PDA

View Full Version : Bad game in my opinion

jmadude
February 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Does anybody else feel that Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were pretty much the worst pokemon rpg game there is. I mean after all the new events and functions that pokemon S/G/C gave us one would think that pokemon Ruby and Sapphire would be filled with better functions. Ruby and Sapphire only introduced abilities, contests, and better names for berries and that's it, they couldn't even put animations on the pokemon and made it really hard to re-battle trainers. Emerald was better since it gave the player more to do and introduced the battle frontier, an improved phone and better pokemon animations. Ruby and Sapphire could have been a lot better but for some reason they lacked the excitement that other pokemon games gave us.

RHCP
February 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM
It is expected for Emerald to be better, as it is a Remake. Personally, I *loved* Ruby and Sapphire. They didn't just introduce Contests and Berries, they introduced Hoenn and the Third Generation.

jmadude
February 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'm not talking about the 3rd generation I loved it, but I'm talking about the story line and the features that the game lacked. I mean after G/S/C the game lost a lot of the features that would have been great to implement, just think about Ruby and Sapphire with the Day and Night system that would have made it a little better.

mattman324
February 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Nope, but Gen1 might be. Sure, they jumpstarted pokemon. Sure, they were a national phenominon. But what was so GOOD about them that no fan seems to be able to do them wrong? The sprites were horrid (Look at Porygon's green sprite, it looks like a GSC, but it's Yellow was... ugh.), many aspects of the game were broken (The critical hit ratio? Base speed/256. For high/crit attacks? Base speed/64. Which means Venusaur's Razor Leaf and Persian's Slash ALWAYS critted.), and there were glitches abound.

You mention that it was hard to rematch trainers. In RBY, you couldn't, and GSC had THE EXACT SAME SYSTEM, only YOU COULDN'T HAVE EVERYONE'S NUMBER.

Animations? Doesn't matter if it's GSC, Emerald, Platinum, Diamond or Pearl, or Heart Gold and Soul Silver, it's just extra fluff/artificial game lengthining.

"Only" those things? So it didn't introduce about 136 new pokemon?

EDIT: DON'T EVEN TRY to bring up the Clock from GSC. That thing not only sucked majorly for those of us who mistakenly set it, but it LITERALLY sucked: The game's inner battery died so quickly because of it.

Moltres111
February 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
The only bad thing about Emerald was the Match Call.

The surfing was acceptable in my opinion. IF you brought a Repel. ^_^

But yeah, R/S weren't really good. They lacked that really cool storyline that Emerald had. It also lacked the coolest cutscene ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmLtt6zc9s

^^ click that if you have no idea what i'm talking about.

jmadude
February 16th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah they were able to do cutscenes and so much more but why they didn't do it I don't know. The region of Hoenn wasn't that great because it had water almost everywhere and I know it's in a tropical zone but they could have added more land. I didn't really get how Groudon was a problem I mean "Look out he's going to tan us to death!" that's not a big problem, it would have been if there had been ice in the region, but hey look another thing the game could have added.
EDIT: I still have my Crystal game and it still hasn't frozen or anything, Ruby and Sapphire had a clock and more GBA capabilities but they didn't use them. Like I said before I'm not talking about the pokemon I'm talking about the storyline and functions.

Okami Chi
February 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Does anybody else feel that Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were pretty much the worst pokemon rpg game there is. I mean after all the new events and functions that pokemon S/G/C gave us one would think that pokemon Ruby and Sapphire would be filled with better functions. Ruby and Sapphire only introduced abilities, contests, and better names for berries and that's it, they couldn't even put animations on the pokemon and made it really hard to re-battle trainers. Emerald was better since it gave the player more to do and introduced the battle frontier, an improved phone and better pokemon animations. Ruby and Sapphire could have been a lot better but for some reason they lacked the excitement that other pokemon games gave us.
I wouldn't say the were terrible or pointless, but yes, Emerald was better. But that's with every version. Yellow (to me) is better than red and blue, same with silver gold, ect. I think the where not the worth though. I think silver or gold where my least fav. I still love them, but I didn't really like any of the Pokemon from that series. Unlike the others where I have 5-20 that I like.

