Official AshGray Guide

Hack Made
By
metapod23
Guide Written
By
Denali

Links
Official Thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=180722)
Official AshGray Guide (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5585437)

Things You Will Need

<<<Windows>>>
Lunar IPS (LIPS) (http://www.zophar.net/utilities/patchutil/lunar-ips.html)
Visual Boy Advance (VBA) (http://vba.ngemu.com/downloads.shtml)
Clean Pokémon FireRed ROM (Google it!)

<<<Mac>>>
IPS Mac (MIPS) (http://www.zophar.net/utilities/patchutil/ips-mac.html)
Visual Boy Advance (VBA) (http://www.zophar.net/macintosh/gba/visualboy-advance.html)
Clean Pokémon FireRed ROM (Google it!)

Table Of Contents
Introduction
Download And Start Playing AshGray
Controls
The Guide
-Pallet Town
Bugs

Introduction
Hello everyone! I hope you read and find my guide useful as I continue to update it. I've noticed there's been many questions about "How do I download this amazing game?" or "Where do I go from here?" Well, this guide aims to cover all of that. If you have any questions about AshGray's development, then please post your questions in the main thread. If you have any questions about where you should go next, or where to get a certain Pokémon, then post your question here. You can also post any bugs or glitches you find in AshGray, as I will make a list for metapod23.

Download And Start Playing AshGray
First, go to the Official Thread. Then, scroll down to the bottom of the very first post, and click the link to the most recent version. Click "Save", and choose a secret place that nobody knows about. After that, download Lunar IPS (LIPS). The next thing you should do is download a clean Pokémon FireRed ROM (Can't give you a link; just Google it). Open LIPS, find the AshGray file you saved earlier and double click it. Then find the clean FireRed ROM you downloaded, and double click that. You did it! You can now play Pokémon AshGray! But wait… What do you play it on? Click the Visual Boy Advance link at the top of the thread. Save it. Open VBA (Visual Boy Advance) and click on file. Click open, and find the FireRed file you patched AshGray to. (Remember that it’s the FireRed ROM, not the AshGray file!)

Controls
Stuck on how to proceed from the start screen? Or want to make custom controls?

Face/Move Up - Up Arrow
Face/Move Down - Down Arrow
Face/Move Left - Left Arrow
Face/Move Right - Right Arrow
Z - Interact/Talk/Proceed
X - Cancel/Say No
A - Help Key
S - Help Key
Backspace - Select
Enter - Start Menu
Space Bar - Fast Forward
Capture - F12

Custom Controls - (Options - Joypad - Configure - 1)

The Guide

Pallet Town
Once you’ve gone through Professor Oak’s introduction, you will notice that you start in your room. You will also notice that trying to walk down the stairs is also going to end up in complete failure. So, you take your mothers advice. Walk up to the Poké Ball by your desk and press the Z key. Say yes, and then walk over to your bed. Stop directly on the nice and comfy pillow. Now face down and tap Z. Running through a sleek cut scene, you'll enjoy thinking about Bulbasaur and Squirtle and Charmander and - oh no! You're late! So quickly run downstairs and walk outside. You can talk to your mom, though she just says that your late (Thanks for waking me up, mom!).

Now, you'll notice if you walk north a girl will stop you, telling you to visit Professor Oak. So travel south, and stop by the other houses in Pallet Town (It’s not necessary but it's fun to see what they say!). Once you see two red posts, and a yellow path, head up it. Trying to enter the door, you'll be stopped by Gary (Or whatever you named your Rival). Listen to what he has to say (Although it's not interesting: lol), and walk through the door. You may go out the back door, but there are just some Pokémon out there. Walk up the stairs, and talk to Professor Oak. He'll talk about receiving a Pokémon, etc., etc. Interact with all three Poké Balls. Once all three are open, talk to the Professor once more. Finally, you'll receive Pikachu! Oak will also give you a Pokédex (Lazy old duff). After he's done giving his speech, walk downstairs and go out the front door and down the path. Your mom will come up to you. She gives you Running Shoes and a handy Fame Checker. Congratulations! You can now run! Just hold the X button down and tap the direction you want to go! Traveling north, the girl should be gone, therefore, you can take your first step in becoming the Pokemon Master! (And out of Pallet Town).

Bugs
-Computer dialogue box sticks to screen until it is refreshed.

metapod23
February 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for doing this, Denali! :)

The town map/fame checker bug should be fixed in the next beta.

