PDA

View Full Version : are you happy with the way you look?

shu
February 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
are you happy with the way you look?

yes.after discovering power metal music and seeing the way they look changed my whole veiw on what looks good.

Virtual Chatot
February 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
After becoming a vegetarian last year I went from weighing 220 pounds, 6 feet 3 inches ( 99.7903 kg, 1.905 meters ) to being 140 pounds, 6 feet 4 inches ( 63.5029 kg, 1.9304 meters ).

I love the way I've managed to improve myself! (the Parcour hasn't hurt either)

Serene Grace
February 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yup, I like the way I look. I'm glad that I'm blessed with a slim figure and a high metabolism so I can keep it the way it is. As for facial looks, I know I look fine and I'm always confident about the way I look.

kieeeranz
February 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
nopes , i absolutely hate the way i look .
idk , i have since i was about 4 :\

Silhouette
February 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm fine with the way I look. :)

Talli
February 20th, 2010, 02:20 PM
yeah curtis likes the he looks he thinks he looks cute

Ninetales433
February 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I like the way I look like.I don't really care how I look like anyway :)

twocows
February 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM
After becoming a vegetarian last year I went from weighing 220 pounds, 6 feet 3 inches ( 99.7903 kg, 1.905 meters ) to being 140 pounds, 6 feet 4 inches ( 63.5029 kg, 1.9304 meters ).

You're implying that losing weight makes you a better person, whether you meant to or not. Losing weight does not "improve" you, it simply makes your image more acceptable to society.

Personally, I don't care about how I look. Vanity is the value I find most annoying in many people.

Dakota
February 20th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, though having no pimples would be an added bonus... and making my nose a bit smaller couldn't hurt. xD

Doogle3097
February 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM
To be honest, no. But I think there's more important things than how I look. I don't overly obsess over that.

magikarptrainer
February 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Over all I am pretty happy. It's been a long time since I have felt self conscious about my appearance.

That's pretty impressive results, but do you ever feel too thin now?

I am 6'3 and 165 and I feel like I could put on a bit more.

You're implying that losing weight makes you a better person, whether you meant to or not. Losing weight does not "improve" you, it simply makes your image more acceptable to society.

Personally, I don't care about how I look. Vanity is the value I find most annoying in many people.

There's tonnes of reasons to lose weight, acceptance from society is just one. And life will go a lot smoother if you're able to make peace with the way your community thinks.

twocows
February 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
There's tonnes of reasons to lose weight, acceptance from society is just one. And life will go a lot smoother if you're able to make peace with the way your community thinks.
The "community" isn't always right, and in those cases, no person should allow things to be smooth. Some of the greatest tragedies in the world may have been prevented if reasonable people had fought against the status quo.

What I take issue with is that losing weight is an improvement. If I had a clone that was more physically fit than me, I refuse to believe that just being in shape makes him better than me. That's nonsense; a person should not be defined by their appearance.

Cheesymitten
February 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I really can't decide whether I am fat or anorexic..
Therefore I must be pretty normal..
But noo I still don't like the way I look.
I wasn't aware one time that the way I looked was good D=

Synaesthesia
February 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I like the way I look. I'm slim and I have a fast metabolism, so I can enjoy the bad food and keep my low weight. My hair is nice, but I do wish my eyes were a more interesting color than brown. Blue or green would be great. Or purple.

The only problem right now is my face, I've got too many pimples, probably because of a nasty habit I've got. :(

Eurydice
February 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM
i wish i could loose a little weight, but other than that im happy with how i look ^_^

Houndoom19
February 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM
What I take issue with is that losing weight is an improvement. If I had a clone that was more physically fit than me, I refuse to believe that just being in shape makes him better than me. That's nonsense; a person should not be defined by their appearance.
That doesn't really work. If you did have a clone who was physically fitter than you, then he would be stronger, faster, have more stamina etc. I'm not saying that people should be judged on their appearance, far from it, but being in shape does make you a 'better'* person, purely from a biological standpoint anyway. I mean honestly, if you were given the option to instantly hit your physical peak for nothing, are you telling me you'd turn it down? I know I wouldn't, and it's nothing to do with society.

Anyway, no I'm not really happy with the way I look, but I have much more important things to worry about at my age than my self image. Like getting a job, for one.

