PDA

View Full Version : You're HOW old?

CT_400
February 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Has anyone ever told you that you're older or younger than you actually are?

Does it annoy you?

Flatter you?

Have any stories?

I'm 21 years old and I go to college. When people randomly come up to me, they tell me I look like a 18 year old freshman D:

It does get on my nerves when they tell me this, but I find it funny when they get suprised when I tell them my real age :D

TrinityLimit
February 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
i think this should be in the other polls section :3.
i look younger then my age due to my height :/. i quite short.

Usagi-Chan~
February 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Online I'm told I act older by some people, in real life it never happens to me.

Jubilation
February 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm often mistaken for being older, which I love. I'm only 15, yet people assume I'm at least 17 or 18.

<3

Timbjerr
February 17th, 2010, 08:26 PM
People think I look older than I really am...and once you're past the age of 18 like I am, that's a bad thing. XD

Sora
February 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Last year I was told that I looked 15. Then later on last year, while I was hanging out with a friend and some of his friends, one of his friends asked me how old I was, and when I said '17' he said 'are you really'?

That and I was told by my own Mom that my sister looked older than me once. :(

Medli
February 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I'm sick of being told that I'm younger than I really am. It's mostly because of my height. At the grand height of 5'2, I'm not exactly the right height for a high school student. And I refuse to wear heels.

It bugged me a lot when I was little, and it still drives me nuts today. When I was in 8th grade, during the 5th grade orientation at the middle school, teachers mistook me for a 5th grader. That nearly made me cry with frustration. The worst part was that the freaking 5th graders were as tall as me. What the fudge.

The annoying thing is that people in real life tell me about how I act mature for my age. Or maybe they just think I act mature for "my age," because they really believe that I'm 10 years old or something. I don't know. It's probably not that serious in reality, but it's somewhat of a big blow to your pride (when you're a kid, that is) when you get mistaken for an elementary school kid after you've already gone through middle school.

Snooki
February 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm short, so everyone thinks I'm younger than my classmates and such, it saddens me--but i'd rather be short than super tall! :'D

Zeta Patchouli
February 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'm always mistaken to be 18-19, when I'm only 16. It's hilarious to see their reaction, when they find out that I was never held back.

(7 days! T.T)

Ignore that.

Lazenca
February 17th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I look and sound like my age, I'm 19. :D

Randall Raichu
February 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM
People always think I'm younger.
I'm 20 but people always think I'm 17 or 18.

emoBill™
February 17th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Once someone came up to me and said, "Oh, she looks so sweet! Hon, are you going into highschool soon? It's easier than they say it is, you know..."

I stared at her and said, "Ma'am, I'm a senior."

Lmfao.

Bay Alexison
February 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I'm sick of being told that I'm younger than I really am. It's mostly because of my height. At the grand height of 5'2, I'm not exactly the right height for a high school student. And I refuse to wear heels.

It bugged me a lot when I was little, and it still drives me nuts today. When I was in 8th grade, during the 5th grade orientation at the middle school, teachers mistook me for a 5th grader. That nearly made me cry with frustration. The worst part was that the freaking 5th graders were as tall as me. What the fudge.

The annoying thing is that people in real life tell me about how I act mature for my age. Or maybe they just think I act mature for "my age," because they really believe that I'm 10 years old or something. I don't know. It's probably not that serious in reality, but it's somewhat of a big blow to your pride (when you're a kid, that is) when you get mistaken for an elementary school kid after you've already gone through middle school.
Story of my life. -_- Difference is I'm 21 and in my last year of university and I still have people think I'm in elementary school because of my height. @_@ This won't be great when I go to interviews. >.>

There are upsides to looking younger though as I learned later in life. XD One is eventually you get compliments that you aged better. :P

twocows
February 17th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I think that I look my age. Though I guess I get afforded a bit more respect because I'm usually helping people with computers, so they usually aren't so condescending. Or something.

