PDA

View Full Version : So... What languages do you know?

leviverrin
February 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM
So, what languages do you guys speak? (Besides the obvious English.)

mondays suck
February 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
German at French. I'm horrible at the latter one though.

twocows
February 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Java, BASIC, a bit of C++, a little Python, HTML, some CSS, a small bit of Javascript, Windows batch file scripting, and Bash scripting.

Jordan
February 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Java, BASIC, a bit of C++, a little Python, HTML, some CSS, a small bit of Javascript, Windows batch file scripting, and Bash scripting.
It's quite impressive that you can speak in Javascript. It's tough enough to just type it.

But anyhoo, I can read and speak Vietnamese fluently, though writing isn't something I'm good at anymore. I haven't wrote a page of Vietnamese in years.

Galukxy
February 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
french quiet alot of it, um abit of spanish, google translator comes in handy once in a while

Timbjerr
February 27th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I'm not fluent enough to speak it properly, but I can certainly read and write in Spanish if I have to. :P

NiKaNoRoU
February 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Greek (mother language)
English (obviously)
Italian (didn't get the degree, but I'm on that level) - then easily got boosted on Spanish
German (quite a few, 3 years of german lessons)
Japanese (every japanese word/phrase/grammar a fellow otaku can learn.)

Plus, various Russian words, as I get visited by them often. ;p

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
February 27th, 2010, 10:59 AM
English (I wasn't born speaking English as in English wasn't my first language so I consider English and other Language.)
Malay
A bit of French.
A bit of Japanese.

And, I can read Arabic Letters, but that's about it...

Buoysel
February 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I know English, a little Spanish, and am currently learning Japanese.

.little monster
February 27th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I can read and write quite a bit of Spanish. But if spoken I just stand there with a "o_O" face. I might start learning Dutch, maybe Esperanto or something else.

Blue Nocturne
February 27th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I can speak fluent Greek, as well as a little french (only a little, my french teacher is a 'bag of wasted air', and there's something really wrong because another teacher said that about her) and limited spanish. I can understand (but not write or read) a little japanese.

OokamiShipper
February 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
American (I'm kidding, I swear)
I also speak um...Mandarin (semi fluently), Japanese (Just a little bit, I can understand most phrases and speak simple ones), and I'm still trying to learn French. My sister's also pushing me to learn Spanish; so far, I can only count in Spanish...up to 100 or so. xD

The only language I can write in is English, I can't read or write in the rest of the languages I know.

twocows
February 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
It's quite impressive that you can speak in Javascript. It's tough enough to just type it.

But anyhoo, I can read and speak Vietnamese fluently, though writing isn't something I'm good at anymore. I haven't wrote a page of Vietnamese in years.
My voice doesn't have a non-alphanumeric parser, though, so when I come across a semicolon or something, I just make a weird noise.

leviverrin
February 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I can read and write quite a bit of Spanish. But if spoken I just stand there with a "o_O" face. I might start learning Dutch, maybe Esperanto or something else.
Mi lernantas ĝin nu. Ĝi estas tre facila.

I can speak conversational Spanish and French. Right now, I'm trying to learn Esperanto, Russian (really confusing @_@), basic Swedish, and Japanese.

Although, the only things I can say in Swedish are:
"Hunden är där."
and
"Du gav mig inte alla delarna!" (IKEA. :P)

jester123
February 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM
French,Telugu, English. Trilingual ftw?

Gumball Watterson
February 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Hmm... you are multilingual then, like me :D.

Anyways. I speak English and Spanish. I am learning Japanese and am planning on Italian later on. The school gives us access to Rosetta Stone Online so my progress is excellent! :D

Lt_Nite
February 27th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I've been brought up speaking french quite a bit seeing as my mother and grandmother spoke it, but I've taken classes since 7th grade. Other than that just a TAD bit of German and that's it.

Esper
February 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM
A good amount of Japanese, and I don't mean only desu! baka! kawaii! otaku Japanese.

Once upon a time I knew some French, but not anymore.

shu
February 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
a can speak some japanese,im still learning.and i can write in japanese.

The Cynic
February 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Used to speak German, Arabic and French semi-fluently. Still not bad at my German but other languages have diwindled. I know useful snippets of Russian, Spanish and Portugese and I have a bit of Italian because of its significance in music (accelerando!).

I have a friend who studies French & German and he's absolutely freaky the number of languages he can speak (about 5 fluently and 5 semi-fluently).

