PDA

View Full Version : Can't Open Anything! Help!

Konekodemon
February 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I am having trouble with my computer here. Everything I click on I get the open with window. What is going on here? I get that with .exe files like firefox and Yahoo! Messenger, and I can't open them unless I run as admin. How do I fix this problem?

Konekodemon
February 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM
How is that going to fix anything?

Rukario
February 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I am having trouble with my computer here. Everything I click on I get the open with window. What is going on here? I get that with .exe files like firefox and Yahoo! Messenger, and I can't open them unless I run as admin. How do I fix this problem?

first up, scan your computer for viruses and malware with a QUALITY AV and antimalware app

If you're clean, then the app you are trying to open is likely wanting admin access to run/install. There isn't much else you can do about that until the app writer updates the program.

TheAppleFreak
February 7th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Reinstall Windows. Something probably screwed up the registry.

BakingBluePotatoe
February 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM

You just need to download and run NT Regopt or soemthing. or Easy Cleaner.

I think.

twocows
February 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Run a virus scan, then try using this (http://www.winhelponline.com/exefix_xp.com) and see if it fixes anything.

You get a Mac.
Troll elsewhere.

How is that going to fix anything?
It won't. It'd probably give you more problems.

first up, scan your computer for viruses and malware with a QUALITY AV and antimalware app

If you're clean, then the app you are trying to open is likely wanting admin access to run/install. There isn't much else you can do about that until the app writer updates the program.
Important to do, but this probably won't fix your problem (though it will fix the root source of it). It's likely that a virus screwed something up.

Reinstalling Windows is not a solution, it is a last resort.

You just need to download and run NT Regopt or soemthing. or Easy Cleaner.

I think.
"Registry cleaners" rarely do anything besides screw your computer up and sometimes fix broken file associations, and while file associations are the problem here, a registry cleaner is STILL unlikely to fix it because it is a filetype that is supposed to be pre-programmed to execute.

Melody
February 7th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Use Windows System Restore. Roll back to the date before the problem appeared. Usually this works for fixing broken registry entries.

Also make sure you scan for viruses AFTER DOING the system restore. You don't want to unpack the virus from your backups.

AFTER disinfecting your computer/verifying it's clean.....

Lastly, delete ALL your system restore points and create a NEW, CLEAN restore point. If you skip this step and something goes wrong again, you'll be sorry.
(This can be done from the System control panel usually)

Konekodemon
February 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks a lot! *Rolls eyes* Now I can't start my computer up at all unless it's in Safe Mode!

linkinpark187
February 8th, 2010, 06:40 AM
you can do a system restore from Safe Mode. give it a shot. if it doesn't work, then you'll have to use your last resort (which is reinstalling the OS). if you're using Vista or 7, then you don't have to worry about losing your files, as either one will shove those in a folder called "Windows.old". there is a rare chance that it will delete the files, but i haven't seen it happen yet (and i've done well over 30 installs). the only reason it should delete any files is if the user initiates it. but again, this is only if you're using Vista or 7.

your programs, on the other hand, or irrecoverable, and must be reinstalled from the CD/DVD's that you have (if you have any), or downloaded and installed back onto your computer.

Konekodemon
February 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I can't re install the original software, I don't have any disks.

donavannj
February 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I can't re install the original software, I don't have any disks.

Most modern machines have hidden emergency restore partitions on the hard drive. Pay attention during boot up and watch for "Boot-Up Options" or something like that. I'll get back to you in a couple hours on what that might be.

twocows
February 8th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks a lot! *Rolls eyes* Now I can't start my computer up at all unless it's in Safe Mode!
In response to what action did this occur? Also, please specify what version of Windows you are using (XP, Vista, 7, or other).

Zet
February 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
You get a Mac.

You'd have more problems with a Mac than would with Windows 3.0

Also if your laptop/desktop didn't come with disks then it must have came with a recovery partition.

HackMew
February 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I've fixed a similar problem in a friend of mine's computer. The .exe file association got corrupted by some malware, I suppose. Reintalling and restoring the system are last resort options for now. Since you can at least boot in Safe Mode, I would suggest fixing the file association first. Specifying the OS you're using would be useful though.

Mewtwolover
February 22nd, 2010, 04:17 AM
Looks like user rights are screwed. Run gpedit and check that you are allowed to run programs. Read this for more information about gpedit: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/group_policy_editor.htm