Dirtyjerry
February 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I'm a sophomore in highschool and since last year people have always thought I was a senior. I just matured early i guess :S

Raichu1988
February 17th, 2010, 11:08 PM
When I was younger, people assumed I was older than I was, I looked taller since I was really really thin. Actually, I was only 5'3". When I was in 5th grade, some people thought I was in 7th, since at the time I was growing taller and my legs looked longer than my body. >.<

But, now that I'm 21 and have grown into my body (lol) and don't have freakishly long looking legs, people think I'm younger than I am. Some people think I'm 19 or so, and I always get carded to drink. I understand that, but it's aggravating to always have someone look at me twice before agreeing with me that I'm 21. >:F And I never grew taller then about 5'5" so now I feel short since everyone is taller than me.

helix
February 18th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Online and offline, I tend to be mistaken for older than I am. Online, it's a bit flattering, since the mistaken age is about four years older than I am. Offline, I tend to be mistaken for as much as three years older, so.. not so much flattery there.. haha..
As for stories.. well. Every person I talk to in passing seems convinced that I'm a college student. When I tell them, "No, actually, I'm still in high school.", that's usually the cue for an awkward silence and an embarrassed, "...oh."

Galukxy
February 18th, 2010, 03:48 AM
yes i've been told i look young before but also i've been told i look older before DX
Does it annoy you?
when people tell me i look old yes it darn well does annoys the hell out of me
Flatter you?
when people think i am younger than i am yes it is quiet flattering
Have any stories?
well, when i was in yr7 because i was quiet tall for my age then i was like only 11 then (wow 5 years ago) and some older girl came up to me and she said are you in yr10? i was so annoid then
but now my mum always calls me baby face and then giggles :pink_blush: its embarrassing

Emotion.
February 18th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I look older than I am, could be the height. I could easily pass myself off as being 2 or 3 years older than I am.

aкισ
February 18th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I get asked if im older pretty often, but...
if im around friends, im reallll silly.. So, they dont think so . (:

.little monster
February 18th, 2010, 04:09 AM
People always think I am in like, eigth grade when I actually care to shave.

Does it annoy you?
No.

Flatter you?
No.

Have any stories?
Whenever a new bus driver comes instead of the normal ones, they always ask me why I get on at the High School and not the Middle School, then I tell them I am a Junior and they give me the "o:" look.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
February 18th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Well, it's kinda annoying when you can't buy twelve-rated DVDs even though you're legally old enough to...er...y'know.

Idiot!
February 18th, 2010, 06:11 AM
People often think I am still having my lower secondary education...

It annoys me when someone asks "Aren't you too young for college?"

I hated it when people say "Isn't it good to be/look young?"

Makes me wonder why people like to be young but want to die old.

Sotto Voce
February 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
A few months ago I went to my stepsister's game with my stepdad.
He's going to 50 in a month and I'm 18.
The people we came in to pay thought I was his WIFE. -_-;

And when I'm at work, if the discussion of school happens to arise, they assume I'm a senior in college--not high school. :p

Daeva Okami-Luca
February 18th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I've been asked if I was a lesbian because I'm taller than my mom and she looks very young -_- they thought I was 23

Well, it's kinda annoying when you can't buy twelve-rated DVDs even though you're legally old enough to...er...y'know.

You made me lose the game D:<

Okami Chi
February 18th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I'm 18 and I'm 6'2. People say I look 20 though.

-Okami

Cassino
February 18th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I look older. Not long ago went and bought some cigs for someone even though he was of legal age but I wasn't, yet I was more likely to get them because I look like I'm in my mid 20s.

people randomly come up to me
Well they're mighty odd...

Ayselipera
February 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Everytime I go out to eat with my sister she orders a martini. I on the other hand always order a water. Right when I say I'll have a water the waitress or waiter will give me the weirdest look and then say, "Oh your not 21?" "You look so mature for your age!"

Happens everytime.

Karasuma
February 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Does it annoy you?

Flatter you?

Have any stories?

I'm 21 years old and I go to college. When people randomly come up to me, they tell me I look like a 18 year old freshman D:

It does get on my nerves when they tell me this, but I find it funny when they get suprised when I tell them my real age :D

Likewise man, whenever I meet new people they can't imagine how old I actually am since I have a face of a 17/18 year old high schooler. I love it when I tell them my real age and they get shocked.

Having a young look isn't so bad sometimes but it does make the cops stop you more when driving. :P

Talli
February 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Curtis has been told he old a lot older that he is because he is big for his age

Eurydice
February 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
people normally think i am younger than i am. when i tell them im 18 the normal response it "wow i thought you where 15 or 16." it kinda annoys me.

Doogle3097
February 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Not so much anymore, but when I was about 12 I was always mistaken for a 14 year old (which I am now), but I haven't grown much since then, so... :(

SiReNzZ
February 18th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I look younger than my age . Im not small but people say I have kind of a baby face and big eyes :o

lucariojon
February 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM
i get told im older

well thats what i get for being 6 feet at 11 years old......people think I'm 18-20.....

it flatters me and sometimes i blush XD

then i tell em im only 11.....

then they look like they will have a heart attack.....

