PDA

View Full Version : There goes my stomach again... but I can't eat!

Honest
February 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
As a Muslim, I am supposed to fast for a whole month. Fasting is when people (in Islam) don't eat from sunrise till sunset. I can fast the whole month, but I die from hunger. xD

So my question to you is: Do you think you can fast for a day? a week? a month? even more?

reyzn
February 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I could probably fast for a week, if I had a reason to like religion. However, if I was merely doing it to see if I could last, I don't think so. ^^;
I snack too much throughout the day!

txteclipse
February 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Well I'm underweight as it is, so probably no. I fast other things, like t.v. or internet time.

supertails
February 11th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I could but I wouldn't want to.

Anxiety.
February 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I could. I eat alot, but I could stop.
But I don't think I should, I'm already classed as underweight on the BMI whateveritscalled.

That said, I don't gain weight from eating, ever. So if I fasted I would go even further underweight and I would end up being dangerously underweight, not so good.

.little monster
February 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I have fasted for two months in a row before. Not because I am religious, but because I wanted to know what it was like.

Medli
February 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I don't think I could make it through even a day. I guess it's from inherited genes, but I have a really fast metabolism (I think that's the term, could be wrong. It's something like that), so no matter how much I eat, I get hungry within the hour and it's impossible for me to gain weight. I may gain two pounds from dinner, but all that is gone in an hour. So, I'm already underweight as it is and I'm not even on a diet. It really sucks. I'd probably end up in a hospital after a week with no food.

Well, maybe it's not that dramatic (the metabolism thing and needing constant food is true, though). Who knows? Maybe if I tried it, my body will surprise me, but I don't think so.

Oh, and just wanted to say that I admire all of you that can fast like that, because I could never ever do that. : P

Edit: I mean, I'm almost finished with dinner as I'm typing this, and I still feel hungry. So, yeah. I need my food.

thedestinedblade
February 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
A day is probably my limit. I have stomach problems that pretty much prevent me from eating when it starts acting up. Even with that, I still feel hungry and it's pretty hard resisting. :D

Timbjerr
February 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I've fasted for a week before...more because I couldn't afford food than for a religious reason.

As a Catholic, the longest fast I've had for a religious reason was 30 hours, and that was relatively easy. :D

Virtual Chatot
February 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I fasted for two weeks before (drinking a ridiculous amount of fruit juices) without any problems in the summer.

The first thing I demanded to eat was a spicy chicken fillet from Wendys XD

Esper
February 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
If I'm properly focused or distracted I can go a long time without eating, but having no food all day tires me out. I'm pretty sure I could do it for a month, not that I have any reason to.

I wonder what Muslims who work nights do. Seems like it would be easier for them since they'd sleep during most of the time they're supposed to fast.

Samme!
February 11th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I really wish I could have the self control to fast, but unfortunately, if there's food, I'll most likely end up eating it.. :/ So basically, I'm not sure if I could or not, but I did end up fasting, my parents would probably think I'm becoming anorexic and make me eat ;P

Raichu1988
February 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I could probably fast for a few days or maybe a week. But, in all honesty, I don't think I could fast for very long. If I had a reason to, I would. But, since I don't, I never have.

I fast with my electronics from time to time when I have important things to do, and it really sucks since I am addicted to my 360. >.<

True Reign
February 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
If I ever fasted, I would probably suffer from extreme exhaustion since I work out pretty much every day.

XCHAMPX
February 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I guess if i was muslim i couldnt make it on the football team with all that weight and muscle id lose from fasting that long haha

Saltare.
February 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Ha. No!

Maybe an hour...or two, tops.

But a MONTH! No way dude!

Cassino
February 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
As per the Islamic fasting, eating only when the sun is not in the sky, I'm nocturnal so it goes without saying how that would go for me.

As per simply not eating at all, I'd have to be forced to, really. I lack any willpower or reason to do it.

XxDawnfanxX
February 11th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I would do my best, I eat pretty much whenever I can as I love food. I really do give Muslims a lot of credit for their dedication to their religion and making that sacrifice that would take me a while to try and adjust to doing for even a week, none the less a whole month.

HeidiMoose
February 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I fasted for two weeks when I turned 18, but that was mainly because I was horribly depressed. I have to eat quite a lot during the day. The only time I'm not hungry is when I'm depressed and I have a lot on my mind.

Food makes me happy.

Leo7507
February 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'm quite skinny, so I probably wouldn't fast.. and I like eating food so I'd rather not fast xD

Jesus oƒ Suburbia
February 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I fast for a whole month every year.
Not because I'm a believer..
It's because Islam is forced upon me by my parents.

It does wonders for your figure.

And fasting isn't really that hard for Muslims; they get used to it.
The only thing that get's annoying is a persons mouth drying up, you're allowed to run water through it; just don't swallow.

I don't remember missing out on any physical activities, while I was fasting.

Neko
February 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I would easily be able to pull off fasting for a day. However, I think it's pretty safe to assume that I would reach my breaking point after a few days. xD Though there was one point in my life where I would randomly go a week or so eating very little. I think that was due to the fact that my hunger is surpressed after going a while without eating, and sometimes the hunger didn't return until I ate a lot. o_O But nowadays I can't afford to do that, what with sports and all it's hard enough just to retrain myself form not over eating.

mondays suck
February 12th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I'm underweight although I love eating almost as much as my computer, so no. So, even if I - which is very unlikely - wanted to fast, I shouldn't because it would probably be unhealthy for my already low weight.

Blue Nocturne
February 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm technically underweight, but the same BMI index had 'Fat' and 'Very Fat' instead of Overweight and Obese, so i'm not trusting it.

I probably could do it for a while, but i have no reason nor compulsion to. I eat quite a lot, and i snack often so i would reach breaking point after a while, but as an Atheist, i have religious reason to fast. I've done it for medical reasons in the past though.

Kura
February 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
:/ I'd personally think fasting makes you gain weight cause your metabolism and stuff has to adjust and that it's unhealthy. :/ I thought as people, we should be eating 6 small meals a day to keep our body functioning.

I wouldn't wanna fast because I wouldn't want to mess up my body. Eating keeps you healthy (overeating doesn't) but I don't see why someone would let something (even if religion) keep them from being physically healthy.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE
February 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Today, because I was in a state of stress-induced panic, I didn't eat anything during the two lunch breaks I had today. I just forgot! I opened up my lunch-box to find my sandwiches sitting there and was quite shocked(!) If I said to myself: "Don't eat for one day!", I probably would to spite myself.

I did once go on a fast for charity, but I had Home Ec. class and didn't want to waste a perfectly good fry-up...

♣Gawain♣
February 12th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I can't stand without food in a day. I must have food or I'll perish.

Ash
February 12th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Haha... Unless I'm sleeping the whole day/become nocturnal, I don't think I can fast. XD I may have accidentally done so a few times when there was no food in the house/I was too lazy to make/get anything. Other than that, I have only gone with food for a day once, and that was when I had no appetite, nor did I even felt hunger.

Flame Claw
February 13th, 2010, 02:04 AM
No. I can't go for an hour without eating, let alone a month.

Ayselipera
February 13th, 2010, 07:15 AM
If I really had to then I think I could. I'd just preoccupy myself with other things. It wouldn't be an enjoyable experiance though. :3

Kishijoten
February 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I dare not. I don't think I can fast for a day. Maybe couple of hours but maybe if I occupie myself with something busy to do then maybe just maybe I might be able to fast a day.

RCMF13
February 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't be able to fast for a day.

I can't go the daytime without eating something.