PDA

View Full Version : Laptop LCD screen question

Feign
February 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Okay so I realize the two most common problems with an LCD screen are dead pixels and leaked blobs. Now, in my case, neither of these are the problem. To best describe my problem, I'd have to say that they look brown. I have a number of spots (two bigger ones and a few smaller ones). They are more or less shaped like circles.

The best thing I can think that they are is just a diminished backlight, but I'm not sure this is correct. As the two bigger ones are like vertical inverted barcodes.

Anyone know the name? Thanks.

Gerri Shin
February 8th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure of the name of it, but it sounds like you've got a few spots of (what I'll call) burn-in happening.

Feign
February 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Wouldn't that be more constitant with the whole screen, as opposed to a few splotches? Of course the splotches don't image like either... Just a sort of darker colour. :S sorry for the lack of description.

linkinpark187
February 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Do you have a camera handy that you can take pics with? And I'd have to agree with Gerri_Shin. About how old is the monitor?

Feign
February 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
The laptop is about 2.5 years old (from first being used). It has been used in a great deal though. And if I did leave the top open, it wouldn't be longer than 10 minutes before the black screen would appear to prevent any sort of burn in.

I'll be sure to take a photo then. I dled a pixel showy thing, so it will be a blank colour. The photo won't be up for about another 5 hours though.

linkinpark187
February 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Ok, I'll be awaiting the photo, then. :D

Feign
February 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Here are a couple photos I took with the background being entirely of one colour (so as to show the discrepancies a lot easier)

Btw, is there such thing as semi-burnt out lcd lights?
http://i49.tinypic.com/e6zr0w.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/o5c1g8.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2webdc1.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/34tbvbd.jpg

twocows
February 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
It just looks dirty, to me. Try washing your screen with a microfiber or other soft cloth and either distilled water or a distilled water/white vinegar solution.

Feign
February 8th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Definitely not dirt. I used the macro setting on the camera, but I still see that it is slightly out of focus X_x

linkinpark187
February 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Macro mode will only be clear if it can on focus on one thing, but with the screen constantly refreshing, it will never be able to focus on the spots. It could even be burn-in, where an image that sits too long is "burned" into the screen. Other than that, I'm not sure, other than I agree with that it looks like it's just dirty. Definitely not dead pixels, though. If it's not dirty, then it will mean a replacement LCD, unless the brown doesn't bug you much.

ADD: I just found this via Google. Very interesting, as it seems you aren't the first to experience this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=253419

Feign
February 9th, 2010, 12:45 PM
That could make sense, that it could be dirty on the inside. Though I doubt I'd want to pursue such a thing, as I'd probably do more harm than good.

The reason why I was wonder was because, I was looking at Sony's trade in program, and they have some minimum standards, when sending in a laptop.

Here is the quote:

Bad or Damaged Display
The following defects qualify the display as either 'bad' or 'damaged' for the purposes of this trade. By selecting 'no' from the drop down menu for Bad or Damaged display, you certify that the LCD does not contain any of the following defects:
Dead Pixels
There are two occurrences which define a dead pixel: a 'lit' pixel, which appears as one of several randomly placed white, red, blue and/or green pixel elements on a dark background; or a 'missing' pixel, which appears as a black dot on light-coloured background.

A maximum amount of (5) dead pixels will be accepted for the purposes of this trade. Dead pixels in excess of (5) will render the display 'bad' for the purposes of this trade.

Cosmetic Defects
A display defect whereby an LCD display exhibits vertical or horizontal lines and is not due to a defect of the laptop itself; any chips, nicks, scratches, white spots or other cosmetic defects that are noticeable while the display is in either the 'on' or 'off' position.

Electronic Defects
An Electronic Defect where by the backlight of an LCD display no longer emits light and has not yet reached its expected useful life. A backlight outage is typically noted by a dim display or byfading at the edges of the display. If any of these defects are present, please select 'yes' for the drop down menu for Bad or Damaged Display. A standard deduction of 50% will be calculated in to your final trade-in value.

----

Can't 100% if I have more than 5 pixels out though

linkinpark187
February 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
but that doesn't seem to be the case though, as you can still see light through the dark spots, and they definitely don't seem to be any of those colors. it doesn't really seem to be burned out either, so that only leaves one thing left, and that's dirt trapped on the inside, which is not under Sony's no list. You're in luck! :D

Feign
February 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Then it is just the issue of the pixels, I can't count the small things, but it looks like I might have 3-4 if not more.