"Shadow Lugia"
February 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I have two large annoyances with R/S/E:

1. The tiny amount of post-game content.

After the large post-game on G/S/C for GameBoy/GameBoy Color, you'd expect something just as good or better on a GameBoy Advance Pokemon game. Here's all there was to do post-game in R/S:
-Go on the S.S. Tidal
-Go through the Battle Tower
-Find and battle Latios/Latias
-Battle Raquaza

Emerald did make some improvements, but the only games with less to do after beating the Elite Four are R/G/B/Y, which is understandable since that was on the original GameBoy. Also, since those were the first games, the developers were probably more concerned with getting everything else right than trying to add a lot of post-game content. However, I don't get why they made such a small post-game for a Pokemon game on the GBA when Game Freak had already done very well with the post-game for G/S/C. I wasn't expecting a complete region, but I was at least expecting something like the Battle Zone in D/P/Pt.

2. Half of the routes in Hoenn are water routes.

This has always been my largest annoyance about R/S/E. The previous statement isn't an exaggeration, either. Exactly 17 of the 34 routes in Hoenn are water routes. I could maybe see 10, but 17? That's way too much. Aside from the direction the route's facing, there are basically no aesthetic differences between water routes. In addition, most of the trainers have similar Pokemon. Due to all of this, I get bored incredibly quickly while going through water routes.

Despite these two major cons I posted, I still like R/S/E a fair bit. However, I do prefer all the other main series games much more.

Wings Don't Cry
February 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah they were able to do cutscenes and so much more but why they didn't do it I don't know. The region of Hoenn wasn't that great because it had water almost everywhere and I know it's in a tropical zone but they could have added more land. I didn't really get how Groudon was a problem I mean "Look out he's going to tan us to death!" that's not a big problem, it would have been if there had been ice in the region, but hey look another thing the game could have added.
EDIT: I still have my Crystal game and it still hasn't frozen or anything, Ruby and Sapphire had a clock and more GBA capabilities but they didn't use them. Like I said before I'm not talking about the pokemon I'm talking about the storyline and functions.

You do realize Fr/Lg had even less features right? Also Groudon can cause many problems if there is a drought then you'd probably dehydrate to death and if the region of Hoenn becomes too hot all the ice in the sea would melt changing the fresh water to salt water ratio in the ocean.

Virtual Chatot
February 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I have to agree with Shadow Lugia, post game content was horrid.

Thank god for Pokemon Box; I had to restart my games over and over again out of sheer boredom and I would have lost hundreds of hours worth of Pokemon.

Silhouette
February 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Nope, but Gen1 might be. Sure, they jumpstarted pokemon. Sure, they were a national phenominon. But what was so GOOD about them that no fan seems to be able to do them wrong? The sprites were horrid (Look at Porygon's green sprite, it looks like a GSC, but it's Yellow was... ugh.), many aspects of the game were broken (The critical hit ratio? Base speed/256. For high/crit attacks? Base speed/64. Which means Venusaur's Razor Leaf and Persian's Slash ALWAYS critted.), and there were glitches abound.

You mention that it was hard to rematch trainers. In RBY, you couldn't, and GSC had THE EXACT SAME SYSTEM, only YOU COULDN'T HAVE EVERYONE'S NUMBER.

Animations? Doesn't matter if it's GSC, Emerald, Platinum, Diamond or Pearl, or Heart Gold and Soul Silver, it's just extra fluff/artificial game lengthining.

"Only" those things? So it didn't introduce about 136 new pokemon?

EDIT: DON'T EVEN TRY to bring up the Clock from GSC. That thing not only sucked majorly for those of us who mistakenly set it, but it LITERALLY sucked: The game's inner battery died so quickly because of it.
This.

But personally, I liked all the games. RSE perhaps being my favorites.

Muffin™
February 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
2. Half of the routes in Hoenn are water routes.

This has always been my largest annoyance about R/S/E. The previous statement isn't an exaggeration, either. Exactly 17 of the 34 routes in Hoenn are water routes. I could maybe see 10, but 17? That's way too much. Aside from the direction the route's facing, there are basically no aesthetic differences between water routes. In addition, most of the trainers have similar Pokemon. Due to all of this, I get bored incredibly quickly while going through water routes.

Despite these two major cons I posted, I still like R/S/E a fair bit. However, I do prefer all the other main series games much more.

Someone didn't bring max repels...

Waki Tobaye
February 16th, 2010, 02:28 PM
The only bad thing about Emerald was the Match Call.

