PDA

View Full Version : Odd Windows 7 Paint Problem!

Sora's Nobody
January 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I remember having the windows xp paint and i remember when i oppened a file exported from unlz.gba or Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition that when i oppened it was indexed, so if i pasted another sprite into the indexed image it would change the newly pasted sprites colors to the ones from the indexed ones, but when i do the same thing in windows 7 that doesent happen!

NiKaNoRoU
January 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hey Oliver J from yahoo answers

Your problem probably lies in Windows 7 in general. Thrace once mentioned that Windows 7 has problems with sprite indexing/inserting, so it's not the MS Paint application. Besides, the DBI data structure for the .bmp files didn't change in Windows 7 (afaik).

Sora's Nobody
January 19th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hey Oliver J from yahoo answers

Your problem probably lies in Windows 7 in general. Thrace once mentioned that Windows 7 has problems with sprite indexing/inserting, so it's not the MS Paint application. Besides, the DBI data structure for the .bmp files didn't change in Windows 7 (afaik). So what do i do, if that function doesent work im pretty F***** And *cough im No Oliver *cough* Jarvis i- i mean J*

NiKaNoRoU
January 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
So what do i do, if that function doesent work im pretty F***** And *cough im No Oliver *cough* Jarvis i- i mean J*
Right now I have no clue, as I've never seen Windows 7 on my side.

But all I could say is, try getting the paint twocows uploaded here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5479413&postcount=3), and try again.

twocows
January 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
So what do i do, if that function doesent work im pretty F***** And *cough im No Oliver *cough* Jarvis i- i mean J*
I don't usually work with sprites, but couldn't you just use Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.NET?

Sora's Nobody
January 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I don't usually work with sprites, but couldn't you just use Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.NET? i tried Paint.net and nope

NiKaNoRoU
January 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Ugh. It's just W7 then. THAT DESKTOP.

All I can think of right now is, you may want to try canvaspaint.org, it's an online emulator of the old paint in java.

Good luck.

Sora's Nobody
January 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Ugh. It's just W7 then. THAT DESKTOP.

All I can think of right now is, you may want to try canvaspaint.org, it's an online emulator of the old paint in java.

Good luck. I'm afraid that that website was just plain Bul.... nothing jk, but yeah the lines where gradiented so couldnt really be used, oh, well ill just have to do it, the old and long crappy way Sigh...

donavannj
January 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM
You could create a virtual machine of XP to do your spriting in. I recommend VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) if you decide to create a virtual machine. But make sure you have at least 3GB of RAM in your system so that you can give XP a decent amount.

Sora's Nobody
January 19th, 2010, 09:39 PM
You could create a virtual machine of XP to do your spriting in. I recommend VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) if you decide to create a virtual machine. But make sure you have at least 3GB of RAM in your system so that you can give XP a decent amount. mmm, actually wasnt there something called virtual xp on the new windows 7?

twocows
January 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM
mmm, actually wasnt there something called virtual xp on the new windows 7?
VirtualBox (which I also recommended to you when you asked me earlier) will probably solve your problem. And Windows 7 has something called "Windows XP mode," but that's more for running programs; I guess you could try to grab the WinXP copy of paint and run it in Windows XP mode if you wanted.

OTOH, you might want to check to make sure it's not the image itself that's screwed up (or just Windows 7's copy/paste function for that matter); I can't imagine that not a single one of our suggestions worked.

Sora's Nobody
January 20th, 2010, 06:13 AM
VirtualBox (which I also recommended to you when you asked me earlier) will probably solve your problem. And Windows 7 has something called "Windows XP mode," but that's more for running programs; I guess you could try to grab the WinXP copy of paint and run it in Windows XP mode if you wanted.

OTOH, you might want to check to make sure it's not the image itself that's screwed up (or just Windows 7's copy/paste function for that matter); I can't imagine that not a single one of our suggestions worked. Nope it wasnt a problem with the picture, or with the copy function cause the file was saved to the computer

HackMew
January 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
I've experienced that problem myself as well, thought I wasn't using Paint for overworld editing purposes.
Anyway, the easiest solution is simply to copy the Windows XP Paint into your Windows 7. It will work just fine. If you need further info, PM me.

mervyn797
January 29th, 2010, 02:10 AM
umm... ive used 7 for quite a long time..
this is what i have been doing. -
Open the image in Irfan view and export the palette. now open the new image and then import the same palette from previously saved file. then save it.
i think it should work.