PDA

View Full Version : People who speak down the 3rd Generation

FreakyLocz14
January 17th, 2010, 01:07 PM
The "distinguished" Pokemon fans love to speak bad about the third generation.
They always call it the worst of the four, but in my opinion the fourth generation takes that title.

Ruby/Sapphire had the most hype for me as their American realease approached. My dad pre-ordered Ruby for me and Sapphire for him and we anxiously awaited their realease and once we played theme loved every minute of them on our original Game Boy Advanced.

I still have the Groudon coin I got for pre-ordering. These were the only games I ever had on pre-order as a child and were my second most hyped with only the 1st Generation topping them due them being my first time ever playing Pokemon.

I currently have both HeartGold and SoulSilver on pre-order but at 19 I'm hardly a kid anymore.

Amore
January 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah.As far as i'm concerned, 3rd Gen were the best games (my first).4th gen are the best for trading

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
January 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Er. Proof that the majority of 'distinguished' fans talk the Third Generation games down, plox? Hoenn may have been unpopular, but FireRed & LeafGreen are highly praised almost anywhere you look. :/

Also...what is the point of this thread? Ooooh, okay. It's a "what rocks about Gen III?" thread. I can dig that. :B

(And it's "talk down", not "speak down").

Moltres111
January 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I have to agree with you, FreakyLocz. The third generation was the first one I ever played, and I fell in love with Hoenn. Especially Emerald. The plot was amazing, there were interesting pokemon, and of course, an amazing Battle Frontier.

I get so incredibly pissed off whenever anyone says "uhuu, too much water and too many tentacools, this region sucks! *cries*".

That makes me absolutely sick. The worst thing is, they have managed to avoid this handy little item called "MAX REPEL" that you can buy in the Lilycove department store.

Hoenn was amazing. The water routes were not boring. They took you 5-7 minutes if you were smart and used a Max Repel. But people still whine about it.

The water routes fit the region's differing natures in my opinion.

iLaxbe!
January 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM
You're right, though Pokémon from 3rd generation differ from other, due to the change of main designer (Sugimori went to direction), there's no reason for pointing them as the worst. Things change, and Pokémon needed to look more detailed for grown fans, but they didn't become digimonilised as some say. After all, 3rd generation was the most revolutionary gen, and so will be the fifth. I'm sure of it.(And it's "talk down", not "speak down").
Good english advices, milady.

FreakyLocz14
January 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
The third Gen introduced the most changes in game mechanics than any other Gen.
EVs, the 31 IV system, Natures, abilities, double battles, expanded berries, more held items, change in how shininess is determined, etc.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
January 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I get so incredibly pissed off anyone says "uhuu, too much water and too many tentacools

Yeah, I've never understood the THERE'S TOO MUCH WATER OMGS argument, either. The Hoenn games centre around a battle between Land and Water (Magma and Aqua, Groudon and Kyogre) so it would make sense to have as much water as there is land. And you get as many random!attacks in Caves and Grass patches as you do in Water. :/

However, I can't stand Double Battles. They're my one complaint against Gen III. -.-

Enigma
January 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I Loved the third generation! Ruby was the first pokemon game that my parents ever bought me. (I have the 1st and 2nd generation games too, they belonged to my brothers. I played them first once they stopped playing them, so that's what got me hooked. And my parents probably noticed this, and bought me Ruby. The brothers ended up giving me their games, BTW. And I was a happy child. (They had all of the second and first gen. games, except for Yellow)

I remember the first time I got it. It was Christmas, and I got my GBA SP on the same day. I immediately took Ruby out and played it, amazed and intrigued by the bright graphics.

In fact, I loved 3rd gen. so much, I have all the games, and I play them on a regular basis. Plus, this thread just inspired me to play through Emerald again. ^_^

So yeah, the 3rd generation was awesome.

//end rant

Dixie Kong
January 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
The distinguished fans? Nah, it's just the majority, not the distinguished. I don't really hate any generation. I liked them all, but at first, it took some getting used to. That's just me, though. It takes me a while to get accustomed to something new.

ANYWAY. I loved the 3rd generation, and for some reason, thinking about the beginning of the game makes me always want to play it. So, out of all of my Pokemon games, it has the most replay value for me.