*This, of course, really depends on how we define 'better'.

kieeeranz
February 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I like the way I look. I'm slim and I have a fast metabolism, so I can enjoy the bad food and keep my low weight. My hair is nice, but I do wish my eyes were a more interesting color than brown. Blue or green would be great. Or purple.

The only problem right now is my face, I've got too many pimples, probably because of a nasty habit I've got. :(

now i want purple eyes >:]

Captain Hobo.
February 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Yes I am happy with the way I look.

magikarptrainer
February 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The "community" isn't always right, and in those cases, no person should allow things to be smooth. Some of the greatest tragedies in the world may have been prevented if reasonable people had fought against the status quo.

Well... I hardly think looking down on an unhealthy lifestyle will become one of 'the greatest tragedies in the world'. But that's besides the point. Your life will be much better if you make peace with societal norms.

Tyrantrum
February 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM
The only things I hate about me is being so weak and these damn pimples.

twocows
February 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
That doesn't really work. If you did have a clone who was physically fitter than you, then he would be stronger, faster, have more stamina etc. I'm not saying that people should be judged on their appearance, far from it, but being in shape does make you a 'better'* person, purely from a biological standpoint anyway. I mean honestly, if you were given the option to instantly hit your physical peak for nothing, are you telling me you'd turn it down? I know I wouldn't, and it's nothing to do with society.

Anyway, no I'm not really happy with the way I look, but I have much more important things to worry about at my age than my self image. Like getting a job, for one.

*This, of course, really depends on how we define 'better'.
I define "betterment" as doing good works, volunteering, donating to charity, etc. The "other me" would not be any better in this sense. I wouldn't turn down physical improvement, either, since that's just in my self-interest, but it doesn't make me a better person.

Well... I hardly think looking down on an unhealthy lifestyle will become one of 'the greatest tragedies in the world'. But that's besides the point. Your life will be much better if you make peace with societal norms.
If you'd like examples of where "making peace with societal norms" has allowed tragedies to occur, I can provide you with many, but I will not do so here because it isn't on-topic.

Esper
February 20th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I'm pretty 'acceptable' looking as far as society's standards go, but no, I'm not happy with how I look. My outer appearance clashes with my inner image of myself.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
February 20th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah, why the heck not... I'm happy with how I look...

Yoshimi
February 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm proud of how I look at times, but often, I either don't care or pick at small flaws so they look even worse.

Objection!
February 20th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Okay, now look me deep in the eyes, and tell me, are you overweight? Just kidding. But you seem pretty dang (I don't think that word should be counted as a cuss, but oh well) deffensive about it.

Perhaps you have a friend that is constantly taunted about his weight? Heh, I'm just joking with you again.

You say you define betterment as doing good, but I think being more fit enables you to do more good. Such as: Community service, coaching children, helping little old ladies with their enormous grocery bags. XD

On Topic: I'm fine with the way I look, I'm slim enough, gettin' myself a six-pack (Booyah), and I'm pretty athletic.

Only thing I don't like is that I'm starting to get some acne, but a little bit of cream here and there cures that problem. And my arms are a bit scrawny. I'm hoping to grow into myself in a few years.

Spikey-Eared Pichu
February 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Not in the slightest. 15 with pimples, lack of a six-pack, a huge ass and sausage thighs is not what I want to see in the mirror =(

Dirtyjerry
February 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'm confident but not cocky. I know I'm alright looking, but I don't think I'm the most attractive guy out there.

reyzn
February 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Yes. Flaws make a person unique.
I do complain about my nose sometimes though =x

Seymour Guado
February 20th, 2010, 08:03 PM

I think he means that before he lost weight he didn't like how he looked.

Opaque
February 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Not really, I feel that my weight is disproportionate to my height, and that I could use more curves... but I'm happy that I don't have any acne! XD

Kura
February 20th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I'm not the happiest with my appearance.. but I'm pretty content with who I am as a person.

:/ The body is just a vessel anyways.. I don't think people should let it hold them back from living.

インフェルノの津波
February 20th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Um...my height is a no-no. 4'01'' Is not cool.

Other then that, everything else is fine. My face has no pimples, they're gone, I have a "perfect build" according to my gym teacher, my hair is a bit messy, and that's all I have to say. Everything is good for me.

Rapide
February 20th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I am very happy with the way I look. =] Though sometimes I grow a bit self-conscious.