Medli
February 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Nice. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, mind you.

I'm learning French and Chinese. My French is absolutely horrible, though. I've had bad teachers three years in a row. Hopefully, the next year will be better.

I desperately want to learn Italian, and maybe a little German as well. I can pronounce words in German, though. I take vocal lessons, so I had to sing a lot of songs in German. Yeah. It's really useful knowing how to "speak" German when you have no idea what you're saying, but it's fun.

Yeah, the reason I want to take Italian is for musical purposes, but it sounds like a beautiful language. I know scattered words thanks to musical terms, but it's not that helpful. : P

Edit: Just wanted to say that I admire all those who know can read or write Arabic. I'm not familiar with its sound, but the text is so beautiful. It's like art.

daigonite
February 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I speak English. I also can read and understand German, but I hate speaking it.

Muffin™
February 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well I'm taking Spanish in Foreign Language class (I'm in 5th grade o_o) And YES I speak English >.<

Dakota
February 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM
English (No duh), Bengali (My parents are from Bangladesh), Spanish (I'm learning), and that's about it... well, I can read Arabic, but I have no idea what I'm saying. : O

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM
German (obviously) and English. I'm currently learning to speak and read Russian, but it's pretty difficult.

They make us take two languages in Gymnasium in Germany. English is a required language. So it's only fitting that I would speak German and English xD I really hope I can become fluent in Russian, though, because it seems like a really neat language.

Kon~
February 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Aside from English, I did my French GCSE last year (I got a B) and am doing Spanish this year. (predicted A)

Plus, I'm working on developing a new fictional language. I have the letters down (26, like english) and I just need to work out conventional speech structure. It's working title right now is Foxpeak, as I was developing it use by Kitsune characters, but I might change that.

.little monster
February 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Oh, I also can read and write the Cyrillic alphabet. My school notes are all in English but instead of being written with Latin letters, I use Cyrillic letters. :D

Ayselipera
February 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I only know some basic Spanish. Technically I've been learning Spanish for about three years now, but I don't really care for it. So I only know a couple sentences here and there.

Went
February 27th, 2010, 02:15 PM
As a Spaniard, I speak Spanish (obviously XD), and I'm somewhat decent at Catalan.

SquirtleGirl
February 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
English. Quite a bit of Irish [more than I thought I could actually] and French [I studied it for three years and hated it though, and I've forgotten it all XD]

Diat Duit mo chairde

[Hello, my friends :)]

And I'm currently learning a bit of Russian but it's only a twelve week, one hour a week course so i won't be anywhere close to fluent XD

Samme!
February 27th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Well I'm learning French in school, but I'm absolutely terrible at it. I can usually read some French things and understand what it means, but my vocabulary is pretty limited as well as my speaking abilities >:,

leviverrin
February 27th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Oh, I also can read and write the Cyrillic alphabet. My school notes are all in English but instead of being written with Latin letters, I use Cyrillic letters. :D
XD I do that too! People think it's actually Russian.

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I do that with Russian xD I'll write the backwards R's and stuff, and even throw in some of those theta signs with the slash through the O. It's quite interesting because no one really understands my notes, even though they're all very readable, you just have to look and see.

.little monster
February 27th, 2010, 02:59 PM
XD I do that too! People think it's actually Russian.
We seriously need to talk on AIM/MSN/Skype sometime! o:

I've decided to learn Esperanto, in case anyone cares.
I do that with Russian xD I'll write the backwards R's and stuff, and even throw in some of those theta signs with the slash through the O. It's quite interesting because no one really understands my notes, even though they're all very readable, you just have to look and see.
Isn't it required in law to write Russian in Cyrillic in Russia? If so, then you should write in Cyrillic. :3

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Isn't it required in law to write Russian in Cyrillic in Russia? If so, then you should write in Cyrillic. :3
...lolwut.

I just Googled that apparently Cyrillic is what you call the Russian alphabet. Who knew? Either way, I write my notes mostly in that alphabet.

Drew
February 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I know English, and a good amount of Japanese. Other than that.. I know maybe five words of Spanish that I learned when I was 8, two words that I remember from French class in 8th grade, aaand maybe another ten words of German due to listening to too much Tokio Hotel. xD; -shot-

.little monster
February 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM
...lolwut.

