PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Things in FR/LG

zephern
December 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I just rembered how anoying the FR/LG Elite 4 was.

I decided to replay Fire Red because I had nothing else to do until I got my new laptop, and I finaly got to the E4 and past it yesterday night.
It was seriously frustrating... Well, mainly Loreli and the Champion.
My team consisted of a Pikachu, Charizard, Vaporeon, Pidgeot, Nidoking and a Primeape.
They were all between the levels 54-41, and I spent an hour getting past Loreli...
Not to mention draining the Rival's Starter Pokemon of Hydro Pump and his Alakazham.

I forgot how difficult it was getting past that Lapras. Really annoying.

So, here's my question:
What things really frustrated you in FR/LG and why?

Live Update King
December 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Has to be Professors Oaks Intro :)

Marin52
December 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, the E4 is really difficult. Well, I had both FR and LG, so I had all 3 starters xD. But anyways, it was waaay too difficult for my, well, underleveled pokemon. I never had a wish to train. My pokemon were all at lvl 55 max. And that is only for the 3 starters. Others were weak like lvl 25 executor and eevee and lvl 9 pidgey.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
December 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Rock Tunnel. It's not that the Pokemon there are tough, it's that there's so many of them (even if you use Repel, there's still a load of trainers) and that drains your PP of moves in a hurry. I had to leave to head back to the Pokemon Center at least twice because I ran out of my best moves.

Also the shoving boulders puzzle in Victory Road. That's been a pain and a half since the RBY days.

hectord25
December 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
The battles were more slowest,in ru/sa the battles are more fastest than FR/LG.
The same thing happen in diamond/pearl,and platinum battles are more fastest than diamond/pealr

Ayselipera
December 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Rock Tunnel. It's not that the Pokemon there are tough, it's that there's so many of them (even if you use Repel, there's still a load of trainers) and that drains your PP of moves in a hurry. I had to leave to head back to the Pokemon Center at least twice because I ran out of my best moves.

Also the shoving boulders puzzle in Victory Road. That's been a pain and a half since the RBY days.

Stole the words from my mouth. :o

Rock tunnel is the hardest most annoying cave a pokemon game has ever made me walk through. Its way to early in the game. I only have 2 or 3 of my main pokemon by that point.

BHwolfgang
December 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
I still think that the Pokemon League was the hardest part of FireRed/LeafGreen. Well, the rematches are. I mean, did each Elite 4 member gave steroid to their Pokemons since the last time I've battled them?!

Besides that, I thought catching Mewtwo was hard, especially when I chose not to use my Master Ball.

GlitchCity
December 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
the thing that bugged me most is that a trainer can see you all the way from the other side of the screen.

Ruinido09
December 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Drakkhen SNES If you have ever played it, then you should know there is no need to ask why its so frustrating.

Amore
December 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM
uhhhh.....well....

Rock Tunnel.too confusing.hate caves,at least Sinnoh's simple

Victory Road.too complicated. Although, Hoenn's is the worst.

Mt Ember +Rock Smash and Waterfall.Do we need the flippin things?really?5 Hms is brilliant

TheAppleFreak
December 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
The E4... On all of my playthroughs I've never been able to beat it (I lose will over time). I actually got the farthest in it during a joke runthrough; I overtrained a Charizard to epic proportions (say, Lv. 70) while keeping everything underleveled at Lv. 30 (more or less); somehow I got up to the Champion, but died to his Blastoise. I was mildly surprised and not-so-mildly annoyed.

Poke_a_Dialga!
December 27th, 2009, 03:29 AM
The most fustrating thing in my firered (in real cartridge) I used a masterball for LAVITAR. I dunno why but I used it.
The rematch of the league was easy though (since I got 5 Lv100s in my party :P)

Talli
December 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Most annoying thing?

They took away MissingNo, No more dupating master balls...

yaminokaitou
December 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM
The different font colors drove me insane. Also, "GEODUDE used ROCK THROW!", and having to walk inside of the buildings. But those are in every game, so I guess that doesn't count.

Klofkac
December 27th, 2009, 03:53 AM
"GEODUDE used ROCK THROW!"
What frustrates you in this? It's normal battle moves are in capitals prior to 3D generation.

chaos11011
December 27th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Once before I forgot to get the moon Stone in Mount. Moon :( (I had a Nidorino for quite a long time)

ThwackX
December 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Rock tunnel is a nightmare.

