PDA

View Full Version : DirectX hates me and my laptop :'(

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
January 15th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Welp, I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for this -.- I've read Zet's guidelines and tried Googling several thousand different terms, none of which come up with a whole hill o' beans. Or even a tin. Or a bean. ):

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 1705. It came pre-installed with Vista, but with its installed 1GB of RAM and no way to upgrade (I tried on Crucial Memory, but 1GB is all this one's got) it was of course slow as muck. So my Dad gave me his Windows XP installation CD (perfectly legit; and it had 1 installation left on it). I installed it on the Amilo and whilst the OS works, there is absolutely no sound whatsoever. And when I open some programs that require sound (RPG Maker is a good example), it says there are no DirectX audio drivers.

The real problem is that my Amilo now refuses to recognise my NetGear wireless adaptor so there is absolutely no way of getting it online. I went back through my Dad's collection of PC Gamer/Format CDs looking for a DirectX install that didn't require the internet, but they're all weblinks so that stuffed me. I also tried downloading 9C on my Mac and transferring it over to install, but again, it needs to connect to the internet to do so and...I can't. :/

So eventually, I found a DirectX 6 install on an old Daikatana CD and think 'brilliant, cracked it'. Well. Er. No. Almost as soon as you click "install DirectX" button, a dialogue box comes up and says "DirectX has been installed! :D" or "Re-Install DirectX!" But still, no sound, and there is no DirectX folder in my Program Files or Windows folders.

I'm at a really lose end here, so any suggestions anybody has would be really appreciated. tl;dr DirectX won't install and I'm grumpy. Halp?

Zet
January 15th, 2010, 05:43 AM
DirectX has audio drivers now? I did not know that, nor do I know much about DirectX itself, besides it's use for gaming. Have you tried looking searching drivers for your sound card?

January 15th, 2010, 05:47 AM
DirectX has audio drivers now? I did not know that, nor do I know much about DirectX itself, besides it's use for gaming. Have you tried looking searching drivers for your sound card?

I'm a real idiot when it comes to things like this, but several programs have mentioned a failure to find DirectX Audio Drivers and Dad (who's pretty good with PCs) seems to think that DirectX = sound.

I've Googled for those drivers but most of the results are dodgy-looking websites or drivers for entirely the wrong laptop. :/ When I go into my Device Manager on my Amilo, it says that I don't have a sound card. Same with Control Panel > Sound and Audio.

Gerri Shin
January 15th, 2010, 07:32 AM
The Amilo Li1705 series does not support Windows XP so the drivers cannot be found via the Fujitsu-seimens website.
If an Audio card does not show up in the device manager, then you will need to figure out what chipset is in the system and update the driver for that, because the audio is integrated into it.

TheAppleFreak
January 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I'm looking at the chipset of your laptop; it appears as if the VIA VN896 + VT8237A chipset. The VT8237A contains the integrated audio card that XP won't recognize.

After searching on VIA's website (the chipset manufacturer), I found this link to what appears to be the sound card driver for your chipset.
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/HDA_V500b.zip

Download this onto your computer, unzip the file, and I'm assuming there's an executable in there (it'll be either an .exe file or a .msi file; I'm not sure, since I'm at school). Try that.

twocows
January 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Did you bother to download drivers for your adapter? Most adapters don't work out of the box, you'll have to download drivers. Which is stupid, if you think about it (though usually, they're on a CD...).

January 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Did you bother to download drivers for your adapter? Most adapters don't work out of the box, you'll have to download drivers. Which is stupid, if you think about it (though usually, they're on a CD...).

Yeah, my Netgear adaptor doesn't come with drivers on a CD, but a slip of paper with the URL to where you can download the drivers (kinda reminiscent of 'Is your internet broken? E-mail us on...'), which I did on my Mac. I've installed the drivers on the Amilo several times but the actual program refuses to open. Sigh. VISTA STRIKES BACK. D:<

I'm looking at the chipset of your laptop; it appears as if the VIA VN896 + VT8237A chipset. The VT8237A contains the integrated audio card that XP won't recognize.

After searching on VIA's website (the chipset manufacturer), I found this link to what appears to be the sound card driver for your chipset.
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/HDA_V500b.zip

Download this onto your computer, unzip the file, and I'm assuming there's an executable in there (it'll be either an .exe file or a .msi file; I'm not sure, since I'm at school). Try that.

Oh wow, thank you for doing all that! I'll try it now and let you know :D!
ETA: We have sound! I'm going to try installing DirectX now and seeing if the fact it didn't know I had a sound card was what was stopping it ^^ You're a star, thank you so much! :3

I don't even know what a chipset is ;_;

TheAppleFreak
January 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
No problem! A chipset basically is the circuit board inside the computer which handles the various computer functions (sound, internet, video, basically everything, etc.). Operating systems like XP, Vista, or 7 have basic drivers which can interact with these boards and produce basic results (i.e. the computer turns on), but to get the most out of the board, you need specific drivers to interact with the chipsets (But you probably knew that already :P). I'm assuming that XP has only basic drivers for the VT8237A, and no drivers for the sound card.

January 16th, 2010, 10:55 AM
No problem! A chipset basically is the circuit board inside the computer which handles the various computer functions (sound, internet, video, basically everything, etc.). Operating systems like XP, Vista, or 7 have basic drivers which can interact with these boards and produce basic results (i.e. the computer turns on), but to get the most out of the board, you need specific drivers to interact with the chipsets (But you probably knew that already :P). I'm assuming that XP has only basic drivers for the VT8237A, and no drivers for the sound card.

I didn't understand a word of that XD It let me install DirectX too, so that must have been the problem :D

Now I've just got to figure out why it hates my NetGear drivers >.>;

twocows
January 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, my Netgear adaptor doesn't come with drivers on a CD, but a slip of paper with the URL to where you can download the drivers (kinda reminiscent of 'Is your internet broken? E-mail us on...'), which I did on my Mac. I've installed the drivers on the Amilo several times but the actual program refuses to open. Sigh. VISTA STRIKES BACK. D:<
Give me the URL and I'll upload the relevant stuff; put it in a folder and start the "add new hardware" wizard and have it browse to that folder to look for drivers.