I just Googled that apparently Cyrillic is what you call the Russian alphabet. Who knew? Either way, I write my notes mostly in that alphabet.
Yes, in Russia it is required by law for things (at least, official things) to be written in Cyrillic. I just looked it up. :]

You didn't know? lolu. It's not specifically the Russian alphabet though, just like the English alphabet isn't just for English. It uses the Latin alphabet as does almost all Romance (derived from Latin) and Germanic languages. Not to mention more such as many African languages now, Celtic languages, and almost all other languages have Latin-equivalent writing systems. :]

Cyrillic is used in Bulgarian, Ukrainian, and Serbian (used to be, but I understand now that more people use the Latin alphabet) are just a few that use Cyrillic letters. Most, if not all Slavik languages have used it in the past or do still use it.

SquirtleGirl
February 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Does Sign Language count too? :L Just wondering.

Mind I've forgotten that too :L

Kon~
February 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Oh! I know some sign language too. My mother works with hearing-impaired kids and she taught me some stuff. I can do alphabet, a couple of countries, forms of transport, a few animals and various bits and bobs from elsewhere.

But it's english, not Ameslan.

SquirtleGirl
February 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Ah yeah mine too :)

I don't fancy trying to do Sign Language in Russian :O:P

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
maybe another ten words of German due to listening to too much Tokio Hotel. xD; -shot-
No surprise there :3

And yeah, I'm not doing too well in Russian xD I like sticking with German and English because there are only four letters in German different from English: ä, ö, ü, and ß. And they're easy to keep track of. With Russian's 33 or so letters, I get really confused ;__;

Kleinchen
February 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Obviously I speak English, and I am semi-almost-fluent-ish in German from studying it for 3 years. Would have been doing it this year too but they cut the program from my school due to budget cuts :C But I'm going to pick it up again in college, as it's my hope to go to Germany someday and spend some time there n.n

I also speak a couple words of Vulcan from watching too much Star Trek, if that counts... xD

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 03:40 PM
But I'm going to pick it up again in college, as it's my hope to go to Germany someday and spend some time there n.n
I'll kidnap you and stuff you into my suitcase so we can go there together :3
I was born and raised in Germany, and I'm going back after college, so yeah xD

I used to speak Klingon when I was little.
I'm scared of those times >:

Kleinchen
February 27th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I'll kidnap you and stuff you into my suitcase so we can go there together :3
I was born and raised in Germany, and I'm going back after college, so yeah xD

I used to speak Klingon when I was little.
I'm scared of those times >:

Haha sounds like a plan xD I'm a pretty small person so I'll fit into your suitcase no problem :P

Aww sounds cute xD a little kid speaking Klingon... aww! <3

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Aww sounds cute xD a little kid speaking Klingon... aww! <3
ಠ__ಠ
No. Especially since I'm a girl.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/87/l_8f909bd79665465d9ad5b93b52769a95.jpg
^ Picture that speaking Klingon.
[I'm the girl in the middle, the oldest one.]
Taken during a trip to America when we stopped in Atlantic City to see a baseball game.
._.

Lana.
February 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Spanish. I've been taking it for a while now - still a few years left, though (darn IB program...).

Mariah Carey
February 27th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Considering Français is my first language, I can say that I know that, English and a little bit of German, though I am horrible at German, really.

leviverrin
February 27th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I just realized. I forgot to put that I was also attempting to learn German. (That's going slightly better than the Russian. >_>) Although, all I know right now is "Der Junge isst." XD

Kleinchen
February 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM
ಠ__ಠ
No. Especially since I'm a girl.

Lol well I think it would be cute in a funny sort of way 8D

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I just realized. I forgot to put that I was also attempting to learn German. (That's going slightly better than the Russian. >_>) Although, all I know right now is "Der Junge isst." XD
"The boy eats."

Bahahahaha.

@Kleinchen: Trust me, it was not cute >___>
...probably. I don't even remember.

Franceschi
February 27th, 2010, 05:45 PM
even throw in some of those theta signs with the slash through the OWhich character are you talking about? 'Cause I learn Russian and as far I know, that isn't part of the alphabet. XD;

In answer to OP's question: I am currently learning Russian and I know enough French and Spanish to get by. I'd love to learn Korean or Japanese or something - something Asian 'cause it sounds cool. :B

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 05:48 PM
If you wanted to be technical, I could say I was talking about Ф.

