PDA

View Full Version : Octopuses - our friends in the ocean

Jolene
February 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Do you like octopuses? I think that octopuses are very nice. They have many very long arms so they would probably give the most wonderful hugs, and also they would probably be quite good at juggling.

Here are some cool pictures of octopuses:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc299/Meeps123456/352432_1246003810_submedium.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc299/Meeps123456/9c218005506801934d531af76f67d3b12bc.jpg

Do have any cool octopus stories which you would like to share, or perhaps some more pictures? Have you ever met an octopus in real-life? I have not. Are they friendly?

The Cynic
February 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
As wondeful as their hugs would be, they would be cold and slimy and crushing too. Octopuses are nice, I like their dedication to their offspring, their problem-solving skills and logical thinking (no banking crisis if Octopuses were in charge!) and of course the fact that the collect shiny objects on the seabed and make little "gardens" out of them.

I'd like to be
under the sea
in an octopus's garden
in the shade...

Ahh, the halcyon days...

Incidently, when I was in Turkey my girlfirend was in the sea. Suddenly someone shouts that there was an octopus in the bay. All the locals ran in, hoping to kill it and sell it to a local restraunt. My girlfriend, who isn't a particlarly confident swimmer swam out of the water faster than any Olympic swimmer ever could in the opposite direction to the locals! Good times, good times.

General Bravo
February 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Octopuses are smart, sure, but everyone knows Cuttlefish are AWESOME.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
February 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
A wtf topic, but, I guess it's legit. :/
maybe.

But anyways, I do like Octopuses. They are my favorite sea creature. X3
Funny, thinking about that, I should be more into Octillery.

pokejungle
February 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Octopuses are one of my favorite animals :3

LUV DEM. I want one in an aquarium

luf100
February 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Octopuses scare me. BUT they aren't as scary as giant squid.

Yoshimi
February 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Forget octopuses.

Their cousin, the squid, have much better eyes than us, and I hate them just for that.
The only reason they have a chance to be cool is because the mighty Cthulhu grants it.

Reina
February 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Octopi (the plural of octopus? ...maybe?) are very awesome! So is Octillery~
I bet they could be a one man band, or circus...

Ahem, in seriousness, this is a strange topic. Awesome, but strange.

Yuoaman
February 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Octopi (the plural of octopus? ...maybe?) are very awesome! So is Octillery~
I bet they could be a one man band, or circus...

Ahem, in seriousness, this is a strange topic. Awesome, but strange.

"Octopi" is actually incorrect. :P

Octopuses are cool, though... the way they can fit through tiny spaces is pretty gosh darn awesome. :D

Esper
February 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
In some cultures octopuses are thought to have 8 legs rather than 8 arms. The 'pus' part of their name even means 'foot'.

I've seen some in aquariums, but none in the wild, thankfully. They're very strange looking creatures.

Ayselipera
February 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I have a thing for Octopi as well as their cousins, squid and cuddle fish. I find them really interesting and cute in their on little way. I also hear that they are very intelligent.

Cassino
February 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I doubt they're friendly per se but I also doubt they have any inclination to harm humans... I've always seen them as rather peaceful creatures, a lesser predator that feeds on small, hard fish (at a guess, else why would they have such a beak). Its lack of a skeletal structure doesn't really make it apt for much, I have to wonder how something evolved like that...

"Octopi" is actually incorrect. :P
Octopi used as the plural form of octopus is hypercorrect because -us → -i is the rule for forming plurals of originally-masculine nouns of the Latin second declension, whereas octopus actually derives from Ancient Greek, and to be consistent with its etymology has the plural form octopodes.
ಠ_ಠ

Zet
February 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Octopi used as the plural form of octopus is hypercorrect because -us → -i is the rule for forming plurals of originally-masculine nouns of the Latin second declension, whereas octopus actually derives from Ancient Greek, and to be consistent with its etymology has the plural form octopodes.
ಠ_ಠ

plurals are fun, but isn't the only acceptable plural for them "octopuses"?

I think octopuses are pretty deadly since they destroy ships and what not.

.little monster
February 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
plurals are fun, but isn't the only correct English term for them octopuses?

Yes they are correct, but most people (aka grammar nazis and teachers) frown upon that. There are very few, if any grammatical rules that are one hundred percent concrete. Octopi is the correct plural form of Octopus, just as Cacti is the correct plural form of Cactus.

