PDA

View Full Version : Apple unveils its iPad computer

Netto Azure
January 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Apple unveils its iPad computer (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8483654.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47195000/jpg/_47195851_008631991-1.jpg
Steve Jobs has unveiled the new iPad

Apple has put an end to weeks of fevered speculation by unveiling its long-awaited tablet PC, which it has called the iPad.
Steve Jobs, Apple's chief executive unveiled the touchscreen device at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco.
Mr Jobs described the tablet as a "third category" between smartphones and laptops.
The device, which looks like a large iPhone, can be used to watch films, play games and browse the web.
Mr Jobs told an audience of journalists, analysts and industry peers that the device lets people "hold the whole web in your hands".
"What this device does is extraordinary. It is the best browsing experience you have ever had," he said.
The device has a 9.7-inch multi-touch display, allowing people to type directly on to the screen, as well as manipulate pictures and move control the action in games with their fingers.
Apple claim it has a battery life of 10 hours.
It also has the firms iTunes software built in, allowing users to purchase songs and movies straight to the device.
It also allows users to download apps, in a similar way to the iPhone. People with both can synchronise their apps between the two devices.
"We think it's going to be a whole other gold rush for developers," said Scott Forstall, who runs Apple's app division.
Apple revealed that more than 3bn apps have been downloaded from its App store.
The launch puts to rest months of speculation and rumour in the blogosphere.
Apple - famous for its secrecy - had remained silent in the run up to the launch, unwilling to release any details publicly.Looks like a giant iTouch like my Classmate said. XD

Then again, with iPhone/Touch Apps, we can do SO many things with the IPhone. XD

Façade
January 27th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I want an original product name already. :<

Cherrim
January 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM
iSlate was a much better name. iPad reminds me of feminine products and typos. :(

Anyway, I can't say I'm impressed. The hype leading up to the announcement was more exciting than the announcement itself. I am surprised at the low price-point, but when you tack on 3G (which is something I was sure would be in the base model to begin with), it gets pretty hefty. I'll admit I was a little interested from the get-go but there just wasn't anything revolutionary here. It's a big iPod Touch with Kindle-like book support. :/ I'll definitely pass.

Cheesymitten
January 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM
It looks like a portable television 8D
But faster than an iTouch and normal laptop..
Am I right?

Netto Azure
January 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM
iSlate was a much better name. iPad reminds me of feminine products and typos. :(

Anyway, I can't say I'm impressed. The hype leading up to the announcement was more exciting than the announcement itself. I am surprised at the low price-point, but when you tack on 3G (which is something I was sure would be in the base model to begin with), it gets pretty hefty. I'll admit I was a little interested from the get-go but there just wasn't anything revolutionary here. It's a big iPod
Touch with Kindle-like book support. :/ I'll definitely pass.

Yep, I agree with iSlate. XP

Meh, I guess it's just that we've been promised something like this since the 60's! XDDD

Cherrim
January 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM
It looks like a portable television 8D
But faster than an iTouch and normal laptop..
Am I right?
Normal laptop? Ehh, I think I read it was only 1gHz and can't multitask.

I mean, since they pull the ability to multitask (which I assume means it can only have one app up at a time?), yeah, it'll perform those things better but I think I'd rather get a netbook at that price. :/

Netto Azure
January 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Normal laptop? Ehh, I think I read it was only 1gHz and can't multitask.

I mean, since they pull the ability to multitask (which I assume means it can only have one app up at a time?), yeah, it'll perform those things better but I think I'd rather get a netbook at that price. :/

I would have gotten a Netbook either way. XD

To me it's just something they would use for hospitals and stuff, rather than private use. XD

OR we can get TV's that are that thin. :P

Cheesymitten
January 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM
We already have thin Tv's that can be attatched to the seat of a car, unfortunatley you can't play PS2 on most of them x.x

And if it's not fast and can't multitask, surley they'll bring in a new version which will?

.Gamer
January 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Lol, when I heard the name the first thing that came to my mind was "I'll buy this for my iPeriod...." they should have picked a better name for it imo.

