PDA

View Full Version : Using other languages

FreakyLocz14
February 15th, 2010, 09:55 PM
May we speak in a language other than English here at PC?

Forever
February 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM
If a thread/topic is asking what other languages you can speak - and examples of it, then yeah. Signatures? Yeah. Posts, generally no, since it'll confuse other users (since this IS an English based forum), unless you provide a translation at the bottom.

Shadow
February 15th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I don't believe PC has a set rule on it, but I know on most forums that it is frowned upon. The reason being is that moderators do not speak every language in existence and in order to do their job, they need to be able to read every post in their respective forums. So, if you post in a language they can't read, they can't do their jobs.

The problem with providing a translation at the bottom is, well honestly, who's to say someone isn't lying or softening their translation (IE: they use profanity in German but use kinder words in their English translation)?

Like I said, I've never seen PC give a clear answer on it, but foreign languages are banned on every other forum I go to for such reasons.

Ninja Caterpie
February 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Sure, but nobody's going to understand you, unless you're directing it at someone who will.

Drew
February 15th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Sure, but nobody's going to understand you, unless you're directing it at someone who will.

Actually, posts that are strictly in another language are generally deleted as spam.

The only way to get around that is if you also translate what you say into English, in the same post. For example, if you type something out in German, then below it just rewrite in English, and that can work. That way you everyone else can still understand what you said, and we know you're not breaking any rules, etc.~

Yuoaman
February 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Actually, posts that are strictly in another language are generally deleted as spam.

The only way to get around that is if you also translate what you say into English, in the same post. For example, if you type something out in German, then below it just rewrite in English, and that can work. That way you everyone else can still understand what you said, and we know you're not breaking any rules, etc.~

The only problem with that translation isn't cut-and-dry... There are some words and concepts in other languages that could be tricky to translate properly into English... :\

Hiidoran
February 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
The only problem with that translation isn't cut-and-dry... There are some words and concepts in other languages that could be tricky to translate properly into English... :\Unless you're using an idiom or a play-on-words... almost any language can be translated to another with little problem. Basic Linguistics can teach us this. :D

Besides, if you can't find a translation, the logical thing to do is just not post said message. I mean, this is an English based forum, so just post in English. I always kinda thought this kinda went without saying.:x

Marluxia
February 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM
Technically there's no rule about it, but it's generally frowned upon. If it comes up in a thread (ie, the DCC, people are talking about knowing other languages), it's acceptable to do a few phrases in the post in another language, or carry on a conversation with someone else in another language so long as you either provide a translation or some English discussion as well.

This is an English discussion board so your posts are, for the most part, expected to be in English. It's moderator discretion as to whether a multilingual post is acceptable or not. You won't get an infraction for it (unless you do it repeatedly after being asked to stop), but if you can avoid doing it unless in specific situations, it's probably for the best.