Other weird plurals:

Radius -> Radii
Phenomenon -> Phenomena
Foot -> Feet
Fish -> Fish

:3

Octopi suck, quite literally. But in all honesty, I do not enjoy them. D:

NarutoActor
February 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Fried squid tasted much better then fried octopus. So I would have to say no, unless they can change and learn to be more tasty when they die. :)

General Bravo
February 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Nooo, that is the kraken.
*cough*GIANT SQUID*cough cough*

SiReNzZ
February 19th, 2010, 03:45 AM
They are a cool animal :)
Those pics are really good :o
Its cool how they have many arms xD

Cassino
February 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Officially accepted perhaps, but generally acceptable no.

Jolene
February 19th, 2010, 09:25 AM
From Wikipedia:
Currently, octopuses is the most common form in the US as well as the UK; octopodes is rare, and octopi is often objectionable.

The Oxford English Dictionary (2008 Draft Revision) lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order); it labels octopodes "rare", and notes that octopi derives from the "apprehension" that octōpūs is a second declension Latin noun, though it is not.

Chambers 21st Century Dictionary and the Compact Oxford Dictionary list only octopuses, although the latter notes that octopodes is "still occasionally used"; the British National Corpus has 29 instances of octopuses, 11 of octopi and 4 of octopodes.

Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary lists octopuses and octopi, in that order; Webster's New World College Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order).

Folwer's Modern English Usage states that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses," and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic.

In short: it's octopuses

But let us not get bogged down with semantics, friends.

Åzurε
February 19th, 2010, 10:10 AM
25.13272 = Octopi. Tell me when you understand.

I like octopuses, what with them changing colors, and the tentacles and stuff.
Even octopuses are not without desires, and apparently one of them is to become famous like squids and Cthulu.

emoBill™
February 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Octopodes (take THAT) are pretty dang neat, except for the fact that they can crush you and kill you, leaving you to die on the ocean floor, with one "hug".

twocows
February 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Starfish are better. Only weird people don't like them.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9175/10949m.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Clannad_characters#Fuko_Ibuki)
Octopuses are weird and creep Fuko out. Like Okazaki. He's weird.

ArcanineOod
February 20th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Much like hippopotami, [insert plural of octopus here] are not cute. They are not cuddly.
They will rip you apart.

Or so I've heard.
xX

Captain Hobo.
February 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I don't really think about it a lot but I guess yeah I like them. As long as they don't hurt me:)

Dukey
February 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Umm, yeah.
Ages back when I was a lot younger, I was fishing with my dad, and there was an octopus crawling around the rocks.
It grabbed onto my hook, and sat there for about 15 minutes with it in it's tentacles, it wasn't looking like it was gonna let go, but then all of a sudden, it shot back the hook, which got caught in my shirt about 5cm from my face.
So no I don't like octopus' much xD

Gazza
February 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Despite having the weirdest and scariest dream about one i still think they're cool. XD

I LMAO when I read that part about the hugs. :D

SIN1488
February 21st, 2010, 02:00 AM
I think the octopus is smart, maybe more so than we realize. Since it has so many arms too, it could most likely learn to use tools in a very useful way. It will probably end up being the next dominant organism on Earth when humans die off, unless us humans mess up the ocean too eventually.

Kon~
February 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Octopuses are awesome! They have really advanced brains etc. and are just all around good-looking.

At my local aquarium (to my knowledge, the world's only submarium) there is an octopus. Once, me and my mother spent about fifteen minutes trying to see it, only to realise it was squelched in at the top corner, against the glass (as some of the coral was) and we just hadn't noticed, because it looked like the coral!

Another time, I just sat and watched it, and it reached out to me and touched the glass. Ahh! Not like the time a leopard ray came up the side of the glass from underneath and scared the life out of me... hahahaha.

Chibi-chan
February 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Camouflage octopi are awesome.
They don't give good hugs, I know, my grandfather used to breed them. We had one named Bruce that loved to open peanut butter jar tops.

Heart~Bunny
February 21st, 2010, 09:50 PM
I like them their neat. I think it would hurt to hug them though.

♣Gawain♣
February 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM
They're the most intelligent invertebrate, which their complex brain and stimuli. That's why I love 'em. Second, I love them because one of my favorite sea-foods is the North Atlantic Giant Octupus. Yum, yum, yum.

Kon~
February 23rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
I draw your attention to this: http://theoatmeal.com/story/octopus
"This is why an octopus is better than your mom."

Medli
February 23rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
25.13272 = Octopi. Tell me when you understand.

I understood that as soon as I saw the numbers. And I laughed. Does that make me a nerd?

Octupuses are pretty awesome. It's really cool how intelligent they are. I'm a little bit frightened by their appearance, though. I think it's a combination of the suction cups and how, er, squishy they look. I don't know if I'd necessarily want a hug from them.

But I applaud them for being smart. They are better looking than squids, at least.