and action? So many series have this combination, so I doubt you've really looked that hard... if at all. The comedy isn't even that prominent in the later arcs, which are arcs that are actually good in comparison to the bore of a first arc you just described. My recommendation to anyone who does intend on reading REBORN! is to watch like... the first 10 episodes of the anime and then skip to around Chapter 60 or so in the manga. You'll miss a couple of minor character introductions, but you'll feel like you haven't wasted as much time on fillery content.

2. One Piece

If you look at my old names you'll see the following: Mystery Treecko, Cadet Falcon and ONEPIECEPWNS. Need I say more? Yes, actually I do. The story, for the second to last time, is as follows: Gold Roger (I could've spelt it correctly, but I'm not for spoiler issues) was the king of the pirates. He attained wealth, fame and power beyond your wildest dreams. Before he died, he said the following," You want my treasure? You can have it, I left everything I gathered together in one place. Now you just have to find it. (FUNimation version)" Ever since, Pirates from all over the world set sail for the Grand Line, searching for One Piece, the treasure that would make their dreams come true (4kids version). Monkey D. Luffy, wants that treasure so he can be King of the Pirates himself. And so begins his epic quest to go into the Grand Line to look for One Piece. With other good main characters, a slow pace at first, but it soon picks up, and cool fights, One Piece holds a special place in my heart.

Ah... I have to try so hard to refrain on commenting. But, the art style is just a really big turnoff for me, among other things.

1. Dragon Ball

"ZOMG, DBZ SUX, THERE ARE LIEK, NO FITES N EET SOUND LIEK THEIR P00ING WHEN THEY POWER UP LOL!" RandomPCschlub. Interesting, you forgot IMO. And I know some people were thinking this weren't you? Don't deny it, you were. But look closer. Do you see a 'Z' at the end? No, you don't. It's just Dragon Ball, you know, the most influencial anime/manga series of all time? Dragon Ball. The story, for the umpteenth time, is as follows: Goku is a small boy who fends for himself in the mountains while gaurding his most prized possesion. A strage golden orb with four stars in it. One day, a blue haired girl by the name of Bulma comes to his home and tells Goku that the orb is a Dragon Ball, if they collect all 7 then they can get a wish. And so begins an epic quest to find the Dragon Balls. With humour, a good supporting cast and no constapation, Dragon Ball is easily my favourite Shonen Jump manga of all time. I mean, you might not like Dragon Ball, but its influence can still be felt in the industry to this day. Doesn't that count for something?

I actually never got into Dragon Ball. I loved Dragon Ball Z as a kid, and I can still tolerate it to this day, but I could never get into the original series. It just wasn't anywhere near as epic as Z was (and you can argue this if you want, but I think all of the power ups made things look more epic in the end. :<).

But, there are some things that pizz me off in general about the enlish version of SJ. Let me put them out in steps.

I don't want Ultimate Muscle, I was Kinnikuman the Second. I don't want Zolo, I want Zoro. I don't want Jaiden, I want Judai. Just because 4kids dubbed the anime your translating, doesn't mean you have to abide by them.

I wasn't aware that many people read the English version of Shonen Jump? But hey, listen. They don't care what you want. They care about what will make them money, and keeping the manga names consistent with the anime names will help. If you want the original names, read it online like everyone else or go to Japan.

Step 2. Let's talk about old manga

What I mean is, why don't you guys bite the damn bullet and begin translating older manga like Kinnikuman and Fist of the North Star. You translated Dr. Slump and they were all running at the same time at one point, what's there to lose? You'd make them populor and they more than deserve it. I want to know what Kinnikuman did but you guys won't translate it.

Are you complaining to scanlators or SJ? Scanlators are scanlating all those, and SJ is being smart by not publishing those in English since they're only interested in what will sell. I can guarantee only a small minority of the small minority of English Jump readers would read these older titles.

Step 3. Naruto and BLEACH

Why is it that all of your money has gone into those 2? I know they're populor but for the love of god, you just finished up the Alabasta arc. You just finished. You are more that 30 volumes behind but with Naruto and BLEACH (well Naruto at least), you're pretty much at shoulders. Give everything equal funding so fans like me won't have to read fan-lations.

One Piece is one of Jump's "Big Three" along with BLEACH and Naruto. So you're being kind of hypocritical here. Clearly you have no grasp on the fact that popular = money. Why should they give some random manga nobody is going to read the same funding as BLEACH, Naruto, or One Piece, which all have large, loyal fanbases?

So, what do you think of SJ, what would you do to improve them and what are your favourite SJ manga?