But actually I meant ø.
I didn't say it was Russian specifically xD
I just said I also use it.
:3

Franceschi
February 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM
'Kay. Well, I know the first one is in the alphabet 'cause I need it to spell my real name. Isn't the second character Greek? Wait .. why am I analysing this so much? XD;

Team Rocket's Raichu
February 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I can speak fluent and advance English, where I live (even though it is in America) that is impressive.

I'm suppose also be learning Spanish, but I hardly pay attention in class, yet for some reason I'm still getting and A.

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM
'Kay. Well, I know the first one is in the alphabet 'cause I need it to spell my real name. Isn't the second character Greek? And why am I analysing this so much? XD;
Oh, that's so cool. You should totes VM me your real name ;]

Yes, the second character is Greek, hence the 'theta'. I find it a really interesting character. I love the way it looks. But actually the one I posted isn't Greek, it's a math symbol...or something. I think it's, like, null set or something. But it's very close to the theta sign. The theta sign is a 0 slashed and I don't like it as much as a circle slashed. I really like the weird E sign as well, the one that means "sum". I forget what it's called D:

Gunn
February 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I suck and only know bits of other languages. I think I'm okay with Spanish. I can read it but not so much speak it...

I really like the weird E sign as well, the one that means "sum". I forget what it's called D:

Sigma! ... I think! The omega one is pretty cool to: Ω

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, sigma. That's what you get for being in Honors Algebra 2 and learning all those Greek letters.
They were pretty neat, though.

Synaesthesia
February 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I can speak English and French. Woot. :D

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY DID I FORGET I CAN SPEAK FRENCH.
Because I can speak that too ;___;
Parce que je parle francais ;___;

leviverrin
February 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY DID I FORGET I CAN SPEAK FRENCH.
Because I can speak that too ;___;
Parce que je parle francais ;___;
Ouiiiiiiii! Pourquoi rirais-tu parce que j'ai dit « Der Junge isst. » ?

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Ouiiiiiiii! Pourquoi rirais-tu parce que j'ai dit « Der Junge isst. » ?
Because it's simple.
It's like learning "I am a girl" in English.
xD

leviverrin
February 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Because it's simple.
It's like learning "I am a girl" in English.
xD
"Jag är en flicka." :P
I can do that in Swedish.

Cherrim
February 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM
English is the only language I can speak fluently. :(

I can speak decent French, but I don't get any practise with it so I never get a chance to hone my skills. I could get by in it no problem, I'm sure, and once I do start speaking it, I pick it back up fairly quickly, but I'm far from fluent. I can read/write it much better than I speak it though.

I also know rudimentary Japanese. I can't speak it well at ALL because I don't know enough vocab but I can get by if I'm listening to it (or reading it if I have a kanji dictionary on hand).

That's all though. I'd love to learn Chinese (Mandarin, specifically) but it looks terrifying, haha. German is also crawling up my list because a lot of my friends are learning it but that's really the only interest I have in it. D: There are a few others but I'll stop there.

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
That's all though. I'd love to learn Chinese (Mandarin, specifically) but it looks terrifying, haha. German is also crawling up my list because a lot of my friends are learning it but that's really the only interest I have in it. D: There are a few others but I'll stop there.
They taught Mandarin at my old school. I was surprised because there were a lot of people who actually took it ._.
I wouldn't try it. Too many letters and such D:

German is easier to learn than English.
English has a lot of slang, specifically American English.
I just learned the word "reckon" xD

leviverrin
February 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
They taught Mandarin at my old school. I was surprised because there were a lot of people who actually took it ._.

God yes! Same thing if you're from the South and you hear northern English.

Cherrim
February 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM

The part that terrifies me about learning Mandarin is actually just the pronunciation and actual speaking of it. I had a friend who accidentally signed up for Mandarin classes instead of Japanese back when we took extra language classes in high school on Saturdays and he dropped it really quickly because of how difficult it was. D: The characters I'd probably be pretty okay with--apparently a lot of them have similar or identical meanings to the Japanese ones.

I learnt English just by growing up so luckily I never really had to deal with having to learn it as a second language... so I really have no idea how hard it would be to learn German in comparison with it. XD; Even so, the language has really never interested me. I'm more interested in the fact that I might have people to practise it with, be it via IM or otherwise. But I don't think it's enough to sway me into learning it. Oh well.

Zorua
February 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Sad to admit that I'm only fluent in English. D:

I used to be fluent in Japanese, but that sorta dropped because I lost interest in the language as I decided it was unfit for my major.