Maelstromk
December 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
idk
I remember the originals being alot harder..and I did kinda beat the Elite 4 in one go (all pokemon lv 48-49)
maybe it's just me..but I found the Sevii Islands to be alot more frusterating just because of the multitude of things to do in such a small area...

the thing that bugged me most is that a trainer can see you all the way from the other side of the screen.

YES!!!!! I mean the whole proportioning the game so it fit on the screen just bugged me..everything seemed very...very..small

Ninja Caterpie
December 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
The E4... On all of my playthroughs I've never been able to beat it (I lose will over time). I actually got the farthest in it during a joke runthrough; I overtrained a Charizard to epic proportions (say, Lv. 70) while keeping everything underleveled at Lv. 30 (more or less); somehow I got up to the Champion, but died to his Blastoise. I was mildly surprised and not-so-mildly annoyed.

Don't train six Pokemon. Stick to two/three and you will be fine.

I beat the E4 with a level 54 Charizard, a level 53 Raichu and a level 53 Hitmonlee. No grinding necessary.

Game Over1375
December 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I thought the Elite Four was gonna drive me insane, and I'm talking about the second time you fight them! I remember the first time I made all the way to the Champion, only to be pwned by Tyranitar.

BREAKINGBEN
December 28th, 2009, 06:24 AM
E4 the second time through (The Sevii Islands give you experience, but not enough...). It was hard enough the first time, but then they just HAD to gain 10 levels on ya!

Tails2000
December 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Definatly Loreli's pokemon! I can only kill Jynx easly, the rest are a pain to KO DX

iLaxbe!
December 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Most annoying thing?

They took away MissingNo, No more dupating master balls...Exactly, why cant i catch my mew and missingno. etc.? i wanted the glitches back!! LOL

Seriously now, the most frustrating thing is that you can't have 2nd or 3rd Generation Pokémon before beating Elite Four. It's annoying, it's stupid and senseless. Other frustrating things should be: you should get the Running Shoes earlier, and i don't like that Battle Tower, the foes' names should be related to those in GSC Kanto, i'd like to Dive in Seafoam Islands or climb a Waterfall to get new items, something like that

I think this is it.

mynightmare
December 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I hate that theres only one moon stone in Mt Moon. I wanted to do a Nidoking & Nidoqueen run but I'll have to wait until the Rocket Arcade to evolve one of them. =(

iLaxbe!
December 29th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I hate that theres only one moon stone in Mt Moon. I wanted to do a Nidoking & Nidoqueen run but I'll have to wait until the Rocket Arcade to evolve one of them. =(
http://www.psypokes.com/rby/walkthrough/mtmoon.png
Actually there's anoher moon stone there. It's hidden under the red mark. And it is still there in FRLG.

And you can catch Clefairies too.

fenyx4
December 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Let's see...

1. The fact that the only things you can do post-game (other than training Pokemon) are either rebattling the Elite 4 or doing the Trainer Tower challenge. Both get really repetitive after a while. I'd say Sevii Islands as well, but the plot there doesn't seem that long...

2. The lack of Emerald's 'updates', such as the EV-reducing Berries and the usage of certain abilities (Synchronize, Flame Body, Compoundeyes) out of battle. Being able to have more control over the natures of legendaries along with increasing the chance of finding wild Chansey holding Lucky Egg (in the Safari Zone) would've been a major plus.

3. Some of the visuals (the font was OK, I guess). However, I really prefer the RSE Red (overworld sprite that appears in Emerald when you're battling/trading with a FR/LG player) than the FR/LG Red. But I guess the FR/LG style was supposed to go for a more retro look, I guess.

Also, it's a minor weird thing, but if you play FR/LG for a while and switch back to Emerald, the HP Bars in Emerald seem really skinny/thin for a while until your eyes readjust.

4. And the most annoying thing for me, the 60-Pokemon count requirement for the National Dex, plus the Ruby and Sapphire Key Item quest to trade with RSE.
Since no one around me had FR/LG, I had to do the grueling task of completing the game 3 times from scratch to get all the Starters plus the Legendary Dogs. That includes assembling a team that has to be able to both prevent the Dog from fleeing and find a way to nullify the Roar factor. Because if the Dog happens to Roar you away, the Pokedex shows its location as "AREA UNKNOWN" right after that, making you pretty much screwed. If I'd only known about HG/SS sooner... :( :t243: :t244: :t245: I mean, Pokemon is fun, but all that repetitiveness should not be needed just for 6 Pokemon.

