PDA

View Full Version : What was my Password again...?

Dakota
February 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Well, I couldn't find a thread like this, so I posted it up.

Before I start, just one small note. Please, please make sure you re-read your post before clicking submit. I'm asking so that you make sure that you don't by accident post your password up. Seems dumb when you read it, but I assure you, people do it sometimes, and they are totally unaware.

Anyways my questions to you is this:

1)Do you have different passwords for different things? (ig, one password for Facebook, another for AIM, etc, and another for PC). If you do, answer 2. If you don't go strait to number 3.

2)How different are they? AGAIN, do not right them down

3)How complicated do you make your passwords? Do you do the Capital- lowercase system if it's a case sensitive password? (ig ExAMpLePaSsWoRd). Or do you have a separate method?

4)Is your password fairly long?

As for me:

1)I have two different passwords. As for which password goes to whatever I'm using differs for no particular reason

2) Extremely different. One is extremely long while the other is really short

3)I don't both with any sort of method. I make one really long, the other really short. Simple

4)One of them is more then 10 characters, whilst the other is less then 10

Virtual Chatot
February 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I have seven passwords, and all of them are a random set up numbers except for one. Depending on the level of security I want, I decide to use whatever password I have memorized. :D

For instance, one that I don't use anymore was...
Library card number+last four cellphone digits+birthdate without year

I use a more complex system now :D
Library card number+cell phone number+birthdate with year+Mom's library card number+Mom's cell phone number

:D
Yet to be hacked thus far on any account.

Timbjerr
February 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I have two different passwords at the moment for all the accounts I try to keep secure. there is a third password I use often, but mainly just for registering at a site that I don't very much plan on staying at for very long or won't visit very often.

My more secure passwords use alternating cap and lowercase letters with numbers interspersed L1i2K3e4T5h6I7s, or I put the numbers at the end LiKeThIs123 to make it shorter. What is the spelled-out word and the magic number? I'm not telling. :P

Oh, and that third password for sites that I don't care for and put less security into, I just use my middle name as a password. XD

Raichu1988
February 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have quite a few different passwords. Usually they consist of numbers that I'll remember (like birthdays of friends or family), obviously letters, (some capitalized and some not) and something I like so I remember what it is. It can be a band, a show, a character, a person.. whatever, just so long as I remember it. I am pretty good at remembering them, so long as it's somehow related to my password before hand. Like, if I used a password with my sisters birthday and a Pokemon, I might make my new password someone elses birthday and a different pokemon. (Though I don't have any pokemon passwords lol)

The length varies on what I used as the word or base of the password. Usually I have at least 4 - 6 numbers, too.

Ayselipera
February 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM
1)Do you have different passwords for different things? (ig, one password for Facebook, another for AIM, etc, and another for PC). If you do, answer 2. If you don't go strait to number 3.
For about two years now I've converted all my accounts to the same password. Which is a good and bad idea depending on how you think about it.

3)How complicated do you make your passwords? Do you do the Capital- lowercase system if it's a case sensitive password? (ig ExAMpLePaSsWoRd). Or do you have a separate method?
I keep it simple. It's such a hassel to type it in when it's all cap-lowercase style. .. I mean my password for aim a long time ago used to be crap. That's how unconcerned I am.

Medium length.

TrinityLimit
February 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM
well, yes, i do.

they usually are composed of different things in my mind.

i try not to make my passwords too long and complicated, because i tend to forget them :/

i'd say its average length.

Mattysaurus
February 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Pretty much all my passwords are my student ID.

Meh. Its a long number so low chances anyone guess it. :|

Snooki
February 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, some are the same. But most are different, I like it that way, safe.

Well, different words, numbers ect.

Not very complicated, I never captilize passwords, ever.

No. Well, some are.

Medli
February 17th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I have a couple variations on the same password, but they're basically based off the same idea, I guess. It's probably a stupid idea, but I'm too lazy to keep track of a hundred passwords, and I'm too impatient to go through a series of "You've entered the wrong password! Try again!" messages.

Again, not very. I change a word or so, but it's the same formula.

My aren't that complicated, but they're long. Most of them are a string of words separated by punctuation, and the words all have some sort of a special meaning to me.

Yeah, I'd say it's pretty long thanks to how I create my passwords.

Idiot!
February 18th, 2010, 06:02 AM
1) I don't have a lot of passwords to memorise since I don't have a lot of accounts. So it's easy for me to create different ones every time

2) Some are English words, others in some other language I am familiar with, and there's some random ones created from more than one language.

3) I use upside down letters too.

4) My longest password has at least 30 charas. Then again, most of my passwords have at least 30 charas

Forever
February 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM
The spelling in this thread hurts my eyes.

I have basically one password that I use now, since I gave away another by accident in a conversation although noone noticed, but better to be safe than sorry. For official things I use something related to my pets, but online I use a password I created based on an obsession in 2006, which I think is fairly impossible to guess at this point. Though for things not of importance, then I'll use my other password. Most of my passwords are about 5, 6, 7 or so characters long. Long passwords would get tiring, though sometimes I use passwords relative to the usernames which are often longer, it just depends.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
February 18th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Several of my passwords are the same, while others are more complicated variations on the same theme. Makes things easy to remember.

They're all variations on the same theme.

