PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Discussion

A Pixy
February 4th, 2010, 09:09 AM
If you have a 'OMGWTF?' expression on your face, you're in the right thread!

Some new info on Project Needlemouse which is, what everyone knew it was going to be called, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1.

Gamespot Interview and Teaser Trailer (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/projectneedlemouse/news.html?sid=6249445&tag=topslot;img;1&mode=previews)

Questions will be answered there.

Some of them.

So, DISCUSS!

EDIT 1: Since people are wondering what the episodic content is about:

As mentioned, I think the best way to view it is as a first part in a much larger adventure. When Sega released Sonic 3, ultimately it was the part 1 of a story that saw its conclusion in Sonic & Knuckles. In that same spirit, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a bigger story, and this is that first chapter. I think it's also safe to say that by the end of the episode one, fans will be very excited to see what's in store for episode two!

Galukxy
February 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
:O 'OMGWTF' is right lol this game sounds like it's gonna be awesome :D

A Pixy
February 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I know, this SO makes up for the fact that we haven't had a Sonic Rush in years.

Jolene
February 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM
It will probably be good, but it seems a bit too fan-oriented. I respected Sonic Team when they admitted that children are a more valuable market than the fanbase. And then they go and do this...

Fox♠
February 4th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I see they forgot the "0" after the "4"

I'd care more, if you know, it wasn't an over milked over hyped series that saw its prime over a decade ago.

RivalGator
February 4th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I would be excited if they didn't already **** Shadow up.

.Wolfie-kun.
February 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I could help but feel happy inside, since it was Sonic 1 that brought me into video games. Sonic 4 is around 16 or so years late isn't it? XD I reckon they may go the right direction with this, but after reading about the 'Sonic Cycle' I'm a little worried.

Going to go into this feeling cautiously optimistic, the last time I got excited about a Sonic game was Shadow the Hedgehog, and look what they did there >.>

And one more thing, episodic content for a game like this? No, just no ><

Galukxy
February 4th, 2010, 10:01 AM
will shadow the hedgehog be inthis one then??

A Pixy
February 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I could help but feel happy inside, since it was Sonic 1 that brought me into video games. Sonic 4 is around 16 or so years late isn't it? XD I reckon they may go the right direction with this, but after reading about the 'Sonic Cycle' I'm a little worried.

Going to go into this feeling cautiously optimistic, the last time I got excited about a Sonic game was Shadow the Hedgehog, and look what they did there >.>

And one more thing, episodic content for a game like this? No, just no ><

You didn't read the article, did you?

I'm going to say 'no'.

Sonic 3 had a story that was continued in Sonic & Knuckles amirite?

Well, this is just like that.

will shadow the hedgehog be inthis one then??

Actually, SEGA held a trivia contest, and knocked off a bunch of characters. Shadow was one of them. The only ones that just weren't there were Tails, Knuckles and Dr. Robotnik. In the first interview (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/projectneedlemouse/news.html?sid=6216990&mode=previews), it was said that Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik made the games feel like there was enough characters. Like a cast had been filled enough.

Galukxy
February 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
jeez well least they have tails and knuckles in it

A Pixy
February 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Actually, Tails and Knuckles aren't 100% confirmed, it just seems logical if they're in the game though.

Fox♠
February 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM

I'm going to say 'no'.

You gonna stop being an arrogant jerk?

I'm going to say 'no'.

Honestly, I read the article too, and it looks exactly what Wolfie said, episodic. No where do they claim it isn't, and this is Sonic team. They will milk you for every penny they can, and what better way to do it than half finish a game so you have to buy the sequel(s)?

Galukxy
February 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM
You gonna stop being an arrogant jerk?

I'm going to say 'no'.

Honestly, I read the article too, and it looks exactly what Wolfie said, episodic. No where do they claim it isn't, and this is Sonic team. They will milk you for every penny they can, and what better way to do it than half finish a game so you have to buy the sequel(s)?

lol sorry hard ;3 i'm not quiete sure i just hope there are some decent characters i know sonic is gonna be in it duh? but like tails he's awesome XD

Arcanine
February 4th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I saw this around 5:30am when I was bored and got on Kotaku.
I loved Sonic 1, 2, and 3 (plus S&K). I will be getting this game, but after seeing what they've done for Sonic in the past few years.... yea.

Galukxy
February 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM
totally awesome ^^ does anyone know what console this game is for??

Banjora Marxvile
February 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
totally awesome ^^ does anyone know what console this game is for??

