PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: New BB Code (Marquee)

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
i had recently been promoted to Administrator of another site a few weeks ago, and was trying to figure out something neat to add, so I figured, NEW BB CODE!
So I made a BBC tag, and thought PC would like it as well!

All ready to go into vBulletin's BB Code Manager!
<marquee direction={option}>{param}</marquee>

For non-computer savy members here that want to know what a marquee is, a marquee is a nice little feature to use when you want some text to scroll across the screen.

An example of how this tag could be used...
[marquee=right]THIS TEXT WILL COME FROM THE RIGHT OF THE SCREEN

ALSO
If the tag gets added into the BB Code list, You could also give the users here a more definitive control over the marquee, since "direction" is not the only thing that can be controlled. (Others including the width of the marquee, the number of times it repeats, and the speed of the marquee)

An HTML version of that can be found below.

<marquee {option}>{param}</marquee>

An example of one of those being used can be found below as well.

[marquee=direction="right" behavior="slide" width="50%"]THIS TEXT WOULD SLIDE IN FROM THE RIGHT, AND STOP ON THE LEFT

This IS just a suggestion for a cool BB Code to be added to the BB Code list, so I thought I would bring it up! Have a nice day all.

wakachamo
October 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Are you serious? Are we back in the 90s?

Hell no.

Kishijoten
October 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Are you serious? Are we back in the 90s?

Hell no.

Mine as well put a sign on it.

But,I think that the BB code we have works perfectly fine. So, I don't think we really new one. Let's just subside this suggestion as of right now. Doubt we need it anytime soon.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM

But,I think that the BB code we have works perfectly fine. So, I don't think we really new one. Let's just subside this suggestion as of right now. Doubt we need it anytime soon.

Well of course we don't need it, but hey you know, it wouldn't really hurt anything.
It is like the sound clip's, we don't really need it, but it is fun, heheh.

I figured it could be used to have something run down the sides of someone's Hack thread, like a falling pokeball, it could make for interesting signatures too, as you could have a GIF of one of the players running across the area of your signature, you know?

but keep in mind I never said it was needed, and I agree, the BB Code list is great, just thought it would be fun, heheh.

ALSO
Granted there isn't a single reason to add it, I pretty much made it a copy/paste job for any Admin to do add, so I guess there would be no reason to NOT add it either.

Gumball Watterson
October 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Well we sure didn't need the music clip one but it's still fun. We sure don't need this but it's still fun as well :D

Maybe this would go as a fine addition...not to mention it could finally attract the attention of those idiots that post about game help in the CQF.

Myles
October 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
If this was available, people would no doubt spam it in there sigs and it would get really annoying just to look at the page.

øbliteration
October 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Let's just subside this suggestion as of right now. Doubt we need it anytime soon.

I sense a new Spey on the horizon. It isn't a new BBCode per se, it's just an addition to the current BBCode.

Like the josephine quote.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Let's just subside this suggestion as of right now. Doubt we need it anytime soon.

I sense a new Spey on the horizon. It isn't a new BBCode per se, it's just an addition to the current BBCode.

Like the josephine quote.

There isn't a marquee BB Code though, so it WOULD be new, heheh.

Gumball Watterson
October 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
If this was available, people would no doubt spam it in there sigs and it would get really annoying just to look at the page.

That's why there are wonderful things called rules, and even more wonderful thing called "Parsers". I believe the BB to HTML parsers can detect abuse of those tags like it censors out words.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Yeah, it probably would be used in a lot of signatures.
Much like the CSS tag, and the Sound Clip tag.
It would certainly draw attention to a user though, like if they wanted to show off a thread of theirs, or advertise their forum. (Since that it only allowed in a signature.)

Myles
October 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
That's why there are wonderful things called rules, and even more wonderful thing called "Parsers". I believe the BB to HTML parsers can detect abuse of those tags like it censors out words.

So what, have marquees banned from sigs altogether? Because anything constantly moving like that would be distracting when you're trying to read the posts.

Gumball Watterson
October 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
So what, have marquees banned from sigs altogether? Because anything constantly moving like that would be distracting when you're trying to read the posts.