I can also understand some Spanish, too. Sad to say I'm not...the best person in the world to speak it, but I'm a natural at it, so once I begin to speak it, I learn quick, and thus pick up most things in a fast manner.

Kon~
February 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Je parle un peu de francais, pero me gusta el espanol tambien, and I love writing multilingual sentences.

God yes! Same thing if you're from the South and you hear northern English.

That's because england has the most varied accents for its size, or something. You can literally go about 50 miles in any direction and find a different accent (might be exaggering, who knows. I went two miles north of where I live, in the centre of a town, and found a whole different county.)

Ineffable~
February 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Omg. I'm only fluent in English. ;_;
I'm taking Spanish and I'm in my second year (my school ftl since I could be in my fourth year right now otherwise). Also taking two more years of Spanish and starting French next year before college. My school only offers those two languages, and French for the last two years only. D:

I...tend to start learning languages independently, but then just slough them off because I'm lazy. x_x;

I'm also learning Esperanto right now and I really love it. I think it's a beautiful language, and I think I may become fluent quickly unlike everything else.
Also, I learn some German phrases and words from a friend of mine. xD And I know the regular present-tense indicative verb conjugation for French and German, and the verb forms of Japanese, and kana, but then again my kana knowledge sucks since I'm always forgetting them. But since I don't plan to do anything with Japanese or German yet (German maybe, actually...), I'm just leaving it alone for now.
Yes, the second character is Greek, hence the 'theta'. I find it a really interesting character. I love the way it looks. But actually the one I posted isn't Greek, it's a math symbol...or something. I think it's, like, null set or something. But it's very close to the theta sign. The theta sign is a 0 slashed and I don't like it as much as a circle slashed.
θθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθ
Ø is used in Danish, Norwegian, and Faroese. :3

MegaSlowBro.
February 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Only English T_T but, I am currently learning Japanese (I already know my Hiragana! ^_^ I'm currently learning katakana).

Griffinbane
February 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm 90.5% sure I'm the only one on these forums who can speak diojiu semi-fluently. That's a Chinese dialect if anyone's wondering. By default I know a teeny bit of Mandarin, I know how to write a teeny bit too. Not enough to function, however. I also know a teeny bit of Japanese and I can read and write hiragana and katakana semi-fluently...although I won't understand what I'm reading or writing. =/

I quit taking Japanese because if I were to continue taking it, I'd be pushing my graduation date back by another year and well, it's not worth it. Eventually I want to continue learning it, if only so I can watch Xenosaga: A Missing Year without moaning and groaning about no one willing to translate the story. :(

emoBill™
February 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Why did this get moved? D:
It's not a voting poll.
It's asking what languages we speak.
If we listed the languages as poll options there'd be a million of them.
._.

Sweet Jasmine
February 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I know Tagalog(obviously), Bicolano, Bisaya, English, Chinese, Spanish(still learning more of them) : 3

Gunn
February 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Ø is used in Danish, Norwegian, and Faroese. :3

HEY. I learned something today, hur. I've only seen that slashed O used in Danish before and that's why I got into the language (before I lost interest...). I think it looks cool. o: After my whole Danish phase, I started preferring European languages over others around the world.

The part that terrifies me about learning Mandarin is actually just the pronunciation and actual speaking of it.

Chinese even LOOKS hard. The characters look pretty complex to me compared to other Asian languages. I recognize Korean because of the little circles I seen written in it sometimes. XD

Patchisou Yutohru
February 27th, 2010, 11:07 PM
This has grown to become quite a discussion. I'm going to be moving it to Other Chat where it belongs now!

Yuoaman
February 27th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I can only speak English fluently, though I can usually get the gist of some French when it's spoken slowly or when it's written. But even that's a stretch at times...

[size="1"]That's nine years of French for you.[/size
]

reyzn
February 28th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I can only speak english ^^; but I do understand tagalog and bicolano.

Misheard Whisper
February 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I've been learning Spanish at high school for a year and a half (and a few weeks) now, plus a few basic lessons at middle school. My teacher then didn't have any clue, though. Hopeless all round, but especially at Spanish.

I'd also like to learn Japanese, but for now it's limited to a few greetings, honorifics and some basic courtesies.

Idiot!
February 28th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Language #0: English. That's for sure.

Language #1. Not telling
Language #2. Not telling either.
Language #3. Also not telling.

Kon~
February 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Oh, and I also speak a little Seagull.

Forgot to mention that earlier.

Yes. I can command seagulls. And they usually comply.