THIRTY-SIX
January 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I kinda wants one. But have no need for it. :<

The Darkest Gale
January 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM
thats not gonna fit in my pocket :x
its an over-sized iphone and ipad sounds like a no7 conditioner xD lol
I thought iphone's already could connect to the internet... and the DSi

Bianca Paragon
January 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM
As soon as the Apple Website is ready to take my $829US, I'll be ordering mine. This is what the Netbook Movement SHOULD have been.

Zet
January 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I'd rather have the best web browsing experience in my pocket, not in my hands so other people can see what I'm doing.

twocows
January 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
What a useless pile of scrap. To quote someone on Slashdot: "It's more than just an iPod touch that won't fit in your pocket...it's also an underpowered netbook with no keyboard. It's the worst of both worlds!" I can't imagine any possible use for this thing; it's a completely unnecessary waste of money.

Also, Steve Jobs is a self-important prick. Steve Wozniak forever.

Toshiro.
January 27th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Wow o_o

I think i'll pass on this, I like my iTouch, it's a great size and fits in my pocket.

Gerri Shin
January 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I already own an iPod touch, and while I do understand that this does have many of the same "features" I'm still thinking I might get one. If nothing else than so that I can read and take notes and books with me to and from future classes. One of my biggest problems is that while I can type and surf a computer however long I want the tension caused by holding a pen and writing for long periods is enough to stop me in my tracks. using a single finger or touch typing on this iPad would be a welcome addition to my arsenal of school utensils.

I'm sure I would be jumping through hoops and counting down the days all the more quickly if some other features I was hoping were in it, but I still have to think that this is a fairly decent alternative to buying a second computer for school use. (especially when it's financial aid helping with the bulk of the purchase)only time will tell whether this product is truly "revolutionary" and I personally won't be able to make a definitive decision on whether it changes the way I treat school stuff until I've had a chance to use it.

I'm rather impressed with the deal on the 3G data plans. If i even wanted to use 3G on my notebook I would have to shell out over 75 more bucks a month for a plan with anywhere near enough allotted bandwidth and high limit that I could use, whereas with the $30 unlimited, that I could easily afford and still have the access I need.

Cassino
January 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Everyone already has a laptop and a phone; what a blatant gimmick. :D

.Bullet
January 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM
What a useless pile of scrap. To quote someone on Slashdot: "It's more than just an iPod touch that won't fit in your pocket...it's also an underpowered netbook with no keyboard. It's the worst of both worlds!" I can't imagine any possible use for this thing; it's a completely unnecessary waste of money.

Also, Steve Jobs is a self-important prick. Steve Wozniak forever.

I wouldn't call it useless. It's as if Apple combined an iPod Touch and and E-book Reader into one. It'll definitely storm the ebook device market. It wasn't designed to fit in your pocket; it was designed to be held in the hand(s). It's not a netbook. It has a virtual keyboard, which is just as good if not better as a regular one.

If you think this device is useless, at least remember that Steve Jobs did not design much, if any, of it. He presents it.
I do have to agree with you on some points, though. I won't be getting one. My iPhone is more than enough.

twocows
January 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I already own an iPod touch, and while I do understand that this does have many of the same "features" I'm still thinking I might get one. If nothing else than so that I can read and take notes and books with me to and from future classes. One of my biggest problems is that while I can type and surf a computer however long I want the tension caused by holding a pen and writing for long periods is enough to stop me in my tracks. using a single finger or touch typing on this iPad would be a welcome addition to my arsenal of school utensils.

I'm sure I would be jumping through hoops and counting down the days all the more quickly if some other features I was hoping were in it, but I still have to think that this is a fairly decent alternative to buying a second computer for school use. (especially when it's financial aid helping with the bulk of the purchase)only time will tell whether this product is truly "revolutionary" and I personally won't be able to make a definitive decision on whether it changes the way I treat school stuff until I've had a chance to use it.