Did you read the article? It says on XBox 360, Wii and PS3 as a downloadable thing (so XBox LIVE, PSN or Wii VC)

Galukxy
February 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Did you read the article? It says on XBox 360, Wii and PS3 as a downloadable thing (so XBox LIVE, PSN or Wii VC)

lol awesome i'm so gonna get that got a xbox360 and a wii so no bigee :D

.Wolfie-kun.
February 4th, 2010, 11:55 AM

I'm going to say 'no'.

Sonic 3 had a story that was continued in Sonic & Knuckles amirite?

Well, this is just like that.

I grew up with 1 then 2 then Knuckles, I never owned 3 so I never understood the whole 'Part 1/2' thing back then.

But my personal opinion is that splitting it into more than one part is more for money rather than retro/nostalgic appeal. But that's just my opinion, others may see it differently.

Algo Fonix
February 4th, 2010, 01:52 PM
It'd be nice if, you know, this game were to be half as good as Sonic CD.

Bianca Paragon
February 4th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Sonic CD is one of the poorer titles. Matching up to Sonic3+K is the only thing that matters~

BakingBluePotatoe
February 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
This is gonna be AWESOME!

Now, to get me a Wii...

Wait. Download-only? they BETTER release them on the shelves at some point!
*has mere Dial-Up*

Jeremy
February 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Well sweeties Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is finally here. I would be excited, during the Dreamcast era. But seeing how Sonic is now-a-days. Yeah. I would bash the game before it comes out, but seeing as though it's a 2D sidecroller only, and how good Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure was...I'm holding my judgment till the game is actually out. Till then, if I want to play a new good Sonic game, I'll just play one of the many Sonic 1 hacks out there.

That Episode 1 in the title is really bugging me as well. Sonic with Episodic content? Are they going to charge me per world? Oh well, like I said, I'm holding judgment till I play the game.

P.S. I always felt that Sonic 2 was the best out of the series. But what do I know? I'm just a Nintendo fanboy. XD

Razer302
February 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Its about time they went back to the old style. I loved them games and will definatly be picking this up on release day.

Even if they keep releasing them aslong as they keep it classic 2d style I will get them all.

Aether
February 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm very excited.

So far it seems to hold true to the genesis mechanics, so things seem to be looking up for this franchise.

A Pixy
February 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I think I'd prefer the 360 version. Ignore the fact that it's my only console.

I don't want to use the Motion Controls or the Sixaxis. Is a normal controller so much to ask? ;n;

-Jake
February 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
They sure as hell should make a new Chao Garden for this game. >.< They've screwed up all of the games after Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Advance 2 after they stopped making them.

Jeremy
February 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Is it just me, or does his running animation from the trailer looks more like he's walking, sweeties?

0CrgO5c-9m8

Lilith
February 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
OH. MAH. GAWD!

I literally squealed when I first heard about this project, and the footage is exciting. My only complaint is at around 35 seconds (referring to the video Jeremy posted), Sonic's movement is not as fluid as I would have hoped for...?

However, I have been an avid fan of the series since its prestige on the Genesis, despite its recent blunders, so I am happy for anything the developers produce. All hail Sonic. o/

Aether
February 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah, the running animation seems to be a glaringly obvious flaw, especially compared to the older sprites in the video. Hopefully they'll tweak that up.

Bianca Paragon
February 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
They sure as hell should make a new Chao Garden for this game. >.< They've screwed up all of the games after Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Advance 2 after they stopped making them.
Ew, no, no, NO!
No "Chao's", no "Gardens", no talking Sonic, etc. This is a PROPER Sonic Game, not an abomination like Sonic Adventure.

A Pixy
February 4th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I was wondering why he ran so slow.

Reminds me of his Sonic Battle running animation.

BakingBluePotatoe
February 4th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm sure it'll be fine. It's not the final thing or anything...

also, does anybody feel the sudden urg to go play the Sonic 1 special stage?

http://sonicstadium.org/community/sonic-4-rotating-maze-special-stages-returning

also, look closely at THIS:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/281/90002004.jpg

Oh, SEGA, you sneaky needlemice. x3

Munch Dog
February 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this. It'd definitely be nice to play a new 2D Sonic game. I've pretty much ignored almost all Sonic games after adventure 2.

-Jake
February 5th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Ew, no, no, NO! No "Chao's", no "Gardens", no talking Sonic, etc. This is a PROPER Sonic Game, not an abomination like Sonic Adventure.

Really? I thought those were some of the best parts of the game. xP In my head when I think about it it's a chant of "yes, yes, YES!" And with Internet on all of the systems... that'd be awesome. You could share yours with others along with a ton of other neat features like that.