One of my favorite SJ manga, which unfortunately came to a close recently as the brains behind the operation decided to move on, is to-LOVE-ru. It was a lighthearted ecchi-comedy with a likable cast of characters and a simple concept. Alien girl with affinity for inventing strange gadgets comes to Earth, meets our protagonist, falls in love him, aliens hunt for alien girl to be their bride so that they can rule the universe, strange gadgets go out of control occasionally and cause a whole slew of unlikely scenarios.

Then there was Double Arts, which had a relatively short run due to not being popular but had a more unique concept:

A boy and a girl are forced to join hands for all eternity!? In a land ravaged by an epidemic known as "Troy", the only people with healing arts capable of stopping the seizures caused by the disease are the Sisters. Although they have a high resistance to the disease, they are searching for a person who is truly immune, if they exist, so that they can find a cure. The main character is Sister Elraine, one of the Sisters who becomes infected with Troy. But, when she touches Kiri, a seemingly ordinary boy, her seizures stop. Could he be the one!?

Since they were joined at the hands, they learned a very intriguing fighting style through dance. It got cut at Chapter 23 though, so it didn't really get a proper conclusion, unfortunately.

Ultimately, my favorite SJ titles right now are BLEACH and Katekyo Hitman REBORN!

Bay Alexison
October 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hm, I checked real quick and huh, my favorite manga Black Cat (http://shonenjump.viz.com/whatisjump/jumpartist/index.php?bid=118) is a Shonen Jump one. :P Yeah, after watching the anime version of Black Cat, I decided to check out the manga and dang it, I love it. *_* Loads more character development and action in the manga than in the anime.

As far as anime goes, Death Note. Yeah, just love the police feel of it and the concept is original. The characters though I like at first, but then they grew crazy later in the series. XD

One of my favorite SJ manga, which unfortunately came to a close recently as the brains behind the operation decided to move on, is to-LOVE-ru. It was a lighthearted ecchi-comedy with a likable cast of characters and a simple concept. Alien girl with affinity for inventing strange gadgets comes to Earth, meets our protagonist, falls in love him, aliens hunt for alien girl to be their bride so that they can rule the universe, strange gadgets go out of control occasionally and cause a whole slew of unlikely scenarios.
Heh, one of the brains is also the creator of my favorite manga. :P Also, I've been reading a bit of that manga I quite like it so far. Great, it's going to take me a while to read the ending and see why everyone is complaining about it :P

parallelzero
October 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hm, I checked real quick and huh, my favorite manga Black Cat (http://shonenjump.viz.com/whatisjump/jumpartist/index.php?bid=118) is a Shonen Jump one. :P Yeah, after watching the anime version of Black Cat, I decided to check out the manga and dang it, I love it. *_* Loads more character development and action in the manga than in the anime.

As far as anime goes, Death Note. Yeah, just love the police feel of it and the concept is original. The characters though I like at first, but then they grew crazy later in the series. XD

Heh, one of the brains is also the creator of my favorite manga. :P Also, I've been reading a bit of that manga I quite like it so far. Great, it's going to take me a while to read the ending and see why everyone is complaining about it :P

There are a lot of parallels in characters between Black Cat and to-LOVE-ru. One of them is super obvious. XD

Bay Alexison
October 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
There are a lot of parallels in characters between Black Cat and to-LOVE-ru. One of them is super obvious. XD
At the end of Black Cat, he did say he'll bring the characters back in a different manga if he feels like it. :P But dang it, I'm only on the fifth chapter and haven't gone very far yet, so not exactly sure which characters are parallelzero to one another. XD;

Wings Don't Cry
October 20th, 2009, 10:56 PM
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, enough said.

Eпvy
October 25th, 2009, 07:36 PM
The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, enough said.

?

I thought The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was a Seinen?

There are probably a lot of Shonen Jump anime/manga I've never even heard of... But here are the ones I recall at the moment.

One Piece
Eyeshield 21
Dragon Ball
Bleach
Katekyo Hitman REBORN!
Gintama
Naruto

I thought FMA and Death Note were a part of it as well, but I'm not sure of that one.

Also that is the order I'd put them in right there. One Piece being WAAAYYYYYYYY above the rest of them, because the rest of them feel way more generic and they're just stuff I watch when I'm really bored. (Excluding Naruto which I completely gave up on because I thought it was stupid from the start.)

And really I hate putting Gintama down there anywhere near Naruto, but Gintama kind of deserves it since its humor is largely hit or miss and there's nothing more to it than the humor.

DonRoyale
October 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Shonen Jump actually turned me on to Naruto. The US adaptation of the show that came not long after to American shores turned me off of it.

That, and it had the time where it was pretty much The Sasuke Show...

I liked One Piece and I had a bit of interest in Yu Yu Hakusho, as well, but One Piece got stale quickly for me, and Yu Yu Hakusho was always pretty boring.

