PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: After I missed a few VMs a number of times...

>Feelings<
November 24th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I thought of something...

If the idea is too annoying, tough, useless, or anything in that line, then it's something else.

But recently, I had this idea about VMs because of missing a few VMs a number of times when I didn't want to.
What if I could be notified which VMs I didn't answer to? Bad idea?

Another one:
What if I have a way of knowing who I have sent VMs to in the past without adding them to my friend list and without them ever sending me a VM... ever?

Forever
November 24th, 2009, 11:31 PM
If you mean grouping the unread ones together in a mass notification... then (for example) those who have over 1000+ VMs, and have only replied to about 50, would be facing a list of over 1000. That could lag the user. :( And listing them as individual notifications would be worse.

However, if there was an icon or something next to the VMs you haven't replied to then it would be easier to identify them, therefore a better idea because it wouldn't give the users a massive list. The only flaw with that would be if a user gets over 50 (or any large number really) or so VMs before they get to reply, then they are more likely to miss a few VMs. And even still, if that were the case they could still read back a few pages and see what they've missed by the little icon (as mentioned at the start of the paragraph.) Although I don't know whether this is possible, but I would support it.

Aaaand, knowing who you've sent VMs to in the past without adding them to your friends list? Um, I'm assuming you mean users that have VMs disabled for those other than the ones in their friends list. In which case, I don't know how this would work. Unless there was some sort of list in your profile showing who you've sent VMs to similar to the top posters list in individual forums but still, I don't think that would work well.

>Feelings<
November 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
If you mean grouping the unread ones together in a mass notification... then (for example) those who have over 1000+ VMs, and have only replied to about 50, would be facing a list of over 1000. That could lag the user. :( And listing them as individual notifications would be worse.

I understand that. And that's why I newly suggest that if such an idea was ever to be implemented, it notified only up to the last 10 VMs not replied to at any given time.
This works even for individual notifications, because 10 isn't that much.

However, if there was an icon or something next to the VMs you haven't replied to then it would be easier to identify them, therefore a better idea because it wouldn't give the users a massive list.

That is also a good alternative. But I think this idea and my older idea could be thought of together to pick the points to make a better system, if possible and worthwhile.

Aaaand, knowing who you've sent VMs to in the past without adding them to your friends list? Um, I'm assuming you mean users that have VMs disabled for those other than the ones in their friends list. In which case, I don't know how this would work. Unless there was some sort of list in your profile showing who you've sent VMs to similar to the top posters list in individual forums but still, I don't think that would work well.

That works as a vague form of an idea.
And what I actually meant was like this example:

Let's say I sent you a VM for the first time, and you didn't reply to it. After that, I waited for an answer to it, but after a while forgot that you even existed because of waiting for too long.
Then I wouldn't even know that I ever sent you a VM because there is no other way to remember.
Makes sense?

Melody
November 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Well, all of this is a pretty good idea imo, but I personally have never really put a priority to replying to VMs. It would be cool to be able to look at a specific VM and see an icon that would show up if you've replied to it.

It wouldn't hurt to have a list of who you've VMed, who has replied and ect. VM stats would be pretty neat.

I propose that we also have filters for viewing VMs. Like...show all VMs that are x days old, that have not been replied to or read, ect..ect... much like threads and posts can be filtered. :p

All of that being said, I know it sounds crazy and possibly undoable, but hey, we can always pitch this to the folks who write vBulletin and see if they like it. (then maybe we'll see these options some day?)

>Feelings<
November 28th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I think this newer idea is nice too.

We, or specially I as an individual know that there is a good chance that a lot of these things might be tough, impossible, or not even worthwhile, but that's why I suggest...
This is just hoping to such a system can actually be made.

Personally, I've regretted not replying to a lot of VMs earlier that I would want to reply to if I didn't forget, and so I ask.
As an individual, I know I feel ignored and start getting negative to the person not replying about 50% of the times, and I don't want to face the same. But yeah, the other 50% time, I know they are just busy and not replying.
But when circumstances come up when I reply to the other VMs but not to a specific one, it feels clear to the other that I'm ignoring them, which itself is clear that I don't wish to talk.
People may have different views and opinions like you Smeargle, but this is me.