PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Wifi Post Count

The Roshi
October 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Just a suggestion. I don't need five people jumping up and discussing the irrelivancy of post counts.

It would be cool to have a separate post count called a 'Wifi Post count' for members that spend a great deal of time in the wifi forums.

Again, it would just be a nifty feature. I fully understand that there are other ways of determining a user's activity.

Zet
October 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Let's also have an Other Trivia post count too! or better yet, show all posts you've made in brackets next to your legit post count. I only suggested the all post count because a friend asked me how to do you see your total post count including non-legit posts.

Yoshimi
October 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
If anything, it should be in your total post count.
There isn't any point in having a separate post count for messages that say "Okay, I'll meet you in 5 minutes on Wi-fi", and quite frankly, I don't see the point in the Wi-fi section having post counts at all.
I see barely any constructive posts, and very little to no potential for a constructive chat.

.Seth
October 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
So you want a count of how much spam you've posted?
*shot*

Kishijoten
October 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Don't want to burst your bubble or anything but, honestly why doe's it matter?.PC already have a working system that adds to your total post count. And besides it be confusing. I mean not everybody posts in the wi fi section anyways. If you think that this is still a good idea I re-think that. The whole idea is a total waste of time because, not only do we have a perfectly fine system for post counts I think PC will be better off without this suggestion. *isolates idea*. For my final opinion this is really pointless. If you want to use this system I rather suggest you draw something saying "wi fi post count" and add posts to your own little system everytime you post in the wi fi.

World King
October 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM
This one will definitely be a "rejected suggestion" stamp; as people have stated, posts in Wi-Fi are usually short and not that elaborate. Not to mention those posts that are absurd and pointless - SPAM, if you must - that usually appear everyday.

I made Wi-Fi my home, I post a lot (sometimes the way I stated above) and I know this idea will definitely get a "no"; otherwise, I'd have oh-so-many posts...

Ooka
October 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah, a majority of the posts there are stupid, although I'd agree to the idea suggested in this thread about having your "unofficial" post count in brackets beside your actual one.

Although I'm doubting how much the staff actually implement ideas that are liked in this section, as I posted a thread about a week back that quite a few people agreed with, including upper staff members, yet it was never implemented.

Eliminator Jr.
October 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Just a suggestion. I don't need five people jumping up and discussing the irrelivancy of post counts.

It would be cool to have a separate post count called a 'Wifi Post count' for members that spend a great deal of time in the wifi forums.

Again, it would just be a nifty feature. I fully understand that there are other ways of determining a user's activity.
There's not really much reason to deny this other than pointing out the irrelevancy of post counts. I wouldn't really care if it's there or not, I don't look much at it now and still wouldn't if they implemented this, so don't think I'm against your point. Just explain why you want it, other than "it'd be cool". That's like asking someone "why is X your favourite Pokémon?" and getting a reply "because it's cool" - it doesn't really explain anything at all.

But yeah, I've got no complaints with this being implemented, I just don't really see why it's needed.

The Roshi
October 29th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Loads of regular discussions are filled with irrelevant posts as well. Most people post just to get their post counts up. Do you really think anybody cares what somebody's favorite eeveelution is? Or that somebody is truly interested in sharing an opinion on the worst TM ever? How about the ever-popular "Who is better: Pokemon X or Pokemon Y?"

Again, this is a suggestion not a discussion. Quite frankly I don't care about your opinions and the fact that my reason seems very shallow and stupid. This is a suggestion for the owners of the PC forums. If I wanted to talk about it I would have posed the question: "What does everyone else think?" and there wouldn't be a 'suggestion' prefix.

Josephine
October 29th, 2009, 02:32 AM
You can't stop people from giving their opinions, is that really how you think this works?

Staff aren't going to make a decision purely based on what they think is best, seeing as there's another 100,000+ members who might have something to say about it.

That's what this section is for, bringing up suggestions for staff to see while they also take in everyone else's reactions and opinions on the matter.

I personally don't think the extra post count is needed, just seems like another e-penis extension.

Amachi
October 29th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I can see why you want it - the more active someone is in the WiFi section the more likely you are to trust them. At least, that's how I'd feel, so I don't think it's fair for you all to assume that he's worried about post count for the sake of it. It's the easiest way to judge how active someone is, aside from bringing back rep (and we all know how that turned out, LOL).

Melody
October 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM

First of all, let me open up with this bit of advice. Telling people not to do something, especially on a forum like this, is suicide. They will do it anyways.

