PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Clarify rules

FreakyLocz14
February 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
A lot of the rules on the forum are very vauge. For example rules that say "No SPAM" or "No Trolling" are very vauge and open to debate regarding when these rules have been broken.

It's only fair to our members that it is clearly explained what is prohibited and what the consequences are for doing what is prohibited.

There are members as young as 9 years old who visit PC so they might not get the idea of what things like SPAM, trolling, flaming, etc. are unless it is explained to them.

NiKaNoRoU
February 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I personally think that those rules aren't made for 9 year olds who join the forum just for the fun of wi-fi battling. Besides, there are always much older people that break those rules, and I'm pretty sure that they know what 'spam/trolling/flaming' means. It's more than clear enough to me, even though I have experience in forum browsing. The thing with people is that they ignore the rules, rather than read them and not understand.

FreakyLocz14
February 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Yes there are always cases where people have outright broken the rules and no reasonable person would deny they did but there are also times where the line between acceptable and unacceptable behavior is thin.

For, example, a member could be making a joke to a friend (provided it's not vulgar or insulting to others) but a moderator decides that this constitutes trolling and infracts or bans them for it.

Kaori
February 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91723

^ I'm pretty sure the rules clear up what those things are. If some people would actually read this, then they'd know what spam, trolling, double-posting, etc. is all about. Also, forums most likely want you to read the forum board rules, so you don't mess up these things as they define why you can't do the following. So basically all they need to do is read the main rules [which the link is provided in every section] and they'll be good to go. :]

Arcanine
February 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM
There are members as young as 9 years old who visit PC so they might not get the idea of what things like SPAM, trolling, flaming, etc. are unless it is explained to them. You forgot to put a "1" in front of that "9".
When I saw this thread the first thing I did was go to your profile, and low and behold...

But what rules needs to be looked at? The rules are pretty straight forward and pretty clean cut.
Take the SPAM one for example. It's pretty clear, and even if we dumbed them down to say something like "Don't make off topic posts" they'd ask what off topic means. So doing something like that would be pointless.

Ninja Caterpie
February 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Take the SPAM one for example. It's pretty clear, and even if we dumbed them down to say something like "Don't make off topic posts" they'd ask what off topic means. So doing something like that would be pointless.

Oh no, it's definitely not clear enough.

There's a guy going around talking about freedom of speech and how it's limited here because he got an infraction for spamming reports.

You said posts in the rules is his argument.

Timbjerr
February 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I've always thought that it was all pretty straightforward...of course, when I first joined PC, I was a veteran of Yahoo chatrooms, so I've heard all these terms before. Even still, it doesn't take a very long explanation to get across what constitutes SPAM, flaming, or trolling. If nothing else, take an infraction and learn form experience. >_>

FreakyLocz14
February 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
You forgot to put a "1" in front of that "9".
When I saw this thread the first thing I did was go to your profile, and low and behold...

But what rules needs to be looked at? The rules are pretty straight forward and pretty clean cut.

Well the forum wide rules are fairly well explained but you can never be too safe. It's the forum specific rules that are vauge. I've seen just simply "No Trolling" or no something else listed and pretty much no explanation to what they consider to be trolling on those forums.

Also the "How we define hacked Pokemon" rule in the Trade Corner doesn't answer my question as to whether "legit" hacked Pokemon (hacked but still within normal stat ranges, movesets, etc.) are allowed or banned.

TwilightBlade
February 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Also the "How we define hacked Pokemon" rule in the Trade Corner doesn't answer my question as to whether "legit" hacked Pokemon (hacked but still within normal stat ranges, movesets, etc.) are allowed or banned.

Trade Corner Rules (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82487)

This list could go on for a while, but the point is, any Pokémon caught or edited with the use of programs such as: Action Replay, Codebreaker, Gameshark, Pokesav, we do not allow here.

I assume you are asking whether or not Pokesav'd teams with reasonable stats are able to be traded. Well, by my standards, they are banned. Edited is pretty straightforward. Cloned would be okay (it is a copy, not an edit) while altered ribbons, EVs, IVs, nicknames, etc or whatever Pokesav may do to files would not be allowed.

However, the rules are different for battlers.

Addressing Hacks used in Battle Stadium Rules (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5418894&postcount=3)

Thread creators can specify whether Pokémon in their battle threads are hacked or not.
Players may choose accept battling with hacked Pokémon, and the outcome generally may not be fair. When a battle thread is created, the title must state whether hacked Pokémon are used.

I think you need to read carefully, unless you are asking for examples of what is a hacked Pokemon, or for the bigger picture, examples of what is a trolling post or what is SPAM. However, this varies from forum to forum.... Posting "I had a cheeseburger for breakfast!" would be SPAM in any Pokemon forum but acceptable in the Daily Chit Chat.... Most 9 year old kids I know can read, especially what section they are in, so they should be capable of making contributions to that particular section. If not, um, go back to school for another few years.

Arcanine
February 20th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Oh no, it's definitely not clear enough.

There's a guy going around talking about freedom of speech and how it's limited here because he got an infraction for spamming reports.

You said posts in the rules is his argument. Should have gotten 2 infractions... I hate that number at the top right of the page. XD

The reason why we say "posts" is because it mainly goes to posts. Spamming PMs or VMs isn't a big deal. I mean it goes over to harassment (sending them over and over when the person was asked to stop) then that's where the Staff come in and say "You're stopping this now *Infracted*".
But stuff like that rarely comes up (or not enough for us to edit the rules).

mystletainn
February 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
The beauty of rules is that they can be interpreted. They're not always set in stone. And if you feel like a staff member is abusing the rules, bring it up with other staff members. We will discuss the issue and figure out if they crossed a line. It's not that hard ~_~

*Firestar*
February 21st, 2010, 01:11 AM
^^

No, it isn't really that hard people. Yes rules can be interpreted, but also, you can't just say "Well that's how I interpreted the rules" after spamming and earning yourself an infraction. They have to be followed, but there is a margin where you are allowed to strech the rules. Beond that margin though, is when you'll get an infraction. This is pretty simple, and if you aren't sure of a rule, look at the rules page again. Can't hurt can it?

Ineffable~
February 21st, 2010, 05:33 AM
I just want to say one last thing.
Use common sense.
Even if you don't know what "trolling" or "SPAM" is, you could always look them up on UrbanDictionary like I did. :x use common sense to determine what one could consider a breach of the rules. I think it's pretty simple to know what you're not supposed to do, even with subjective rules. As some would call it, the difference between wrong and right.

Muffin™
February 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM
Well you could ban 'em (If they SPAM, ect.) and then they'll know what SPAM, flaming, and trolling means!

I'm only 11, but I know what SPAM, trolling, and flaming mean. (Having spamming many things on other forums ^^)