The surfing was acceptable in my opinion. IF you brought a Repel. ^_^

But yeah, R/S weren't really good. They lacked that really cool storyline that Emerald had. It also lacked the coolest cutscene ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmLtt6zc9s

^^ click that if you have no idea what i'm talking about.

This.

And consider the great Pokémon from that generation (Chimecho!!!! =D)
Epic. Win.

Calvo819
February 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
i thought Fire Red and Leaf Green were terrible. i liked RSE more

Timbjerr
February 16th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I must be the only one that wasn't bothered by the amount of sea routes in Hoenn. Sure, it was fairly easy to get lost and sure, you're always beeing harassed by Tentacool/Wingull, but at least it goes by quickly with RSE's fast surfing speed, and Dive was a pretty cool HM. :D

Now as far as the story goes, it could've been better. I like how they tried to make it more epic than the prior Team rocket plots, but it does all fall flat when you realize just how silly the whole thing was. At least it didn't go as overboard as DPPt's Galactic storyline, and at least we got some cool legendaries out of it instead of the lame dragon trio. :P

GenII is still my favorite overall though...

Nikorasu
February 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Woah woah woah woah, did you say what i think you said? Sapphire and ruby are the WORST games for pokemon?

You need to take a good look at P/D/PT mate.

umbreon_4_life
February 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Woah woah woah woah, did you say what i think you said? Sapphire and ruby are the WORST games for pokemon?

You need to take a good look at P/D/PT mate.

Uhhh... Did you just say that D/P/PT are the worst games?! Somebody forgot FR/LG! Not trying to offend anyone or anything, but still.

Nikorasu
February 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM
i actually quite liked FR/LG

Jesh
February 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Uhhh... Did you just say that D/P/PT are the worst games?! Somebody forgot FR/LG! Not trying to offend anyone or anything, but still.

Fr/LG was CHALLENGING. They had an elite four that was fun. Sevii Islands. that thing gary gave you when you beat him on Nugget Bridge. VS SEEKER. FUN GYM BATTLES. What did D/P/PT have? A lame ass elite four. battle frontier is laaaame as all hell. VS Seeker. It was completely unchallenging. And the pokemon were TERRIBLE :|

Yoshimi
February 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hoenn and the Third Generation.
Lol @ how this is supposed to be good.

Fr/LG was CHALLENGING.
My brother almost beat the game with Venusaur alone, no level grinding.

that thing gary gave you when you beat him on Nugget Bridge
Fame checker was the biggest/worst novelty item ever. Like I want to know if Mr. Fuji used to be a scientist.
At least Platinum gives you some background on Cyrus firsthand.
A lame ass elite four.
You're completely right, if you meant an E4 that has brain cells.
Steven, Wallace, and Lance got monotype teams, so they automatically lose.
Gary had pathetic pokemon until the rematch, where he fetched a useful Tyranitar.
It was completely unchallenging.
Did you ever beat the game without level grinding or using ubers?

It wasn't the worst, as far as I would go(personally, Johto was the worst in terms of everything barring pokemon, since Johto was unoriginal and I personally would like a new huge region instead of a crappy, half region that was visited once before.), but it was pretty irritating.
The surfing was annoying, and Dive didn't make it better. Putting a cherry on a pile of crap doesn't make the crap much better.
So yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Calvo819
February 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
tier list of pokemon games (rpgs on handhelds ONLY)

God Tier = GSC
Top Tier - RBY
Mid Tier - DPPt
Lower Mid Tier - Pokemon Pinball >:3
Low Tier - RSE
Fail Tier - FrLg

Nikorasu
February 18th, 2010, 03:45 AM
It wasn't the worst, as far as I would go(personally, Johto was the worst in terms of everything barring pokemon, since Johto was unoriginal and I personally would like a new huge region instead of a crappy, half region that was visited once before.), but it was pretty irritating.
The surfing was annoying, and Dive didn't make it better. Putting a cherry on a pile of crap doesn't make the crap much better.
So yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

You say Johto is the worst? Unoriginal? So you want a whole new region. Well good luck on that. More pokemon to add the the list of 400+.

Soon you'll be lucky even to find a zubat.

Johto was the best. Sinnoh was the worst.

