PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Looooooooong Usernames??

winseven4lyf
February 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Just recently, I've seen a rediculously long username, which annoys me because it then makes the column for the usernames go in the "Last Reply" section of the forum, really wide and it doesn't fit all on my screen.

So my sugestion would be to cap username lengths at around 15-20 characters.

I'm not going to say any names, but this person has at least 35 characters in their usernames.

インフェルノの津波
February 1st, 2010, 11:43 PM
Are you talking about me XD?

winseven4lyf
February 1st, 2010, 11:46 PM
I may be :S Sorry, it's just really annoying, because now I have to scroll left and right as well as up and down, and I'm sure it's not just me.

winseven4lyf
February 2nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
I'm talking about really long usernames, like longer than 25 characters.

ShinjisLover
February 2nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
[center]I see no reason for people to have restrictions just because you think it's difficult to scroll over a bit. =/ It doesn't really seem to be affecting my computer, though, so maybe it's just the size/style of font you have your computer set to. It could also be your zoom. =x[/center

Dukey
February 2nd, 2010, 12:21 AM
All the usernames that are longer than about 30 characters are utterly ridiculous, and tbh you really don't need one that long anyway unless you're compensating for something? *shot*

I'd be all for reducing the maximum character limit with usernames.

Sweet Jasmine
February 2nd, 2010, 12:28 AM
I'm using a Wide LCD Monitor, and It doesn't seem to affect me. :/

Ninja Caterpie
February 2nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
My name is exactly 36 letters long?

I find long names ridiculous, but it's their choice, really.

Boohoo, it breaks a page slightly.

Shadow
February 2nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
[center]I see no reason for people to have restrictions just because you think it's difficult to scroll over a bit. =/ It doesn't really seem to be affecting my computer, though, so maybe it's just the size/style of font you have your computer set to. It could also be your zoom. =x[/center

It's not about scrolling over. It's about the usernames destroying the columns on the forums and making everything look incredibly tacky.

That said, I really see no point in a long username. You want people to be able to easily refer to and remember you. Long usernames impede that process (why almost all business websites have short URLs).

Peeky Chew
February 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
I have a wide screen monitor. Half of the screen is actually grey space with the style I use on here. I find it impossible for someone to have such a low resolution they would have to scroll from side to side to see about 430 pixels. Even on the first computer I got, which was released over a decade ago, the resolution couldn't possibly go that small...
The only way you wouldn't be able to see the whole name would be if you were on a mobile.

BHwolfgang
February 2nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Not all of us have wide screen monitors..

Now, I know that members of Pokecommunity are allowed to have a name that is lesser than 36 characters, I find it unnecessary. There's always the user's custom title when one needs to say something long. This is just my opinion, by the way. However, I all for limiting the characters for usernames.

THIRTY-SIX
February 2nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
I have a wide screen monitor. Half of the screen is actually grey space with the style I use on here. I find it impossible for someone to have such a low resolution they would have to scroll from side to side to see about 430 pixels. Even on the first computer I got, which was released over a decade ago, the resolution couldn't possibly go that small...
The only way you wouldn't be able to see the whole name would be if you were on a mobile.Some people use their phones or have a netbook and such. 1280x600 and saying 480px width is not much is saying 1/5 of the screen width isn't much? xD

Anyway I was gonna suggest 24 but seeing ramen post made me want to say make it twenty-two. Px

http://i47.tinypic.com/nd7jgg.png

And that's with the start bar thing on hide.

Peeky Chew
February 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Some people use their phones or have a netbook and such. 1280x600 and saying 480px width is not much is saying 1/5 of the screen width isn't much? xD

Anyway I was gonna suggest 24 but seeing ramen post made me want to say make it twenty-two. PxI said 430 px actually. And even ancient computers have larger displays. So do netbooks, if they had smaller there wouldn't be enough room for even windows xp to display. Of course lots of phones don't (although my 3 year old candy bar style one does), but you can't count them.