Denali
February 28th, 2010, 09:29 AM
No problem Metapod! Just keep on doing what you do! :)

Satoshi Ookami
March 1st, 2010, 08:34 AM
Interesting... but also great idea if Metapod puts it into AG's thread =)
You sure have to continue ;)

metapod23
March 1st, 2010, 06:23 PM
Interesting... but also great idea if Metapod puts it into AG's thread =)
You sure have to continue ;)

I linked to it in the first post.

chrunch
March 1st, 2010, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to make videos instead of writing it all?

Denali
March 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to make videos instead of writing it all?
I think videos would be too lame and boring. Plsu, it could load slow and become really hard to find where you need help at. And also I would have to upload new videos every single time a beta came out. But eventually I hope to add pictures.

Bolens
March 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I love this game. Thanks for making a walk through of it. It is like a dream come true, thanks.

Denali
March 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks man! :) I'm happy at least one person likes it.... lol

Zirkle38
March 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Where does 2.1 end? Because Misty just stole my togepi, then I ran out of walking space.

metapod23
March 20th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Where does 2.1 end? Because Misty just stole my togepi, then I ran out of walking space.

That's the end of the Beta.

wez
March 22nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
where do you get a bike and how

metapod23
March 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM

Ash never gets a bike to keep, why should you? ;)

You do get one briefly when you deliver Joy the medicine from Fuchsia City. If you must keep it, just never talk to the Joy you're to deliver the medicine to.

Denali
March 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
First post has been updated!
Found more bugs! :(

Jayster23
April 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I stuck at the Legend of Dratini. I saved it and then the warden tells me to meet him at his house. Where is it?

Pokemon1222
April 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM
It's VERY good in skins, mapping AND cutscenes, however i noticed a few odd glitches and stuff...
Pikachu when used in battle comes out of a pokeball :l
You run into pokemon every 4 to 10 steps in tall grass
Misty dosnt appear during viridan forest
Town map says im at the north pole :l
I havn't fully played it yet, but from what i've played so far, this is VERY awesome, 10/10 and a recomend to anyone who is deciding to play this :D

Saiyan26
April 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Not sure if it was a glitch or what since I never got a bike voucher in this game, but if I remember correctly in the original fire red the head of the pokemon fanclub gives you one, but in this game you get an exp share. After I beat Surge and got the exp share I talked to the guy at the bike shop and he gave it to me as if I had a voucher. My guess is that even if it doesn't show up, you still get the voucher from the head of the fan club.

tommySLB
May 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hello
When I arrive has saffron city the team rocket does not allow to pass me that I have to make?
Im playing on beta 2.1
Sorry for my bad english.
Help me!!

Kininja
May 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Im surfing !!!
i have no pokemon
Help
I keep surfing into imagainary walls
i think my character maybe high O.o

Buppypuppy
May 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM
where is sunny town or whereever ur supose to deliver the medicine to

tjwilliams24
May 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
you deliver the medicine in the random poke center next to that copycat mansion thing...

jacob654951
June 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Where do I go after Cerulean? I went up north, beat all the trainers, then went south, and when I tried to go through the new "direct path" The guard said that the path wasn't finished yet. I already found the Hidden Village and caught Bulbasaur. I talked to everyone in town and nothing happened. What do I do? Please help this is an awesome game and I want to keep playing. BTW I'm playing beta 2.1

metapod23
June 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Where do I go after Cerulean? I went up north, beat all the trainers, then went south, and when I tried to go through the new "direct path" The guard said that the path wasn't finished yet. I already found the Hidden Village and caught Bulbasaur. I talked to everyone in town and nothing happened. What do I do? Please help this is an awesome game and I want to keep playing. BTW I'm playing beta 2.1

After getting Bulbasuar in the Hidden Village, go directly south - there should be a ledge. Jump it and continue downward.

neo101
June 29th, 2010, 12:41 PM
How do I get the bike after beating Koga?

liltatters
June 30th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Ash never gets a bike to keep, why should you? ;)

You do get one briefly when you deliver Joy the medicine from Fuchsia City. If you must keep it, just never talk to the Joy you're to deliver the medicine to.

What person do you talk 2 to get the bike

joseph92411
July 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM
the patch was sucessfully made but it says it cant open the file and its an unsupported file type. someone help me!