Sinnoh did not entertain me at all. Team galactic had the worst ideas ever. (i mean going to that wind factory was idiotic) Whereas Team magma and team aqua had an awesome plot. The invasion of the weather centre was very clever. The fact that there was two teams in it made it even more interesting. Also when you have emerald you got to fight both of the teams.

Hoenn made me really enjoy the years i had it.

Sinnoh has around 13 legendarys; The worst battle frontier ever; Pokemon that look like the developers were either on crack cocaine or ran out of ideas; and the worst of all, the most boring storyline ever. Arceus looks like a wimp compared to something like Mewtwo or Ho-oh.

Also can anybody remember the first movie?

Where mewtwo and mew were claimed to be the most powerful pokemon in the world of pokemon?

Well what happened to that quote? Johto managed to stick to that with Lugia and ho-oh. Hoenn did untill Deoxys came out, but i haven't looked up on deoxys enough to see whether or not he is more powerful.
Sinnoh just absolutely blew it.

Man, that was an abomination.

/rantend

GlitchCity
February 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM
no no no no no no no. Dont forget this is due to technology at the time. The GB color was released somewhere in early 2000-2001. GBA came out in 2003. RSE had full color, double battles, running shoes, EVs and IVs, diving spots, weather effects on routes, secret bases, contests, better berries etc. I think RSE was a step up from GCS. And hoenn was original, it was a freakin reboot people. I couldnt enjoy GCS until after I beat my sapphire version.

Maybe the reason why I liked FR/LG so much is that I didnt get a change to play the original RBY games until after I bought emerald. I think FR/LG owned RBY imo.

Johto was the best. Sinnoh was the worst.
Sinnoh has around 13 legendarys
half of those legends are not consider legendaries because there is no myth or story tied into it. Shaymin, manaphy, regigigas, and heatran, do you think that they are legendaries? I like to call them sub-legendaries

Directorate
February 21st, 2010, 07:41 AM
My favorites were ruby/sapphire/emerald actually :D They were my introduction into pokemon, they have a great story, great pokemon, classic graphics, and it was just all-round awesome!

Yoshimi
February 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM
Soon you'll be lucky even to find a zubat.
Because going clockwise around the region for a quarter of the game sure is fun.
Johto was the best. Sinnoh was the worst.Sure. Johto was just so unique. It even had a town covered in snow, a haunted mansion, ruins stuck in the mountains, a different dimension, and an island specifically made for the battle frontier.

Sinnoh did not entertain me at all. Team galactic had the worst ideas ever. (i mean going to that wind factory was idiotic)It's called flavor. Johto and Kanto lack it, and Hoenn has too much of it spread unevenly.

Whereas Team magma and team aqua had an awesome plot. The invasion of the weather centre was very clever.How so? Take over this place/get some research. The only difference is that this wasn't 11 floors bigger and Team Rocket got a palette change.
The fact that there was two teams in it made it even more interesting. Also when you have emerald you got to fight both of the teams.And they are both equally stupid and unsuccessful. So what if there's an extra team?
Sinnoh has around 13 legendarys; The worst battle frontier ever;OMG 13 legendaries!!!1!!11!one!
…Wait, why did that matter again? Oh right, it never did.

There were only two battle frontiers :/

Pokemon that look like the developers were either on crack cocaine or ran out of ideas;They actually got more specific and creative. I don't know what is going on through your head if you think
http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/109.png>http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/dp/459.png

and the worst of all, the most boring storyline ever. Arceus looks like a wimp compared to something like Mewtwo or Ho-oh.I can't stress enough how Pokemon isn't meant to have a storyline.
And looks don't matter. Blissey would like to have a word with you.
Also can anybody remember the first movie?Irrelevant, the anime was never meant to be tied in with the games, unless you really think it's possible for a Pikachu to KO a Rhydon with electric attacks by aiming for the horn.

Where mewtwo and mew were claimed to be the most powerful pokemon in the world of pokemon?Times change >__>
It does if you are following the most popular method of the chronological order, which is that Kanto and Hoenn are roughly set in the same period and Johto and Sinnoh are roughly set in the same period.

Well what happened to that quote? Johto managed to stick to that with Lugia and ho-oh. They serve different purposes.