Edit: That's 1024 pixels wide, way bigger than the 430 px name including avatar.

THIRTY-SIX
February 2nd, 2010, 09:07 AM
The issue isn't the height. It's the width… non wide screen 17" were usually 1280x1024. wxh

Now I don't know what they are now… but there aren't a lot of kids who can spend hundreds of pounds/ dollars on screens. Or even for that matter have their own computer… well except maybe a spoilt brat though…

Oh it wasn't a 1/5 it was a third. xD

Edit: That's 1024 pixels wide, way bigger than the 430 px name including avata

1280x1024

width by height I believe… oh wait no it isn't

And this is regarding the new posts column…

Black Mage
February 2nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
Not going to happen. You guys can just suck it up and deal with it. An user name is a way for someone to express themselves on a forum and if they want to use the maximum characters, they can.

インフェルノの津波
February 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Um, I spent a day trying to come up with a really unique username, so I'm expressing myself, okay? Don't like it, you can TALK TO THE HAND.

Captain Hobo.
February 2nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
I have a netbook so I don't like long usernames.

THIRTY-SIX
February 2nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
At least leave a gap… also this isn't my default screen size but … and yea I usually use standard but yea…

http://i45.tinypic.com/ixcwgl.png

Serene Grace
February 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Actually, I've been wondering if someone from the admin team could edit the postbit legacy code so that the text on the left is wrapped - this should move the text onto another line when it gets too long.

THIRTY-SIX
February 2nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Without a gap would it make a difference? Also yea kinda singling that guy out in the example. Dx

Mika
February 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Guys it's just a username. :<

I mean hell, you can nickname mister ryo person Ryo. >> And you'll never forget him BECAUSE of his really long witty username.

What's next, the prohibiting of people to make witty usernames because you find them annoying because you 'don't know who's really talking' because of that long username? Or is it the banning of stupid usernames you find stupid because they're too short?

インフェルノの津波
February 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
EXACTLY. Just call me Ryo, okay?

Hospitaller
February 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
I don't have all that much of a preference, but if it annoys you, why don't you adjust the font size on your PC?

THIRTY-SIX
February 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Why not have Ryo ( or shorter) as your user name then? xD

Also how do you make the user names smaller while keeping the posts the same size? Also PC isn't the only place we go so capping the max font size isn't actually practical.

Anxiety.
February 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Oh Jesus Christ. Calm down it's just a username.

Just 'Ctrl' and scroll down, makes the fonts and everything smaller. Problem solved.

Our usernames are our identity, if someone likes their Identity being 'LollookhowlongmydamnusernameisIdiditbecauseIwasbored' then thats up to them. I'll just call them LL (Lollook), problem solved.

jigglyppuff8
February 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Oh Jesus Christ. Calm down it's just a username.

Just 'Ctrl' and scroll down, makes the fonts and everything smaller. Problem solved.

Our usernames are our identity, if someone likes their Identity being 'LollookhowlongmydamnusernameisIdiditbecauseIwasbored' then thats up to them. I'll just call them LL (Lollook), problem solved.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5700/nothing.png
It changes absolutely nothing.

I don't care about all this "originality" and "personality" crap you people keep talking about. I just want this fixed on legacy postbit and on the "Last Post by" thing so I don't have to see this every single time.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
February 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Um, isn't there anyway to alter the way the text reads without cutting down the character limit. I'm kind of a fan of long usernames.

Ah well, doesn't affect me anyway. Hooray for Forever Standing!

poopnoodle
February 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Lol, this is not that big of a big deal. If you're that obsessed with the look of the alignment, switch the post format to standard? You guys are as bad as the FCC; if you don't like it, ignore it. This is stupid. :I

インフェルノの津波
February 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
OH MY GOD. What is with you people??? Yeesh, I'm can't change my username even if I tried, I haven't been on for 4 months. Also, what's your problem with my name??? Give me a break, 32 characters, oh boo-hoo, cry me a river. Don't like, TOO BAD. Better luck next time.