MikieJo
July 10th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Very good hack luv it can't wait for da next beta

power12
July 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I cant do the race for some reason

yamiconor
August 2nd, 2010, 04:40 AM
When I go through the tunnel to cerulean i can't go through to vermillion! why??

metapod23
August 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
When I go through the tunnel to cerulean i can't go through to vermillion! why??

You're not supposed to yet. You have to go to the Hidden Forest.

battle456
August 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
i just gave my togepi and i cant go anywhere i am stuck :(( plzz help... i playin beta 2.1 i think

Denali
August 5th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I've updated the initial guide I had up before. I will update the rest tonight... :)

Yanmega Master
August 6th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I cant open LIPS because I don't have windows... so i cant play this can I?

metapod23
August 6th, 2010, 03:51 AM

Well, you can play it on a Mac, if that's what you have. Just download a compatible ips patcher. And you need a VBA that works for Mac.

Denali
August 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Updated the Links to include Mac... Enjoy :)

rstar095
August 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I love this game but i just found out the one im playing is a demo. Dammit! and this guide would have been really helpful cause i couldnt find a couple things

Denali
August 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I love this game but i just found out the one im playing is a demo. Dammit! and this guide would have been really helpful cause i couldnt find a couple things
Thanks for the support :)
I'll try to update the guide asap...

Hashasheen
September 13th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I could use a bit of help here. I just did the whole Squirtle Squad thing and got Pikachu back, and Squirtle is joining my quest, but I don't have him as a Pokemon. Help?

Second question: Where on earth is Koba's gym? I'm just baffled.

animalman
September 19th, 2010, 12:59 AM
i cant reach koga [his statues tell me to go south and i have been to south like a dozen times but cant find any thing] [im playing beta 2.5]

even though i have completed far more episodes than his gym i cant even get the jigglypuff in grand canyon to sing [and in the school the teacher gives me something but she says u dont have room for this even though i have plenty of room]

Pixiekitten
September 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM
the patch was sucessfully made but it says it cant open the file and its an unsupported file type. someone help me!
That's what's happening to me too =(

kel27
October 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
where do i go after i help james from not getting married ????

what i do after i get sonlax from blocking the waterfall???

Red4190
October 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
how do i get into the fuschia gym!!!!

Saba
October 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Anyone know where to find that squirtle? I go through the cave, only to battle like 3 trainers, and exit at a store. And I can't fill out the survey, it sticks to the screen D:

Satoshi Ookami
October 27th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Anyone know where to find that squirtle? I go through the cave, only to battle like 3 trainers, and exit at a store. And I can't fill out the survey, it sticks to the screen D:
You must use Old Rod in pond before you enter the cave ;)

how do i get into the fuschia gym!!!!
Click on statue from northern side (mean you will be behind the statue) and click on B button in emulator (check which button is set for B).

I could use a bit of help here. I just did the whole Squirtle Squad thing and got Pikachu back, and Squirtle is joining my quest, but I don't have him as a Pokemon. Help?

You should have him in box. If you had caught something which does not belong to Ash's team.

Mickah
October 27th, 2010, 02:37 AM
where can i download it!!

Midnightviper1
November 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Does the last beta only go to that Preschool event? Cause I let the kids play with the pokemon, then the kid off in the corner asked me to look for the meowth, but theres nothing cept a giant rectangle that goes on, and nothing else happens.

munchlaxitive
December 26th, 2010, 02:33 PM
um i got squirtle and when i went t check if he was in my pc because my party was full, but he wasnt there, also i hate charmeliean, how do i level him up if he dosent listen??? the only way to get him to listen is to make him charizard then do a movie event witch is like mewtwos revenge or sumthin

SUPERARYANPOWERUP
December 28th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I beat Giselle and all that and can't seem to get to the hidden village, am I missing something?

Satoshi Ookami
December 29th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I beat Giselle and all that and can't seem to get to the hidden village, am I missing something?
Well yes :D Hidden Village is on the southwest of Cerulean City ;)

AMZMA
January 1st, 2011, 02:20 AM
i've same problem.Thanks for answered it.

SUPERARYANPOWERUP
January 1st, 2011, 09:33 PM

Right before the cave, there's a fishing hole and a house where a man gives you the old rod. Rather than walking up to the water and selecting the rod from your bag, just press A as if you were going to surf. It will ask if you want to use your old rod, and when you say yes, you'll pull up the squirtle.