A Pixy
January 17th, 2010, 05:25 PM
With the exception of the contests and the best Battle Frontier, hands down, feet on the floor, butt hanging up in the air, I would like to see what GEN III (RSE, not FRLG) has that the other gens don't have and do better.

Also,

Best GENS
1.GEN II (Best region, Kanto, adding SO MANY staples {Pokerus, Gender, Berries} etc.)
2.GEN IV (Basically lists everything that made past games great and nails each one)
3.GEN I (Some things failed, some things didn't, but that's what sequels are for, amirite?)
4.GEN III ((p")p)

Satoshi Ookami
January 17th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'd never speak bad about 3rd gen.
It was generation of my return to pokemon so I have nice memories on this generation.

BHwolfgang
January 18th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Well, Pokemon Sapphire was where I started my journey into the world of Pokemon. I wouldn't hate on the generation of which I came from, no?

I loved how they introduced natures to us. It was refreshing, to say the least. IV, uh, too hard and time-consuming for me, however.

LMcD1
January 22nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
Personally, I don't actually like the Ds version ? don't know why just dont like it prefer GBA versions.

The Red Chain
January 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
With the exception of the contests and the best Battle Frontier, hands down, feet on the floor, butt hanging up in the air, I would like to see what GEN III (RSE, not FRLG) has that the other gens don't have and do better.

Also,

Best GENS
1.GEN II (Best region, Kanto, adding SO MANY staples {Pokerus, Gender, Berries} etc.)
2.GEN IV (Basically lists everything that made past games great and nails each one)
3.GEN I (Some things failed, some things didn't, but that's what sequels are for, amirite?)
4.GEN III ((p")p)I agree wholeheartedly with this post.
I honestly think where Gen 3 really failed was the plot.
It was really suckish and didn't make much of an advancement in creativity from the second generation. [no offense fans]
31 IVs, Natures, Abilities, and EVs are great and all.. but without the ability to utilize it through battling other players what's the point? [aka Wifi]
Link battle can only go so far, and yeah you can calculate all that stuff for in-game battles if you want to.. but it's kind of a waste of time.
The in-game trainers aren't challenging enough to require all of that.

FreakyLocz14
January 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
For me it's more like:

GEN 1: Respect the classics people! This was where I began my life as a Pokemon trainer and these games will go down in history!
GEN 2: I loved the fact that you could re-visit Kanto, battle Red, and brings back memories of the 1st Gen lovers.
GEN 3: R/S have very original concepts, love em or hate em is up to you. The Hoenn region is unlike any other being very tropical and Hoenn started the tradition of having Lenendary Pokemon create the region they live in. Also FR/LG seal the deal in making this a dynamic Generation. For competitive battlers this is the only time we've had *gasp* a balanced metagame.
GEN 4: D/P was mediocre at best and the Physical-Special split made 4th Gen terrible. Platinum at least sort of made Sinnoh a bit better. If it weren't for HG/SS, I wouldn't even have included 4th Gen on the list.

white lancer
January 23rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Third Generation had some great graphics and amazing town designs--who wouldn't love to see a town like Pacifidlog or Fortree?--but ultimately it was a big letdown when I found out that you couldn't get all the Pokémon or go to previous regions. I loved double battles and a number of the other innovations (such as Abilities and Natures), but the storyline was a little lacking and the Pokémon were a huge step down from the previous two generations (although G4 was another whole step down from G3). I'd rate it 3rd out of the four generations, after G2 and G1, although of course I've only played G4 once so my judgment of that game might change with time. Also didn't like the reduction of the importance of day/night/morning.

And yes, the water routes were annoying. I like to battle every trainer in the game, and it's difficult when they're hidden in such a large, open body of water...and I don't want to spend all of my money on Max Repels. I did enjoy the Diving, though.

I would also like to say that I loved FRLG, maybe even more than the original games, but my rating on each generation is based more on the completely new game being released rather than any remakes or spinoffs.

Ayselipera
January 23rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions and the majority of opinons is usually that r/s/e were some of the worst games. Of course I'm just going with what I tend to see. Whether this is right or wrong I have no idea.

I don't have a problem with r/s/e. Even though I didn't start my pokemon gaming with r/s/e I still ended up liking it. I guess I'm just the odd one in the mix. :3 Anyways I personally feel as though dppt are the worst pokemon games so far.