Hoenn did untill Deoxys came out, but i haven't looked up on deoxys enough to see whether or not he is more powerful.^

rockshock28
February 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM
Hoenn was my favorite, then Johto, Kanto, and Sinnoh. I am a little biased due to the fact that my first game was Emerald, so it was completely original to me, but it had a decent plot. Emerald was much better than R/S, because of the new story, and the epic cutscene mentioned above. And, I don't really get what is so annoying about water routes. There's a magical thing called a Repel that can make the Wingulls and Tentacools go away. And, for the record, Sinnoh was awful. I can't speak about Platinum, because I only played Diamond, but it just sucked. The thing that I hated the most though, is how they tried to make it all 3D. It looked horrible.

.Gamer
February 21st, 2010, 09:08 AM
Hoenn was fun. It wasn't my favorite, thats Johto, but its like, 1000000000000x better that that garbage dump they call Sinnoh. I liked a lot of the pokemon that were introduced. The surfing really wasn't that big of a problem, I think you people are just lazy :P .

I liked the Dive thing too, that was fun (and really over looked). Contests were fun I guess, I never really did them though. They were the first games I played with a Battle Tower (didn't buy Crystal until around December), and it was fun to me.

Those are the Pros.

The Cons:

Super-Lame and super easy Elite 4 (Blaziken anyone?).
The legendaries were kinda lol.
This is when the bad guys started getting pretty lame.
Winonna's Altaria likes many mans, and walled me like a mother.

Overall, it was a pretty good Gen. I rank it 3rd overall (wow coincidence?). They had some pretty cool Pokemon (Walrien, Wailord, Flygon, Absol, etc) and the Dive HM was fun. But the difficulty simply wasn't there.

Johto > Kanto > Hoenn > Bowel Movements > Sinnoh ( I really hated Sinnoh)

Honest
February 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Ruby/Sapphire were okay with me. Not the best game, and not nearly as good as the remake Emerald... but it really didn't exceed my expectations. And it lacked the cut scene Moltres111 was talking about. : P

ChrisTom
February 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Well...

The problem with Pokemon games (the ONLY problem in my opinion) is that after the Elite 4 there is nothing to do. Of course prima always says "Y0u can c0ntinuu teh ADDv3nture after u b34t teh Gamez! LOLZ WHARFLE?!" But that isn't always the case. This is especially true for R/S, where after you beat the game there is literally NOTHING LEFT TO DO!! And that is why Johto was so succesful. You explore an entirely different region after beating it! There is still a plot left! And that's what players crave. A good plot. If there is no new plot it gets boring. I'm sorry you didn't like the game, but it happens. In my opinion the games are like this:

Johto > Kanto > Sinnoh > Hoenn. I slightly (ever so slightly) like Sinnoh better than Hoenn.

aquatorrent
March 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Actually, i love Hoenn region, and of course i like Ruby and Sapphire Versions although you said there are nothing to do if we already beat the elite four. When Emerald comes out, it made me more excited :D

curiousnathan
March 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I love pokemon in general and I am sure many others do as well, but there a few thigns I do not quite like.
Although most people like Gen III I personally have to agree with you on sayig that Gen III R/S/E were the worst games I have ever played. I just didn't find it fun. At all.

Bela
March 11th, 2010, 10:11 PM
It's been pretty much said already, but I strongly agree with R/S being the worst main series games.

After having played Blue, Yellow, and Gold, R/S was just really disappointing for many reasons. The first and foremost reason was that it was this generation that you could not trade with previous versions, so essentially we had to start all over again without having access to any of the Pokemon previously owned.

Second, the game lacking the palette changes for day and night seemed really strange considering they managed to implement this in GSC.

Third, the designs of some of the Pokemon seemed highly associated with the version's color. Camerupt is a good example of this. Red body, blue circles on its side. Yes, it's Ruby and Sapphire you're playing! Something about this just made me feel like Pokemon was being bastardized.

The regis were big, awkward, and uninspiring. They seemed like really dumb counterparts to the other versions' legendary trio. Legendary birds, legendary beasts, legendary animated pieces of earth? Which doesn't belong?

Pokemon Box, Game Boy Player, Jirachi Bonus Disc download, e-card battles. Ruby and Sapphire also was the first generation where they tried to supplement your playing with several extras, that way they make even more money off of you without having to create anywhere near as good a sequel as games like Gold, Silver, and Crystal would otherwise demand.

Bomberman
March 11th, 2010, 10:12 PM
It was good at the time, having all the upgrades and all from GSC, but yeah it was pretty weak over all. Battle frontier was legit though.