A Pixy
February 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
OMFG, TITLE MUSIC, HOW AMAZING! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi8bJv2118g&feature=sub)

Blue Nocturne
February 5th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Im really looking forward to this. Regardless of what other people think, i actually really liked Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06 (no matter how much i felt like snapping the disc at times) and Unleashed (yes, even the werehog). On top of that, i prefer the post ShTH voice actors, but thats for another topic, my point is, i think sega are still going strong and this looks really promising.

The only things about the series that i didn't like were the Chao Gardens, Tails pre-ShTH voice acting (and to an extent, Rouge and Shadow's), and Sonic Advance 3 (a personal dislike). I'm also a little annoyed at how Sonic Heroes (and in a way SA2) stripped the characters of their uniqueness and labelled them speed, power or flying, as well as the same levels in the same order for every team, but once again, i digress.

This looks real fun, a sort of nostalgia thing which hopefully will have a good injection of creativity (I'm looking at you, Eggman bosses from Unleashed!). As for the inclusion of the homing attack, fine, as long as it is somewhat useful (i never recall using it much in the rush duo) but not over used.

@ ~KitsuneKat~
Do you refer to the images of what might be gameplay hidden in sonics model? If so, AWESOME! Blue Nocturne likes the zipline

A Pixy
February 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM
And for all you skeptics saying how Sonic's been in a decline, let me say this.

Sonic Team = Steaming pile of PHAIL
Dimps (All the Sonic Advances and Rushes) = Steaming pile of WIN
The new team making Sonic 4 = A bunch of glorified retro-files who grew up on the Genesis and want to see another one of those.

Although I wanted to see that FUNDERFUL Dimps logo somewhere, maybe this new team will step up to the plate.

Ironically, I'm subbed to this guy, who made this video saying how to save Sonic. The only way that that would happen is if SEGA went down the Mario path, or the Mega Man path. Let me quote him:

If you take the Mega Man path, it's not all that hard to do. It simply means accepting, as a given, your franchise's appeal is tied inseparably to its original game play mechanic, and responding by keeping said mechanic more or less constant and make minor, cosmetic tweaks per installment, say for the occasional digression and/or Pokemon rip off. So, you wanna take that path? Super. Hire a bunch of fresh-faced game design grads who grew up on the Genesis and work them to crank out retro-file Sonics [games] for the portables and downloads.

It seems they're going down that path. At least it's just for two (three maybe? That would make it a trilogy...) games.

I just hope they go down the Mario Path later. Now, I'll quote his summary of that path.

...if you want growth, you need the Mario Path, and that one's much more difficult because it means breaking down an entire franchise into it's core parts and overall philosophy and figuring out how to work all those tropes and traditions into an entirely new form.

PLEASE GO DOWN THAT PATH AFTER THIS, PLEASE GO DOWN THAT PATH AFTER THIS! Mega Man 9 was novel, Mega Man 10 feels like they're milking me. >_<

txteclipse
February 5th, 2010, 09:41 AM
also, look closely at THIS:
I see that zipline.

I'm pretty stoked about this game. The only thing I heard that I don't like is that they're adding the homing attack. It would have been cool with me to just keep the insta-shield, and have the homing attack be specific to the fire shield. Other than that, :D

A Pixy
February 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I see that zipline.

I'm pretty stoked about this game. The only thing I heard that I don't like is that they're adding the homing attack. It would have been cool with me to just keep the insta-shield, and have the homing attack be specific to the fire shield. Other than that, :D

Yeah, gotta say I have mixed feelings about the Homing Attack.

The damn thing barely worked and was barely noticeable in Sonic Rush (yeah, Sonic Rush had the homing attack, I never used it), so maybe it'll be designed so we can ignore it.

Also, OMFG, YEAH, I WANT THOSE DAMN SHIELDS!

Fire Shield
Lightning Shield
Water Shield

AND MAYBE EVEN MOAR! 8D

SuperJames
February 5th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I reckon the game looks kinda crap there not even using sprites and what with all the dirt clouds!!! (DAMN YOU SEGA)

Ark Kuvis
February 5th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Sonic is just treading behind Mario, Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Castlevania. NSMBWii and Street Fighter 4 bring fresh concepts to otherwise, a classic title, while Mega Man had a retro fueled romp that hit the Download Marketplaces a while ago. Castlevania got one too, only it hit WiiWare.

It's funny too. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was only really a taste to tide Mario hungry gamers until the new Mario Galaxy comes out. Meanwhile, Sega's "Sonic 4" was created to revive a dead franchise. While Mario's still innovating Modern Day Platformers, he's helping to appease the old school fans too. Meanwhile, all Sonic really has left is the Old School fans, and not even that with release after disappointing release. Sonic tried going narrative, and instead fell flat on Gameplay. See: Sonic 06.