That's pretty much it for me. I'm just glad that "catch x amount ofPokemon" requirement is nowhere to be seen in DPPt or HG/SS. :D

mynightmare
December 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Where is the red mark? I looked all over the tunnel and the only red I seen was my hat. XD

InfernoRogue
December 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM

Oh my gosh, yes! I totally agree with you! Especially those times when you are heading to a pokemon center when your pokemon have low HP, and you think you can easily sneak past a trainer. They are off screen and you think you're safe, but then they pop out of no where and challenge you. >_<

JeTz
December 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Rock tunnel that bother me most..

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
January 1st, 2010, 07:30 AM
I love Rock Tunnel because of all of the Experience Points it gives XD I always pack a couple of Escape Ropes, then just beam back out whenever my Pokémon get tired and start again. :3 Poor unloved Tunnel. Mount Moon is more annoying for me because unless I've played FR/LG or RBY over and over recently, I can't find my way around. At least with RT you're guided. :x

The most annoying thing I find about FR/LG is the fact that you can't run indoors. That's pretty much it.

altariaking
January 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
rock tunnel frustrated me...

Buizark
January 1st, 2010, 06:09 PM
I just hated Victory road.

Nintendork15
January 4th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I agree the E4
really got on my tits
i mean c'mon goivanni pokemon ar lv 40s
and then loreiliand oin the 50's i mean im only lvl 46 gimme a break
a big break
i need a kitkat A lot of KITKATS

RedRose
January 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Most frustrating for me was Alter Cave. I spent about two hours trying to figure out what it was for. Also annoying was Victory Road and for some reason, all the words written IN ALL CAPS.

Maybe that's just because I'm weird though XD

Gary Oak FTW
January 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM
After playing 4th gen games for a while then playing through LG,I found it very annoying how you can't run indoors.

xxashxx
January 9th, 2010, 10:19 PM
The Team I used in FR/LG to beat the E4 was Charizard Mewtwo Raichu Aerodactyl Lapras and a random 6th Pokemon. Remember Lapras in the E4 Has Shell Armor so you can't get any Critical hits on it which can be annoying. You just need a really strong Thunder Type move to pound Lapras. Jynx All you need is a Fire or Ghost type move and the rest are pretty easy except Gary's Tyranitar and that is weak to water so Surf on Tyranitar to smoke that Pokemon.:)

santi
January 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM
i hate misty and his damn starmie

GreenGyarados
January 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM
None of my Pokémon could learn Flash, so I spent forever in Rock Tunnel.

Amore
January 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Lol.Yeah.Rock Tunnel is rubbish.

But my major grouch at the moment is that you can't get a decent water pokemon until you go surfing.And i need Super Rod for Poliwag.

Soul Silver
January 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Can't believe no one has said this earlier but mine was the fact that Soda Pop & Lemonade didn't work on the guard to Saffron City. I spent ages trying to find out why he wasn't taking it. Who knew after ten years he had developed a taste for tea.

That and the aboved mentioned gripe about the legendary dogs which I still havent got yet.

Ochigi
January 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Pokemon League.It pisses me off..Especially with lance & Agatha...But,For agatha take an eevee.its moves dont do anything to eevee(ghosts specifically)

MizuJosh
January 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I have no vices with LeafGreen and FireRed. They are essentially the originals, minus the glitches, plus bonuses. However, I wish Bite was a Normal type move again. I loved my Wartortle with Normal-typed Bite. >.<

I love the games so much.

Ninja Caterpie
January 10th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Pokemon League.It pisses me off..Especially with lance & Agatha...But,For agatha take an eevee.its moves dont do anything to eevee(ghosts specifically)

...and then eevee doesn't do anything to them.

Smart.

At least get a stronger normal type.

Skillpadde
January 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
i hate misty and his damn starmie

:cer_eek:

How when legendary dog hunting, you need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the Pokedex to get to its entry, and when you close the menu, you need to do it all over again instead of Suicune already being highlighted in the Pokedex when you open it...
Drove me mental.