And, of course, I neglected the power and made one poop on an ex-friend's head. Or maybe that was just an elaborate coincidence. We may never know.

... and you'll all think I'm joking with this. But I'm not. Or am I?
(but I'm not. Or am I? No. Or...?)

TrinityLimit
February 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
i know a little bit of english, spanish, and tagalog. im more fluent in spanish though. english is my main language :D

TheReal
February 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
English, Portuguese and Spanish ;)

Aquerex
March 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM
I happen to know English and American ;)

Lol seriously, my main language is English, but I do know a little bit of Spanish. Just a few sentances XD

WonderGirl
March 2nd, 2010, 05:25 AM
French (I am French)
Portuguese (I live in a Portuguese-colonised country)
Indian (I am Indian but I only understand a bit)
and I understand a bit of Italian and I know a few insults in German, Japanese and Arabic ;)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
March 2nd, 2010, 05:41 AM
I know English.

I learned Spanish in school, but I've forgotten most of it due to non use. Ditto with C++ and JAVA (both computer languages XD)

I'm picking up on a very limited amount of Japanese courtesy of my anime addiction :P

lollypop1997
March 2nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
I know English,Irish,Russian,Latvian and a bit of French(I live in Ireland so I know Irish)(I am from Latvia so I know Latvian but if you look back to my great grandparents at second world war they moved to Latvia,in Latvia most people speach in Russian.

Ricky429
March 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
I know French, Spanish, and currently learning German. German is the number one language ive always wanted to learn. Idk y but its always seemed like a cool language to me lol.

firestormx19
March 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
i know a bit of japanese and chinese thanks to the my coach games for the ds. i really need to start using them again. i'm starting to lose my japanese and chinese and it fun to play the mini games.

Sotto Voce
March 4th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Other than the obvious, quite a bit of Spanish (took classes in school, although I'm a bit slow due to lack of use) and ASL (I have a deaf friend so I learned on my own and I'm pretty fluent now). :)

Ezzo!
March 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
English-main language
German-took classes
Spanish-grew up with it
French-took classes
Italian-taught myself since my school doesn't teach Italian.

mvtm
March 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Mother language Spanish and advanced French.

Kaori
March 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The only language I can speak fluently is English. n_n I've learned some Spanish and Hindi before, but I can only make notice of a few words from the two. However, I would like to be able to learn Japanese; could help with future upcoming pokémon games. XD;

World King
March 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Being a Mexican, Spanish is my native language, but with years, I've learned to speak/write/read/translate/understand English perfectly. I even gave English class during my high-school years.

TheUltimateSacrifice
March 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse.

Erick
March 5th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Well, I speak Spanish, English, French and a little bit of japanese. :3

Droidz
March 5th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Besides English, i can speak Italian and im starting to learn Japanese(pretty hard).

Arma
March 5th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I live in the Netherlands so of course I can speak/write/read Dutch. I can also speak Spanish and French

zappyspiker
March 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Apart from English I can fully understand Tagalog but have a hard time trying to speak it since I was born in an English speaking country. But I also know a tiny bit of French, German, Spanish and Chinese

Pokéball
March 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I can speak English and French.

As for the French bit, I've been learning it for ten years, so it's pretty good. I still get some words messed up and such, but I guess that's normal. I can carry on a good conversation pretty well though, so I guess that's what counts.

Sora's Nobody
March 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Im completely fluent in French(lived there many years) Danish(mother) English (father)

POKEMON_MASTER_0
March 7th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Spanish is my second language. I'm currently taking my fourth year of it in school. I would say that although in-class lessons have helped a lot, it helps even more to use it outside of the classroom (speaking, listening, writing...).

I have plenty of opportunities to use it. About twenty percent of the population in my town speaks Spanish as their first language; there is a sizable community of Mexican immigrants here. Although the majority of the immigrant-students catch onto English quick, the adults generally have a tougher time.

Also, I have a question for those here who know multiple languages. When you dream, do you dream only in a particular language, or does it change from time to time? I've had some Spanish dreams, but they occur very, very rarely.

tehb0ll0x
March 7th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Studying GSCE French at the moment. I'm not exactly fabulous with my grammar and I often forget words, but I've been told I've got a pretty good accent. ^^" I also dabbled in Spanish for a few months a couple of years ago, but I can't remember much of that.

missingnoresearcher
March 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Chinese( First Language)
Japanese (at least kanji for that matter)

Waki Tobaye
March 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM
LOL @ this.
Bueno pues yo se Español ya que es mi lengua natal(Soy de Mexico xD) and I know English too! I wanna study some Japanese soon =P
I also know Java, Python, CSS and HTML =P

curiousnathan
March 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I can read, write and speak English very well, I can also understand some lebanese and Italian. I can read, write and speak turkish very well too. So I can't really say I am good at learning laguages but I know a few.