Andrew McKenzie
January 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
The main problem I'm having right now is figuring out the Koga riddle.

"To enter the POISON CHAMBER and the MASTER attack, the NINJA should head SOUTH and go BACK"

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get into Koga's gym to battle him.
If I could get any help on this one, I'll be very appreciative. =D

Also, a secondary problem is, where the hell did Paras run off to? I can't find it anywhere.
I remember in the animé that they found it up a tree so I'ma try do that, but yeah. Please help me out here.

wonjoon0330
January 13th, 2011, 11:48 AM
This hack looks awesome, I might try this out! =3

ephiesode
January 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM
hi guys i'm new here but I've been playing the game. The problem i encountered was i cant seem to buy any stuff... the mart worked in cerulean but it didnt in vermillion city, i must've done something wrong because i remembered i encountered squirtle with picachu and when the got to the mart it shows nothing but questions marks with a price of 1$

himmo101
February 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
everytime i try to play it white screen comes and i cant to nothing anymore

tonique1991
June 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM
When playing as a girl, at the very begining if you change into pjs your sprite appears as a boy, and you get refered to as a 'he'. Even once you change back into your regular chlothes you remain a boy...

Satoshi Ookami
June 9th, 2011, 11:20 PM
When playing as a girl, at the very begining if you change into pjs your sprite appears as a boy, and you get refered to as a 'he'. Even once you change back into your regular chlothes you remain a boy...
Well you are supposed to play as Ash =)
Metapod did not care about girl character =)

flynnwillkillu
July 15th, 2011, 11:56 PM
how do i get squirtle!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?1!?!?!?!?!!?!!?

Aura Vitae
July 16th, 2011, 03:06 AM
how do i get squirtle!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?1!?!?!?!?!!?!!?

After falling into the Squirtle Squad's pitfall trap you should go east and enter the house. Talk to the man inside and you'll get the fishing rod. Exit and head for then water. You can heal at the girl to the right of the house if you want. When you click on the water and asks you to use the old rod click yes. Squirtle will pop up out of the water and steal pikachu, not before injuring it. Head east to the cave and enter. When in the cave go directly north and you'll find Squirtle and Pikachu. Squirtle allows you to heal Pikachu. You'll need a super potion. If you have one then that's great. If not the go to your right and follow the cave wall till you reach the exit.

Right outside of the cave is a Pokemart. Go inside and talk to the shop clerk. He'll mention something about Team Rocket before giving you a free Super Potion. Head back to where you found Pikachu and Squirtle and then use the Super Potion on Pikachu. At this moment you need to have a space open in your party besides Pikachu's spot. After you tend to Pikachu's wounds, Squirtle will see what a caring Trainer you are and want to join you on your travels.

flynnwillkillu
July 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I let the kids look at my pokemon, one wants a meowth, then i went down the path and it opened to a open field, what do i do?

Satoshi Ookami
July 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I let the kids look at my pokemon, one wants a meowth, then i went down the path and it opened to a open field, what do i do?
Oh man... again... :D
It's the end of beta...

Metapod, can I ask you something? =)
Could you add player's OW at the end of beta 3 telling player that it's the end of beta?
These posts just keep on coming :D

SwordOfIce
July 29th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Got a little problem.. the Pokémon Fan Club. They ask to see the starter pokemon but me being me, I evolved them all with training. What do I do?

ExitWound
August 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM
I don't... I don't get it. How'd everybody get past the Spearow event? I beat the level 10 Spearow with my Pikachu, the 4 Spearows block the road, and then I'm stuck on Route 1? I don't understand what I have to do now and why nobody else has seemed to have this same problem...

Satoshi Ookami
August 1st, 2011, 11:27 PM
I don't... I don't get it. How'd everybody get past the Spearow event? I beat the level 10 Spearow with my Pikachu, the 4 Spearows block the road, and then I'm stuck on Route 1? I don't understand what I have to do now and why nobody else has seemed to have this same problem...
You are supposed to swim over the water...

ExitWound
August 2nd, 2011, 06:33 AM
You are supposed to swim over the water...