So are GIF images, so don't complain, you see those all the time and get used to them like a good internet habitant.

AtomicoExploda

Wow, I've been looking through a few topics in this section and you always turn them down. =/

Personally, I think it'd be a pretty nice addition to the BBcode list.

Chesu
..But... Without a marquee, how will my sprite and text roll across the screen, annoying everyone who sees it?!

They see me rollin' http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/Chesu/Video%20Games/Zelda/goronroll2.gif They hatin'

See? Stationary! Only a minor annoyance!

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM

The Admins would have to add something like that to their server, from what I know about vB, nothing like that exists though...
Though it may entirely be possible!

Good thing there ARE signature rules already, like preventing a user from making their signature content "Float" out of the signature area, meaning, you can't use the "UP" direction in a signature.
Well... you could, but you would have to make a CSS Style box, since marquee loops within the HTML area it is written, and since the CSS-div tag just goes from BBC to HTML, the marquee would only loop within the CSS-div box.

Myles
October 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
So are GIF images, so don't complain, you see those all the time and get used to them like a good internet habitant.

Believe me, I've seen a lot of GIFs and a lot of marquees in my day, and while GIFs have the potential to be more annoying than marquees, they are no where near as abused. A simple animation doesn't compare to a marquee. For a GIF to be more annoying it would have to repeatedly flash or move like a marquee in the animation, though marquee usage is a lot more common.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Believe me, I've seen a lot of GIFs and a lot of marquees in my day, and while GIFs have the potential to be more annoying than marquees, they are no where near as abused. A simple animation doesn't compare to a marquee. For a GIF to be more annoying it would have to repeatedly flash or move like a marquee in the animation, though marquee usage is a lot more common.

Well, if GIF's and Marquees bother you in Signatures, why don't you just turn signatures off?
I mean, since signatures are SO DISTRACTING, you can simply click "User CP" and then do to "Options", scroll down a little ways, and disable Signatures.
You can also disable Images, Avatars, and Smileys, amongst other various things.

Now please don't try to come up with OH SO TERRIBLE things about marquees, they are not that annoying.

Kishijoten
October 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Wow, I've been looking through a few topics in this section and you always turn them down. =/

Personally, I think it'd be a pretty nice addition to the BBcode list.

Well personally and honestly. I turn them down for a reason. It's just the idea doesn't seem well that important.
You can say it's a good idea all you want but, hey we all have our own opinion. I don't say no for no reason. I say no because, I actually do have a reason.

Myles
October 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Are you kidding? Marquees are famous for being annoying, many a meme has resulted. The Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquee_tag) for it has its first section dedicated to outlining the annoyances of marquees. Just search it on Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=marquee+tag) and everyone is complaining about it.

Hiroshi Sotomura
October 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Excuse me while I laugh.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ha.

Nobody adds non-standard HTML tags anymore. Certainly not Internet Explorer-proprietary ones. Nobody. We actually removed <GLOW> tags for the same reason, actually.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Well personally and honestly. I turn them down for a reason. It's just the idea doesn't seem well that important.
You can say it's a good idea all you want but, hey we all have our own opinion. I don't say no for no reason. I say no because, I actually do have a reason.

Mind posting that reason?
I kinda want to know your opinion on the matter.

Rukario
October 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Welcome to GeoPokies (or is PokeCities?) your 90's web haven..
next someone will want animated sparkles for their bg..

I say, thanks for the idea, but no. NO.

Drew
October 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Nobody adds non-standard HTML tags anymore. Certainly not Internet Explorer-proprietary ones. Nobody. We actually removed <GLOW> tags for the same reason, actually.

I remember those glow tags.. used them when I was noob.

>__> Moving on..

I think Marquee here is just.. no. xD; In my opinion anyway, because people would severely abuse it. It's not very often that you see tastefully done marquee messages, they used to be trendy, but these days they're more like a nightmare to people's eyesight. D8;

Kishijoten
October 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Mind posting that reason?
I kinda want to know your opinion on the matter.

I think they already gave you a reason. But, the idea isn't all that important. Just because, sometimes it's only a matter of appearence.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM

>__> Moving on..