Panfisha
January 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
I think people dislike generation 3 only because they felt there were too many pokemon being made, and some of them pretty bad(ugly/weak) such as whismur, mawile, gulpin, baltoy, glalie, and spinda.

Sir Sterling
January 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
The biggest disappointments with me in the third generation were that you only went through one region, and that some older Pokemon were unable to catch ( PIDGEY!!!!! D: ). Otherwise, it was actually very good. I definitely prefer Kanto and Johto, but Hoenn(?) had some cool additions, cool towns, and plenty of cool new Pokemon. It's true I was not overly fond of the starters at first, but Blaziken is awesome, I learned to love Sceptile, and Swampert ended up being one of my very strongest. The new technology stuff I didn't really like, but the berry machine was addictive. :p

Overall, the third generation was great. It's really this new one I'm not wild over...all those HMs, the weird, half-slapped Pokemon, the evolutions that boiled over some great older Pokemon ( TANGROWTH!!!! D:< ), the factory explosion of legendaries, and the fact that you STILL only go through one region. There are people here who like the fourth generation, but I have plenty of complaints about it.

The Cynic
January 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
I think actually and I might be the only person who thinks this, that Gen 2 was the worst. It just seemed so rushed, like they needed something new or they'd loose their fans.

I think gen 3 was the best generation. I only wish you could go to all 3 regions in it though...

Gen 1 I find really boring but I guess thats because its older and so as the first in the franchise you can't really talk it down.

Gen 4 wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly good either and did they have to add so many legendaries?

I'm gonna get in a lot of arguments over this one...

FreakyLocz14
January 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
I think actually and I might be the only person who thinks this, that Gen 2 was the worst. It just seemed so rushed, like they needed something new or they'd loose their fans.

I think gen 3 was the best generation. I only wish you could go to all 3 regions in it though...

Gen 1 I find really boring but I guess thats because its older and so as the first in the franchise you can't really talk it down.

Gen 4 wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly good either and did they have to add so many legendaries?

I'm gonna get in a lot of arguments over this one...

Everyone is entitle to their opinions even if many would disagree.

iLaxbe!
January 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
I think actually and I might be the only person who thinks this, that Gen 2 was the worst. It just seemed so rushed, like they needed something new or they'd loose their fans.I agree, you might be the only person who thinks this. But it's your opinion, and I respect it.

GlitchCity
January 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
I really cant stand people to speak badly about the 3rd gen, and then turn around and says "ohh johto is the best" or kanto is the best. To me none of them are the worst of them all. Each region had it own unique feel to it.

and for people who "hates" hoenn and loves the classics (johto and kanto), if it wasnt for the 3rd generation there would be no heartgold or soulsilver.

a little off topic here, IMO FR and LG totally owned RBY. The classics can be beaten.

white lancer
January 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM

Rushed? I believe there was actually more time in between Red and Green and Silver and Gold than there was in between any other generations. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but...

比丽
January 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have a love-hate relationship with the 3rd generation.
Then again, I have those sometimes with all generations.
I think it's 'cause batteries would run out after a while &
if I couldn't finish the game in the time I wanted to, I got mad. c[:
I'm an impatient person, hahaha.

[a little off topic here, IMO FR and LG totally owned RBY.]
Yes, they totally did! I love them so much more.

Teomat
January 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Pokemons of Third generation were... strange. There were really beautiful pokemons, such as Gardevoir, Grovyle, Breloom, Swellow, Absol, Seviper... but also really ugly. For example Salamense. This flying frog doesn't look like cool dragon! Or slakoff and its evos... really, they looks good but good for somewhat another. They doesn't look like pokemons! They like more characters from Rescue Rangers or somewhat near.

Lostworld
January 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Although I bought both Ruby and Sapphire and then received Emerald, I used to really dislike the games after I played through them once. Actually, I don't think I've even bothered to collect all of the badges on my Sapphire version. Recently though, after I traded my awesome Swampert over to Platinum, somehow that's given me an incentive to play through the third gen. games again. Not sure why. But I am now and I've got a new found respect for the games, they are better than I remember.
Finishing on that note, there's no reason to bash the third gen. games, they are pretty awesome.

xxashxx
January 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I have never talked down any of the generations but it was a pretty good generation though and introduced a lot of baby Pokemon new and old. It also was the generation that started combining more of the types too and I got Emerald and it was a fun game and it only took me 6 days to complete but about 6 weeks for everything in the game. It was fun but that clown house was the most annoying part of the game though.LOL.XD.:)

Ninja Caterpie
January 24th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I don't see how "original plot" is at all relevant a discussion topic, when Pokemon plots have as much substance and originality as a cardboard box.