Eпvy
February 20th, 2010, 10:54 PM
No, I am not.

But I do like the color of my hair and my height. XD

DonRoyale
February 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I guess I could have bigger arms. That's about it, really. Maybe get rid of a bit of the body hair. I think, aside from that, I couldn't have asked the big guy upstairs for a better all-around package. :)

RCMF13
February 21st, 2010, 12:41 AM
Why would I care about looks?

Yes I am fine with how I look.

Camisado
February 21st, 2010, 01:08 AM
Yes, I like the way I look. Like someone said before me, I'm of slim build and have pretty good metabolism. xD ...and I look better without makeup! Which I really can't be bothered with.

Jordan
February 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM
A couple more inches, lose a bit of fat and I'll be perfectly content. I just need a bit more free time to exercise, and procrastination time doesn't count. Dx

TrinityLimit
February 21st, 2010, 09:01 AM
i like the way i look :D. Confidence! lol.

robobbiebob
February 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM
I hate how i look but i go on wii fit and try to improve my own style. :D
i hate it when some people just complain there fat and dont do anything about it, not that im saying anyone here is like that :P

.Gamer
February 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
Since the mere mention of my looks cause blindess and confusion, I will simply say yes.

:P

RHCP
February 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
I guess I'm happy with the way I look. But it wouldn't hurt to look a little like Anthony Kiedis... <3 :P

Virtual Chatot
February 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM

Personally, I don't care about how I look. Vanity is the value I find most annoying in many people.We are by our nature social beings, and to belong to society (at any level) is to be feeding that instinct towards community and comradeship. You may not strive to be skinny and "vane" as you put it, but you may try to connect with people on another level. If you're goth, you are going to wear dark clothing in the same way that people lose weight to be accepted by the mainstream. Do you see the logic? You can't escape society.

The fact that I was so self conscious about my weight that I refused to go to the pool at all occasions and now I'm actually applying to be a lifeguard at my city's pool says something. You obviously have a specific bias against people who strive to better themselves and their health, so I'll bite. Before I was constantly unhappy, unfit, and never wanted to be around other people. I covered up all my extra skin by wearing three layers of clothing, because I didn't want anyone to see my shame.

After losing my weight, I feel like I can socialize with people more, and that makes me happier. What I have is not vanity as you put it, I am simply content with my image as you are. Nothing to me feels better than being able to now wear my tight tshirts and skinny jeans with hemp sandals and not feel bad about myself.
That's pretty impressive results, but do you ever feel too thin now?

I am 6'3 and 165 and I feel like I could put on a bit more.Nah, I've managed to tone myself up a bit so I don't feel too thin.

Elesha
February 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
No, there's a couple of things I would change about my appearance starting with my height, I'm 4'11. D:

Oh, The Places You'll Go.
February 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
I happen to be one-hundred percent completely satisfied with my complextin and figure.
Let's drop the negativity, guys. Love you for yourself, not the way you or society perceives you.

twocows
February 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM
We are by our nature social beings, and to belong to society (at any level) is to be feeding that instinct towards community and comradeship. You may not strive to be skinny and "vane" as you put it, but you may try to connect with people on another level. If you're goth, you are going to wear dark clothing in the same way that people lose weight to be accepted by the mainstream. Do you see the logic? You can't escape society.
Goth (as a sub-culture) is stupid. I can't believe they don't see the irony in what they do, it's just so painfully obvious.

You can "escape society" by not caring about what it thinks and doing what you feel is best. If this happens to coincide what with society thinks is right, then that's fine, but you shouldn't do it just to fit the image of what sort of thing you need to look like. Losing weight because it improves your health would be an example of the former, but losing weight because it makes you more "acceptable" to society is an example of the latter.

The fact that I was so self conscious about my weight that I refused to go to the pool at all occasions and now I'm actually applying to be a lifeguard at my city's pool says something. You obviously have a specific bias against people who strive to better themselves and their health, so I'll bite. Before I was constantly unhappy, unfit, and never wanted to be around other people. I covered up all my extra skin by wearing three layers of clothing, because I didn't want anyone to see my shame.
Why were you self-conscious? It is because people crave acceptance by their peers, and one thing that our culture looks down is the idea of anything other than the "super model" look. The farther away you are from that image, the less acceptable it is to be in a swimsuit, for example. It's fine if you want to lose weight and buy into this thing, I understand why people do it. The thing I take contention with is when you use that phrase to define what you did; you call it "bettering yourself." That's not how I see it at all. I see nothing better in a fit person, other than perhaps a marginally higher life expectancy. And while more self-esteem may be a good thing, I think you could better yourself for real if you try to build self-confidence without buying into society's definition of what is a tolerable figure.