I'm rather impressed with the deal on the 3G data plans. If i even wanted to use 3G on my notebook I would have to shell out over 75 more bucks a month for a plan with anywhere near enough allotted bandwidth and high limit that I could use, whereas with the $30 unlimited, that I could easily afford and still have the access I need.
Just get a tablet laptop, it's far more useful and about as expensive. And I can tell you right now that, like 90% of the crap Apple pushes, it's not revolutionary at all, it's just crap people have already invented with better marketing behind it.

s0nido
January 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
It's pretty unnecessary to me. It just looks like an oversized iPhone to me, and it pretty much does the same thing. Besides, for the same price I could get an Asus EeePC T91, which has touch-screen functionality as well, along with Windows XP, a more widely used operating system than what the iPad has.

The operating system of the iPad looks interesting, though. Could this kind of OS be used on an iPhone/iPod Touch as well? I'm kinda bored with iPhone OS right now. :[ And, since it can run apps designed for iPhone OS, wouldn't its operating system work with iPhone/iPod Touch?

インフェルノの津波
January 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
WTH is that? Some kind of Oversized iPhone? Get outta here, you have to be an idiot to buy it. Although I'm curious enough to want to know what it can do though....

Noah Ridgewood
January 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Let me first state, before I go into detail on what I think about the iPad, that I own an iPhone. For a while now, I've been looking into getting a MacBook for myself because... I need one for college since I'm planning in going into graphic design and I would much rather use my own MacBook than use one that the college supplies so I may take it home and everything and work on my graphics in my dorm. I've never owned a laptop.

During the conference, I was discussing the iPad with Erica and Geoff in an MSN convo. At first I thought it was basically a big iPhone without the phone. I wouldn't say it was an iPod touch considering it had 3G available and the iPod icon was different than "Music" in the iPod touch. But that's besides the point. I didn't like it. I thought the "slide to unlock" was a little small for the size and I thought it was just... the home screen was ugly with little icons spread out everywhere.

I stated "That thing. Is ugly." and expressed my disappoint in what it turned out to be. I would have much rather had the iPad use some operating system more similar to the Mac OS than the iPhone OS. When the conference continued, and the features were slowly demonstrated, I was... pleased with the aesthetic look that they made up for the actual presentation and applications. They literally made a new calender, a new photos application, a new email, a new iTunes. I was starting to drift from "I don't like this" to... "This isn't that bad" but honestly, I wasn't swayed until I saw the video. Maybe its just because I don't have a laptop of my own that can already do all that, but... it looked basically like an affordable mini-MacBook that I could actually see myself purchasing from saving up my paychecks for a few weeks.

I guess we'll see. I'm not totally ruling it out as a possibility of me getting it. Then again, I'm not saying I won't. The fact that I don't, and have never had, a laptop really is the force behind me wanting this.

&RyoThePinnacleOfMasteryAndPerfection: You really don't need to insult someone like that, do you?

Gerri Shin
January 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Just get a tablet laptop, it's far more useful and about as expensive. And I can tell you right now that, like 90% of the crap Apple pushes, it's not revolutionary at all, it's just crap people have already invented with better marketing behind it.
You have a valid point, however, buying a new tablet PC just doesn't fit too well with one of the main reasons I want to get something like this. My checklist of things to look for are the ability to easily sync between my main Mac and the device, something that has room for media and documents, something that can create and edit items and work well with the version of iWork I already use, and it has to be portable with a decent battery, The iPad fills all of this criteria, though on the same notion a hackintosh netbook does too. I've been (and still am) deciding which route to go, all the while saving up for the more expensive of the options so that whichever I choose I can have.

My mind is still open, but using a tablet PC just does not work for me. My desision will not be made until I can hold and use one of these to see if in fact it lives up to the reputation that Apple has set up for it. (The HP touchsmart notebooks were tantalising in the early stages of this decision, but ultimately were ruled out.)