If you want storyline, go play Ranger or Mystery Dungeon or something. For goodness sake, Trozei has a "better plot" than most of the mainstream Pokemon games.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
January 25th, 2010, 01:01 AM
They removed the day/night feature and started "ZOMG END OF THE WORLD" plots. I still don't understand.

I wasn't impressed. It's not so much that they're terrible, it's just... meh. They didn't really introduce anything revolutionary. They're just... forgettable. I had no desire to play it again once I finished it.

And I don't really see the point you're making in the first post. It's nostalgia. That doesn't make them good. It just means you got into Pokemon at a certain time.

Decibel
January 25th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I didn't like the 3rd gen games as much as the others, probably because it didn't have anything that 'new' about it. FR/LG helped a bit, because you could end up completing your Pokedex, but really the only thing noticeable they added was what the GBA gave them, better graphics and sound, along with new pokemon. Nothing that new on their part.

Peeky Chew
January 25th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Although I never played any Pokemon games before the 3rd generation I still think R/S/E are way better then the others. The music is great, the towns beautifull (especially compared to the ugly gbc graphics of the second gen), The storyline great (for pokemon), contest, double battles and natures added a lot and the Pokemon, in my opinion, are the best of any generation. Just have a look at the 4th gen Pokedex with preevolutions and new evolutions taken out, it's about 60!

Moltres111
January 25th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Peeky Chew@ Exactly.

Now for my rant.

-__________-.

Sorry guys, but how can you say "third gen didn't introduce anything revolutionary"? >_> And btw, i'm sick of all these arguments. Here are a few revolutionary things in RSEFRLG that a lot of you seem to forget..

-EVs
-IVs
-Abilities
-Natures..
-A LOT of Items
-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better graphics than Gen I or II - that's expected, but I and II COULD have had a bit better graphics.. at least in my opinion
-Why did Gen I and II use the same evil team? THAT'S ORIGINAL. (sorry guys. I had to. I'm sick of Gen II fanboys/girls saying "LAWL EVERY OTHER GEN SUCKS LMAO!!!")

That's all i've got for now. Please people, stop complaining. Gen III was made like this. You've got to learn to accept that. Everything is life isn't Gen II perfect.

Swimmer Ryan
January 25th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Second Generation will always be my favourite, then 3rd Gen, then 1st and finally my least favourite 4th.

Ninja Caterpie
January 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better graphics than Gen I or II - that's expected, but I and II COULD have had a bit better graphics.. at least in my opinion
They actually could have. The graphics in G/S/C were hella blocky and actually could have been slightly better and/or clearer. I mean, Coolboyman managed to hack a Pokemon Gold ROM to have some Fire Red tiles in it!

-Why did Gen I and II use the same evil team? THAT'S ORIGINAL. (sorry guys. I had to. I'm sick of Gen II fanboys/girls saying "LAWL EVERY OTHER GEN SUCKS LMAO!!!")
MY goodness, I never realised that. Hah, silly Gen II fanatics saying their story was "original" when they didn't even introduce a new team. A really lame Deus ex Machina brought the old one back instead. >_>

Cherrim
January 25th, 2010, 03:20 PM
The "distinguished" Pokemon fans love to speak bad about the third generation.
They always call it the worst of the four, but in my opinion the fourth generation takes that title.

Ruby/Sapphire had the most hype for me as their American realease approached. My dad pre-ordered Ruby for me and Sapphire for him and we anxiously awaited their realease and once we played theme loved every minute of them on our original Game Boy Advanced.
Most hype? o_O Definitely not over here. Most hype would have to be G/S and even then, people were just starting to get out of the Pokémon phase when the two games were released, so the title would probably go to RBY anyway.

Anyway, sounds like you like it for nostalgia reasons which is well and fine. But it was definitely a flawed generation. I gave reasons once in another thread so I'll just quote them here:
Reasons RSE was good:
→ Nosepass
→ Double battles
→ Secret bases were kinda cool
→ Running shoes
→ Contests
→ Braille was kinda cool too
→ TV had a point
→ edit: forgot about berries!