Myles
March 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Someone didn't bring max repels...

If you need to repel half the game, then you're only left with... half a game. Besides, there's not really any reason too. In Hoenn surfing wild Pokemon rarely appear. You'd find more trainers than Tentacool.

The surfing really wasn't that big of a problem, I think you people are just lazy :P .

How's that lazy? Surfing isn't difficult, it's harder to get through a grass route.

Also, I don't really see what was so good about Dive. It had some potential, but it certainly didn't meet that potential. Most of it is just one random, empty, straight line cavern, no Pokemon, scenery, or people. Then the rest has a bit of coral, but nothing much really.

asterisk
March 11th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I have so many favorite Pokemon from the Hoenn region, but I do agree with most of the people saying that R/S was the most lacking out of the series so far. D'X

Klofkac
March 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I think Rubby and sapphire doesn't suck, but Emerald is way better.

empty streets
March 12th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Don't know what your problem is, but I never was so excited while playing a newly released game as I was when I was playing Ruby/Saphire. Maybe because of all of those new pokemon.

Nightrider434343
March 15th, 2010, 10:31 PM
FRLG were worse than R/S/E in my opinion. At least they showcased some new pokemon.

~Hot n' Cold~
March 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
No way.
Hoenn rocks.
Good Pokémon, nice levels.
I don't know what you're talking about, especially with Emerald.

Amarantine
March 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I personally think (and i've said it before on other topic) that the game i hate the most is the 4th gen, Sinnoh. To start with, the starters. I always preferred the fire starters, it was a flawless win line. Typhlosion, Blaziken, Charizard...and then they come with a freaking monkey? i don't know why, but i hated chimchar since the very beginning.

But not only they're weird, most were ugly as hell...The only ones i save are Empoleon,Lucario, and some others i can't recall, but there wasn't a lot. Also the "Legendaries" or whatever.

I hated Emerald because of the bouncing sprites. It was ridiculous. I mean, if you're going to add animations to the pokémon, do like you did on CRYSTAL and for god's sake, work a little harder for your money like you used to do.

About Hoenn...well, i think it was ok. It wasn't the best ever (i think that was the second generation) but it wasn't the worst at all, it introduced some really cool pokémon.

My favorite pokémon game was without a doubt Crystal. The animations were great, the sprites were good, the story was fun, and i really enjoyed it. I guess that's all i have to say about it.

PiPVoda
March 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM
The water routes were what made Hoenn, Hoenn! Some people may not have liked them but I loved 'em. I'm glad it wasn't another reboot either. Two reboots in a row would have been horrible and we would have had people complaining that 'there wasn't enough new material in it' blah blah blah instead of complaining about how it doesn't have day/night feature, telephone, connected with previous gens like GSC did with RBY, etc.

I think people overexaggerate too much.

big NATE alpha
March 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM
Okay, so comparatively speaking, I think it's the worst (I hate water routes with a passion). However, that's not to say Gen III is bad. I'll admit, Emerald was better, but R/S weren't bad. I remember when I used to play Sapphire for hours on end. And then, I got my friend to let me use his Game Shark so I could beat my cousin in battle (my Blaziken pwned his Sceptile :rambo:!). It was fun, but the others were better.And for the record, I like Gen IV. It comes in second (Johto's better) for me.

Niprop
March 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM

You forgot double battles, diving, natures, EVs, and secret bases, and abilities & natures contributed to battling far more then anything generation II could ever give.

Honestly, the only things about Hoenn that were really bad were all the water routes* and the post-Elite 4 game failing utterly in R/S. The fact you couldn't transfer pokes from older games couldn't be helped, though it would have been nice I suppose...

*I personally think the water routes were interesting, even if that meant I needed to buy a lot of repels.

Moltres111
March 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM
*I personally think the water routes were interesting, even if that meant I needed to buy a lot of repels.

omg, I finally found someone else that doesen't want these water routes and Hoenn to burn in hell.

But yeah.. R/S weren't all that good, but they were still revolutionary. Saying G/S/C was revolutionary.. ehh.. seriously? I don't see anything revolutionary about them except for Pokerus and the phone function. >_> But that may just be me.

