PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Hard

Misheard Whisper
February 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Well, I just picked up Pitfall (Nintendo Game Boy Color, 1998) for the first time in several years, and damn it is hard as hell. I've already died twice on the first level, and I can't ever remember getting past said level, even in my GBC heyday (about 2001-02)

So my question to you is this: What is the hardest game you've played? Not just hard because of tough enemies, clever puzzles, long sidequests or anything, but old platformer-hard. For example, endless jumping of platform to platform with clunky controls like Pitfall or dozens of teensy enemies that move in stupid ways, like Mario. That kind of hard that makes you scream in frustration because you look at the screen and go 'THIS SHOULD BE A PIECE OF CAKE BUT SOMEHOW IT'S NOT!'

Ugh. *goes back to Pitfall*

EDIT: ~Nintendo Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard)~

Phazon
February 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Well the controls aren't clunky; in fact they're great, but Contra 3 is the hardest game I've ever played. I lost all my lives and continued about 20~ times on level 1 before I gave up.

Jolene
February 27th, 2010, 04:09 PM
So you mean games that are unfairly hard? If that's the case, I wouldn't call that "Nintendo hard" - from what I've seen in the Virtual Console games I've played, Nintendo's NES games were pretty much the only ones that were actually fair.

Anyway, I guess that Monkey Ball Banana Blitz is hard because of the controls.

Misheard Whisper
February 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I got the title from this TVTropes article (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard) (that I should have linked to in the first post) that explains the concept of Nintendo Hard better than I did.

Taichi
February 27th, 2010, 04:35 PM
IWTBTG was the hardest game ever for me.

Yoshimi
February 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Based on controls only, Super Mario Bros. for the GBC was just awful. He jumped off of the ledges with full momentum even when I turned the other way.
If we're talking about just difficulty, Demon's Souls. The controls are good and the only time I died because of the controls is due to the mediocre aiming system.

Åzurε
February 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM
EDIT: ~Nintendo Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard)~

I am not alone! \o/ The only thing left to ask is if you're a lurker or a Troper.

I have never been one for really, intrinsically hard games. Maybe Kingdom Hearts on Proud mode. I prefer puzzle platformers or Disgaea-type games. Although, I have tried I Wanna Be the Guy, and that is freaking hard (duh).

Zet
February 27th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Sin & Punishment on the virtual console is one of the hardest games I have ever played @_@

Alistair
February 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
The Lion King on the Genesis was one tough cookie back in the day. Maybe I should pick that up again...

But the hardest game in the past two weeks I've played was the original Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on the N64. It hurts bad when you can't manual and revert. >.<

Misheard Whisper
February 27th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Based on controls only, Super Mario Bros. for the GBC was just awful. He jumped off of the ledges with full momentum even when I turned the other way.
If we're talking about just difficulty, Demon's Souls. The controls are good and the only time I died because of the controls is due to the mediocre aiming system.
Ah, I finally finished Super Mario Bros GBC just the other week. That game was certainly Nintendo Hard.
I am not alone! \o/ The only thing left to ask is if you're a lurker or a Troper. You're never alone. And I don't edit articles or even have an account, so I guess I'm a lurker - albeit a pretty fanatical one.

TJgamer
February 27th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 can be pretty dangerous in the later levels; I was actually frustrated.
The Ice World in Super Mario Bros. is a huge pain.
Donkey Kong Country is very agitating as well. Even though it's short, it's intense.

Misheard Whisper
February 27th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 can be pretty dangerous in the later levels; I was actually frustrated.
The Ice World in Super Mario Bros. is a huge pain.
Donkey Kong Country is very agitating as well. Even though it's short, it's intense.
I love the Ice Worlds in the New Super Mario Bros. I actually enjoy skidding around like I'm on steroids.

And gawds, yes, Donkey Kong Country. How could I forget? Probably because I lost my copy somewhere, actually. But anywho . . . Yes, that was one naaaaasty game.

Late
February 27th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I think Nintendo's old games were very hard but now they make too easy games.
And as I read some of you said IWBTG is hard, but actually it isn't as hard as you could imagine. There's games that are so hard that you can't even beat first stage of the game and games that only few players have ever played through.