I think Marquee here is just.. no. xD; In my opinion anyway, because people would severely abuse it. It's not very often that you see tastefully done marquee messages, they used to be trendy, but these days they're more like a nightmare to people's eyesight. D8;

Yeah, I'm one of those people that manage to pull off nice effects using marquees...
It really is the only tag from that 90's period I would end up using.

I wasn't here for glow, lol, but I can imagine THAT getting really annoying.

Well, pretty easy to tell this wont be added, can someone close this? Not really needed at this point...

Ausaudriel
October 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
You mean you used them a few days ago? :O

... kidding, kidding. <3 You know I love you. :3

But yeah marquee tags = bad. v_v;

Myles
October 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I'm one of those people that manage to pull off nice effects using marquees...

Really? It doesn't sound like it:

I figured it could be used to have something run down the sides of someone's Hack thread, like a falling pokeball, it could make for interesting signatures too, as you could have a GIF of one of the players running across the area of your signature, you know?

One of the very few good uses of marquees would be for a stock ticker.

I wasn't here for glow, lol, but I can imagine THAT getting really annoying.

It's only an outline, it doesn't animate or anything.

But anyway.

Mika
October 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I'm curious, can't you do a mini marquee in a song in your sig? o3o Instead of the song title I've seen people put little messages in the song bbc code.

Shouldn't that suffice all your marquee needs if you really need one? ^^;

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm curious, can't you do a mini marquee in a song in your sig? o3o Instead of the song title I've seen people put little messages in the song bbc code.

Shouldn't that suffice all your marquee needs if you really need one? ^^;

o.0 I never even... Wow, thanks, I never actually thought about that, problem solved.

And to Myles, I was just giving examples... No need to keep bashing me.

Myles
October 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM
And to Myles, I was just giving examples... No need to keep bashing me.

When did I ever put you down? You're the one that started mocking me with sarcasm... ._.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
When did I ever put you down? You're the one that started mocking me with sarcasm... ._.

I have yet to even once be sarcastic.
I'm being serious, I thought this would be a good idea, but 50% of everyone who posted here didn't like it.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you seem to find every way possible to make it seem like I am a retard or something just for even suggesting it.
I've never posted a single sarcastic remark on this site without also posting some sort of indication that I was sarcastic, like JK or like a simley.

I personally see no point in continuing to post in this thread, Hiroshi blatantly laughed at me, with no regards or apologies, it would be nice, but no.
Yes, I am butthurt over it, but it was simply rude, and coming from an administrator, surprising.

Myles
October 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Since when did I do anything like that? All I did was say how terrible marquees are, why are you taking it personally?

As for the sarcasm, I was talking about this, which I sure hope was sarcasm, because otherwise o.O:

Well, if GIF's and Marquees bother you in Signatures, why don't you just turn signatures off?
I mean, since signatures are SO DISTRACTING, you can simply click "User CP" and then do to "Options", scroll down a little ways, and disable Signatures.
You can also disable Images, Avatars, and Smileys, amongst other various things.

Now please don't try to come up with OH SO TERRIBLE things about marquees, they are not that annoying.

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Since when did I do anything like that? All I did was say how terrible marquees are, why are you taking it personally?

As for the sarcasm, I was talking about this, which I sure hope was sarcasm, because otherwise o.O:

Meh, kinda half sarcasm, but the point was there, if you don't like animations of GIF's in signatures, you can turn them off...

And about saying you were bashing me, you weren't, it was more my suggestion, in either case, sorry.

stranger
October 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Ew no, we might as well all go around dressed like this.
http://www.dressthatman.com/gallery/DEZstillgroovin.jpg

I thought we'd left those things behind us and moved on from our primitive ways ;-;

0m3GA ARS3NAL
October 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM

I think they already gave you a reason. But, the idea isn't all that important. Just because, sometimes it's only a matter of appearence.

I can't even understand what you're saying because of your terrible grammar.

See, this is what I was afraid of, this is a flame war waiting to happen.
Can a MOD close this thread?
The tag wont be made, and this is an argument waiting to happen, please close?

parallelzero
October 29th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Closed, as per creators request.