CT_400
February 18th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Wow, thanks for sharing your stories guys and gals :D

Seems like a lot of people look younger than their actual age....

Sotto Voce
February 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Well, to those who look younger:

you'll appreciate it when you get old. =)

reyzn
February 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I'm 21, but people think I'm younger than that. When I go to a liquor store with my friends, we all get ID'd because of me ^^; I know this for a fact because when I'm not with them they don't get ID'd hehe.

Doppelgänger
February 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
People usually think I am older than 17 because I am tall, I don't really mind though when people think this.

Drew
February 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Well.. I'm 22, but I'm short, and look about five or so years younger than I'am.

Sooo most people who guess my age, think I'm 17 or 18.

Someone guessed 15 once, too. xD;

mew²
February 18th, 2010, 04:12 PM
The only time I've been mistaken by age was when someone though I was 18.
And this is when I was 12 and I was the shortest kid in my classes...

J a s m i n e ©
February 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM
19; and I love being this old :)

Yuoaman
February 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
When I was young people thought I was in High School, because I was about 6 feet tall by age twelve. o.o

I've plateaued, though, and people can tell my age by just looking at me. :P

Jordan
February 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Tired of my fellow High School students asking me if I'm in Grade 9 or 10. I would think that 5'7 would be a relatively good height for an 11th grader, don't you think? :/

Otherwise, I don't look anything different than a typical teenager, so adults and young'uns don't often mistake me for being much older or younger than I actually am.

Fox♠
February 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I'm 19, 4 years older than my main G Harry

Flamboyant
February 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Blah, people always tell me that I look younger than I am and I'm only 17. (This means I look like a 15 years old or something -_-) It's probably the fact that I'm short and that my face hasn't mature that much. Geez, nobody'll believe me next year when I'll be major, I'll have to get my cards everywhere I go xD

Tyrantrum
February 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I'm 16. I could have a job and a license right now. But sadly, I don't. I'm pathetic.

Captain Hobo.
February 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
People think that I am older than I actully am because I am one of the taller kids in my grade. I don't really care about what people think though.

Synaesthesia
February 18th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I think I look my age. Maybe a bit older. And that's flattering. :D

donavannj
February 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
People claim, when I don't shave, that look at least 21, 22. This is also helped along because of my height, being just a hair's breadth above average height for an adult male in my area. And, when I was 15 and wearing a sweatshirt of the major university in the area, I was asked if I was a student there. Of course, I hadn't shaved, and I have always been a bit on the tall side for my age.

World King
February 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I guess to some of us, a lil' good shaving takes some years off.

Eh, people ususally think I'm about 15, 16 years old when they see me; specially on the week I decide to shave; and that really flatters me - I love looking young. =D

Stevo-kun
February 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I get people always saying I look alot younger than I actually am. And when I tell them my age they are really surprised. So yes, I constantly get it.

Dakota
February 19th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I am 14, and normally look fourteen. Unless I'm really tired, I look a bit older. : /

Does it annoy me? Nah.

Flatter? No

Stories? Ummm.....no.

BlackRay
February 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Quite tall for my age. Like when I was 9 they thought I was like 12. Wayy too off.
Ive grown into it now. Although I am tall still. I kinda like it if they say im older.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
February 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM
People tell me I look young for my age despite the fact I'm losing my hair. Must be my face :)

Dopefish7590
February 19th, 2010, 10:08 PM
People think I'm younger than I actually am... I guess it's my general appearance and unusual proportions that make me look kid-like. :o

Aro-kun
February 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I'm 18 and i'm a senior in highschool. People in my school for some reason assume that i'm a sophomore (even though i'm 6'3. But i guess height doesnt necessarily determine ones age.) some even think i'm a freshman O_O
I do get my facial hair cut every time it grows, and i have a young face. My mom also looks like my sister to most people. I guess it runs in the family :D
I love looking younger than i am. I hope i get to be in my 30s and still look as i do now XD

aRedMoon
February 20th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Some say I look ooooolder. And some say I look younger. So I figure I'm just about right.

{^~^}

ArcanineOod
February 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
OH MY GOSH.

Everyone thinks I'm younger than I am. On the internet, it's usually fine, but in real life everyone thinks I'm so much younger because I'm so short.

Does it annoy you?
A very great deal.

Flatter you?
No. Just bugs me.