One thing is certain, R/S/E introduced a lot more revolutionary things than G/S/C did. At least in my opinion.

big NATE alpha
March 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
But yeah.. R/S weren't all that good, but they were still revolutionary. Saying G/S/C was revolutionary.. ehh.. seriously? I don't see anything revolutionary about them except for Pokerus and the phone function. >_> But that may just be me.

One thing is certain, R/S/E introduced a lot more revolutionary things than G/S/C did. At least in my opinion.

Uhh... how about Shiny Pokemon, breeding, gender in general (other than the Nidoran lines), and a pocketed bag system? So, they didn't change the way we battle (unless you count the new ability for Pokemon to learn egg moves), but they were just as revolutionary as R/S/E.

On a side note, one thing I couldn't stand about FR/LG was the daycare. Until you got your National Dex, you couldn't breed?! What's up with that?

jdbean5
March 21st, 2010, 04:55 PM
I actually liked the R/S/E games. i thought they were pretty good when i first started playing them

Wings Don't Cry
March 22nd, 2010, 02:15 AM
I didn't see the big deal about the day and night system in G/S/C. The internal clock was just wasting the internal battery away and it was inconvenient for people who could only play at specific times. Also R/S/E did kinda have the day and night system, you couldn't actually tell if it was day or night but you still set a time on your clock and depending on the time different Pokemon might show up and you could only evolve certain Pokemon at that time.

So really R/S/E had the same concept only they couldn't be bothered making it night time. In the end R/S/E did bring a lot more than G/S/C. Well a lot more useful things.

Yusshin
March 22nd, 2010, 04:47 AM
I beg to differ; the only thing R/S/E brought were natures, abilities, contests, a better bag, double battles, the HM Dive and the running shoes, as well as a bunch of junky Pokemon and a region map consisting of too much water.

Meanwhile, G/S/C brought:

- Apricorns & thus the concept of berries
- Day, night, and overall time system
- Pokemon Friendliness & Evolutions
- Held Items*
- Pokemon Eggs, and thus, breeding
- Pokemon Egg Moves
- Shiny Pokemon concept (originally making Pokemon stronger, shinies gave way to the EV concept)
- First female character, Kris
- Animated Pokemon sprites
- The first PokeApp - the PokeGear
- The ability to decorate your room (unique to G/S/C)
- The ability to store money like a bank with mom (unique to G/S/C and HGSS)
- Rebattles with trainers and thus the concept of the VS Seeker
- The Special Defense Stat
- Male and female Pokemon
- The ability to explore two regions (unique to G/S/C & HGSS)
- The Pokemon Types Steel & Dark
- The battle tower, and thus the battle frontier concept
- The weather system
- The roaming Pokemon concept (G/S/C, HGSS, and D/P/PL)
- The virus PokeRus (its stat-affecting ability gave way to the concept of EVs)
- The HMs Whirlpool, Waterfall, and Rock Smash

and more.

* The Light Ball from Pokemon Yellow on Pikachu and the Twisted Spoon from R/B/Y on Kadabra doesn't count; you couldn't physically see them without trading to G/S/C

This means that EVs, berries, shiny Pokemon, trainer rebattles, etc. are ideas from G/S/C or not fully expanded / explored upon in G/S/C and therefore "touched up" in Hoenn, but originating from the second generation.

Not to mention, G/S/C introduced the only rival worthy of being deemed a rival, next to Gary, who, being the original, is incomparible to begin with. The G/S/C rival is more of a contrast feel with a dark past.

Compared to G/S/C & HGSS, Hoenn added barely anything to the game. It did add some key things, like natures and abilities, but for both in-game, trading, breeding, and competitive battles, G/S/C added a lot more.

Let's see an example...

MOST competitive battlers use Choice Band / Life Orb. Where would you be if Generation II hadn't invented Held Items?

MOST competitive battlers strive for great IVs and certain Egg Moves; where would you be without Pokemon Eggs, Egg Moves, and female and male Pokemon introduced in Generation II (apart the Nidoran series)?

MOST competitive battlers use shinies and PokeRus to EV-train their Pokemon; where would you be if G/S/C hadn't invented shinies and PokeRus, and the birth place of the EV idea?

Exactly.

Also, had breeding not been invented, abilities and natures would have become more tedious to have and acquire, since you wouldn't be able to pass it down by the mum. Your Vaporeon / Umbreon with Wish? Think again.

big NATE alpha
March 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
I beg to differ; the only thing R/S/E brought were natures, abilities, contests, a better bag, double battles, the HM Dive and the running shoes, as well as a bunch of junky Pokemon and a region map consisting of too much water.