Façade
January 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
It has a virtual keyboard, which is just as good if not better as a regular one.I would've thought a physical keyboard would be univserally thought as being easier. 0_o

I certainly find it much quicker, I'm always fumbling over my friends iPhone whenever I use it.
I can get used to it, but I'd still prefer a physical one any day.

Zet
January 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't call it useless. It's as if Apple combined an iPod Touch and and E-book Reader into one. It'll definitely storm the ebook device market. It wasn't designed to fit in your pocket; it was designed to be held in the hand(s). It's not a netbook. It has a virtual keyboard, which is just as good if not better as a regular one.

If you think this device is useless, at least remember that Steve Jobs did not design much, if any, of it. He presents it.
I do have to agree with you on some points, though. I won't be getting one. My iPhone is more than enough.

With a battery life of 10hours? sounds like a netbook/laptop to me.

Noah Ridgewood
January 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I would've thought a physical keyboard would be univserally thought as being easier. 0_o

I certainly find it much quicker, I'm always fumbling over my friends iPhone whenever I use it.
I can get used to it, but I'd still prefer a physical one any day.
http://images.apple.com/ipad/design/images/accessories_20100127.jpg
The dock with the physical keyboard is there.

Zet
January 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
http://images.apple.com/ipad/design/images/accessories_20100127.jpg
The dock with the physical keyboard is there.

I think the keyboard would look better in black @_@

.Bullet
January 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM
With a battery life of 10hours? sounds like a netbook/laptop to me.

Battery life doesn't necessarily determine if a device is a netbook. However, I can't say I disagree with you, though.

Noah Ridgewood
January 27th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I think the keyboard would look better in black @_@
Black keyboards? Come now, Zet, that isn't very "Apple-like," is it? :(

Cherrim
January 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
To be fair, 10 hours is a great battery life. My netbook has a 6-cell battery and it lasts between 3 and 6 hours (depending on what I'm doing).

But... the thing doesn't multitask. :| I just... do not see how that's useful. On an iPod or an iPhone, okay, it's acceptable to only run one app at a time. But on this thing? If you're paying for something that's supposed to supersede the entire netbook class, the fact that it can't handle more than one app at a time just sounds utterly ridiculous to me. Maybe once they add that capability, I'll be able to look at this thing with more than just utter disbelief but until then... I just can't see how anyone could justify spending $400 on a big iPod Touch that holds less. :|

Lover's Kite
January 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I still think it sounds like a brand of tampon, lol. It's too small imo, and I'm not really digging the iPhone OS carbon copy either. :|

Pikachu the Speaker
January 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I think the new iPad looks like iPod Touch and iPhone. Whoa! It’s $499! Maybe I buy iPad later.

Gummy
January 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Between the iPod Touch in my pocket and my speedy laptop at home, I think I'll pass on this. I feel like this product will only appeal to people who are stuck between buying an iPod with large storage or a netbook.

Lover's Kite
January 28th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I'm sorry but this is just too rich, haha.
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/027/e/6/The_new_iPad_by_Sweet_Mango22.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/027/7/b/iPad_by_avirae.png

jigglyppuff8
January 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I am also sorry (to those who get the joke):
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/442/1264692274285.png

I probably won't use any apple product other than a simple iPod. That is all I have to say on the matter. :|

Archer
January 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I think this sums up my thoughts on the iPad.
http://www.overclockers.com.au/pic.php?pic=images/newspics/29jan10/10.jpg

Giraffes? Giraffes!
January 28th, 2010, 09:53 PM
The fact that they're offering 16, 32 and 64 gigabyte models in 2010 is astounding ( There is no excuse this couldn't hold more data, considering the IPOD TOUCH and IPHONE hold the same freaking data amount.. I mean come on Apple!).. and one app at a time is also astounding. This isn't revolutionary at all. I agree with the majority here, It's just an enlarged Ipod touch... They could of at least made a new OS for it. They're still using Iphone OS, what does that tell you. I wouldn't buy this. The pricing is also ridiculous, but thats Apple for you!