Have any stories?
~ Last summer when I told these kids a couple of years younger than me my age, they called me a liar. =_='
~ A couple of years ago when I went to Pizza Hut with my mum, brother and best friend, I was given a children's menu but my friend (who's a couple of months younger than me, actually) was given an adult menu. She has brown skin and my family is caucasian, so it went without saying we weren't related. I would therefore think that it made sense to assume she was there with a friend, who I would therefore assume to be me. It would then go without saying we were probably about the same age, right?
In any case, I was most miffed. Not to mention I was a year or two too old for the children's menu anyway. =__=
~ I went to Florida many years ago and was given a children's menu at Disneyland. I was 10 at the time. The menu was for children age 8 and under. ¬_¬

xX

Eпvy
February 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Everybody thinks I'm 16/17 even though I'm really 21. lol

It doesn't bother me too much though.

lollypop1997
February 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Im 12.A woman that i know (she works in school).When i was in 4(I was 10),i looked like my age,but that woman was always asking "If I'm going to secondary school next year".I'ts really anoing.

Lilith
February 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Some days, my mother says that I look 12 because I am so tiny that my jacket swallows me. >:<

That is insulting. Too tiny is gross. Idk how to eat more than I do.

twocows
February 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I actually had a few fellow CS guys offer me some drinks the other day. I told them that was heading out, or I would have accepted. They asked why not just take it with me, and then I explained that I wasn't 21. That was pretty cool.

I really wouldn't care even if people thought I was younger unless they started being condescending (but I take issue with anyone that's being condescending). I was better looking when I was younger, anyway; I played hockey back then and didn't have a huge gut.

TheAppleFreak
February 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm 15 years old. I hear very constantly that I look like I'm 18. Once, I've heard I look like I'm 21 or so. I guess facial hair helps.

shu
February 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
people think im older probly bout 16 even though im only 14.

Thoughts
February 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I am in fact 12, 13, or 14 :O

In fact I might be 13 or 14

Or even 14 !

Ninetales433
February 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Everyone says I just look like my age.Some mistake me for being younger.

Elesha
February 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
A couple of years ago I went to the pub with a few of my college friends but when I went to the bar to order my drink the bar maid asked where my mummy and daddy were. :S I'm 20 years old and people still think I'm 10 or 11 due to my height.

There was also another occassion about 5 or 6 years ago. It was my birthday and to celebrate me and my family went to a chinese resturant for dinner. It was one of those all you could eat places so I went up to get something to eat. I was wearing a birthday badge with my age on it, this elderly women in front of me turns to me and says are you really *insert age here* (I can't remember how old I was) you look a lot younger.

Spikey-Eared Pichu
February 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm 15. People have told me I look seventeen, but that's only when I havn't shaved and my mustache and poor excuse for a beard grow out.

Annoyed: No, I quite enjoy it actually =)

Flattered: Yes, I like people to think I'm older than I really am. It helps when you have an opinion because the younger you are and people know that, the less likely they are to take what you say seriously.

Stories: Me and my family were walking down a street in New Orleans and a stripper walked up to me asking if I wanted a private show XD My mom was pissed and asked how old she thought I was, the stripper answered, "Sweetie, don't get huffy over your little boy-toy. He looks 18 to me." I laughed so hard after that. My dad was using a restroom in a bar nearby so he didn't know what happened.

Another time I was on a cruise for the summer and it had a program for kids. So I went to register for the Teens group and the lady manning the registrations looked at me and said, "I'm sorry, sir. Are you lost? Registration for Teens ages 15-17 are over there." I ask how old she thought I was and she said I looked 17.

Micro SD
February 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I'm seventeen. People always say I look 19/20sih, especially when I don't shave. But I'm used to it; when I was 12 people said I looked 14, when I was 14 it was 16, etc...

Personally, I think it's flattering. It's helped me sneak in a few movies anyways lol.

Lucy Lu
February 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Most people think that I am a lot younger for my age. Everyone is saying that I am about 16 or 18 years old. When I tell everyone my real age they are suprised. They are thinking I am so much younger. Well to me it is alright, it doesn't bother me that much. Since now I lost weight it really shows that I am a lot younger. Now if I was taller...I would look like my age then. XD And maybe wear some makeup, which I need to start wearing again.

dc_united
February 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
People say different things for me. I've been told that I look sixteen and that look twenty. When I look in the mirror, I see an 18 year old, but then again what do I know?

The best story I have is when this woman at some local skate shop was hitting on me, asking me how old I was. When I told her I was 13, she looked so depressed and said she thought I was 16. I wonder what would have happened if I'd lied...