Reasons RSE sucked:
→ Water. I hate surfing. So much.
→ Most Pokemon designs were unimaginative, too complex and looked like Digimon
→ Water
→ TOO MANY LEGENDARIES
→ annoying bike system
→ Took out day/night system
→ Plot that made no sense
→ Water
→ no huge change to the plot or mechanics in Emerald
→ Water
→ Too many exclusives and events
→ Water
→ Dive

...I think that's about it.
...also, tack on that the enemies (Team Magma and Aqua) were the least believable enemies in the entire series thus far. Instead of coming across as dangerous, they all just seemed absolutely crazy. Getting rid of all the water, or getting rid of all the land? It's too extreme to take seriously. I can't believe either leader got any followers at all. I couldn't stand this part of the plot.

DestinyBender
January 25th, 2010, 04:33 PM
It was made about 5 years ago - what do you expect? Besides, Game Freak put their heart and soul into every game they make; try to respect that.

Yoshimi
January 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM
The 3rd generation was okay I guess. It just felt that they needed to put so much originality in the land to make up for the lack of it on the water. Seriously, seeing nothing but water for half of the region is punishment enough, but you actually decide to put a tropical route only a few meters away from a desert.

And just because it had new features doesn't mean that it automatically makes it good. The items were negligible excluding TMs, dive was annoying, double battles were okay at best, the safari zone sucked(apart from Emerald), contests sucked even more than the one in D/P/P, and they actually tried to add a plot, which failed utterly. I'd rather have a bunch of gangsters try to mug me with their rattatas and ekans than save the world AGAIN. Seriously, I play Final Fantasy, I know when I have to save the world. Of course, it is just my opinion.

Kirbychu
January 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Reasons RSE sucked:

→ Most Pokemon designs were unimaginative, too complex and looked like Digimon
What is a Pokemon suppose to look like then? Tell me what exactly makes a Pokemon a Pokemon and a Digimon a Digimon. Saying the newer designs are "unimaginative" makes absolutely no sense either. Many of the Pokemon in previous gens were nothing more than rats, pigeons, crabs, owls, etc. thrown into a fictional world. I believe that the earlier gens lacked creativity just because of that.

→ Took out day/night system
Thank God they removed it. If you liked it, great, but it sucked for nighttime players like me who could only catch Hoothoot. >.>

→ no huge change to the plot or mechanics in Emerald
*Points to Blue, Yellow, and Crystal*
Bold.

I personally love the 3rd gen to pieces. It was flawed like all regions. I don't understand how Gen 2 is considered the "peak" of the series by the majority of the fandom. The game gets better for the most part every gen.

Takoto
January 25th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Forth Generation was by far the worst. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it was just so dull (well, D/P/P is, HGSS may be good). I prefer Gen two and Gen one, but Gen three was still a world better than Gen four.

duckling
January 25th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I beat LG then I started Emerald and I had more fun playing LG. The storyline is just so much more fun. That is the only problem I have with R/S/E the storyline =/

xxashxx
January 25th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I think the 3rd generation has the coolest legendary Pokemon and especially Rayquaza because Rayquaza's move pool is pretty close to Dragonite's that it is not even funny. I have been using my Rayquaza since I got Emerald and he has the best moveset and he dominates almost every other Dragon type Pokemon.:)

Wings Don't Cry
January 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I beat LG then I started Emerald and I had more fun playing LG. The storyline is just so much more fun. That is the only problem I have with R/S/E the storyline =/

What storyline? In Fr/Lg you just collected badges and beat the E4. Occasionally some thugs would block your path so you beat them up. What storyline was in Fr/Lg that wasn't also apart of every other game? You should just say you hate R/S/E for attempting to put in a storyline.

xxashxx
January 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
What storyline? In Fr/Lg you just collected badges and beat the E4. Occasionally some thugs would block your path so you beat them up. What storyline was in Fr/Lg that wasn't also apart of every other game? You should just say you hate R/S/E for attempting to put in a storyline.