xxashxx
January 29th, 2010, 12:14 AM
The Ipad is supposed to be like a big Iphone except that is is just bigger. They should have called it the iLarge because it is pretty big for it's size and it comes out in 59 days and they said 60 days yesterday. I heard that you will have to pay for subscriptions like to newspapers and magazines so be prepared as it will only be free for awhile when it comes out. I think they are tweaking that now so you will have to pay for subscriptions when it comes out as it is free on the internet for most things but on the iPAD be ready to pay for what you read monthly weekly or yearly depending on what your intrests are.:)

Bianca Paragon
January 29th, 2010, 04:07 AM
The fact that they're offering 16, 32 and 64 gigabyte models in 2010 is astounding ( There is no excuse this couldn't hold more data, considering the IPOD TOUCH and IPHONE hold the same freaking data amount.. I mean come on Apple!).. and one app at a time is also astounding. This isn't revolutionary at all. I agree with the majority here, It's just an enlarged Ipod touch... They could of at least made a new OS for it. They're still using Iphone OS, what does that tell you. I wouldn't buy this. The pricing is also ridiculous, but thats Apple for you!
iPhone OS = Mac OSX, fyi. As you seem to have no clue what you're talking about, I thought I'd help you out <3

Zet
January 29th, 2010, 05:17 AM
So like the iPhone, the iPad is going to be locked down. Hoorar for rental hardware \o/
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/01/the-problem-with-the-apple-ipad/

Captain Hobo.
January 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I am going to stick to my new netbook thank you very much.

SiReNzZ
January 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
It looks great :D but I heard it cannont multi task ? :S

No, you fail
January 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
My dad said he's buying one for him and I when the tax returns come since they are a reasonable price (a lot more reasonable than when I convinced my dad to get me a macbook pro) and I'm mostly going to be using mine for school related things like reading since my school Library has a program where we can download the books onto Itouch's and now Ipad's and read them on there.

curiousnathan
January 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I am not really impressed to be honest.
ISlate is a much better name than Ipad.
And also Windows 7 might have met it's match.

twocows
January 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
My dad said he's buying one for him and I when the tax returns come since they are a reasonable price (a lot more reasonable than when I convinced my dad to get me a macbook pro) and I'm mostly going to be using mine for school related things like reading since my school Library has a program where we can download the books onto Itouch's and now Ipad's and read them on there.
"More reasonable than a Macbook Pro" doesn't mean reasonable. Saying something is less expensive than a Macbook Pro is like saying "this soup is less hot than the sun." You can get a middle- or high-end laptop or desktop (possibly even a tablet PC) for less than the price of the higher-tiered iPads, and a reasonable computer for the price of the lower-tiered ones. If you want to take advantage of your school's library program, just keep using your iPod touch; I guarantee it'll be more useful than the waste of money that the iPad will be. Take the cash I just saved you with this hot tip and invest it in... well, anything else, really: another computer, some games, donations to the EFF, a game console; anything works.

Zet
January 29th, 2010, 05:28 PM
It looks great :D but I heard it cannont multi task ? :S

Yes, what you heard is correct. Apple couldn't figure out how to multi-task

you didn't see anything

Mika
January 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM
an iPad would probably help me with my vision difficulties in some regards but i won't get one. I'm too attached to my Kindle.

And honestly, I do get eye strain reading on my computer and the ipad doesn't have the e-ink that the Kindle has. :< sure it's greyscale but the 3G is free. When you start adding all these fancy pancy features, you lose the heart of the product which is why, again, i think the Kindle will outlast its iPad neighboor. The battery in a Kindle lasts longer [muuuch longer if the 3G is off] the Amazon store has better prices AND a better selection AND I can redownload anything I've bought anywhere i am. :>

Show me your iPad can do that >O

Blah!!
January 29th, 2010, 07:17 PM
It has no Adobe Flash support.

And THAT is why I won't buy it. I ttly have enough money BTW, so don't look at me liek dat.