Chloè
February 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
It depends on if I'm wearing my glasses or not, or what outfit I'm wearing.
Sometimes, people tell me I look like a sophmore, other times, they think I'm 2 years older than I actually am. *shrugs* guess its all about what the other person sees. I think I look my age.

Charliezard
February 21st, 2010, 03:42 AM
People get surprised when I say I'm 18, not like "OMG OMG OMG FOR REAL??!?!?!?!?!" Just like "Oh, I thought you were like 16" lol. It doesn't bother me at all.

bmah
February 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM
At 21, I probably can still pass off as 16-17 or even 15. At first, I used to get annoyed by this, but now I take this in stride and more or less a compliment - I think this is more apparent when you get older. Only downsides are age assumptions for stuff like gambling/scratch tickets, buying liqueur, bars, etc. Not that I do much of those, but in any case, actual proof will just mitigate that.

インフェルノの津波
February 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM
It annoys the hell out of me when people say "Oh look at the cute 2nd grader!" I'M 16, DUMBASS. Yeah, since I'm very short for my age, 4'01'', like 1.something meters, and I get mistaken for a grade school student.

But it had it's perks too. Like cute girls for example.

bmah
February 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM
ALSO, you can often get away with cheaper ticket prices for stuff like rides, movies, etc. as long as you're willing to pretend you're younger than you really are.

Swift!
February 21st, 2010, 09:50 PM
I'm 17 and I think I look it. When I was 16 a girl told me I looked 18, but that's probably because I have facial hair. I guess it does kind of make me look older, but that's only because people my age usually shave. I like having facial hair though. :]

poopnoodle
February 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM
i'm somehow one of those people who can pass off for way younger and way older than i really am. i've managed to fake being real young to get into places cheaper like the annual fair, and my old coworkers thought i was a college student for the longest time >_>

♣Gawain♣
February 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
Most people mistaken me for a 16 or 13 year old guy. I've actually turned 19 this day(yah, happy birthday to me).

Lieutenant Unstable
February 22nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
I always get one or the other. I'm 17, but I'm short (like 5'1) and I always wear jeans and t shirts, so people think I'm like 12. On the other hand, I wear alot of eye makeup and have lines under my eyes from lack of sleep, so people see that and think I'm older, which was a perk the time I bought champagne for my sister and didn't get carded(lol don't freak, my sis is 30 and I was getting it for her birthday present. I went in with my mom to pick it out and so she could buy it, but when I got to the checkout the lady just checked ME out and didn't even think twice!)

The only time it ever bothered me was when I went to get a haircut and the lady was making smalltalk with me and started out with, "So do you have any kids?" I WAS FIFTEEN AT THE TIME!!! >_>

Pokestick, good times.
February 22nd, 2010, 03:06 AM
Well, I've always been grown for my age, mature for my age, and smart for my age. People that don't know me usually mistakes me for a 17-18 year old. And I like it alot :P

Tho it's annoying that most people in shops and so expect me to be more like one, like knowing my ID number (which I don't DX), or even have a drivers license... That waould be awesome, but I don't ^_^"

(also, girls like older guys. Good for me, not as good for other guys XP)

Tomato Cat
February 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
I'm 20, and I'm often told that I look 16 or so. I don't grow facial hair well and it always looks patchy and red even though I have brown hair, so I never have facial hair, which doesn't help how young I look. It makes it a lot harder to get into bars or clubs, and I know I'm going to get ID'd a lot more once I'm getting in legitimately.

Ineffable~
February 23rd, 2010, 06:13 AM
When I was registering for 8th grade (I was thirteen), I was mistaken for a sixth grader (which would be eleven). Also, some of the big kids who are a grade younger than me think they're a grade older than me. And I was mistaken for a middle schooler last year (when I was fourteen in my first year of high school).
So I guess I always look two years younger than I actually am. xD

Lt_Nite
February 23rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
For the first time really today I was told I looked older. At the dentist I had to go get a tooth pulled and he made me sign a consent form, and because of the full beard I have, (I'm 16,) he though I was over 18 and almost didn't have my parents co-sign it. It was pretty cool lol.

Cyndahog
February 24th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I'm 14.

I lied when I was at other forums and said I was 15, when I really was two years younger. Yeah, I eventually admitted.

When I was 9, I often pretended to be a 16 year old on the Sunday League chat.

Aye..

Guillermo
February 24th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I rarely get told I look younger than I actually am. I often get called older, but never younger. Most people can guess my age when they see me.