Virtual Chatot
February 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM
Goth (as a sub-culture) is stupid. I can't believe they don't see the irony in what they do, it's just so painfully obvious.It was an example, but I will admit their attempt at a counterculture of individualism has completely failed.

Why were you self-conscious? It is because people crave acceptance by their peers, and one thing that our culture looks down is the idea of anything other than the "super model" look. The farther away you are from that image, the less acceptable it is to be in a swimsuit, for example. It's fine if you want to lose weight and buy into this thing, I understand why people do it. The thing I take contention with is when you use that phrase to define what you did; you call it "bettering yourself." That's not how I see it at all. I see nothing better in a fit person, other than perhaps a marginally higher life expectancy. And while more self-esteem may be a good thing, I think you could better yourself for real if you try to build self-confidence without buying into society's definition of what is a tolerable figure.I was self conscious because I was a lazy bastard who never got off the couch and was always on the computer. I had skin hanging off of my body which represented a complete disregard for my well being. Simply not caring is just proof enough that you do care enough to not care.

.little monster
February 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'm fat.

I wouldn't say I am happy, or proud to be fat. But I am not sad or disappointed in myself because of it? Does that make sense? I guess...I don't really care because I believe all physical attributes should be ignored as they are completely irrelevant to one's emotions and thoughts?

I don't know..

twocows
February 21st, 2010, 04:28 PM
I was self conscious because I was a lazy bastard who never got off the couch and was always on the computer. I had skin hanging off of my body which represented a complete disregard for my well being. Simply not caring is just proof enough that you do care enough to not care.
If you changed your lifestyle to exclude being lazy, then that's great and you deserve to be proud. If all you did was diet or exercise for a few weeks to reverse the damage, you haven't addressed the root cause, and I just don't see that as something that's very valuable in itself.

Virtual Chatot
February 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
If you changed your lifestyle to exclude being lazy, then that's great and you deserve to be proud. If all you did was diet or exercise for a few weeks to reverse the damage, you haven't addressed the root cause, and I just don't see that as something that's very valuable in itself.I changed my whole self image and how I even view life. That's why I am so passionate about the subject.

The root cause is because I didn't there was anything to life, a belief that I am very happy was ripped from my being. We only have a short time living, why contemplate reasons why to hate society when you can just use it to be happy while we're here?

twocows
February 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM
I changed my whole self image and how I even view life. That's why I am so passionate about the subject.

The root cause is because I didn't there was anything to life, a belief that I am very happy was ripped from my being. We only have a short time living, why contemplate reasons why to hate society when you can just use it to be happy while we're here?
To quote Felicia from Sora no Woto, "I'm sure there's no meaning in this world. But isn't that wonderful? That means you can find your own." This is something I have long held to be true; there is no pre-ordained purpose to our lives, which leave us free to find our own meaning. I have made my own meaning in life, and as a result, I am happy. And it bothers me very much when society tells me that the things I choose to do in life are pointless or abnormal or whatever, and so I ignore what society tells me is the right way to live my life and live it how I want to.

Stairmaster
February 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I hate to sound like a total loser, but I am really attractive, so yes.

shu
February 21st, 2010, 07:07 PM
To quote Felicia from Sora no Woto, "I'm sure there's no meaning in this world. But isn't that wonderful? That means you can find your own." This is something I have long held to be true; there is no pre-ordained purpose to our lives, which leave us free to find our own meaning. I have made my own meaning in life, and as a result, I am happy. And it bothers me very much when society tells me that the things I choose to do in life are pointless or abnormal or whatever, and so I ignore what society tells me is the right way to live my life and live it how I want to.

It's nice to see people from michigan using pc.(even though mi does suck(:)

Pokepal17
February 21st, 2010, 07:16 PM
Sadly, I hate my appearance so much. I just care about what other people think of my physical features, not my perosnality. :'(

SquirtleGirl
February 22nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
I have a slightly big nose and ears and big hands and feet [for a girl] but I've learned to live with it. :)

I'm pretty happy with how I look and I try to dress to conceal the less flattering bits [though obviously not my nose, I draw the line at clothing my face XD]

mama luigi
February 22nd, 2010, 04:36 AM
I have no annoying stuff on my face but I hate its looking!

