• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of parents who swear in front of their kids?

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I think that parents who swear in front of their children should be ashamed. It's bad, because it teaches bad words to the children.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
pfft* yeah i've seen it all before, its so lame it just brings shame.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
Well in denmark when you say for example S*** or F*** it isnt meant litterally, its just a way of saying damn. I pretty sure i dont know a single person who hasnt said F***.
But if a parent says it infront of a 3 year old kid (In any country) the kid wouldnt even know what it meant. Swears are most often a way to express yourself when something goes wrong or not as it was supposed to. Tell me wouldnt you say f*** or something if you were driving a car and you crashed into a sign on the motorway and the airbag was deployed? probably, right?

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
It doesn't matter. The kids are going to learn it somewhere.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Tell me wouldnt you say f*** or something if you were driving a car and you crashed into a sign on the motorway and the airbag was deployed? probably, right?

I would not. Fudgecakes, perhaps.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
It doesn't matter much to me so long as the parent doesn't abuse them or use them is frivolous context. My parents cursed in front of me all the time when they were expressing how angry they were, such as, "you damn well better ****ing clean your goddamn room, son!!" To this day, while I curse a fair bit more than average, I usually do it to express anger, sarcasm, or some other emotional extreme.

But when I see parents in public with their kids using curse words in contexts like, "$5.00 for a slice of pizza? Oh, hell the **** no!!", it makes me a little sad for the kid to be honest...

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
That our culture taboos certain words is stupid. Even more stupid is that it taboos ones that aren't particularly offensive; are waste and sex ("s" and "f," respectively) really so terrible that to speak of them in public should be a taboo? It's a bunch of nonsense, if you ask me. And that's exactly what I'd tell my children.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
Years
i don't think parents should swear in front of there children, especially if they are small. i was babysitting on time and i couldn't believe the words the kid was saying.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
Years
Nah. It's not that bad. My parents never swore infront of me and by the time I was 5 I knew almost all of them.

Maybe thats just my area. But they'll find out anyway.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I would not. Fudgecakes, perhaps.
*Just before hitting the streetlight while driving a car.* Aaah, mother-fudgecakes!

Seriously, it is unacceptable for parents to swear in front of their kids, when they can help it. Even if not, they should at least make an effort to avoid using them at all.

*PrincessPika-chu*

Pokemon Lover
Years
Well, it's different if a parent doesn't do it on purpose. Like if the mother is in the car with the kid and the mom spills coffee on herself, and something slips out.

What I dislike is when grown people use bad words over and over in everyday conversation, and not thinking of it...use it in almost every sentence--in front of the kid.

Over time, we just learn not to repeat it. Then when we kids get older, and our parents know darn well we use the words ourselves, they stop caring, and start cursing, which is okay by then.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
Because it instills rudeness and a lack of consideration for the mental integrity of other human beings particularly when the swears are directed at other humans. /Common sense

It's just words. Why is it that these words are off limits, yet other similar insulting words are not?

Years
Swearing isn't bad on its own. It's just words you use when you're angry or upset and like a lot of things little kids don't yet know what the words mean beyond that.

It's only bad when someone else hears a kid swear and gets the wrong impression because they assume kids fully understand what they're saying and that they have bad parents because of it.

Back