Emerald had a long storyline and with the extra battling the storyline was actually pretty good in my mind. I am not sure how it was in R/S but in Emerald it gave you a chance to battle higher leveled Pokemon and the Groundo/Kyogre and Rayquaza movie scene was pretty cool where Rayquaza breaks up the fight between Groundon and Kyogre so you could get into Sutopolis City. That is probably the best part of the whole storyline in Emerald anyway. That is my opinion on the 3rd gen. It is hard to say which gen is the best other than the first generation but the 3rd gen did have some good storyline plots here and there though.:)

560cool.
January 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Gen III rocks .

Why ? My 1st gen of Pokemon , great storyline in E (in RS it was OK) but at least they broke the tradition of TEAM ROCKET (these l0sers :B ) and introduced two teams ! A great revelation if you ask me ^^ !

Cherrim
January 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Next time please reply outside the quotes because I can't quote you easily otherwise. :|
What is a Pokemon suppose to look like then? Tell me what exactly makes a Pokemon a Pokemon and a Digimon a Digimon. Saying the newer designs are "unimaginative" makes absolutely no sense either. Many of the Pokemon in previous gens were nothing more than rats, pigeons, crabs, owls, etc. thrown into a fictional world. I believe that the earlier gens lacked creativity just because of that.
I'm not really sure, but all I remember from my first impressions of Ruby/Sapphire were "wow, these things look like Digimon". I guess in the sense that more and more of them were less based off of actual animals and more on... nothing. I definitely prefer when you can easily tell what a Pokémon's original inspiration is from. Squirtle is a turtle. Totodile is a crocodile. WTF is a Mudkip??
Thank god they removed it. If you liked it, great, but it sucked for nighttime players like me who could only catch Hoothoot. >.>
...it's called getting up early? :'( Seriously though, I can actually sympathize with you there since the only reason I managed to catch a freaking Ledian in Diamond the other month was becase I stayed up all night to 4am but... I still adore the night/day thing. It was probably my favourite part of GSC and I was heartbroken to see it tossed aside in RSE. Difference of opinion once again, I suppose.
*Points to Blue, Yellow, and Crystal*
...woooow way to go. :| Note that for the entirety of my post, I'm talking about Ruby/Sapphire. Brand new games with a brand new regions and no basis before them in those regions. Blue? Same as Red. Yellow? Companion to RB. Crystal? Again, a companion to GS. I'm not ripping on Emerald for being a bad game because it doesn't improve upon RS enough... I'm ripping on RS being bad entries in the series for, well, all the reasons I listed and then some.

Anyway, I realize that a lot of the things I list are things that other people happen to adore. I just... really did not like RSE. I played Ruby and set it down, perfectly content to never touch it again. I had to FORCE myself to play through Emerald. Do I think they're horrible games? No. I just think they aren't as good as the other generations. RBY was the first and, arguably, the most original. GSC? Took the hype from RBY and channelled it into something new yet nostalgic all at the same time. RSE? Ehhh, most people were "out" of Pokemon by then. I know I picked it up mostly because I was on PC and felt "obliged" to. If I hadn't been on PC after that, RSE would've turned me off of the Pokemon series altogether, no lie. The games just didn't click with me.

Ninja Caterpie
January 26th, 2010, 03:36 PM
WTF is a Mudkip??
This (http://davidcrew.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/mudkip-real-pokemon.jpg).

...woooow way to go. :| Note that for the entirety of my post, I'm talking about Ruby/Sapphire. Brand new games with a brand new regions and no basis before them in those regions. Blue? Same as Red. Yellow? Companion to RB. Crystal? Again, a companion to GS. I'm not ripping on Emerald for being a bad game because it doesn't improve upon RS enough... I'm ripping on RS being bad entries in the series for, well, all the reasons I listed and then some.
Uh, what? He replied that to you saying that there was "no huge change to the plot or mechanics in Emerald". There was no huge change to the plot or mechanics in Blue or Yellow or Crystal either. Basically, you were ripping on Emerald for being a bad game because it didn't improve upon RS enough.

RivalGator
January 26th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I personally had a little bit of a grudge against Zigzagoon. I wasn't much for Pokemon like that. I didn't really like the Pokemon, and I didn't really like the story. I think Team Aqua and Magma were the worst part... Usually I judge a game on how good the villains are, and Aqua/Magma just didn't make the cut with me.

GrossRhododendron
January 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
In my opinion, 3rd generation games were the best.