BridZworld
March 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM
In college I currently study, A Level English and A Level Spanish in college, I have also passed GCSE Spanish & French.

Graceful
March 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
English, French, Trying To Learn Japanese (Without A Tutor Or Whatever - I Have The Internet!).

シーツー
March 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I speak English and German fluently and I also know some French.
Next year I will start studying Spanish and Dutch and I'm already looking forward to it =)

Throat
March 11th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Portuguese, even though it's a bit different of the euro one.

Callandor
March 11th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I can understand bits and pieces of Japanese. Not whole phrases or the like. Just the occasional word here and there, like onii-san and onee-san. I also know the the names of all twelve animals in the Chinese Zodiac thanks to Naruto. I also know a tiny bit of Spanish, and hello in French.

Bluerang1
March 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Well, besides English, I'm fluent in Sarcasm, learning Spanish, my Internet Slang is alright, I somewhat understand street Slang (it changes so much) and Yoruba, I loosely speak Slang but not Yoruba :)

chikorita125
March 11th, 2010, 11:58 AM
i learn't a bit of french in year 7 but thats all

Loki
March 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Mandarin Chinese, though I have a terrible English accent in it and most people think it's even more skewed by my Taiwanese accent. I can speak and converse fluently in Chinese, but I can't read or write.

Japanese and French are two other languages that I'm semi-fluent in.
And if you count English, that too.

Le Krome
March 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Obviously English. Learning French in school atm.

Ryu-kun
March 11th, 2010, 12:57 PM
GASP! No-one knows Finnish...?
That's my main language!
English is the only other language I know... (For know)

leviverrin
March 13th, 2010, 10:05 PM
GASP! No-one knows Finnish...?
That's my main language!
English is the only other language I know... (For know)
Closest thing I know is Swedish. :\

harmonic ♫
March 14th, 2010, 12:41 AM
broken Vietnamese, that's the language I speak in so serve customers.

Spanish, annd a bit of japanese.

'bout it.

Chloroform Girl
March 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM
English obviously, and a bit of french

Jubilation
March 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
English only, I never learned to speak Creole or South African, which are my native tongues. I wish I had. Damn.

Hantsuki
March 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I've taken three years of Spanish at high school, but I wouldn't say I am fluent in it. I could translate mostly, but I couldn't have a coherent conversation with anyone. All I remember is how to conjugate verbs, to be honest.

I'm still learning English because even though it's my first language, and I've been using it most of my life, everyone still has to take classes for it. Especially me because I'm an English major. 8D

And I've learned Japanese at my local Kumon Learning Center for four years which was pretty helpful even though I was primarily learning vocabulary in order to understand it. Now, it's much easier for me to learn it in my college class (since language classes in college are very fast-paced). I'm currently taking my second semester of Japanese at college which would mean I should know all the Japanese an elementary student should know by the time I'm done.

Misaka Shiori
March 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Despite of myself being Chinese, I only know English since I was born in the US and never got the chance to learn it. Maybe someday along with Japanese.

In terms of computing languages, I know Visual Basic (including VB.net and RealBasic), HTML and I'm trying to teach myself Objective-C so I can make some native Cocoa applications on Mac OS X.

alkaline00
March 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I can speak Cantonese if necessary, but mostly to family only, and I never got past basic numbers for writing and reading... I've taken lessons in Japanese and American Sign Language, but I forget everything now. I don't do well with languages unless I keep practicing and using it a lot, but I wish I stuck with the ASL, it was pretty neat.

Anti-Hero
March 15th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I only know English. However, I know bits and pieces of French, Spanish, German, Russian, Latin, and Japanese. I want to learn Russian, French, and Japanese.

tomylee1
March 16th, 2010, 12:31 AM
i know English, japans.
what you know

.little monster
March 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I am learning Afrikaans, now. :]

Dick wil weet of hulle sommer met die taxibestuurder kan afspreek om hulle weer drie-uur op te laai.

Dick wants to know if they just met the Taxi driver and if he could take them again for three hours of charge.