PDA

View Full Version : What type of screen do you use/prefer?

Apple Inc.
February 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Okay I haven't made a thread in a while. So I think I'm due. :).

So what type of screen do you use whether it be for your Computer or Television.

You can pick from the older CRT Standard or the newer ones such as LCD, Plasma, and OLED.

CRT Monitors are the older Tube TV's and screens. Known for their size, weight, and flicker.

LCD Monitors are the flat panels that most new computers are included with and one of the current TV options.

Plasma Monitors are (from what I know) only for Television and are known for their High Contrast Ratio and Viewing Angles

And OLED Screens are known for their extremely high Contrast Ratio and their very high price point.

I personally use LCD for all my personal Computer and Television things. But pretty much everywhere in the rest of the house CRTs are still in use. If given the choice I would go with OLED if it were cheaper. But LCD isn't too bad itself.

So what are your guys' preferences on these things?

SiReNzZ
February 24th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I use my T.V thats in my room :)
It has a standard connection to the pc .
Its a 42 inch Sharp LCD T.V

twocows
February 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM
LCD screens are fine for me. CRT ones give me headaches, even if the refresh rate is really high.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
February 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I have a Plasma TV and CRT Monitor, both hooked to my computer.

That's not by choice, though. I'd rather have both be LCD. My monitor flickers when near my phone, and the Plasma TV has a little more glare than I'd like. I got it because it was cheap. ($550 for 42")

Aljam
February 24th, 2010, 05:37 PM
my lappy uses LED its pretty awesome!

.Bullet
February 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I'm content with my laptop's LED screen. I think my HDTV is an LED as well.

CRT monitors are too bulky for me.

donavannj
February 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I prefer LCD because I have no experience with anything else besides CRT. I use LCD primarily, but I have a CRT around as backup.

Gerri Shin
February 25th, 2010, 06:42 AM
my preference is OLED, but I can get by just fine with LCD and LED flat screens. I cannot use CRT monitors for any reason, due to the fact that they cannot support a high enough refresh rate so that I cannot detect the blinking.

Okami Chi
February 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I like to use Smart Boards, but my TV in my room, because I only get to use a Smart Board for like 85 min a day. (Tech. Class)

Cassino
February 25th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I prefer CRTs first of all because of their weight, you can actually adjust their facing without tipping them over(!) and to me it's just how a computer screen is meant to look.
Now, mainly, I like them because one can adjust the screen size and everything easily; pretty much the most one can do on a LCD (only other kind I've used) is change the contast and brightness. For instance I can't stand widescreen monitors but should I ever decide or require to switch to a widescreen resolution, I can adjust the height and width of the projection so it's not horribly stretched one way or the other, and don't need to get a new monitor...

donavannj
February 25th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I prefer CRTs first of all because of their weight, you can actually adjust their facing without tipping them over(!) and to me it's just how a computer screen is meant to look.
Now, mainly, I like them because one can adjust the screen size and everything easily; pretty much the most one can do on a LCD (only other kind I've used) is change the contast and brightness. For instance I can't stand widescreen monitors but should I ever decide or require to switch to a widescreen resolution, I can adjust the height and width of the projection so it's not horribly stretched one way or the other, and don't need to get a new monitor...

What kind of LCD have you used? o_o; Every LCD screen I've used, I can change the resolution in both the computer OS and on the LCD screen itself. You do have to know what you're looking for, though.

Cassino
February 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM
What kind of LCD have you used? o_o; Every LCD screen I've used, I can change the resolution in both the computer OS and on the LCD screen itself. You do have to know what you're looking for, though.
Eh what? Oh I see that wasn't the clearest of my posts...
I'm on about the screen stretching when you change the LCD's resolution to one which is a different ratio, say going 1280x1024 to 1280x748, and there being nothing outside of BIOS options to change said stretching (on laptops anyway...). Whereas with a CRT one can just narrow/expand the screen until the pixels are square again.

What I mean by new monitor is, assuming desktop computers with LCD screens have no BIOS or otherwise option concerning the stretching, one would need to replace their 4:3 monitor with a 16:9, or vice versa, one for it to display nicely.

donavannj
February 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Well, laptops are a whole different monster from desktops, since the manufacturer intends that they be shipped with only one kind of monitor.

And, with new desktops, modern OSes (and far more modern LCD screens) can compensate as long as you have your video card drivers installed. My LCD TV, which I was using as a monitor for my desktop until it broke because of a family member's carelessness, could change the native resolution that it receives images from the desktop (say from 1366x768 to 1024x768) and would eliminate the stretching by simply not using the 171 pixels to either side. It would do the same thing if it received the command from the OS. A lot of the stretching issues have more to do with the laziness of the video card manufacturer than anything.

Misaka Shiori
March 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM
I use mainly LCD and LED backlit displays. However, my perference is pretty much a 16:10 aspect ratio screen with anti-glare. I own a glossy screen on my laptop (Macbook Pro) and it becomes pain in the neck since you always have grease marks on the screen and dust when you open it up and I have to get a cloth just to clean it every time I use it...

I also don't like 16:9 aspect ratio screens. They are pointless and you lose screen real estate. I find them good on TV screens, but not on a laptop or computer screen.

It's sad that most of the laptops come with only glossy screens, although some laptops still have anti-glare screens.