That being said I don't feel the need for such a thing. We don't need 'unofficial postcounts' you can easily click on a persons' name, go to their profile and search against all of their previous posts/threads. If you're too lazy to do this, that's not our fault. Personally, when I do make a trade, I look into the users' previous trade threads and see if they are indeed reputable. Then I approach them via PM.

Loads of regular discussions are filled with irrelevant posts as well. Most people post just to get their post counts up. Do you really think anybody cares what somebody's favorite eeveelution is? Or that somebody is truly interested in sharing an opinion on the worst TM ever? How about the ever-popular "Who is better: Pokemon X or Pokemon Y?"

Again, this is a suggestion not a discussion. Quite frankly I don't care about your opinions and the fact that my reason seems very shallow and stupid. This is a suggestion for the owners of the PC forums. If I wanted to talk about it I would have posed the question: "What does everyone else think?" and there wouldn't be a 'suggestion' prefix.

This is pretty weak for an argument. You must understand that even though a conversation IS inane, in your eyes, it is STILL chat. The whole reason for preventing certain areas of the forum from counting toward your post count is to prevent trolls, spammers, and otherwise disreputable types from easily achieving the requisite number of posts to unlock images, and linking, as well as preventing members from achieving the 5000 posts necessary to obtain blog privileges. Pokemon General is a prime example of simple chatter, you discuss all things pokemon, even inane questions like "Do you like Swampert or Mewtwo" fit in the context. It actually takes some token effort to reply to these sorts of threads, especially when you are trying to abide by the rules of the community. By requiring a certain amount of posts, to unlock certain functions of the forum, the community gets the chance to assess new users and make sure they're not an advertisment bot, troll, or otherwise disruptive user.

I can see why you want it - the more active someone is in the WiFi section the more likely you are to trust them. At least, that's how I'd feel, so I don't think it's fair for you all to assume that he's worried about post count for the sake of it. It's the easiest way to judge how active someone is, aside from bringing back rep (and we all know how that turned out, LOL).

Ah yes. I have to agree, there is always a need to see how active and reputable a trader is, but you, as well as I know, that if we introduce a trade reputation system that this is likely to be abused as badly as the reputation system was. Therefore I feel that the only way to properly assess a person you are about to transact with, is to visit their profile and see for your self what kind of person they are. VMs make a good system to communicate, and also see what kind of person they are, especially if you see people complaining about trades in VM. Yes, it's true, a user could delete all VMs that look bad, but if you look with a critical eye, you can spot these deletions easily. Also, one can assess the quality of the trading threads, how well they document each offer, and what the reactions in these threads are. (Are they locked by a mod because they cheat you by trading hacks?) These sort of signs are un-eraseable, and are hard to defeat by usual means.

Now, I am aware that the administration is working on a system that might work to assist users in assessing a person's trading reputation and such, which is resistant to abuse, but this as you know takes time. :P

As for previous comments made about suggestions not being implemented, not all of them are as good as they appear. Most good suggestions are somewhat half baked, and it's left up to the staff to fill in the blanks. I know this because I've posted several half baked ideas myself. Not only that, but the staff also has to analyze how a feature might or might not be abused, as well as looking into how bad the community needs a certain feature. If we added too many features, it might cause less traffic, because pages with more scripts, coding and such do take longer to render, as well as transmit. The admins have to consider a lot of things when you think about it.

Blaziquaza
October 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM
We woudn't need this.Not being mean or anything.

Lady Gaga
November 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Post count does not matter at all. It is just a number.

Alakazam17
November 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Most people post just to get their post counts up.I seriously doubt that. I didn't join PC because I wanted a massive postcount. I joined because I was a Pokemon fan who wanted to socialize with other like-minded fans. And I'm fairly certain that's the primary reason for many others.

About the topic of this thread, I do find it questionable that posts are not counted, but I'm fine with it. I try to make my posts meaningful, having never even attempted to bypass the 25 character limit in there(even though that's the only forum where such a thing is allowed, heh).

Though of course, there is a lot of SPAM and pointless messages all around the place, moreso than it'd be worth modding(in my opinion, anyway). And despite all the well constructed posts around there, I suppose it's better to have a bunch of intelligent posting not counted than it is to have such a myriad of "b on in 5 filler filler" posts counted.

Therefore, while I have mixed feelings as to whether there should be post count, I don't think there ever will be, and I don't mind. ^^

Kishijoten
November 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Post count does not matter at all. It is just a number.

That is correct. There just number's. What makes you want
a separate system for wi fi posts?. I mean it's already adding to your post count...it shouldn't matter anyways.