Sonic 4 isn't going to make Sonic a household name again. It'll make a couple hundred sales, but it won't bring back Sonic the Hedgehog. Unless there's a huge Retail release coming...which I doubt.

XCHAMPX
February 5th, 2010, 11:10 PM
sonic was one of the first games i ever played. i like it

Mew~
February 6th, 2010, 06:38 AM
OMG IM SOOO EXCITED!!!! I just saw the trailer!!!! Too bad its not on any handheld... i sold my wii and dont have an xbox or ps3...
Am i the only one to notice this:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6978/hjgu.png
(Prays for DS release)

A Pixy
February 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Super special sorry Mew~...

That's the iPhone... (http://sonicstadium.org/community/sonicthehedgehog4-com-launches)

Mew~
February 6th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Super special sorry Mew~...

That's the iPhone... (http://sonicstadium.org/community/sonicthehedgehog4-com-launches)
You will never get anywhere with that attitude... :\
Plus how was i supposed to know and thats just leaked news =P
Well anyway, that suckzx!!!

A Pixy
February 6th, 2010, 07:39 AM
In other news...

STORY TIME KIDS!

Story thus far:

It began as Sonic’s animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure – The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it’s up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman’s Mecha fly’s away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon – The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles ‘Tails’ Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald. While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.

Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it’s flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman’s fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it’s power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.

But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman’s rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits – and improves – the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins…

Lawl, it picks up right after S&K but updates the names and designs but still manages to ignore every other game in the series. Let's just hope the Sonic fans won't become like the Zelda fans and start debating about continuity.

The Sonic Stadium (http://sonicstadium.org/news/sonic-4-story-leaked-spoilers-inside) is so convenient. n3n

Blue Nocturne
February 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I reckon the game looks kinda crap there not even using sprites and what with all the dirt clouds!!! (DAMN YOU SEGA)

You're kidding right? So 2-D sprite are better than 3-D models? (and finely detailed ones at that) And what is wrong with the beautiful dirt clouds?

Lawl, it picks up right after S&K but updates the names and designs but still manages to ignore every other game in the series. Let's just hope the Sonic fans won't become like the Zelda fans and start debating about continuity.

The Sonic Stadium (http://sonicstadium.org/news/sonic-4-story-leaked-spoilers-inside) is so convenient. n3n

Sorry, but i can't resist.
Methinks it is set between S&K and SA. It may even explain how Sonic learned the homing att- *realises SEGA wouldn't do something nice like that*.

Also, OMFG, YEAH, I WANT THOSE DAMN SHIELDS!

Fire Shield
Lightning Shield
Water Shield

AND MAYBE EVEN MOAR! 8D

Can't argue with that. :D

Jolene
February 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Gameplay is leaked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCVyq0SJwwY

It looks very nice, yes?

Munch Dog
February 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hmmm... yes, this definitely seems like it will be reminiscent of the old Genesis titles. That is a very good thing.

ソラ
February 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I've been playing Sonic 2(I still have the original Cart for it. But cant find my Sega Dx). So I had to get it on the wii. But so I've just wanted to beat it again. I cant wait till Sonic 4 tho :3

Crystal-Heart
February 17th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 should be great, since its returning to the old style. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2's Sonic & Shadow stages. Hopefully Tails and Knuckles will become playable to perfectly continue the Sonic 3 & Knuckles, easily the best game in the series, feel I'm getting from this game.

Thank goodness people here don't seem to be as bad as the people on the official Sega forums, complaining about them using the Modern Sonic as if it ruins the entire game..although including Classic Sonic as a bonus character would be great for nostalgia.

Jeremy
February 17th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Actually, I'm kinda excited for Sonic 4 as soon Sonic hackers rebuild Sonic 4 for the Genesis using Sonic's 1 source code so I can play it in it's 16-bit glory, sweeties. XD

Gunn
February 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Looks like Sega isn't going to be behind this one:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/02/sega-not-developing-sonic-4/

TheRichar
February 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
OMG!! i didn't even know there was goining to be a Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but SEGA isn't developing it!?! That's weird

A Pixy
February 18th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Looks like Sega isn't going to be behind this one:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/02/sega-not-developing-sonic-4/

I cried tears of joy when I saw that.

Thank you SO MUCH! 8D

Great Mazinger
February 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM
You're kidding right? So 2-D sprite are better than 3-D models? (and finely detailed ones at that)

2D vs 3D, especially in games such as 2D platformers and fighters that don't make use of three dimensional movement is a very subjective thing, although to show disdain for the game just because it uses 3D character models is a little silly in my opinion.