Mr. Downstairs
February 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
OH MY GOD. What is with you people??? Yeesh, I'm can't change my username even if I tried, I haven't been on for 4 months. Also, what's your problem with my name??? Give me a break, 32 characters, oh boo-hoo, cry me a river. Don't like, TOO BAD. Better luck next time.
Though I understand where your anger is coming from, you really don't have to sound so ill-natured about people complaining about your name. I don't really see the purpose of such a long username myself, but others who have long usernames chose that username for a reason. It isn't exactly mine to decide that it should be right or not and I don't see why the administrators would limit the creativity offered to usernames more than they are already. We aren't exactly a strict community to where it comes down to that. You're the one who chose the username. It's your choice of your own online persona. Other people can complain about it all they want, but unless you want to do something about it yourself, there isn't going to be anything that can change that.

But I completely agree with Sav with this. It's not really such a big deal. People are giving this "I don't give a crap" attitude about the fact that usernames represent someone's online persona, while the same can be said about your annoyance on the postbit problem from these extended usernames. If you hate viewing them that much, just ignore the user. That can solve so many problems. I mean, I can understand why it can be frustrating, but that frustration doesn't have to be always. After all, once someone new replies to the thread, it'll be fixed in the forum's page and last post column. Though, then again, this can be easily avoided by using the space bar in usernames, as well... :|

I dunno. Can't say I care. This just seems like such a retarded and childish thing to argue about. Can't say I'm surprised, either.

Peeky Chew
February 2nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
I've found a magicall way to fix this "problem". Just change your forum style so the usernames and avatars are above the posts not below. Like it makes any difference anyway, seeing one persons post a few pixels to the right.

Shadow
February 2nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
I've found a magicall way to fix this "problem". Just change your forum style so the usernames and avatars are above the posts not below. Like it makes any difference anyway, seeing one persons post a few pixels to the right.

As said several times, it interferes with the layout in various locations. It's not a resolution thing, it's not a convenience thing; it just looks incredibly tacky.

If they allow usernames this big, it'd be the same as allowing much larger avatars (which would fit under the stretched borders). They don't allow larger avatars though (also due to loading speed/server space, but eh).

It's definitely not worth arguing about, especially not bringing people front and center. I would like to see administrators force names to wrap though (or not show the entire name when it'd break boundaries).

Peeky Chew
February 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
If they allow usernames this big, it'd be the same as allowing much larger avatars (which would fit under the stretched borders). They don't allow larger avatars though (also due to loading speed/server space, but eh).

It's definitely not worth arguing about, especially not bringing people front and center. I would like to see administrators force names to wrap though (or not show the entire name when it'd break boundaries).Avatars are different, they actually take time to load, are a lot more noticable and, of course, a lot more people have avatars than long names.
I do aggree on the wrap around idea, but it should only be put on the layouts that actually need it.

Ausaudriel
February 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
I added word-wrapping into the legacy postbit, I'll go fix the other columns in a bit. Until then, if anyone uses a style that still stretches let me know, a lot of them have customized templates that won't inherit the changes.

インフェルノの津波
February 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Alright, maybe I was being childish...but seriously, why do you guys care???

I mean, it doesn't make common sense(unless you're all idiots), I mean come on, that's like making fun of someone's real name. Would you make fun of someone named Capricorn? No, right? Because that would hurt their feelings, right?

Well, that's the case here. It's like your making fun of mine and other people's choices of usernames. And it sort of hurts my feelings a bit too, so think about that, and then talk to me, okay?

devilicious
February 2nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
No one is making fun of your name, for god's sake. They complaining about long usernames breaking the forum template, which is a perfectly valid complain- specially when, you see, there are lots of people experiencing this problem. You're not being childish, you're being ignorant. Their problem is not with you, but if you keep this attitude, it will soon be.

Anyway, I'm having that problem too when I use my father's notebook, but on my notebook it works fine.