Sakari
January 29th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I was actually a little intrigued when I first heard about the rumours of apples new device, I watched the conference and really wasn't convinced. First off correct me if i'm wrong, the Ipad doesn't support flash. I really wonder why apple didn't include this feature, that means a lot of sites are going to have that little blue block appearing. I really just see the iPad as something apple made to compete with the kindle, it does have great features but it lacks so many features.

donavannj
January 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM
If I get a tablet PC, it certainly won't be an iPad unless they actually make more functional. Sure, it probably won't have control issues, but I have two USB drives in my pocket right now that each have 8 GB of flash storage on their own, and that's all I see the iPad as being useful at for me at the moment.

Bianca Paragon
January 30th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Protip, guys, none of the Apple Handheld Devices support flash. It's a conscious decision they made based on the security vulnerabilities in flash and the fact that as a format (especially flash video) it's on the way out.

Flandre Scarlet
January 30th, 2010, 05:00 AM
...I have only one thing to say about this. Ph41l. (phail)

Eпvy
January 30th, 2010, 03:43 PM
So essentially it's just a big iPod Touch?

Well I'll be missing out on this. It's very expensive, as well. I already chose my 30GB iPod Classic/Video over the iPod Touch two and a half years ago. That iPod has done just fine for me.

donavannj
January 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Protip, guys, none of the Apple Handheld Devices support flash. It's a conscious decision they made based on the security vulnerabilities in flash and the fact that as a format (especially flash video) it's on the way out.

When I say flash, I mean the memory type, 90% of the time. Disregard if this wasn't directed at me.

linkinpark187
January 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM
i personally have no interest in Apple products. if i ever have a chance to get into a major career in video and/or photo editing, maybe. but even then i'm only planning on some form of Mac. if you ask me, i think the iTouch/iPad are kind of ugly....with that big black border...blech... :laugh:

Hovo
January 30th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Just a larger version of the ipod touch. Nothing impressive.

Binary
January 31st, 2010, 08:45 AM
It doesn't look so attractive visually.
Hopefully it will stand out product-wise. But I have no interest in this.

Captain Fabio
January 31st, 2010, 09:46 AM
Can not wait for this iPad.
Bottom line is, I am very likely to buy it :D

Niprop
January 31st, 2010, 01:13 PM
"So this must be the iphone for old people.."

Meh, if nothing else, I suppose it could be used as an ebook for collage students. Don't see much use after that, though, unless you really want to carry it around as backup in case your real iphone runs out of power.

Corvus of the Black Night
January 31st, 2010, 01:34 PM
Wow, I didn't know Apple was working with Kotex.

Anti-Hero
January 31st, 2010, 03:15 PM
I don't buy apple products, simply because I can get things with more or less the same functionality at a much cheaper price. Sure, my generic mp3 won't hold as much songs as an iPod, but to be honest, I will still only listen to a select few if I put thousands of songs on their... so... yeah.

The iPad will be no different, I'd rather just get a netbook.

Kaori
January 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM
They just announced it at the Grammy Awards on television. xD Personally I think it's okay, but I'd rather get myself a Netbook as well. As Zet said on the first page, it sounds much like a Netbook with the battery range lasting 10 hours.

Either way though, right now all I want is the iPod Touch so I don't think I'd be getting an iPad anytime soon. It makes me wonder what else the Apple store will come out with next.

winseven4lyf
January 31st, 2010, 05:30 PM
Another overpriced bit of rubbish from Crapple. Is it even a computer? No.. It's an ebook reader, photo viewer, video player, etc. NOT A COMPUTER -.-" I certainly wouldn't pay 1100 bucks for a video player :S

Lucy Lu
January 31st, 2010, 08:50 PM
That looks pretty cool, but I got to see how it pans well with the other notebooks. If it in-sync with the iPod Touch, it won't be too bad. I thinking about getting one in the near future. Maybe by then the prices are going to be a lot lower. XD And maybe they probably have a lot more applications that are useful. I have to see though. It looks nice though.