Personally I like seeing fluid 2D animation being used,but I also know how much more expensive and time consuming that process is getting as people make games for the HD consoles. Sonic's model doesn't look half bad in this anyway, although seeing how fluid the animation in the Sonic Advance series makes me wonder what Dimps could do with 2D assets in HD,

Dunsparce
February 19th, 2010, 07:59 AM
The only sonic games that are worthy of any praise are the little-known Master System Titles and Sonic 1-3 for Genesis.

Everything after that sucked monkey balls.

I will have to wait and see if this game is worthy of anything. I'm not too happy that Shadow's in it, though D:

Jolene
February 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
The only sonic games that are worthy of any praise are the little-known Master System Titles and Sonic 1-3 for Genesis.

I downloaded the Master System version of Sonic 1 on my Wii. It was not very good at all.

Sarcasticus
February 19th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I watched some leaked footage of this game, it's good that they're going back to a simpler style, but there are issues:
-No improvement or innovation: yay, it's like playing the old sonic games again with better graphics, but.....it's JUST like playing the old sonic games again with better graphics...
-Slow looking: the feeling of speed is gone, it moves about as fast as the levels in Brawl.
-Strange physics: sonic seemed rather floaty contributing to the feeling of playing on the bloody moon.

So these are my first impressions, IMO, the fans who are aking for an old schooled sonic game will get what they want, but won't be satisfied anyway.

A Pixy
February 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM

/ (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_and_Knuckles)S (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Advance)t (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Advance_2)r (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Advance_3)o (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Rush)n (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Rush_Adventure)g (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Adventure) H (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Adventure_2)i (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_CD)n (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Heroes)t (http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Unleashed)

Not too fond of Unleashed, but it doesn't outright suck.

I watched some leaked footage of this game, it's good that they're going back to a simpler style, but there are issues:
-No improvement or innovation: yay, it's like playing the old sonic games again with better graphics, but.....it's JUST like playing the old sonic games again with better graphics...
-Slow looking: the feeling of speed is gone, it moves about as fast as the levels in Brawl.
-Strange physics: sonic seemed rather floaty contributing to the feeling of playing on the bloody moon.

So these are my first impressions, IMO, the fans who are asking for an old schooled sonic game will get what they want, but won't be satisfied anyway.

My rebuttal to this are:

-Mega Man 9 had the same thing, at least this is just one game in the series. Mega Man 10 is coming soon and Mega Man 11 is probably coming too.
-Play Sonic 3 and see how fast Sonic goes, 'kay?
-I'm assuming that's because it's still in its Alpha so, time will tell.

BTW, fanboys are never pleased, especially Sonic fanboys. >_>

Jeremy
February 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Wait...wait...wait...wait. Dimps is developing the game? This changes everything sweeties! =D Now I'm getting it.

But still...I'll have a bad feeling of treating this game like it's Sonic Rush/Sonic Advance.

Great Mazinger
February 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM

I will have to wait and see if this game is worthy of anything. I'm not too happy that Shadow's in it, though D:

I don't know what kind of weird version of Sonic 4 you've been looking at.

Also I found Sonic Advance 1 to be a pretty good game.

A Pixy
February 19th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Looking at the levels...

Splash Hill Zone: Looks like Neo Green Hill Zone from Sonic Advance 1.
Casino Street Zone: EVERY SINGLE CASINO LEVEL FROM A SONIC GAME! (Not that that's a bad thing, I love Carnival Night and Night Carnival from Sonic 3 and Sonic Rush)
Mad Gear Zone: Reminds me of Crazy Gadget from Sonic Adventure 2...
Lost Labyrinth Zone: Another reminder of SA2? Lost Labyrinth

cjlaw
February 21st, 2010, 06:12 AM
This game will be a terrible attempt to get old fans intrested again. Team sonic has been making crap games for ages now, and I am suprised people buy these rubbish games now. Sonic has gone well passed it's prime and should be put out of it's misery now.

A Pixy
February 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM
This game will be a terrible attempt to get old fans intrested again. Team sonic has been making crap games for ages now, and I am suprised people buy these rubbish games now. Sonic has gone well passed it's prime and should be put out of it's misery now.

I agree completely.

Thank GAWD Sonic Team isn't making this, amirite?

Fox♠
February 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=This Name is Exactly 36 Letters Long;5565041-Play Sonic 3 and see how fast Sonic goes, 'kay?
-I'm assuming that's because it's still in its Alpha so, time will tell.

BTW, fanboys are never pleased, especially Sonic fanboys. >_>[/QUOTE]

At least Sonic 3 had fluent animations.