In my opinion, 35 characters is a bit too much for an username, so I'd see that lowered. But if Neytiri is already fixing the layouts, I guess it should be fine.

Peeky Chew
February 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Alright, maybe I was being childish...but seriously, why do you guys care???

I mean, it doesn't make common sense(unless you're all idiots), I mean come on, that's like making fun of someone's real name. Would you make fun of someone named Capricorn? No, right? Because that would hurt their feelings, right?

Well, that's the case here. It's like your making fun of mine and other people's choices of usernames. And it sort of hurts my feelings a bit too, so think about that, and then talk to me, okay?I think while I'm writing this, a few other people will also be writing replys, so I'll keep it short.
You made your name stupidly long. People got annoyed. A admin changes it so it doesn't stretch pages. Everyones happy. You call them idots...

インフェルノの津波
February 2nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
If you think it's ridiculous, than just say that. I'm not saying anyones making fun of mine or any one else's long username, I'm saying you shouldn't get pissed about it breaking your page.

Maybe 30 characters or more is ridiculous, but that's what I, and I think a few other people chose. If you got a problem with that, then say it to my/their face.

I didn't call anyone an idiot. If I did, forgive me. But tell me this: Why should I change my username? And please give me a proper answer, thank you very much.

ReyRey-Pyon
February 2nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Wow, a username that gets this much attention must be realllllyy important.
Maybe i should make a really long name just to piss people off 8D /not really
I've never been really bothered with it myself.
I'll admit, the legacy style thingy looks weird when the name is all stretching it. but whatevs

Not a big deal amirite?

plus, the admins are working on it so hopefully it won't stretch anymore

Shadow
February 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM

I would mock someone whose parents named them "ThisNameIsTooLongToFitInAnyFieldsThatNeedToBeFilledOut."

Because that would be pretty funny. Hehehe. This is why Shadow shouldn't have kids. He would do something like this. Or profanity.

devilicious
February 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'm saying you shouldn't get pissed about it breaking your page.

Why not? It breaks the forum style, makes things look clunky and is general nuisance. No one is pissed about, we're just making valid complains about something that hinders our forum experience.

But tell me this: Why should I change my username? And please give me a proper answer, thank you very much.

No one is telling you to do that, stop putting words in people's mouthes and pay attention to what you read.

インフェルノの津波
February 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
*Sighs* I can't win this. Whatever, I'll change my name into something shorter in 2 months.

Come on, why are you mad, angry or whatever about this anyway?

poopnoodle
February 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
You're drawing this out way more than it needs to be drawn out, Ryo. Just drop it, Neytiri's trying to fix it for everyone.

Peeky Chew
February 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
If you think it's ridiculous, than just say that. I'm not saying anyones making fun of mine or any one else's long username, I'm saying you shouldn't get pissed about it breaking your page.

Maybe 30 characters or more is ridiculous, but that's what I, and I think a few other people chose. If you got a problem with that, then say it to my/their face.

I didn't call anyone an idiot. If I did, forgive me. But tell me this: Why should I change my username? And please give me a proper answer, thank you very much."I mean, it doesn't make common sense(unless you're all idiots)"
You didn't exactly call everyone idiots, but your attitude did.

Yeah, people were annoyed at your name being too long, but it's way more annoying for you too suddenly be offended after it's all over.
And, if I did use a different forum style that made it stretch, I would say I had a problem with your avatar to your face (meaning VM).

People should really carry this on in PMs.

インフェルノの津波
February 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
That's what I'm doing. I'm flat out giving up. I know when I can't win.

Peeky Chew
February 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
That's what I'm doing. I'm flat out giving up. I know when I can't win.But there's nothing to win, or, for that matter, lose.

インフェルノの津波
February 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Giving up and losing are two different things entirely. So I didn't lose either.

parallelzero
February 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Actually, I think everyone in this thread is a loser. This has gone into unsafe waters, so I'm going to close it. If Neytiri has an update, I'm sure he'll post it. Otherwise, there isn't really a need for discussion.