Uhm.... I was unaware you could swim this early in the game -.-
Thanks for the help *facepalm*

Satoshi Ookami
August 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Uhm.... I was unaware you could swim this early in the game -.-
Thanks for the help *facepalm*
You could have tried :D
Anyways, you are able to swim in almost any clear blue water (the one with refection of you)

Toshino
August 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I have the newest beta and I'm in the Pokemon Leauge I already did the fight with ritchie and i didnt make it in time because of team rocket so i forfeited the match. So i when outside the pokemon leauge and professor oak was there and he told me to support ritchie but when i talk to the pokemon leauge guard i cant go in... What do i do????

numchuk3
August 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM
Is this whole thread a guide where you ask questions throughout the thread or is there a document somewhere?

SonicBlazePlatinum
August 21st, 2011, 01:04 PM
Where do I get the items needed for the shards that get me the shards for Speilbunk in Route 22? I know the shards for Speilbunk are at Pewter, Vermilion, and Saffron but I don't know where at. Also how do I get past the guard in the first Route 23 gatehouse? I talked to Oak and he wanted to raise one of my Pokemon.

Satoshi Ookami
August 22nd, 2011, 12:06 AM
For shards... they are either hidden as hidden items or you can get them by Rock Smashing =)

Also how do I get past the guard in the first Route 23 gatehouse? I talked to Oak and he wanted to raise one of my Pokemon.
You need to do more events after Spielbunk =D

SonicBlazePlatinum
August 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
That didn't answer my question. How do I get those items for my Pokemon for Speilbunk, and how do I get Oak to get me to enter the Pokemon League? Those are my questions.

Satoshi Ookami
August 23rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
Okay, for slower ones =)

How do I get those items for my Pokemon for Speilbunk,
Those items are Shards
And:
For shards... they are either hidden as hidden items or you can get them by Rock Smashing =)

and how do I get Oak to get me to enter the Pokemon League?
For this, you need to do this:

You need to do more events after Spielbunk =D

SonicBlazePlatinum
August 23rd, 2011, 01:44 AM
You still aren't helping. >_> You should at least be more specific you know, because that doesn't help me at all. The events after Speilbunk are the ones in between Lights Camera Quacktion and Bad to the Bone events aren't they? Also what do you mean by "slower ones"?

Satoshi Ookami
August 24th, 2011, 06:12 AM
You still aren't helping. >_> You should at least be more specific you know, because that doesn't help me at all. The events after Speilbunk are the ones in between Lights Camera Quacktion and Bad to the Bone events aren't they? Also what do you mean by "slower ones"?
How can I be more specific...? Should I open Advanced Map and tell you exactly where are those shards? Sorry can't do.
And yes I meant those events. You need to go north from Spielbunk's place.

Xz LegaCy zX
September 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM
I have the newest beta and I'm in the Pokemon Leauge I already did the fight with ritchie and i didnt make it in time because of team rocket so i forfeited the match. So i when outside the pokemon leauge and professor oak was there and he told me to support ritchie but when i talk to the pokemon leauge guard i cant go in... What do i do????

Pretty much what this guys said ^

jvpski3
September 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM
THIS WILL BE THE official guide, once it gets more. Nice job! :) Love it)))))!

bhavik0077
November 1st, 2011, 04:15 AM
i m not able to patch the ashgary verion 1.0 by ips 2.0 and 3.0 its still the same game m blocked as there is no way after giving togepi to misty i followed the same instruction as said in post... what should i do????????????? plzzz help

pokemonmaster649
November 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Excuse me, but I have Pokemon Ash Gray 3.6.1 but I don't know how to go to Cinnabar. Any and all help would be appreciated.

So I actually found the way to do it thanks anyways.

So I actually found the way to do it thanks anyways.

ArnoutvandenBosch
January 19th, 2012, 09:58 AM
i've been searching for hm surf in the safari zone but cant find it help please (i;m already in the safari zone and havent got a single hm yet is that right or have i missed every single one)??

carlitoedua
February 6th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Excuse me, I have Pokemon Ash Gray 3.6.1 and I need help in the next :

I just finished the mission of the movie and I really do not know what to do now because I lost my raft and I can not swim in the sea .... HELP pleaseee: D , how I come back to palet town ???

lyd.ericsson
February 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM
where can i get hm flash ??

pokefan harry potter
February 24th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Where is the EXP. Share? I have been searching for it for a while, but idk where to find it

metapod23
February 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Where is the EXP. Share? I have been searching for it for a while, but idk where to find it

You get it in Vermilion at the Fan Club by showing Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle.

For the older questions, there are no HMs in the game.

Alinthea
February 25th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Sorry guys, only just seen that this thread has been bumped up.

I am going to have to close it I am afraid.