On second thought...I am getting this! It looks so cool. You can read, check e-mail, use Maps, look at your photos, listen to music, watch tv, watch videos, go online, etc. Here, I found a video about it. You have the internet on your fingertips. Well I don't need the iPod Touch now. I am getting the iPad! XD

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UNnBlMB3L84&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UNnBlMB3L84&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Captain Fabio
February 1st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Another overpriced bit of rubbish from Crapple. Is it even a computer? No.. It's an ebook reader, photo viewer, video player, etc. NOT A COMPUTER -.-" I certainly wouldn't pay 1100 bucks for a video player :S

Over-priced? 1100 bucks?

You don't know anything about it do you?
It is real cheap for what it is you know.
Starting at $499.

twocows
February 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Over-priced? 1100 bucks?

You don't know anything about it do you?
It is real cheap for what it is you know.
Starting at $499.

Yes, $500 for something less useful than the worst parts of an iPod, a netbook, and an e-book reader, and yet more expensive than all three. Sounds reasonable to me!

linkinpark187
February 2nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
lol twocows, i love that. but seriously, for $200-$250 less, you can get a netbook that will do more than this. sorry, but i have no faith in the "mighty" blue apple.

This may be about some older apples, but I still feel it to be true (beware, there's some foul language, bad for little ears):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rEvYETWVK6M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rEvYETWVK6M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Virtual Chatot
February 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm not going to get one until the mobile wireless one comes out, or at the most until it's firmware is jailbroken.

Zet
February 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
That looks pretty cool, but I got to see how it pans well with the other notebooks. If it in-sync with the iPod Touch, it won't be too bad. I thinking about getting one in the near future. Maybe by then the prices are going to be a lot lower. XD And maybe they probably have a lot more applications that are useful. I have to see though. It looks nice though.

On second thought...I am getting this! It looks so cool. You can read, check e-mail, use Maps, look at your photos, listen to music, watch tv, watch videos, go online, etc. Here, I found a video about it. You have the internet on your fingertips. Well I don't need the iPod Touch now. I am getting the iPad! XD

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UNnBlMB3L84&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UNnBlMB3L84&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Sad thing is that you can't multi-task on it, so you can't do everything at once.

Lucy Lu
February 2nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Sad thing is that you can't multi-task on it, so you can't do everything at once.
Really? Oh...darn. Well I still like it because you can access your pictures, e-mail, and go online on it. And it is going to compete with Kindle with their e-reader. It looks pretty cool. That would be great if you can multi-task, but I guess they didn't think of that. Oh well. Still getting it. I hope the internet service they got on it is reasonable.

TheAppleFreak
February 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
Just wait until the OSx86 community creates a kernel or a kernel patch for the A4. Then, we might get multi-
...forgot about the lack of system resources. Never mind.

I'm probably going to wait for the second gen iPad. Given that the rumor mills are starting up again, we might be able to expect a Mac OS X enabled iPad. Or one with a camera. Woo.

linkinpark187
February 3rd, 2010, 05:59 AM
hmm...here's 10 good reasons not to get one (and i'm sorry to those who love apple, but you can't tell me that this article isn't agreeable):

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1324&tag=nl.e101

Enjoy! :D

Bianca Paragon
February 3rd, 2010, 06:22 AM
It's not agreeable.
I'm buying one anyway <3 I do feel sorry for those who don't 'get' it~

Elegy
February 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I want a tablet pc, but this is not a tablet pc... It's somewhere between a tablet pc and a portable media player, minus the portable part and minus the pc. So a tablet media player, basically. Which is nice, but not $500 nice. Though I definitely want something like it in terms of form factor, just not with a similar set-up, price, brand, etc.

I'm guessing that the competition after this comes out will do the same to the tablet market as the mp3/etc market - create a lot of good, if not as popular options. And maybe some of them will run Linux. :)

Bianca Paragon
February 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Running Linux would be an instant path to commercial failure. Look at Android; it was pretty much stillborn :\

.little monster
February 13th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I think this is basically a giant iPod touch, I see it as pointless as an iPod touch would do just fine..for me.

However, I still want one. It's cool..:P