PDA

View Full Version : No-bump posting

twocows
February 12th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'd like to see a feature where you can post in a thread without bumping it. Kind of like saging on a lot of those anonymous imageboards, but in forum-form.

Cassino
February 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
And that would help anyone... how? The reason for not posting in threads over a month unposted in is because the people that were there won't be paying attention to it anymore, leading to annoying things like unanswered questions for the new poster; in light of this, posting new threads is encouraged, which newer people with notice and this in turn encourages more general activity. Saging is just done for that kind of "lol I'm doing this and nobody knows" feeling and could add nothing to this site but database errors.

twocows
February 12th, 2010, 11:45 PM
And that would help anyone... how? The reason for not posting in threads over a month unposted in is because the people that were there won't be paying attention to it anymore, leading to annoying things like unanswered questions for the new poster; in light of this, posting new threads is encouraged, which newer people with notice and this in turn encourages more general activity. Saging is just done for that kind of "lol I'm doing this and nobody knows" feeling and could add nothing to this site but database errors.
So you say, but I wouldn't have recommended it if it isn't something I'd actually use. I've had the urge to not to bump a particular thread to the top a great many times; specifically if I have something significant to add to a thread that only one or two people are really watching.

Shadow
February 13th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Bumping isn't allowed in most of the forums here, so an addon like this would be quite useless. If you want to bring a post up, make a constructive post to add to the topic. If it's an older topic, make a new one.

I really don't see the point of this on PC. This is not an *shudder*shudder* Anon board. This is not a board for posting advertisements that need to be bumped weekly (the only real forum I've seen use such a feature effectively).

Cassino
February 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Bumping isn't allowed in most of the forums here, so an addon like this would be quite useless. If you want to bring a post up, make a constructive post to add to the topic. If it's an older topic, make a new one.
Actually there is no explicit rule against bumping once before the thread 'dies', although that said it could be deemed spam at the reviewing staff member's discretion.

So you say, but I wouldn't have recommended it if it isn't something I'd actually use. I've had the urge to not to bump a particular thread to the top a great many times; specifically if I have something significant to add to a thread that only one or two people are really watching.
Okay say it were like normal posting limited to the same approximate month rule (I initially had the impression you wanted to post in some really, really old threads but perhaps not?), but simply didn't move it to the top of the first page, that would seem all good and dandy, but...
The admins will first of all probably dismiss it as unnecessary, and it could be argued to go against active discussion... Oh plus you'll have people saging threads left, right and centre with the moderatrors not noticing. I guess they could have some kind of special view setting that lets them see all threads as though posted in normally, but who's going to go to the trouble of scripting that (or something) I wonder...

It's just more trouble than it's worth, imho.

Went
February 13th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I still don't know why would it be any useful D: I mean, chances are few people would ever see your post if the thread stays hidden under pages and pages of more recent threads. If you want to reply to a thread from 2005, remake the thread and let people who never bothered searching for it in the first place show their views as well.

Shadow
February 13th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Actually there is no explicit rule against bumping once before the thread 'dies', although that said it could be deemed spam at the reviewing staff member's discretion.

"Bumping" is spam as when you "bump" a thread, you usually only say the word "bump" which is both spam and violates the character rule.

As I said in my post, if you want to bring a topic up on PC, make a constructive post to add to it.

.Bullet
February 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a rule where you could make a constructive post in any thread under 60 days (two months) of creation as long as there isn't a new one.

If that's what you're talking about, twocows.

Honest
February 13th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I don't see what good that would do to the community, to be honest. Sorta pointless. : /