I beg to differ on that, Gen II introduced the pocketed bag system.
Which is even worse for Hoenn.

RivalGator
March 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
I am actually completely opposite of you. Johto, Gold, was my first Pokemon game, and it is definitely original to me. I was spoiled with what I consider the best Pokemon game. I loved the Pokemon, I loved the locations, I loved the plot, and I loved the Elite Four. Even the fact that they had Kanto after Johto was amazing. I played Yellow a while after Gold, and I enjoyed it, but nowhere nearly as much as Johto. But when I got my hands on Hoenn... Ugh. I utterly hated it.

I thought Hoenn was the worst region. I disliked the starters (except for Torchic, but I HATED Mudkip. Ugly sunuva*****) and I disliked the teams. They were lame. I disliked the legendaries, and I disliked almost all of the Pokemon that were introduced. A couple of them were okay, but the rest of them made me think of Neopets.

Sinnoh was okay. I liked it a lot better than Hoenn, but a lot less than Johto.

IMO the best in order would be Johto, Kanto, Sinnoh, and waaay last, Hoenn. I am not dissing Hoenn, but I disliked it very much.

Rocket Grunt J, Ohh Yeah!
March 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I don't follow what your saying. I grew up with this game, this was the game that I played first, besides playing a little bit of Gold.

Niprop
March 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Oh well, many Pokémon were just carbon copies of each other, with some being clearly outclassed (*cough* *cough* Mr. Mime) before the advent of abilities, yet items were also just as important (Marrowak especially) too. EVs and IVs respectably proved to be huge time-sinks (though IVs are arguably the more annoying), and weather wasn't quite as relevant in either third or second generation due to the lack of the weather stones. Of course, we all know that the biggest thing that any generation has ever done to battling was the Special/Physical split of DPP.

- The ability to decorate your room (unique to G/S/C)Funny, I recall being able to decorate rooms in R/S.

MOST competitive battlers use shinies and PokeRus to EV-train their Pokemon; where would you be if G/S/C hadn't invented shinies and PokeRus, and the birth place of the EV idea?
Eh? I thought the G/S/C metagame died off a long time ago, and most competitive battlers no a days consider shinies too much of a hassle to get when they no longer contribute to a poke's stats.

MOST competitive battlers use Choice Band / Life Orb. Where would you be if Generation II hadn't invented Held Items? Generation IV introduced the life orb, and it also made entry hazards more common, thus cutting down Focus Sash use.

Either way, each has their pro or cons, but the fact G/S/C had two regions (even if one of them was dumbed down, and the other one bland) to explore gave it MUCH more replayability compared to the pitiful R/S Battle Tower.

Now that you think of it, generation IV changed battling a lot more then I first thought. It further fleshed out breeding by allowing IVs to be passed down, added game changing items such as the shed shell and damp rock, split attacks to be physical/special, making some previously worthless pokes such as Kingler usable, also fleshed out abilities by adding secondary abilities, vastly expanded egg moves, altered Pursuit, made entry hazards more viable, ect.

Ninja Caterpie
March 23rd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Honestly, I don't see how arguing about GSC's good points makes RSE a bad game.

GSC had more stuff, but it's "goodness" is completely subjective. Leave it at that, can't we?

Matt140
March 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Personally, Ruby and Sapphire were much better than D/P/Pt/G/S/C/R/B/Y to me, the region was great and the Pokémon weren't that bad either.

ShadowSalamence
March 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ruby and Sapphire are decent games, in my opinion, and as you said, they lack of new features.
However, I don't think they are bad. They gave me hours of fun, when I used to play them.

Muffin™
March 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Johto>Kanto>Hoenn (Emerald)>Hoenn (Ruby & Sapphire)>Sinnoh crap.

^
My opinion :)

Butterfree-Charizard
March 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Well the game play wasn't very good, but in my opinion as some one who has been with pokemon since gen. 1 the Hoenn was the best region.

Coin
March 24th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Each game is amazing in my opinion.
We shouldn't be arguing about which one is the worst.

Each one has certain features that differ from the others.
Why can't we just accept that they all are well made, even though some may be more memorable than others... o-o''