I really don't make them too complicated, at least for forums... just a mix of letters and numbers. My university, PayPal, and online banking passwords are more complex, with numbers, lower/uppercase, and punctuation thrown in as well.

Mostly 6-9 digits, except for my uni password which is quite long.

Went
February 18th, 2010, 08:11 AM
1)Do you have different passwords for different things?
I have a plain stupid password I use for all the places I don't really care about, and specific passwords for each worthy account (my university, hotmail, PC, etc).

...really different.

I open notepad, start smashing keys with my eyes closed until I'm satisfied with the result, then I write them down on a piece of paper and then I close the notepad without saving.

Shortest is 12 letters long. Longest is 25+

Cassino
February 18th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Not unless I am required to make it 'strong' or change it periodically.

I make no effort in this regard. I'm sure a hacker won't bother to guess it but will have a proper tool and thus will crack any given password so there's no point (and when they get into my account, what are they gonna do, post hentai and get me banned? oh well that's life who cares). It's just more hassle for me to type (and remember — no way I'd manage not to lose even a hundred pieces of paper with it on).

No.

WonderGirl
February 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
1)Do you have different passwords for different things? (ig, one password for Facebook, another for AIM, etc, and another for PC). If you do, answer 2. If you don't go strait to number 3. Nope, I have one the same for everything.

3)How complicated do you make your passwords? Do you do the Capital- lowercase system if it's a case sensitive password? (ig ExAMpLePaSsWoRd). Or do you have a separate method? I use capital letters in each new word and I have numbers. So yeah it's a bit complicated. But I type very fast so that's not a problem for me.

4)Is your password fairly long? Yeah, 12 characters.

Moltres111
February 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, I use three different passwords (mainly). Two of them are my most commonly used ones.. the third one I only use for a few things.

Well, the first one is a "word" with a few letters and a number in it. The second one is a really complicated one, like this: "J42SJ37LA9Q" (that's not it though, people).. my third one is complicated like that as well. And I know both of them by heart. xD
No, I mainly use a mix of capital letters and numbers.
Meh, I feel it is long enough.

Eurydice
February 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM
1)i have 2 passwords that i switch between
2) um quite different, one is short and the other is long and complicated and i normally even mess up typing it :/

3) um...capitals, numbers and sometimes my own made up words i even switch between languages

4)um the ones i use differ between 7-25. i think im going to change to one thats 50ish letters long.

.little monster
February 18th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Do you have different passwords for different things? (ig, one password for Facebook, another for AIM, etc, and another for PC). If you do, answer 2. If you don't go strait to number 3.
No.

Is your password fairly long?
Yes. Here is a shorter example of my password.

sjfzky73yhaSFJ13ng5jkafj#!jfasd

:3

Dukey
February 18th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Mm, not really, they varie if some qebsites require a letter number combination, but they're fairly the same.

Stated above.

It's pretty simple.

Bare minimum most of the time.

RCMF13
February 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I use the same password for everything, apart from email account because it needs more characters.

I use simple passwords.

My password is short, but not too short.

Synaesthesia
February 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I actually don't. I use my password for pretty much anything, and if for some reason I choose to use a different password, I will send myself the password to remember.

My password is a bit too simple XD; but I have a general idea of what I do when certain places require you use at least one capital letter and one number.

No, it's too short. Honestly, right now my password sounds really bad in this context, but it's really good. :3

donavannj
February 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM

I have a pool of passwords I use and mash up into each other, I think it's up to 8 passwords right now.

They're somewhat different... though they only ever have meaning to me.

I make them fairly simple by my standards, but I'm working on changing that.

Shortest one I've ever used was 5 characters long. Needless to say, I don't use that one anymore. My shortest is 8 characters and my longest is 19 characters at the moment.

msdmario
February 18th, 2010, 08:28 PM

Yes, I use a different password for just about everything different website.

Extremely different because they are randomly generated using a program called KeePass. Not only does it randomly generate passwords but it can save passwords and well as the ability to lock the database with another password for people who share the same computer.

I usually set the generator to include capital, lower, numbers, and maybe some special characters.

Around 12-16 characters long.

Caelus
February 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
They tend to be the same or at least similar.

Not that different.

I replaced some of my letters with numbers, but that's as complicated as they have gotten (minus sites where I don't plan on staying, where I just use a really long password based on the the way they're placed on the keyboard).

About medium length here, but elsewhere it's a bit longer.

AtomicoExploda
February 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Yes, they are all different.

Completely different.

Well, I used to use 6-9 character passwords, but recently, I've been using a program which automatically keys in my passwords, so I don't really know them either. There's no pattern I follow, there used to be, but not anymore, I just use a big amount of uppercase letters, lowercase letters and symbols.

It's said above.

Axєl
February 18th, 2010, 09:35 PM
In a way. Most of my passwords are the same word, but vary in the way of number combos.

2)How different are they?
Like I said, most are the same word, but the numbers at the end/start vary.

Mine are normally always lowercase, unless the site wants me to have a capital in there somewhere.

It's generally short actually, but the numbers keep it tricky. I've had the password for 12 years, and none of my accounts anywhere have ever been hacked. =w= Although I know people have tried, due to me seeing the "You have surpassed your amount of login attempts" message. Then I go "hahah.. someone tried to hack me. ~_~"