Haunter Master
February 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
They've already said that the animations seen in the preview are not his fastest speed nor his fastest animation. And there's like 3 or 4 different Sonic Teams. I just hope that "???" as the last system isn't iPhone OS. It was originally leaked as being on the iPhone OS, but later the image was changed to N2, which is arcade. For those of you who wanted a PC version, the N2 Version would be your best bet. Just like Blazblue, someone will make it run on PC.

A Pixy
February 22nd, 2010, 09:07 AM
They've already said that the animations seen in the preview are not his fastest speed nor his fastest animation. And there's like 3 or 4 different Sonic Teams. I just hope that "???" as the last system isn't iPhone OS. It was originally leaked as being on the iPhone OS, but later the image was changed to N2, which is arcade. For those of you who wanted a PC version, the N2 Version would be your best bet. Just like Blazblue, someone will make it run on PC.

True, the best members of Sonic Team have up and left leaving nothing but a bunch of thick-headed idiots completely ignorant of the fanbase they're oh so trying to please (some might say piss off, but what'cha gonna do?).

Also, I don't think Fox was talking about his speed. If schlee was, then yes, that isn't Sonic's fastest animation. I think it was in the leaked footage, but it was for, like, half a second and it looked like that figure eight sprite from Sonic CD.

Gunn
February 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM
... as little as 400MS on XLA? This might be a hoax or whatever, but I don't mind if it's real, durrr.
http://www.sonicretro.org/2010/02/more-sonic-4-screenshots-leaked-on-partnernet/

A Pixy
February 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
OOH! A DECENT PICTURE OF EGGMAN! :D

I'll ignore the fact that they're using the ball boss for the umpteenth time though.

Looking at him, it looks like they're going for his Sonic Adventure 1 model. A good choice, I thought Heroes' and 2's model was a little stiff and 06's model was actually nice to look at, but it just wasn't Eggman.

Weird, they made a poor design choice with Sonic (his ShtH model? Really? Out of all the decent models of him, you go for one of the worst? Even the one from Heroes would've been better. AND HIS HEAD IS WAY TOO PEE-HUCKING H00GE) they made the best one for Eggman. >_>

KillingAlien250
February 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Yes!Can't wait for it!!!I saw a video styled like sonic XG(Fangame)And it was like sonic the hedgehog 4.It wasnt like that, however.Sonic the hedgehog 4 will be 3D.

A Pixy
February 26th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Umm...

No, it won't. That was confirmed nearly half a year ago. ._.

Taichi
February 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Any body read this? Fans are trying to boycott Sonic 4 by buying Sonic 1. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178122

My opinion, same as this guy here:

Oh man, seriously WTF... I'm a fanboy of Sonic, no doubt about it, by why does most fans of Sonic make themself look so f**kin stupid, i was happy for Sonic 4, hell i like all the Sonic games that came out, from Sonic Adventure 2 Battle to Sonic Rush i loved them all, still had issues with 06 but it dosn't matter. Seriously WTF! There is a rare 5% of fans of Sonic like me, that are happy with what they get and don't b**ch or complain about stupid s**t, seriously i understand why people hate Sonic fans and i can't f**kin blame them, which pisses me off, my own fan base is full of f**kin retards and because of that, the 5% of us that don't care have to f**kin suffer for it......

What is wrong with Sonic 4? Last i checked our fanbased b**ched for a Sonic game like the orignal and we got it, but no that wasn't f**kin good enough! I bet Sega's pretty much like what the f**k? Sonic is the greatest question in there place and a simple question is asked. "How f**kin stupid are Sonic fans and how much money can we get from them..." The anwser, apparently a f**kin lot!

A Pixy
February 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM
YAY, I get to tl;dr.