Never liked Bleach. I always thought it was boring.

That, and as usual with everything I've ever liked, fan dumb ruins it. Friends of mine ruined both Naruto and Bleach by either fangirling over how "OMFGHAWT" Sasuke was, or how "OMFGAWESOME" Ichigo was. It was...annoying. >:V

Wings Don't Cry
October 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
?

I thought The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was a Seinen?

No it's a Shounen Manga, so is Lucky Star if anyone wanted to put that on their list.

digi-kun
October 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM
No it's a Shounen Manga, so is Lucky Star if anyone wanted to put that on their list.

Haruhi definitely isn't a Shounen Jump manga though :/

As far as I'm concerned, I don't pay much attention to what magazines my manga is coming out of, but of the ones I know, it's probably either Buso Renkin or Black Cat

yahiko
October 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
my favorite shonen jumps are
1. naruto
2. medaka box
3. bleach

Shadow Chaos
October 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
1) Shonen Jump is epic.
2) Dragon Ball (and Z) is the best of the best.
3) Best Shonen running: One Piece
4) Naruto is currently stuck in Sauce mode... -_-' (but I still like it).
5) I like BLEACH.

kohei
October 30th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Jump was good in the past, but it started breaking down ever since they:

1. Won't let authors finish a series because it's easy-cash. Like Naruto and One Piece.

OK, One Piece is getting interesting again so it's OK, but Naruto's been a downhill road for as long as I can remember.

2. Started becoming Weekly Shojo Jump.

You do realize a big demographic of Reborn/Prince of Tennis/Gray-man/Naruto etc are females right?
And not just any female audience, but fujyoshi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi_fandom#Fujoshi)?

Is this the right stance a shonen manga magazine should be taking?

I do not hate Jump right now. In fact I buy it weekly.
But I only read Toriko (the gourmet-battle manga no one here ever mentions) and Medaka Box (since it's an uninterestingly loltastic Haruhi clone), since everything else has become stale.

On the other hand, other magazines I buy (Champion, Champion Red) has interesting content starting from the front cover to the back.

Jump should realize that they are not kings of weekly manga magazines anymore.

Bay Alexison
October 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
2. Started becoming Weekly Shojo Jump.

You do realize a big demographic of Reborn/Prince of Tennis/Gray-man/Naruto etc are females right?
And not just any female audience, but fujyoshi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi_fandom#Fujoshi)?

Is this the right stance a shonen manga magazine should be taking?
Even though I think you shouldn't judge a series by what kind of fans are reading it, I agree that Shoen Jump shouldn't cater to fanservice like that. You can do nothing about it though as they're business and will do whatever to please their audience and also getting easy cash, as you mention before.

MithosFall
November 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I really like the manga Naruto. And don't think I just jumped on the bandwagon with the anime and stuff. I got the first 3 books before the anime even got started.

RedJ
November 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
About One Piece.
They plan on making a huge skip ahead in the story, all the way to the Impel Down. They'll be releasing five volumes per month, January-July. So yeah, they aren't just focusing on Naruto and Bleach.

Also-

There is a cure for that- read it online. I don't really see why the names are such a big deal- it's not like they're slaughtering the whole thing like 4kids did.

Taichi
November 11th, 2009, 08:03 AM
And nobody here likes Bakuman.

I've been reading it for a while and it's awesome. Seeing an audio manga of the first chapter helps too. lol

Venusaur♣
November 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM
My favorite would either be Bleach or Naruto

Rainflower
November 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM
My favorite would be Bleach and KHR! I used to love to-LOVE-ru, but it has ended around 2 or 1 month(s) ago. D:

The one I would like to follow are Gintama and Bakuman. 8)

Klacier Arutia Tenceza Rifa Cyouga
November 21st, 2009, 01:59 AM
I am a big fan of most of the Shounen Jump manga and anime, being that the magazine (that I import from a shop) was my first manga anthology.

My biggest favourites are all of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series, Naruto, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Tegami Bachi and Blue Dragon Ral Grad.

Although I found Bleach to be epic, but somewhat more tedious than Naruto...

Lucy Lu
November 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
I love Shonen Jump even though I am girl. My favorites are Naruto and Bleach. And I read some Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Dragonball Z(probably still in print) when they were in print. I remember I read Sandland as well. That was a good short story. I wish I could read the others, but as of late I stopped buying Shonen Jump(the English version).

Oh I did read some One Piece...not a fan. I know it is the most popular amongst the Japanese, but the art really turns me off. I am sorry. Oda is a great mangka, but I am just not a fan of this particular manga. Maybe I can see his other works.

Galukxy
November 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM
best i like is the yugioh series of manga i have volume 4 its great!