When I first got Pearl, I was truly disappointed. I know you will all think that that is betrayal, but think about it. There was so much more Pokemon to collect in GBA AGG, and though collecting them all is still challenging, it is more familiar faces to catch. Also, D/P were so much harder to beat if you are a pure-no AR player. As a purist, I was bored by countless training battles and losses in gyms. All in all, I hope they release more Pokemon in HeartGold/SoulSilver to make it more like GBA games, and probably a little easier for those people who care more about collecting 'em' all' then the actual story line.

Blues003
January 31st, 2010, 02:01 AM
IMO, the peak was the 2nd gen. It introduced so much new stuff,,.

- A bunch of awesome pokemon (Scizor, Jumpluff, Houndoom, Sneasel, Typhlosion, Ampharos, Steelix, Tyranitar, Umbreon, Espeon, Miltank, Kingdra - pokes you'd see and instantly go I 'WANT THAT!')
- More-than-the-usual-toughness gyms (oh wow, Whitney's Miltank still gives me nightmares)
- Day-Night system
- Pokemon Gear
- A lot of interesting moves (Attract, Hidden Power, Sludge Bomb, Dynamic Punch, Shadow Ball, Return, Destiny Bond, False Swipe, Extremespeed, Spikes, Protect, Rollout)
- The breeding concept, the roaming pokemon concept
- Berries and custom balls
- Fighting Lugia or Ho Oh or Suicune as a pre-destined/mandatory battle.
- Revisiting the very first games (which are the classics, no matter what you say)
- Fighting Red.

All in all, it was just a very good gen, because it had innovation while sticking to its roots and allowing you to revisit them.

The 1st gen was just a classic. That by itself makes it great.

3rd gen was okay. It introduced good concepts (EVs, Natures, more berries) and some fairly good pokemon (Sceptile, Swampert, Zangoose, Aggron, Milotic and Ludicolo), and alot of extras, but it just didn't have the appeal of the 2nd gen. FR/LG were awesome though.

4th gen was awful. Aside from the physical/special split, I saw little good coming from it.

flight
January 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM
Here's my two cents, I hope nobody minds. ^^;

----

I enjoyed Generation III just as much as the next person, but even I recognized that it did indeed have it's own flaws. For example, as much as I loved Team Magma and Aqua for their costumes for their "imagination" over taking over the world via land and sea, they had no real substance to them. Now most of you who read this post are probably going to be like "it's a pokemon game, why the heck are you talking about substance?" The answer to that is pretty easy.

Team Rocket much?

And

When I played RSE, I enjoyed many aspects of the game. I alnost didn't care about the day/night system, as everything else in Gen III at the time pretty much made up for it. Then I started thinking that hey, it'd be pretty neat if day/night were included; it'd make the game much more fun and enjoyable, yeah? If it had that, well, there would be less complaints on my end, I guess.

Also, I must agree with Erica as for the ridiculous amount of surfing one has to do in the third gen games. My only difference in opinion is that I liked all the water at the same time because of diving. I liked how you can explore underwater depths and the such; it was really cool to me. ^^;

Other than that, I suppose I have no qualms with Gen III. As I said before, I love Gen III, I'm just one of those people who notice it's flaws.

Moltres111
January 31st, 2010, 07:58 AM
Oh my god. I just thought of something.

Why is everyone complaining about "surfing being so boring" in RSE when you were actually able to surf at a decent speed? Seriously, have you guys/girls tried surfing in D/P? (not Pt)

I'd say even though Sinnoh has way less water than Hoenn, surfing is ten times more annoying in D/P than it is in R/S/E. Simply because it is so DANG slow.

Platinum's surfing speed was good. D/P's surfing speed made me want to kick something.

flight
January 31st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Well, as for myself, the amount of water in RSE is actually comparable to the surfing speed in D/P/P. In other words, the amount of water in RSE was so vast and large, that by the time you began surfing towards a particular location, it already feels as if you're hardly going anywhere; like in D/P/P.

Besides, here's my question: Why are people complaining about Sinnoh's surfing speed when there's like, hardly any water to surf on in the region?

Live Update King
January 31st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Gen 3 was the best. Gen 2 just lacked a full-sized kanto :)

MarioRocks08
January 31st, 2010, 02:07 PM
I love it all! Whether it's first gen, second gen, third gen, or fourth gen, I love it!