I think the reason that people are pissed at Sonic 4 and saying that it can't be a true successor to Sonic 3 is that it isn't made by Sonic Team. Logically, this should be a good thing, but think about it, Sonic Team had they're own style. The way they made 2d Sonic side-scrollers back when they didn't suck and blow at the same time was partially why Sonic got so famous in the first place. Now, originally, SEGA wanted to make a 2d Sonic side scroller, but realized Sonic Team was too taken up to make it making SA2. SEGA decided to look for a team that was worthy of making a Sonic game in 2d. They found Dimps. So while Sonic Team made they're last Dreamcast Sonic game, SEGA got Dimps working on the original Sonic Advance. The game was a massive hit with fans and SEGA let them make two more Sonic Advances. Originally, Dimps were simply trying to emulate Sonic Team's original games. They did use the current Sonic model, but the atmosphere did feel quite retro in terms of the graphics and music. In fact, Sonic Advance 3's Sunset Hill Zone was a total tribute to Green Hill Zone, right down to the music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rcr0MGbWpw&feature=related). Now, when Sonic Rush came around, I guess Dimps decided to stop emulating and try to make they're own style. They knocked it up to 2.5d changed the music by getting the people who did the sound track for the Jet Set Radio games and even made a couple characters. Now, I'm sure the fans were happy with the Rush games. They still considered the Genesis games the holy grail, but this was something separate. Now, Dimps has been put at the helm of Sonic 4, something which is going to be the successor to their holy grail. THEY WANT IT TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE GENESIS GAMES IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. Now, seeing as how Dimps is making this, they're not incorporating they musical style, but they are incorporating they're graphical style and that's what people are pissed about. Looking at the article, people are saying the want a true successor to Sonic 3 and Sonic 4 isn't going to cut it as they just see Sonic Rush HD. And to be honest, that's kinda what it is. Dimps isn't trying to emulate the older Sonic games, they're doing it they're own style. They think that this can't be Sonic 4 unless it pulls a Mega Man 9 or something like that. What they see in buying Sonic 1 (as stupid as it is), is they want to show what a real Sonic game should look, sound and play like. They were waiting for Sonic 4, Dimps simply can't do that no matter what they did. They are not Sonic Team, Sonic Team isn't even the old Sonic Team. Right now, the Sonic 4 as a concept is impossible. Dimps can't do that, Sonic Team right now can't do that, no one can do that. This is simply the best Dimps can do and they're calling it Sonic 4 to try to get someone hyped up.

Tl;dr version: Dimps can't emulate Sonic Team's original games no matter how hard they try. The game will still rock, but they just aren't Sonic Team no matter what.

TRIFORCE89
March 1st, 2010, 06:37 AM
I love that to complain about how Sonic 4 looks, and that they want a "true" successor to Sonic 3, they decide to buy Sonic 1.... when Sonic 3 looks very different from Sonic 1 and 2.

I'll be honest. I've never been much of a Sonic guy. I grew up with Nintendo and Mario. My neighbour had a Genesis and when I would go over, I'd play a little Sonic. But not enough to really appreciate it at all. Just a few minutes worth.

I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 (that advance the original Advanced were the first Sonic games I owned), and...that was about it. XD

I want to give Sonic 1-3&Knucles, CD, and Advance1-3 a go to see what the fans love so much. I played through all the Mario games last year, so only fair to do Sonic this year I guess XD

SolarAbusoru
March 1st, 2010, 09:06 AM
BTW, fanboys are never pleased, especially Sonic fanboys. >_>

I'm the exception, I enjoy most if not almost all of his games.

Anyways, my impression of Sonic 4... a bit of a step back, at least it's a download title and not a retail item, and at least DIMPS is developing it, so hopefully it won't be too far of a step back, judging by the Rush games. In fact, Sonic 4 is the only game I've actually been concerned about (besides Shadow the Hedgehog.)

karlyle
March 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
As long as it lives up to its name, I'm happy.

dumbpikAchu
March 3rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
I never expected needlemouse to become sonic 4.. KEWL! :D :cool:

:t273: I love Seedot. (wow that was random)

Benjamin510
March 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Love this so much! Love the 3D Newtron Just WOW

mama luigi
March 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
What is your favourite zone? You can even post a single act! Mine is Sky Sanctuary Zone with Knuckles! I <3 fighing with Mecha Sonic!

Shadow
March 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
They're all awesome but, in order of most awesome to my one hated level:

Death Egg Zone
The Doomsday Zone
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Launch Base Zone
Flying Battery Zone
Lava Reef Zone
Icecap Zone
Marble Garden Zone
Angel Island Zone
Sandopolis Zone
Mushroom Hill Zone
Hydrocity Zone
Carnival Night Zone

シーツー
March 14th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I like Ice Cap Zone and Hydrocity Zone best since they got neat music. But in fact they're all great.
I used to be stuck in Carnival Night when I was a little kid due to this strange box. That's why it's the most annoying level to me in this game.

thedestinedblade
March 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Ice Cap Zone is probably the one I remember most. Nice level design plus some sweet music.

Aether
March 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Probably Angel Island, Carnival Night, and Lava Reef, they're the most memorable. Angel Island and Lava Reef have those neat environment transitions between acts, and I remember Carnival Night because of that damn barrel.

A Pixy
March 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Anyways, my impression of Sonic 4... a bit of a step back, at least it's a download title and not a retail item, and at least DIMPS is developing it, so hopefully it won't be too far of a step back, judging by the Rush games. In fact, Sonic 4 is the only game I've actually been concerned about (besides Shadow the Hedgehog.)