Engimal
January 10th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Elite 4 for me.
I haven't played in a while but I (think) my team was:
Charizard (lvl 100) MewTwo (lvl 90 something), Ditto.. That's all I can remember.. Blastoise was an arsehole lol
I'm gonna search for my Leaf Green game soon :)

chaoticfables
January 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
This. Incredibly annoying.

Spikey-Eared Pichu
January 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have no personal gripe. If you utilize the V.S. Seeker, the Elite 4 are nothing. The only annoyance to me is the Legendary Dogs thing...I want my Suicune ;-;

Raykon
January 14th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Elite four, defiantly. And Mount Moon was also yet again frustrating for me.

Machop
January 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM
The most annoying thing I find about FR/LG is the fact that you can't run indoors.
I totally agree.

Oh, and after I finally managed to get out of Rock Tunnel with 5 fainted pokemon and the remaining one at like 1 HP with no PP left I got challenged by a trainer >.<

vandy160890
January 16th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I got frustrated in the intro in which Prof. Oak is telling us about Pokemon.I tried many things to let it pass fast but it won't do any good.

xxashxx
January 16th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Can't believe no one has said this earlier but mine was the fact that Soda Pop & Lemonade didn't work on the guard to Saffron City. I spent ages trying to find out why he wasn't taking it. Who knew after ten years he had developed a taste for tea.

That and the aboved mentioned gripe about the legendary dogs which I still havent got yet.

Yeah it took me awhile to figure that out too but it only took me 2-3 days though.:)

Caelus
January 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Victory Road is my least favorite part of the game. >_> It's bearable, but I hate having to traverse it.

Rock Tunnel was also annoying, especially if you didn't have flash, though that was a much bigger problem in the first gen..

Soul Silver
January 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah it took me awhile to figure that out too but it only took me 2-3 days though.:)
Yeah I just kept doing other things until I had to find the solution in order to get to SILPH co

Charaxes
January 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, the catching the Johto Pokemon part bugs me. And I never got my Suicune, either. Although, the fact you can't catch all three in one game like you could in G/S/C is particularly irritating.

white lancer
January 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM
The National Dex, mostly. I would have loved to have been able to play through either FR/LG or RSE with Pokémon from either generation, but they just had to spoil my fun with that little addition. :(

And the absence of the Mew and Missingno glitches.

FalconsDrummer
January 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
It's been a while since I played all the way through one, and I usually don't have much trouble with them. However, I do remember having an extremely difficult time with the "rematch" with the Elite Four in LeafGreen once. I'm not sure that I ever got all the way through it that time before I gave up.

SuperShuckle94
January 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Listed from least annoying, to most annoying.

5. No WaterBlue- Now, I know this one seems a bit stupid, but I heard that they had trademarked the name and nearly wet myself. Maybe it was a lie, a rumor, but I would have kept the box if it had Blastoise on it. And the manual. And maybe even the plastic wrapping. I'm biased I guess, I like the other two, but I ADORE Blastoise. XD

4. Removal of MissingNo- I'm awkward. I feel as if MissingNo, rather than being shunned for being a glitched pokemon, should be salvaged and remade into a real pokemon. This was the perfect opportunity.

3. No go for Johto- Please excuse the stupid rhyme, but it seems that with this being made after G/S/C that we might get Johto. We didn't. Instead, we got the Sevii islands. Now, the Sevii islands aren't too bad, but it's no secondary region.

2. No second challenge- Nope. Nothin'. You can't even challenge the leaders again. This makes the point of my next one.

1. TRADE BLOCK- You have to beat the Elite four, have a certain amount of Pokemon and get both the Ruby and the Sapphire to Celio in order to trade in pokemon not originally in the game. Why is this a bad thing? You'd understand if your favorite pokemon wasn't from Kanto. After you've finished the requirements in order to trade, there's absolutely no story left, which means all that's left for your prized pokemon is senseless grinding. That's it. Grinding. At least Emerald attempted to remedy this with the Battle frontier.

Toxicroak
January 20th, 2010, 07:34 PM
the stupid pokedex, they wrecked it with the category system : /

Xebelleon
January 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM
The eternity it takes to get past the tutorial text stuff of the controls and Professor Oak was annoying. A skip button would have been great.

Lt. Surge battle sucked.

Adri-chan
January 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Trying to catch Mewtwo without a Master Ball was the absolute worst.