Swift!
February 22nd, 2010, 04:38 AM
I'm pretty much indifferent about my appearance. Sure, I could stand to lose a bit of weight, but overall I don't really care.

Sotto Voce
February 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'm content being the way I am. Life (not unlike one's appearance) has it's imperfections and I accept that. :D
Sure, there's the little things I don't like about me, but it's no biggie. :)

poopnoodle
February 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
can't say i'm not flawed but i'm quite content, thank you for asking.

Ineffable~
February 22nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
I don't care too much about my appearance...although it sometimes bothers me.
I have acne in the wrong places, and I look gross unless I shave like every week. :(
I've been called cute in photos (the ones I take myself, not family photos since I can't smile), but that's a little different from my appearance in real life.
But I like my hair, eyes, height, and the way I dress. I don't really mind the negative qualities that much. :3

Oh, also, I'm like the only person I know with a bad metabolism...and I like food. Dx

Patchisou Yutohru
February 22nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
We learn from a very young age that society tends to favor more athletic people, whether they have the build or the talent, it doesn't really matter. I've always found that the people I come to know tend to favor the more toned, tall body than the short stubby one when it comes to guys and the more feminine, sexy look for girls. I can't say I agree with them, but those are what most of the people in society these days tend to have as their inspiration. I know the reason I've been working so hard at getting back in shape isn't because I want to live a more healthy life but I want to look a specific way.

I realize that's incredibly vain, but exercise is something I've been in need of this past month considering the majority of the food my dad has been getting has been fast food and... that alone isn't healthy at all. For someone who tends to stay in the house all day, sitting around doing nothing while I'm in the house isn't good for me if I want to work at looking a specific way. But it's only one aspect of my body that really kills my self-esteem. Apart from that, I'd say that I like the way I look. I mean, just from fast food alone I've gained ten or so pounds in one month. That's not something I'm proud of. Not in the least considering I worked so hard before that to get at my ideal weight. I'm considering becoming a vegetarian, as well. Both for this reason and the way I think of meat recently (which, if you're interested in reading, you can find that in the Cannibalism thread).

But that's just my views on the way I want to look. I don't judge people who aren't built the way society praises that's ideal for everyone considering there's a lot to put into thought when it comes to body images.

But as far as how I look now: so long as my hair is the way I want it, I have confidence with the way I look physically. Sometimes, in fact, I have a little too much confidence with it, which is odd for me.

Okami Chi
February 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, for the most part. -50 pounds and I would be the most sexy thing alive! :D

sanny the hedgehog
February 22nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
yeah i like the way i look. im fine the way i am. except for the braces, those need to go before high school.

WonderGirl
February 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Well some people say I have a big ass but I don't care. I love it :3
I JUST LUV THE WAY I LOOK BABY!!

kjmj14
February 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
No, i'm not... :D
I need to rebond my hair and go to a dermatologist to remove my pimples in the face and then that's the time i am happy with my look... ;)

Guillermo
February 24th, 2010, 03:57 AM
If my hair isn't messy, then I hate the way I look. It's weird. I'm not the most attractive person in the world, and I heavily care about how people view me physically. Though I am athletic and have a high metabolism, I still think I can look better.

Yuoaman
February 24th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Not a bit.

I'm fat, my family can't afford nice clothes so I pretty much have enough clothes for a week which I have to wear. I make up for the deficiency with my personality, I hope. :\

Blue Nocturne
February 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm not that happy with my appearance, as I'm fine with my appearance, but my wish-list for improvement is:
- A slightly more muscular build (I'm not after chests as wide as my height, just something to not be embarrassed about)
- A slightly more tanned body, i'm quite pale and i hate it. But for some reason i don't tend to tan very well. My body has no problem burning though.
- A nicer jawline, im not too impressed with my facial features, my cheeks are horribly big, to the point where it seems unnatural

♣Gawain♣
February 25th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Nope. I'm not really satisfied the way I look. I want to be better, not for the sake of attracting "gurls". It's for my health. You see, I'm a undernourished guy.

Link13
February 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
no dont like the way that i look at all .....