Me and you both.

As long as it lives up to its name, I'm happy.

I never expected needlemouse to become sonic 4.. KEWL! :D :cool:

:t273: I love Seedot. (wow that was random)

Weird, everyone else sort of did. Including me.

And yes, it is KEWL!

Love this so much! Love the 3D Newtron Just WOW

._.

Aether
March 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Me too, except '06 and Black Knight.

This is looking pretty good so far. 5 zones, 15 acts, Super Sonic accessible in all levels. And it's supposed to be only around $5-$10 USD.

GodofPH
March 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I have to say this disappoints me. I really wanted Sega to stick with the Sonic Adventure style games. Those were some of my favorites when I was younger, and I've been put off by games like Heroes, Secret Rings, Unleashed, and now this because Sega's trying to pander to 90's fanboys by hearkening back to the old styles. Nothing wrong with the original formula that propelled the franchise to where it is now, but I want love for Shadow!

loliwin
March 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
This game looks like Sonic Rush. :D Which I loved actually.

I just think Sonic deserves to be 2D or 2.5D. Not 3D. Never liked any of the 3D games. Also, this game only costs a few dollars. Less than other sonic games. :)

xPsychosocial
March 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Icecap zone. Best stage ever. <3

Aureol
March 18th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Oh my gosh. A new Sonic game for the original series? I'm SO there.

This makes me want to play S3&K for the billionth time.

Scratch and Grounder (SSSSS Squad)
March 20th, 2010, 07:58 AM
No! That hedgehog gets a GOOD game? That's so unfair! all we got was Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine!

Jolene
March 20th, 2010, 08:16 AM
No! That hedgehog gets a GOOD game? That's so unfair! all we got was Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine!

What's wrong with Mean Bean Machine?

Scratch and Grounder (SSSSS Squad)
March 20th, 2010, 08:22 AM
What's wrong with Mean Bean Machine?

It's a puzzle game! We want an action game!

Crystal-Heart
March 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM
My favorite zone in the TRUE Sonic the Hedgehog 3?

I'd have to say its Flying Battery Zone thats my fav.
I was disappointed that Hidden Palace Zone wasn't the original version taken out of Sonic the Hedgehog 2's beta however, it looked so beautiful.

IceSage
March 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
My favorite zone in the TRUE Sonic the Hedgehog 3?

I'd have to say its Flying Battery Zone thats my fav.
I was disappointed that Hidden Palace Zone wasn't the original version taken out of Sonic the Hedgehog 2's beta however, it looked so beautiful.

I actually prefer the Sonic 3 Hidden Palace Zone... The blue tones and large, sparkling, but somewhat dark, cave-like background appeals to me. (Although, the stage is too short...) Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone, seemed like an underground pile of dirty caverns, with bright green emeralds covering almost everything.

My favorite zone is the Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3. I enjoy both the level, and the music. I've so many remixes on my computer... (Even though it's a way overdone remix... I still enjoy it from time to time.)

Brendino
March 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I love playing in Sky Sanctuary against bosses from past games (well, only two, but still) as Sonic or Tails. I also loved playing in Mushroom Hill Zone when I was younger, because I loved the music... even though I could hardly ever beat that level.

Brendino
March 24th, 2010, 07:02 PM
This game looks like Sonic Rush. :D Which I loved actually.

I just think Sonic deserves to be 2D or 2.5D. Not 3D. Never liked any of the 3D games. Also, this game only costs a few dollars. Less than other sonic games. :)

Has there been any mention as to how much it costs? I've been hearing a lot of different numbers, and I was just wondering if anyone knew yet.

A Pixy
March 25th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I was wondering when this was gonna be merged.

Since I made the thread, I'll change the subject.

Favourite Music

Seaside Hill, Grand Metropolis, City Escape (doi), Unknown from M.E. (xD), Green Hill Zone (also doi), Rooftop Run (Guitar + Violin = GOOD? :O), Skyscraper Scamper, Arid Sands...

List goes on for days...

シーツー
March 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Oh yes Sonic probably has one of the best game soundtracks ever. I like almost all of them xD
But my favorites are...
-Catch me if you can (I like the original one a bit better than the ZG one though it's also good)
-Live and Learn
-Unkown from M.E.
-It doesn't matter
-Metropolis Zone (Sonic 2)
-Chrome Gadget <3 (Sonic 3)
-Hydrocity Zone (Sonic 3)
-Icecap Zone (Sonic 3)
-Hidden Base Zone (SA2)
-Sand Ocean
-Supporting Me (Biolizard)